SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Hi, Folks!

I'm newly registered, though I've been a lurker for the last several months.  :whistle

I'm Tammy and my agent is sending a PB around and I'm in the middle of writing a YA novel. After looking at lots and lots of sites, I have to say that Verla's is great and I'm so impressed with the posters and their good advice and their sincere kindnesses to questions. What fun! Finally, I just couldn't stay a lurker any longer.

(Hope I don't go from 'lurker' to 'berserker'!!!)
#1891 - June 10, 2008, 02:30 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, Beth and Tamilyn. Sounds like you guys are right in the thick of this thing we call writing. I can relate to the pb/chap book/YA  thing myself and there are quite a few of us here writing for a range of ages. You're right that this is a great site and you'll find lots of support and wisdom at all stages of the process. Best of luck with your submissions.

And I really wish there was a category 'berserker'. on the TWOP (Television Without Pity) site, you can achieve the rank of 'stalker', although that suggests a commitment to television I can't quite find in myself.
#1892 - June 10, 2008, 04:35 PM

Hi, Folks!

I'm newly registered, though I've been a lurker for the last several months.  :whistle

I'm Tammy and my agent is sending a PB around and I'm in the middle of writing a YA novel. After looking at lots and lots of sites, I have to say that Verla's is great and I'm so impressed with the posters and their good advice and their sincere kindnesses to questions. What fun! Finally, I just couldn't stay a lurker any longer.

(Hope I don't go from 'lurker' to 'berserker'!!!)

For me there is no other board but this one.  Except for the Trumpet Herald (trumpet players chat room) and the Daily Drool (basset hound chat--no, we don't chat with bassets, but only because their paws are too fat to type). Oh, and Cougarfan.com (BYU football!).  What?  You mean I'm supposed to spend time writing, too???
#1893 - June 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Thanks for the welcomes, Meg and Bryan. Ages ago, Bryan, I used to play the trumpet...until I got braces my senior year.... :ahh
#1894 - June 11, 2008, 06:46 AM

naseoul

Welcome, all! (I'd welcome you all indivdually by name but it's been such a long time since I last checked this thread that my short-term memory failed me halfway)
acheke, your post made me laugh. Your name is really cool...I wish I'd been more creative with MY name...and not just put my first and middle initials. Heh.
I'm a little paranoid too, but I fail to achieve anything with my paranoia.
#1895 - June 12, 2008, 06:55 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Wow! I haven't dropped by here in a while -- great to see so many newcomers! Welcome, everyone. This is a terrific place. You'll love it!  :love
#1896 - June 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

Rena

I'm new here and thought I'd say hello.  Most of what I write is geared for 4-8 year olds.  I've been lurking for awhile and have found a lot of helpful information on this board.  Thank you.
#1897 - June 17, 2008, 07:24 AM

SproutQ

Welcome, Rena!
#1898 - June 17, 2008, 09:45 AM

LaurenSharman

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the board and just wanted to introduce myself...

My name is Lauren Sharman, and I began my writing career six years ago.  I have a four-book, romantic suspense series published with Whiskey Creek Press, and an Edgy YA novel (Think...a modern-day version of S.E. Hinton's, THE OUTSIDERS) for which I am currently seeking an agent. 

I've heard amazing things about this board, and am bery happy to be here
  :skull
#1899 - June 17, 2008, 11:59 AM

kadje70

Hi everyone!  I've been around for a few weeks but I haven't formally introduced myself.  I am a wife and mother of three kids.  We tend to move quite a bit.  No, we are not military nor are we in the Witness Protection Program.  We are about to embark on yet another move - this time to Ohio(we are currently in NJ).  This will be my seventh state and my eighth relocation.  While I wrote through highschool and college, I put it aside once I married and had kids.  It was always a "someday dream."  Finally I realized that by the time I had three or four hours of free time a day to write, I would probably be too old to read the writing on the computer screen.  If I was ever going to really write, I had to make the time.  So I did - during my kids' karate, piano, gymnastics, etc.  My husband bought me a laptop (bless his heart!) and my story grew wings.  I am now composing my query letter which I hope to begin sending out soon.  I should probably wait until I move though (again!).

I love these message boards and I am thrilled to be a member.  It is great to know I'm not the only first timer out there.  The advice and encouragement I have already received has meant a lot to me. 

Hopefully, you will be seeing me around these boards for a long time - one day I might even make it to the Good News Board!!

Oh, the picture is of me in the tub.  It was taken a just a few years back.   :whistle
#1900 - June 17, 2008, 01:47 PM

Counting down until May 16, 2020!
Member.
Poster Plus
Welcome, Lauren and kadje!  This board really is fantastic...I hope you have a great time here.  I look forward to getting to know you guys, and good luck in finding an agent.
#1901 - June 17, 2008, 01:49 PM
PM me anytime!
www.alliesakowicz.com

taradawn

Hello everyone. I've been here for a few months now but haven't introduced myself.

I'm Tara and I've always been a writer. From the moment I learned to read, I crafted stories. My first book twisted fairytales into modern first-grade silliness, illustrated by my best friend. When I told my great-grandparents I had written a book, they actually went to the bookstore to find it!   :ohno

I worked in publishing for a very short time (10 months) before moving to high-tech marketing. I wrote sales literature, press releases, and trade articles--all kinds of boring, professional stuff that contributed to the irrational exuberance of the late 90's.  :oops

I've always said that I'd offically begin my writing career when my kids were in school. Well, I just got tired of waiting. Like kadje, I decided to make time. I often work while my baby naps or late at night when everyone's asleep. Please excuse the dishes in the sink and the loads of unfolded laundry.

I've been writing regularly for the past two years now (taking a generous break after the birth of my second daughter) and I've just started to submit my work.

This board is an incredibly generous, supportive place and I'm thankful to be a part of it.  :thanks2
#1902 - June 18, 2008, 07:02 AM
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:03 AM by taradawn »

Hi, Rena, Lauren, kadje, and TaraDawn!

I'm new, too, so I'll be watching the BlueBoards for your posts. Here's a toast for this latest class of newbies: may we all meet again on the Good News boards!!

Cheers!
 :goodluck
#1903 - June 18, 2008, 07:50 AM

Word

Hi everyone.  I'm justa word, yeah I'm only a word.  And I'm sitting here on slush pile hill...

I'm DeeLaine at SBCWI and Word here.  I've been writing for about the last three/four years or so and still loving every minute of it.  I've been a member at Verla's for quite a while, but more of an occasional lurker because that's about all I have time for lately.  Full time mom, full time job, critique group, reading, writing, OI!  I love it - but it doesn't leave much time for the boards.

However - when I do have time, this is my favorite board to visit.  

Anyway - about me - I spent my teen years in the 80's.  'Nuff said.  I love to laugh till I snort and have watery eyes.  I love finding the humorous quirks of everyday life.  I love a good "thinker" novel as much as a good old "LYAO" novel.  I have no idea what "LYAO" means but my 12-year-old assures me it is appropriate in this sentence.   :lol

I have recently read a couple of blueboarder books - Curse Dark as Gold and 13 Reasons Why by Elizabeth Bunce and Jay Asher respectively. (Loved them both) The next thing on my to do list is to make a list of other Blue Boarder books and complete my summer reading list.

Writing career wise - I've advanced to the stage of "personal rejections".  Hooray!  I'm finally being rejected personally!  

Cheers -

Word

#1904 - June 18, 2008, 07:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Hi Everyone and a special shout out to rainchains who pointed me in the blue direction  :hug 

I'm a mom of three boys ages 7,5 and 3...so some days I feel like this... :bangcomputer!!!!!!  They are actually very wonderful boys though, so I am extremely lucky.  I am a former special education teacher and have been an SCBWI member for about a year and a half.  I always wanted to be a writer but  wasn't comfortable with the emotional exposure that came with authentic expression when I was a teen and young adult, my writing suffered because to it.  Now I'm 38 and my dad passed away from a brain tumor about 3 1/2 years ago.  In ten months the tumor took his sight, his mobility and his life, but never his love for me.  I began to write.  I wrote to work through the loss, I wrote to find something more and I continue to write to honor the very best of him...which I believe he would say without reservation was myself and my brother.  The joy this process is bringing me doesn't need the end result of publication, but I will glory in the moment when I dedicate the YA I am writing to him. 

Love Grows... :hearts
Kim

PS I'm officially addicted to the little graphics
#1905 - June 18, 2008, 10:36 AM

kadje70

Hi Word!  I hear you about the '80.  Remember the 'had to have it' shoes were Candies (I still remember the noise they made) and the jeans were skin tight Gloria Vanderbilts?  Oh, and the spiral perms?  At least that is how it was in my neck of the woods.
#1906 - June 18, 2008, 10:41 AM

Word

Oh yeah - those lovely spiral perms.  My hair NEVER looked spiral-ly.  It did look BIG and I eventually was able to grow a very nice set of "Mall Bangs"!

When I was in middle school, the skin tight jeans (jordache, gloria, sasson) were all the rage.  Flipped up collars and izod logo's AND don't forget about the monogrammed sweater.  My mom actually saved a monogrammed sweater of mine.  Too funny.

In high school it was Zena's (pin striped of course) and Bastaad clogs.

So it sounds like your neck of the woods was pretty darn close to my neck of the woods.  How did we EVER survive?

It's good to meet you kadje70!

And you too Kimmiepoppins. I recognize your name from SBCWI.  Sorry to hear about your dad.  How aweful.  Sending an e-hug.
#1907 - June 18, 2008, 11:11 AM

:welcome Word and Kim!

Kim, I'm very sorry to hear about your father.  :grouphug2 :hearts  I'm rooting for you to finish your mss/tribute to him.
#1908 - June 18, 2008, 07:09 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm an (gack!) aspiring writer--YA novels, hopefully...one day... I've been lurking here for a couple months, and decided to go for it.  I haven't told anyone that I write, so it's nice to have this outlet.  And you're all so smart and generous and supportive; I'm really excited to be a part of the boards.   

I think this is my favorite smiley so far:  :mob    But in no way a reflection on me, personally.  I swear.

Nice to meet you all!
#1909 - June 19, 2008, 07:39 AM

kadje70

Welcome paperback.pixie!

Just think... someday you will write a best-selling novel and have the joy of telling all your friends.  "YOU WRITE??!!" they will squeal.

"Oh, here and there," you will reply humbly.

Best of luck!!!
 :goodluck
#1910 - June 19, 2008, 01:08 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say  :welcome to everyone. I write in spurts and since starting a new spurt I'm back on the blue boards again! I love hearing about other writers with kids and such. We are moving again this weekend too.  :welcome :welcome everyone!!!
#1911 - June 19, 2008, 02:11 PM

Poster Plus
Go for it, paperback.pixie... Not telling is the best way. It frees you up to write without  :mob looking over your shoulder and asking when you're going to be published. Take it from me, I learned the hard way!  :ahh Everyone in my family thinks I've given up...  :whitebunny
#1912 - June 19, 2008, 02:13 PM

Thanks, kadje70!  That's so sweet and very, very, very optimistic of you! 

And I completely agree, brendao.  It's hard not having someone to talk to when I'm in a writing crisis (often!) but it definitely takes the pressure off!

Hi bechick!
#1913 - June 19, 2008, 02:22 PM

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
Welcome Kimmiepoppins,

:woo

There's no place like the BlueBoards to share good news, gain strength through bad news, become inspired, learn, grow, and make the best friends in the writing world.

:grouphug2

And we have the best Smiley's too.  :lol

Rainchains :horse
#1914 - June 20, 2008, 03:49 PM

WillSmall

Hi everyone.  I registered recently but haven't posted.  I've completed my first novel and have it out to one last beta reader before I begin querying agents.  I'm already anxious about how that's going to end up.  Anyway, these boards look great.  I'm excited to start using them.   :D
#1915 - June 22, 2008, 03:14 PM

Lea

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here since I started writing for children a couple of years ago. I think Verla's forum is the best thing going! It's amazing how engaged and engaging this community of writers is. 

I've written a few PBs and two MGs, the first of which will remain in the dark recesses of my closet forever. (Never say forever?) I recently attended Darcy Pattison's Novel Revision Retreat. Highly recommended, especially the Shrunken MS technique! I'm revising my MG based on what I learned at the retreat, and with feedback from my fabulous writing partner, JMPrince.  I haven't submitted anything yet, but I've been working hard to learn the craft, so I'm about ready to let the rejections roll in!

About me- I live in Tucson with DH and my three daughters, 6, 4 and 2.  I love love love kids' books!

Lea
#1916 - June 22, 2008, 11:29 PM

JMPrince

:love
 :yay
I'm so glad you're finally posting, Lea!!!
 :grouphug2
#1917 - June 23, 2008, 09:56 AM

Welcome, welcome, Lea! I hope you don't have TOO many of those rejections rollin' in.
#1918 - June 24, 2008, 09:26 PM
FORGET ME NOT (Feiwel & Friends, 3.14.17)
www.ellieterry.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/ellieterrybooks

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
 :woo

Hi Everybody,

My name is Laura. I've been a registered reader on these boards for a few months now and feel so excited to have found such a terrific community of writers.  I've loved writing all my life, but didn't begin writing in earnest until my son was born almost eight years ago.  I've had over 100 poems, stories, articles, and crafts accepted at places like Highlights, Spider, and Clubhouse Jr. - my humorous poem "Sprinkles and Fudge" appears in this months Clubhouse Jr.

I'm in the early stages of a possible poetry collection for young readers and look forward to contributing and gaining insight from this board.

Here's to many good writing days ahead!

Laura 
#1919 - June 29, 2008, 05:17 PM
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:19 PM by poet »
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT ARK
 GOODNIGHT MANGER
LOVE IS KIND
 DIVA DELORES & THE OPERA HOUSE MOUSE

Nice to have you aboard, Laura. Congratulations on your work that's been published/accepted, and good luck with that poetry collection! :)

#1920 - June 29, 2008, 05:52 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Members: