SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Christye

:star2 :hearts  Welcome! :hearts :star2

I'm fairly new to the blueboards too!  It's a great way to connect.

Congratulations on your  publications!

Christy
http://ChristysCreativeSpace.blogpsot.com
#1921 - June 29, 2008, 06:39 PM

TouchTomes

OMGosh, my first post here, and I've never seen such a plethora of little animations to choose from!

I decided to write a book for iPhones and iPod Touches. I chose to try my hand at the "Choose Your Own Adventure" or "Fighting Fantasy" formula, where the reader makes a choice about which page to turn to next. "You see a chest. If you open it, turn to page 87; if you take the time to check it for traps, turn to page 95." Page 95: "While you are engrossed checking for traps, a horrible troll creeps up behind you and eats you." Yeah, that kind of thing. I centered the story around a historical interest of mine, the Duke of Wellington and the Battle of Waterloo, where Napoleon was finally defeated. With 27 endings there were more than a few plot-lines to juggle, but each individual story is quite short, which helped. A family member helped with illustrations—my 5-year old daughter can draw better than I can.

I definitely struggled with the violence aspect that I've seen some threads here about; this was about a major battle, some violence is unavoidable, yet the book is for 9-12 year olds. I countered some of the violence with "war sucks"-style messages.

It should go on sale next week on iTunes!

Cheers,
Graham Perks
http://www.touchtomes.com
#1922 - July 05, 2008, 11:28 AM

novaren

Hi, everyone. This is my very first post... I can't tell you what an amazing resource these boards are. A moderator here pointed me to this site and I'm so glad she did (thanks, Courtney!).

As for me, I've been a struggling writer for adults for some time now, gathering up enough agent rejections on a litfic novel (about teenagers) that I gave up and put it aside to reconsider next steps. Which led me to...

...writing about teenagers _for_teenagers. I'm not sure why I was so slow to get that! Anyway, I'm writing a tween novel as we speak. (Like literally... I am typing this post in another window when I really should be writing.) My novel is under contract with Simon & Schuster / Aladdin and I'm working on the manuscript, which is due to my editor in November (eek!). I don't have an agent so I'm swimming around with a lot of questions. Oh and I'm also writing a YA novel, which I'll get back to once my tween novel is done.

Already the advice I've read here has been extremely helpful. I look forward to exploring these boards even further!

Thank you already,
-Nova
#1923 - July 05, 2008, 02:45 PM
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:09 PM by nova »

Welcome aboard, nova -- and welcome to you, too, TouchTomes. :)

#1924 - July 05, 2008, 05:38 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

kadje70

Welcome Nova and TouchTomes!!  Choose your own ending books for iphones?  That's new to me!  But then, I'm a bit of a tech-rebel so that explains a lot.  Make yourself at home !!

:welcome
#1925 - July 05, 2008, 07:04 PM

justJoan

I'm Joan from AZ. I first signed up on these boards back in January of 2006 but since I was absent for an extended period of time, I was deleted.  :faint That's what I get for not being more active.  :cry2 Anyway, I've signed up again and will try, try, try not to be deleted this time.  :whistle

Joan
#1926 - July 05, 2008, 07:57 PM

TouchTomes

Thanks for the welcome!

Now I need to find a "thinking of story ideas" thread. :writing
#1927 - July 06, 2008, 11:41 AM

Yvonne

Hi Everyone,

My name is Yvonne. I recently found these boards through the SCBWI boards. I used to teach third grade, but now I stay home with my children. My daughters are 5 and 3, and my baby boy will turn 1 on Friday. They keep me pretty busy, so I usually find time to write when they are in bed. Although I have always enjoyed writing, I finally decided to get serious about it a few months ago. Right now I am focused on picture books. My kids have been the source of inspiration for a few. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get from writing and it is also a great way to take time for myself after long days when I'm afraid I might lose my mind!  :duh  Now I just need to get going with my submissions.

I am very excited to have found these boards (though my husband seems concerned that I might become addicted to this site as well!) I have enjoyed reading over many of the discussions already and look forward to joining in!

Thanks,
Yvonne
#1928 - July 06, 2008, 07:00 PM

Welcome back, Joan. And welcome aboard, Yvonne! ;D

#1929 - July 06, 2008, 07:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Welcome Joan, Yvonne, Touchtomes, Nova, and Laura!  (whew!  :D)
Joan, welcome back!
Laura, I love poetry, too!  Good luck with your collection!
Yvonne, I'm a stay at home mom of three as well, (though mine are exactly three years older than yours) and I used to teach third grade!.  I just started writing a few years ago.  I agree that writing gives a sense of accomplishment in a world of neverending toys, laundry, and dishes.  I love staying home with my children, but the writing in the evenings helps keep my mind sharp and creative.  Happy Birthday to your baby boy!
#1930 - July 07, 2008, 02:47 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Yvonne

G.R., thanks for the warm welcome!

Kelly, your children are adorable.  :yup Thank you for your kind welcome. It is nice to connect with others through these boards. It is encouraging to me that you have been writing for a few years. I'm still working on sticking to a good writing schedule, so for now, I write when I can. Thank you for my son's birthday wishes. I can't believe he is already turning 1!
#1931 - July 07, 2008, 06:40 PM

Poster Plus
Hello everyone,

I have been around a while, too, but wanted to officially introduce myself.

Like so many others, I've been writing all my life.  I have completed one MG, am working on another one, and have a YA in the works, too.  I've had a teensy bit of success in the magazine market.  I love children's books and don't think I've read but one or two adult novels since I really got serious about writing for children six years ago.

I live in the big 'T' (Texas) and currently teach fourth grade writing and language in a small rural school.  I have two children - one just graduated from college and one is a senior in college.

These boards are so helpful and I'm so thankful to be a part of them.

I'm with Laura - here's to many good writing days ahead!

Sharon
#1932 - July 08, 2008, 12:06 PM

Welcome to the board, Sharon! :)

#1933 - July 08, 2008, 07:47 PM

Dale

Hi, everyone

This board was recommended to me by a member of another critique site. I'm having a look around and the site looks great.

Thanks for having me
Dale
#1934 - July 09, 2008, 11:17 PM

Janet

Hi

I just registered on this board recently and it's addictive.  I come to it every day.

My name is Janet and I live in West Virginia. I've only been writing seriously for a little over a year.
I have nothing published yet, but I'll keep trying.
I only wish I had started writing sooner.
I love to write children's picture books. I submitted 2 stories to Mt Horeb Mustard Museum and I have 2 I'm
going to submit to the Cheerios contest. I've written 2 MG stories also.
To me the hardest part is finding a publishing company to send the stories to. Seems like more and more
of them aren't accepting unsolicited material.

Love to write,
Janet

#1935 - July 10, 2008, 02:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Howdy Sharon!  And hello to Janet and Dale!  Welcome to the board!  Good luck with the contests, Janet!  I submitted a mustard one, too.  :D

Yvonne, it is hard to carve out writing time with three little ones.  When it is the school year, I write at naptime.  That is more difficult in the summer with two who don't nap anymore. So as I flop on the couch exhausted from my day with the kids, I try and write from 9-11pm about three nights a week.  But I have to say I haven't in a few weeks....Summer is so busy!  Good luck!   :typing
#1936 - July 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Dale

Thanks for the welcome, Kelly.
#1937 - July 10, 2008, 04:17 PM

justJoan

:thanks2 for welcoming me back.   :D
#1938 - July 11, 2008, 10:25 AM

Hello to everyone--seasoned posters and fellow newbies!

I found this website via Absolute Write and was thrilled to find a dedicated space for YA/Children's writing. I currently have a book coming out next year, a commercial women's fiction piece about an unplanned pregnancy, from St. Martin's Press imprint Thomas Dunne Books. Yet, I've always loved YA so I recently started my first young adult piece. I'm about 15K/60K through it. I'm loving (yet occasionally hating) my new project!

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all in the future as I beat my way through the writing process again!
#1939 - July 11, 2008, 11:47 AM

Poster Plus

:thanks2 :thanks2 :thanks2for the welcome! 

#1940 - July 11, 2008, 03:29 PM

Welcome aboard, mkl1025! :) Congrats on your upcoming release, and good luck on the new project.

#1941 - July 11, 2008, 05:48 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Hi there!  I'm a former teacher turned stay at home mom to two elementary age daughters.  I've been writing book reviews of adult fiction for a website for six years and have had a couple of reviews published in The Strand magazine.  I'm new to writing for children, and I'm having a ball.  One of my stories, "There's a Dog in Our Car!", will be published in the August '08 issue of Stories for Children magazine. (It's the first time I've been published!  :bananadance)  I'm looking forward to being part of this community!

:love Tracy
#1942 - July 16, 2008, 12:44 PM

Nice to have you aboard, Tracy. Congratulations on your story getting published! :)

#1943 - July 16, 2008, 06:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Congrats on your publication, Tracy, and may it be the first of many more. Welcome to the boards!
#1944 - July 16, 2008, 06:31 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Thanks for the welcome!

Tracy
#1945 - July 17, 2008, 02:57 PM

Yunaleska

So many smilies! Hi everyone, I'm Yunaleska/Yuna. I heard about this board from Shana on Critique Circle, thought I'd take a peek and I really love what I see! There's a wealth of information here which I'm slowly reading through. :)
#1946 - July 18, 2008, 10:12 AM

Welcome Yuna!  I'm a CC-er myself.  :)  This is a great board with lots and lots and lots of great info.  Fabulous people, too.  :)

Tabitha
#1947 - July 18, 2008, 11:34 AM

Yunaleska

Thanks Tabitha! CC rules....as does this forum :)  :whitebunny I like all the smilies! :cheerleader
#1948 - July 19, 2008, 04:44 AM

cathellisen

Hi hi.  I'm Cat, and I'm here thanks to TrishD who pointed me in the right direction.

I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa and I write mostly fantasy, some of which are YA friendly.

I do wish I'd know about this board ages ago. :D It's very informative.

#1949 - July 20, 2008, 06:00 AM

Giant Girl Creative Team

Hello, everyone. We're the Giant Girl Creative Team behind "Giant Girl Rampages," the first blog-novel ever published for middle-graders or teens in real time as the story unfolds.  We're writing and publishing the story online anonymously for now but look forward to "meeting" everyone here.
#1950 - July 20, 2008, 07:20 AM

Members: