SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Hi everyone!
I’ve posted a few times but just found this place to introduce myself. I’m Laura Sullivan. My debut, Under the Green Hill, a fantasy, is coming out aeons from now in 2010 from Holt. ECB told me about this site when I was interviewing her for a review of A Curse Dark as Gold, and I absolutely love it. (The site, I mean, but her book too!)  (ECB, I am so sorry but I still have no idea when that review will run. They’ve had it for ages. I just emailed the editor again to ask and no response yet. If it is any consolation, he’s still holding a big feature of mine too. Wish I had control over it, but I don’t.)

I like to play devil’s advocate, so it is possible I might bring up points just for the sake of (friendly) argument. I’ll try to keep it mellow, though! 

It is so nice to have this community of fellow writers. I feel at home here.
-L
#1951 - July 20, 2008, 08:23 AM
Blog: http://lauralsullivan.blogspot.com/
YA: LOVE BY THE MORNING STAR (soon!)
LADIES IN WAITING
MG: Under the Green Hill
Guardian of the Green Hill

A Wilder Rose

Hello!

I just joined your site and have been wandering around reading, getting sidetracked by all the information here.  And, WOW, there is a LOT!

I look forwad to talking to you about your experiences and gaining from the sharing of your knowledge.  I appreciate your allowing me to hang around!

Machelle
 :whitebunny
#1952 - July 20, 2008, 05:11 PM

Cat, Laura, Machelle, and the Giant Girl team -- welcome aboard! ;D

#1953 - July 20, 2008, 05:18 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Giant Girl Creative Team

Thanks, G.R.!
#1954 - July 20, 2008, 07:05 PM

Hi,

Thundering Elephants here.  I am living in Ireland with absolutely no idea how to use this website.  So any tips gratefully recieved.

I am currently writing a series of 20 stories, all animal based and could possibly have an artist.  Would anyone have advice on submitting these stories because in Ireland, these stories are almost never publicised.  All my stories have talking characters which also seems to be frowned upon.

Any tips would be devoured!!

Thanks
#1955 - July 23, 2008, 06:06 AM

Welcome to the board, Thundering Elephants. :)

I myself have been collaborating on a series with my father; but if you're not a previously published author, a series can be hard to sell. (Next time I submit one of our stories, I'm considering just sending it out as a stand-alone; then, if the publisher shows interest, that might be a good time to mention that we have more like it. We're also considering combining our 12 PB mss. into 3 or 4 early chapter books.)

If you're looking for places to submit your stories, you might want to take a look at The Colossal Directory of Children's Publishers Submission Guidelines: http://www.signaleader.com/

#1956 - July 23, 2008, 04:17 PM

bklynwritergirl

Hi there,
My name is Kristi aka Bklynwritergirl and I live in--you guessed it--Brooklyn, NY. I've been working on a YA novel for a little while now and hope to get to the submitting process soon. I know this board will be a great educational resource. Good to meet everyone!

Kristi
#1957 - July 25, 2008, 10:41 AM

ShannonH

Hi,

My name is Shannon Hitchcock. I've been writing since 2004. My publications credits include Highlights for Children, Cricket, Pockets, Wee Ones, Children's Writer, and a few assorted other magazines. I'm still trying to land a book contract, but so far all I've landed are rejection letters. I currently live in Tampa, Florida, but have only been here about a year. Before that I lived in New Jersey, Georgia, Nebraska, Massachusetts, and North Carolina!

My website is http://www.shannonhitchcock.com
#1958 - July 25, 2008, 12:14 PM

SuzyWilliams

So - I'm so pleased to be here. I've been writing for a long time and have known Verla for most of that. I purposefully stayed away from writing boards because I was afraid I would get addicted and lose precious writing time.  :oncomputer Well, recently I've been drawn into some online communities and they are, indeed, a great resource. Thank you to Verla, for the vision and time she took to make this place for all of us. I am author of ten (soon to be eleven) published non-fiction books for the trade and educational markets, Co-Regional Advisor for Nevada SCBWI, and a newbie on the Blue Boards. My first novel, Bull Rider, comes out from Margaret K. McElderry in February, 2009. Website - soon to be updated - is www.suzannemorganwilliams.com Nevada SCBWI website is www.nevadascbwi.org  I hope to meet some of you at the SCBWI Conference in LA. Suzanne Morgan Williams (Suzy)  PS - I finally got to use one of the cool cartoony things.
#1959 - July 25, 2008, 03:10 PM

Kristi, Shannon and Suzy -- welcome! Nice to have you all on the board. :)

#1960 - July 25, 2008, 04:10 PM

Hey everybody-

I've been lurking around here for quite some time, posting sporadically. I was using the absolutewrite.com forums for a while, but now I feel like I've graduated  :thewave and I'm ready for the boards here. I've just completed my second MG novel and it's been receiving postive feedback from both beta readers and agents alike. :yay I'm hoping to hear some good news soon. And if not, back to revising and query land I go. (Hi ho hi ho)

My first MS is somewhere in rewrite land. :gaah and  :whitebunny

In sum, I've met some awesome people on the boards here and I'm looking forward to meeting more of you.

Samantha (a.k.a. SL Hastings)

#1961 - July 29, 2008, 02:58 PM
-----
Call me Samantha or Sam...

KING OF THE MUTANTS- Debut Middle Grade, Month9Books, 2015

Welcome aboard, Samantha. :) I'm glad you've been enjoying yourself here!

#1962 - July 29, 2008, 05:24 PM

I dopn't say so every time, but I'm glad you're all here!
#1963 - July 30, 2008, 08:04 AM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

catephoenix

WELCOME, Samantha  :thewave
#1964 - August 02, 2008, 12:45 AM

kalynn

Dear authors and illustrators,

Another member who is publishing her first book this fall pointed me to Verla's. Yea! I'm here.

All my life I've written film reviews and other non-fiction articles for print. My first serious attempts at fiction were screenplays and I've had a couple of features "under consideration."

About six years ago I was inspired to write something that my children (now 11 and 14) would enjoy and as I was outlining the plot the lightbulb went off and I saw that it would make a great kids' book. (Books are my first love and one of the best things about being a mom is having the excuse to read out loud.) So, after a critique group read through my first draft and I spent another couple of years of :snail learning about narrative voice  :snail and rewriting,  :snail and rewriting, and rewriting, I tried submitting my MG magical realism novel directly to editors. (No luck.)

In the last three years I've written a MG novel for hire and have just finishished another spec novel, both in the adventure/s.f. vein. My current effort is muscling through the process of querying agents. It's easy to see that Verla's is the place to be to get all the support I need.
 :woo
Kalynn from Bloomington, Indiana

#1965 - August 02, 2008, 10:31 AM

:thanks2 guys! And hello to kalynn!
#1966 - August 02, 2008, 10:54 AM
-----
Call me Samantha or Sam...

KING OF THE MUTANTS- Debut Middle Grade, Month9Books, 2015

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Welcome, Kalynn!

My brother lives in Bloomington, it's a great place to call home.
#1967 - August 02, 2008, 11:24 AM

Rena

#1968 - August 02, 2008, 11:55 AM

JMKirk

Hi everyone! I'm a writer from Scotland. I haven't had anything published yet although the fact that I have terrible trouble finishing something before getting sidetracked into another story might have a very large part in that!  :whistle
I'm a mature student at the moment and I've decided that the long summer holidays is the perfect opportunity to concentrate on writing one thing and finishing it! I've only one year of uni left then I'll have to get a proper job again so i better make the most of this time!  :typing
I'm writing a children's science fiction novel and I gave what I had to my kids to read and because they liked it (no bias there at all ) I'm encouraged to finish it. That and the fact that they keep pestering me to finish it!  :duh
#1969 - August 05, 2008, 07:15 AM

Welcome aboard, JMKirk! :)

#1970 - August 05, 2008, 05:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Welcome to the blueboards, Samantha, Kalynn and JMKirk!  :D Good luck on your novels!!
#1971 - August 05, 2008, 06:24 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

marylovesya

:yo  I haven't officially introduced myself though I went to SCBWI and met a few of you. I'm Mary from San Francisco, and my YA paranormal is currently making the rounds with editors while I wait nervously for an e-mail from my agent. In the meantime, I'm starting a MG novel and setting my sights on some graphic novel ideas and picturebook manuscripts.

Hey everybody! I'm writing something new, so that means I'll be on here much more... instead of writing.  :mad4
#1972 - August 07, 2008, 01:52 PM

Welcome to the board, Mary. ;D

#1973 - August 07, 2008, 04:33 PM

marylovesya

Thanks G.R... I do have a question, though. How do the stars work? I've seen newbies with 2 posts and newbies with like 200, and then three star people with 2,000 and then with 100 posts, so I'm guessing the star levels aren't determined by post volume. Are they determined by... time as a member? Time online? Books published? hehe.

Just curious.
#1974 - August 08, 2008, 07:16 AM

Poster Plus
Welcome and good luck to everyone!

Sharon
#1975 - August 09, 2008, 06:46 AM

g.revisions

Hello all, I'm back, writing again.  :writing3   I used to be "goldschmidt" on this site, but I think I was inactive for too long, so I just created a new account.  I'm a writer focused on finishing a YA fantasy novel about Norse Mythology by year's end.  I'm about halfway through the first draft.  I also have a few picture books I'd like to send out -- I'm just so busy, which is writerspeak meaning I'm too lazy.   :dr

DaveG
#1976 - August 13, 2008, 08:55 AM

Hi Everyone,
I'm a real newbie to this site, but I sure am glad I found it. So much information!! And so many inspiring stories.  My name is Carol Anne, and I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia.  I am actually an art teacher at a local high school, but my passion is writing. Having written/illustrated for most of my life, I have FINALLY just submitted my full YA historical fiction manuscript (at Editor's request...fingers crossed) entitled, "Hannah and the Spindle Whorl" - a tale of a young girl who travels back to Vancouver Island in 1862 and lands in the middle of a Coast Salish village just prior to European contact.  WIsh me luck! It was really fun to write, and now that it's finished, I'm twiddling my thumbs a bit, chewing on my next book idea.
So...glad to meet you all!
#1977 - August 13, 2008, 04:25 PM
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

Nice to meet everyone, what a friendly bunch. Thought I would introduce myself since I've taken the leap from lurker to poster recently. I'm Karen, before kids I was a technical writer. Now, I've discovered the world of children's books and am enthusiastically working my way through the ICL course. I'm learning so much from reading this discussion board. I'm unpublished but have written several short stories over the past 8 months with support from my critique group. I'm gearing up to try my hand at a middle grade novel. Looking forward to getting to know other writers!
#1978 - August 13, 2008, 04:33 PM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Welcome back, Dave. ;D

Greetings, Carol Anne and Karen B! :)

#1979 - August 13, 2008, 05:11 PM

Running2StandStill

Welcome DaveG, Carol Anne, and KarenB!

Carol Anne, your novel sounds wonderful! Good luck with the editor!!  :yay
#1980 - August 13, 2008, 05:46 PM

Members: