SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

naseoul

:welcome Denise!
Just wondering, but is there a reason why 'Stephanie' became 'Denise' and not some other name?  :yippee
#1831 - April 29, 2008, 03:25 PM

Stephanie Denise

:welcome Denise!
Just wondering, but is there a reason why 'Stephanie' became 'Denise' and not some other name?  :yippee

Whoops!  I forgot to mention that Denise is my middle name!   :writing3

And thanks for the welcome!
#1832 - April 29, 2008, 06:09 PM

:welcome Stephanie Denise!  I am a huge Octavia Butler fan, with Kindred being my fav.
#1833 - April 30, 2008, 08:03 AM

Cynbad

I've been posting here for a short while and thought I'd finally introduce myself. I'm a freelance illustrator living in Chicago. I discovered in college that I could write and took all the writing courses I could in undergrad while still focusing on art. I have a wonderful career as an illustrator right now but had to put writing on hold to focus on that.  Back in January, I finally started writing the PB story that's been floating in my brain for years.   I am currently enrolled in a children's book writing course which has been extremely helpful.   I'm also illustrating the story.  For anyone in the Chicago area, I highly recommend the PB illustration class offered at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (adult continuing ed). I took it a few years ago and found it to be the most rewarding class I've ever taken.  I'm married to a drummer and we have no kids, 3 cats. 
#1834 - May 01, 2008, 07:09 AM

Stephanie Denise

:welcome Stephanie Denise!  I am a huge Octavia Butler fan, with Kindred being my fav.

:love  Yea!!  Octavia Butler fans, we rock!  (She is the author who has had the biggest influence on how I look at the world.)
#1835 - May 01, 2008, 09:23 AM

I've been posting here for a short while and thought I'd finally introduce myself. I'm a freelance illustrator living in Chicago. I discovered in college that I could write and took all the writing courses I could in undergrad while still focusing on art. I have a wonderful career as an illustrator right now but had to put writing on hold to focus on that.  Back in January, I finally started writing the PB story that's been floating in my brain for years.   I am currently enrolled in a children's book writing course which has been extremely helpful.   I'm also illustrating the story.  For anyone in the Chicago area, I highly recommend the PB illustration class offered at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (adult continuing ed). I took it a few years ago and found it to be the most rewarding class I've ever taken.  I'm married to a drummer and we have no kids, 3 cats. 

Welcome aboard, Cynbad! :)
#1836 - May 01, 2008, 02:07 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

naseoul

Whoops!  I forgot to mention that Denise is my middle name!   :writing3

Hah-hah...that explains it. I was thinking how random Denise was...like "How do you get Denise from Stephanie?"  Oh, that reminds me, Stephanie IS a common name. I have a very good friend named Stephanie... :lol2
#1837 - May 04, 2008, 04:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Hello to everyone,

My name is Dave and have been visiting Verla's website for several years.  Finally, I decided to join and become official.  I've been married for the past 20 years, have two boys (one in 10th grade and one in 6th grade), a golden retriever named Hobbes and two barn cats(now house cats)--Raymond and Robert.  I work full time  as a dairy veterinarian and spend my hour or so lunch time working on my stories.  I love picture books, always have since I was a young, and so I have been writing and revising my stories for the past 8 years.  While I have had a couple of close calls, I'm still looking to make my first sale.  Currently, I've taken a break from my picture book writing and instead focusing my spartan writing time on marketing and starting a rough draft of a novel that has been bouncing around in my head for over ten years.

While in undergraduate school I took extra writing and literature classes and loved them.  After starting veterinary school and for nearly 12 years after I didn't write at all.  It's funny  it took me so long to realize  how important writing and literature are in my life.  Thank you Verla for a your wonderful board!!
#1838 - May 06, 2008, 02:50 PM

Welcome to the board, Dave. :)

#1839 - May 07, 2008, 07:02 AM

Myrrhine

Hello, I'm Myrrhine, and I live and write in the Midwest. I write for a quarterly magazine here and there as part of my day job, and I just had a short essay included in an actual book published in Australia.

Historically, I love YA, but I also write for adults, just finished writing my first PB (how I ended up here), and am currently noodling over a chapter book / MG (it hasn't decided yet).

I've been lurking a bit and have already encountered lots of inspiration and good advice!
#1840 - May 07, 2008, 12:16 PM

:welcome Myrrhine and Dave!
#1841 - May 07, 2008, 07:30 PM

Katia Novet Saint-Lot

Hello Everyone,

I joined a few weeks back, but only started posting and really looking around these boards yesterday. I'm of French and Spanish origin, and live a rather hectic life, moving around every few years to follow my UNICEF husband around. We met in New York, where I had our two daughters, and we've lived in Nigeria - where my first picture book coming out at the end of this month is set - and now in India, and we're waiting to know if we move again soon, or spend another year in Incredible !ndia. So far, I've written picture books, mainly, but I've recently launched into a Young Adult novel. I'm only at the beginning - it used to be a short story that came close to being published, but wasn't, and it hasn't left me any respite. Gotta get it out of my system, somehow. We'll see if I manage to write such a long piece of work. I find the task daunting, to say the least. I'm mostly interested in multicultural themes, anything to do with cultures mingling - or not, and why?

It's great to be here.  :broccoli
#1842 - May 07, 2008, 08:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, new folk! Katia, it sounds like you have an interesting life, and how great for your daughters, to be growing up all over the place. Congrats on your picture book, too. Make sure you tell us all about it somewhere.

Dave, I think many of us can relate to your experience of going off and doing other things - career, family, whatever it is, and then one day realising that writing is calling us, that it's maybe been there waiting for its moment all along. 'Close calls' sounds very promising indeed. It sounds like you're well and truly on your way.

Myrrhine, congrats on your essay. I live in Australia - maybe I'll come across your piece without even realising it!
#1843 - May 07, 2008, 09:55 PM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
It's been a couple of years since I first began lurking on these wonderful boards, finally signed up, and am continuing to enjoy and be inspired by everyone's input and feedback!  I have a number of pub credits, am still submitting and revising various mss, but have slowed down a bit, because visiting family and grandbaby are cutting in to my writing time!   :smile  My husband and I now live in California, but we've lived in Hawaii and Minnesota, too.  I noticed a few other ATCKs are on this board -- fun!  Thanks, everyone, for making this a true community of writers.   :grouphug2
#1844 - May 08, 2008, 07:47 AM
PB CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
PB LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
YA SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more
@ipapaverison

Katia Novet Saint-Lot

Hello Meg, and thanks for the welcome ! You and I are practically neighbors  :smile
I visited your website. It's lovely. And I loved the picture with the Japanese outfit. Too bad it's so small.
Happy writing  :oncomputer

Hello to the other newbies like me, here. I don't know why it took me so long to find my way here. Hope it doesn't become too much for a good excuse to chat more and write less  :uhuh

Bye, now.
Katia
#1845 - May 08, 2008, 08:12 AM

naseoul

:welcome all!
LOL, Meg,  after reading Katia's post about your website, I decided to take a peek at it too. I believe I am also an 'extroverted introvert'.
Katia-
Hope it doesn't become too much for a good excuse to chat more and write less
Wish I realized that last summer... I mean sure, I got a lot of wriiting done, but I would have gotten MORE done if I hadn't checked the forum over and over again. Luckily, now I learned my lesson...Too bad school doesn't get out until next month. :jail
#1846 - May 10, 2008, 08:05 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi everyone,

I've been poking my head in a few threads, but am a bit cyber-shy  :invisible so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Hélène, from Ontario, Canada by way of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. I write non-fiction for a kid's science mag and an ed publisher. Working hard to place a few fiction manuscripts (middle grade and early chapter books).

This is a great forum, I've been really enjoying the discussions. :-)

#1847 - May 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Welcome aboard, Hélène! Glad you've been enjoying it here so far. :)

#1848 - May 10, 2008, 09:05 PM

naseoul

:welcome Hélène! Thanks for overcoming your 'cyber-shyness' and introducing yourself!  :yippee
#1849 - May 11, 2008, 03:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks G.R. and LNLee!   :smile
#1850 - May 11, 2008, 05:58 PM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Katia Novet Saint-Lot

Welcome Hélène. I'm new too, and have a French name like you :)
#1851 - May 12, 2008, 01:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Katia, thanks for the welcome!

I see your publication date is THIS month. Congratulations!!
#1852 - May 12, 2008, 07:49 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Katia Novet Saint-Lot

Thanks, Hélène. Yeah, it's kind of crazy and surreal :)
#1853 - May 12, 2008, 08:20 AM

Stephanie Denise

:star2 Welcome Myrrhine and Dave and Katia and Tori and Hélène! :star2
#1854 - May 12, 2008, 02:42 PM

pschmatz

Hi Everyone - I've been posting for a couple of weeks and decided to finally do the formal introduction...

My name is Pat Schmatz and I write middle-grade and YA fiction.  I first got serious about it in my 20s and thought I'd be immediately brilliant and published but...um...well, that didn't quite work out the way I envisioned it.  20 years later, I finally have 3 books published.

I live in rural Wisconsin, so this board is a great way for me to connect with writing community. 

My most influential books:  The Outsiders (Hinton), Henry 3 (Krumgold), Hills End (Southall), Wrinkle in Time (L'Engle), and more currently, I'm inspired by Markus Zusak (author of The Book Thief...and his earlier books about the Wolfe brothers are also terrific).
#1855 - May 17, 2008, 04:22 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Welcome pschmatz,

Were in Wisconsin do you live?  I live in Evansville, a small town just south of Madison. 

Dave
#1857 - May 17, 2008, 09:20 AM

naseoul

:welcome pschmatz! Thanks for taking the time to make a formal introduction! I love Wrinkle In Time, too....and all of the other books in that series.
#1858 - May 17, 2008, 04:23 PM

I guess I should formally introduce myself. I just signed up about a month ago. (Can't wait 'til I get fifty posts and become a REAL member.) Let's see . . . I'm married with a five year old and a two year old. I write mostly poetry but have also written pb's, easy readers, mg's, and one YA. So, you can say I've tried everything. So far, I've only had luck selling my poetry. Oh! And last year I was at a conference in which a (funny) poem of mine won in a contest (put on by the conference) and the next day another writer said, "Oh, you're that funny poetry girl, huh?" So, I've been going by that name ever since. I guess it's better than "stupid poetry girl" or "boring poetry girl."
#1859 - May 17, 2008, 07:00 PM
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:39 PM by funnypoetrygirl »
FORGET ME NOT (Feiwel & Friends, 3.14.17)
www.ellieterry.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/ellieterrybooks

pschmatz

Hey, welcome Funnypoetrygirl.  You're right, there are much worse things to be called than that!

Dave, I live about 15 miles east of Stevens Point.  Gorgeous Wisconsin!  But most of the SCBWI community seems to be down south around Milwaukee and Madison...
#1860 - May 18, 2008, 04:24 AM

Members: