SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

naseoul

Funnypoetrygirl, I think that name suits you well. Your post made me  :smile .
I'm trying to become a real member, myself.  :D
#1861 - May 18, 2008, 07:12 AM

Welcome Funnypoetrygirl!  I started out writing poetry too.  Did it for twelve years before realizing what I truly wanted to write was young adult and middle grade.  But I think poetry gave me a really good basis for making words work really hard.  :)

Anyway, :welcome

:)
Tabitha
#1862 - May 18, 2008, 08:31 AM

Allison

Hi, everyone!

My name is Allison, and I just recently started working on an idea I have for a children's book.  I'm single and have no kids of my own, but I want to write stories that children might enjoy and perhaps learn from.  I studied English and literature in college and now realize that what I want to do is write books.  So, I am very new at this,  but I am very excited, too!  :yippee   

Thank you to Vera Kay for her website and this message board and thanks to all of you to your posts.  This is a great forum!    :thankyou
#1863 - May 18, 2008, 10:46 AM

Allison

Hello, again:
  I just wanted to write again and apologize for my typo in my previous post: I just realized I had typed Vera instead of Verla Kay.  I'm terribly sorry about that.

So, thank you to Verla Kay and to everyone on this forum.
#1864 - May 18, 2008, 10:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome Funnypoetry girl and Allison! Did I miss anyone? If so--welcome to you too.  :love
#1865 - May 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. May we all become REAL members soon!
#1866 - May 19, 2008, 08:38 AM
FORGET ME NOT (Feiwel & Friends, 3.14.17)
www.ellieterry.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/ellieterrybooks

naseoul

:welcome Allison. It's totally fine that you made a typo. We all make mistakes.  :smile
#1867 - May 19, 2008, 04:22 PM

Becky

Greetings,

I'm new and a little lost-trying to navigate my way around and sort through all the wonderful information and boards.  :eh2

I'm working on a mid-grade novel-deep in the rewrite stages.   :gaah

becky
#1868 - May 20, 2008, 09:26 AM

Arya

:yay :welcome Becky! If you need any help, feel free to PM me. :)
~Arya
#1869 - May 20, 2008, 09:38 AM

Becky

THANKS, Arya :eh2!  Uhmmmm-what does PM stand for?   :eh2
#1870 - May 20, 2008, 10:00 AM

PM = personal message and  :welcome to the blueboards!
#1871 - May 20, 2008, 05:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome new folk! I am something of a funnypoetrygirl myself, though in my case 'funny' is attached to 'girl' rather than 'poetry'. And also I'm not really a girl any more by any stretch of anything. So maybe I'm kidding myself. Love poetry, though, and am glad to see another poet here.

W/regard to the PMs, I don't think newbies can send/receive pms, can they? I could be wrong, but I seem to recall this coming up in the past.
#1872 - May 20, 2008, 05:50 PM

Becky

Thank you, greeneyes and MegM for the welcome and PM info. 

How long is does one stay a 'newbie'?
#1873 - May 20, 2008, 06:05 PM

Counting down until May 16, 2020!
Member.
Poster Plus
You stay a Newbie until you reach 50 posts, at which point you are a Poster.  You become a full member and get the right to many new things such as a Members' Only board when the admins feel you are ready and make useful posts.  For example, I signed up in December and am still a Poster, so its not an automatic thing.

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=24095.0
See the above link for more info.
#1874 - May 20, 2008, 06:08 PM
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:10 PM by FutureDoctor »
PM me anytime!
www.alliesakowicz.com

Becky

Thanks, FutureDoctor-for the link and the information.
#1875 - May 20, 2008, 06:14 PM

MegM:

Glad you're funny, too. I'm not a "girl" anymore either. I'm twenty something. And, although I did consider the name funny poetry woman, I thought it sounded a little wierd. And besides, that writer at the conference I attended did specifically call me a girl. When do you think I'll have to change my name?
#1876 - May 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
www.ellieterry.com

pschmatz

Don't change it, Funnypoetrygirl.  Everyone should get to have such a good name.  I'm thinking you probably are a post-woman girl (having evolved through the point of being worthy of called "woman" and now with a rounded identity and sense of humor, able to happily reclaim "girl").
#1877 - May 21, 2008, 07:36 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
 Welcome Allison, Funnygirl, and Becky!  I've been on the board about four or five months, and it is so chock full of information!  You will love it here.  Also, funnygirl, I love poetry too, and I love silliness!  But you can still call me Kelly :D
And to the new Wisconsin blueboarder, I'm not in Wisconsin, but close!  I live in Illinois near the border, but I am visiting the Hayward area this weekend!  I love Wisconsin!
#1878 - May 21, 2008, 04:35 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

naseoul

Welcome Becky!
Well, I love poetry, too. LOL
Hah-hah, funnypoetrywoman...I think you should keep it as funnypoetrygirl.
'woman' sounds too...cheesy, like Bionic Woman or something...
#1879 - May 21, 2008, 04:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Sadly, my 'funny' was more 'strange' as in 'humorous'. On the 'girl' thing, I like pschmatz' theory - of moving through 'woman' to a reclamation of 'girl'. That's what I'm going to go with.
#1880 - May 21, 2008, 07:46 PM
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:48 PM by MegM »

Yeah. Sounds good to me. I'll keep it for life. I hope to see all of you other poetry lovers on the poetry board, as well. Toodles for now.
#1881 - May 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
www.ellieterry.com

Member.
Poster Plus
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for a while and this sounds like a good place to break the ice.  Books have always been a part of my life.  An only child, for most of my childhood, I learn how to read early on and even when I didn't know how to read, my mom would always put me to bed reading me a story.  Becoming a writer was never an ambition I had, it just never crossed my mind.  However, when I look back now, I realize that I was always writing about something.  From letters, diaries, or stories, that ended in the trash, I always had something to write about. 

Not long ago one of my daughters was having trouble finding the right books to read.  Since we had already exhausted every book on the subject she liked. I had the idea of writing a story for her.  I commented this to my husband and he encourage me to do so and maybe to even try to publish it.  At first I didn't give the idea a second thought, but after a second time he mention the idea, I started lurking around writers sites, and reading books on the subject. 

My original idea for the story I wanted to write for my daughter never really worked out.  I haven't given up on it, though.  I just saved it and keep the folder around, usually close to me.  Once in a while I go back and see what can I change, sometimes it works and then sometimes I sight in frustration and save it again.  Maybe the next time.  In the process however, other ideas have grown and I'm working with one of them at the present. 

Thank you for reading, and let me add also how awesome this site is.   
#1882 - May 25, 2008, 08:00 AM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:20 AM by GLG »

Welcome, GLG. I hope you have fun posting here! :)

#1883 - May 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Chase

Hi.  I just joined not too long ago.  I have been writing for a very long time and seem to have a pile of genre in which I write.  I was excited to see a writer's forum for children's writing!  I have made it my goal this year to submit many of my writings in the various fields.  I have two children's books completed and many in the process.  It will be nice to meet and talk to the members here.

~~Chase
#1884 - May 25, 2008, 07:20 PM

Welcome aboard, Chase! ;D

#1885 - May 26, 2008, 05:12 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Arya

:hurrah  :confetti

:welcome Chase!
#1886 - May 26, 2008, 09:26 PM

:welcome GLG and Chase!

GLG, your story of how you started writing is very similar to mine.  I too noticed a lack of a certain type of book on the market, and decided to write it for myself.  I don't have any children, but have tween cousins who I sometimes buy books for.
#1887 - May 27, 2008, 03:09 PM

Catherine

Hello everyone.

My name is Catherine. I am a relatively new writer, and I've joined the boards because in August I begin penning Hulk Hercules: Professional Wrestler, the first in what we hope is a series called MYTHtery Kids for the emerging small press Cats Curious.

Some of you here (Sarah! Maggie! Melissa!) might know me from live journal. I post a journal there under cathschaffstump and my website is called Writer Tamago. I write both adult and YA, although it looks like I am well on my way to becoming a YA author.

I'm here because in spite of my opportunity to write a series (an interesting string of events that I'd be happy to share with interested parties) I have a lot to learn about the whole industry, and I'm hoping you'll teach it to me. I am an eager, willing to learn student.   :stars

At any rate, I'm happy to be here, and I will stop by often.

Catherine
#1888 - June 06, 2008, 07:44 PM
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 07:46 PM by Catherine »

:welcome Catherine and  :goodluck with your series!
#1889 - June 07, 2008, 02:47 PM

acheke

Hey Everyone,

My name is Beth and my tag (acheke comes from my children's names Zach and Zeke without the Zs ) which I used so weird people on line couldn't figure out who I might be  :neck    I'm less paranoid after many years of surfing the 'net but the handle has stuck with me.

I'm a high school/computer teacher for income and a writer by passion.   :oncomputer

I'm glad to share my computer applications skills if anyone ever has questions on how to do something pertaining to your manuscript formatting, etc. :bangcomputer

I have several stories ini process, just mailed out an series of pbs, a ya and a chapter book last week.  I'm in the final revision of another chapter book that i hope will be a series.

I'm here because I love to interact, want to hear what others have to say about things like agents, queries, etc. :smile

#1890 - June 10, 2008, 09:42 AM

Members: