SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

kwyn

Hi everyone! (this feels a little like jumping into double-dutch - never sure of my timing!)
I'm another lurker (DC metro area) who is starting to feel like I'm doing too much eavesdropping, so I thought I'd come forward. I've been enjoying this forum for more than a year or so and have found it the absolute best writing resource in the whole wide web. I'm currently in the agent search mode for an upper mg/ya novel, so I'm pretty much hanging out the agent discussion/response time threads like, full time. I really appreciate all the information shared here!
#1981 - August 25, 2008, 12:16 PM

Welcome, kwyn! Glad you've been enjoying here. :)

#1982 - August 25, 2008, 05:01 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Is it ok that I started posting before I introduced myself? This is not unusual for me, I tend to do alot of things backwards!

So hi everyone! I am a long time lurker who guest lurked for ages before finally registering and continuing to lurk because I never felt I had anything to add. But I delurked because I started querying again and wanted to join the trenchies. I guess I really want the online support that all of you are so great at giving! I know quite a few blueboarders from other places and am really happy to be able to post and be seen here. I've been so impressed by the quality of information and the wonderful support that is given here. I do think this is the greatest place on the web for writers.

As for me, I'm a long time practicing attorney who now works part time as faculty at a local university teaching academic research and writing and interdisciplinary studies. My blog is called Random Acts of Unkindness and I am on my second manuscript for submission. This time a YA historical fantasy set in third century East Asia. I'm just happy to be part of the boards.
#1983 - August 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

mirtlemist

:cheerleader  Hello and welcome to kwyn, ello, Carol Anne, and Karen B! Glad you delurked :)
Terri
#1984 - August 25, 2008, 05:24 PM

Kate_in_AZ

ello, I totally know what you mean about not feeling like you have anything to contribute.  The blueboarders are incredibly generous with their knowledge and their combined experiences make this board an incredible resource. 

I hardly ever post and it is because, like you, I don't usually think I've got much to contribute.  I trust that one day that will change, but for now, I just feel blessed that I learned about this site.

Anyway, I'm glad you delurked.  It is nice to know I'm not alone in the way I feel.
#1985 - August 25, 2008, 09:49 PM

Raynbow

Hi Everyone,

I just found your site yesterday. A writer I emailed on AgentQuery.com told me I should check out this site because it has such a great group of people. After spending hours reading posts last night, I joined today. I'd been feeling a little down after receiving so many rejections and not having anyone besides my husband to talk with. I'm a member of the SCBWI and have lurked a little bit on their discussion board, but never felt compelled to post anything.

Anyway, I finished my first YA fantasy adventure in January and have been sending out queries ever since. I also wrote half of a memoir that I gave up on a few years ago. I live in Hilliard, OH (near Columbus, OH) with my husband and three boys. They're still in the nap stage, so I have lots of time to write. Mostly though, I just send out queries. I can't quite get excited about writing my next novel without knowing what the future holds for the one I already wrote.

I'll be attending my first ever conference next weekend in Cleveland, OH and I can't wait to meet other writers. I know I need to join a critique group and find a crit partner, so I"m hoping I'll meet some nice people at this conference.
#1986 - August 31, 2008, 06:25 PM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Welcome, Raynbow -- and keep writing!  Don't wait to find out what will happen to the first one -- the best antidote for the Writer Blues is to keep writing!  You've found a great community, here, and glad you're aboard!   :yay
#1987 - August 31, 2008, 07:46 PM
PB CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
PB LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
YA SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hello ello!  Hello Raynbow!  Welcome to this amazing community!
#1988 - September 01, 2008, 03:12 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Welcome to everyone! Raynbow, Kate_in_AZ, (hey, I have a cousin Kate in AZ....hmm.) ello, and kwyn. You've joined a GREAT board, as I'm sure you've already discovered.
#1989 - September 02, 2008, 05:18 PM
FORGET ME NOT (Feiwel & Friends, 3.14.17)
www.ellieterry.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/ellieterrybooks

merewald

Hello everyone! I'm new (loving the smilies, btw). I just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I write YA.
#1990 - September 04, 2008, 03:24 PM

Welcome aboard, merewald! :)

#1991 - September 04, 2008, 03:57 PM

merewald

Welcome aboard, merewald! :)

Thank you! Oh! I just found this cool new smilie:  :thankyou2
#1992 - September 05, 2008, 01:12 PM

Imaginator

I've been writing for many years, mostly for fun as I love to fantasise and tell stories for MG kids. I have no idea where it'll lead me, but I know where I want to go. I need to find a clever, client friendly, caring agent who is in the closest contact with the most fantastic publisher who can't wait to get his/her hands on the next most exciting fantasy adventure to come along. :lol Well, it doesn't cost anything to imagine, does it?  :duh My latest WIP is close to being finished. I'm the type of writer who always revise as I go along and therefore I'm hoping to have it finished soon. :applause
#1993 - September 08, 2008, 07:02 PM
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:13 PM by Imaginator »

hotdoughnutsnow!

Hi everyone!  Like others on this thread, I've been a lurker and beneficiary of so many insightful, informative, and encouraging posts.  Thanks to each of you who has built this fabulous resource!

I live in South Carolina and am revising two YA manuscripts.  I'm active in my regional SCBWI chapter and in a local critique group.  I hope that within a few months I'll be ready to spend more time in the agent and editor areas of the boards when I'm finally ready to query something!

Thanks!
#1994 - September 08, 2008, 07:26 PM

What.a.great.name.  (!)
Welcome hotdoughnutsnow!
And welcome to all our wonderful and interesting newbies! Verla Kay's is the place to be!  :cheerleader
#1995 - September 08, 2008, 09:16 PM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

Welcome aboard, Imaginator and hotdoughnutsnow! ;D

#1996 - September 09, 2008, 05:08 PM

JTuttle

Hello all,
 My name is Janet, and I'm happy to be joining the boards. (It makes me feel like I should be dancing...across the boards!)
I am writing my first middle grade novel, and enjoying (almost) every minute of it!
 Janet
#1997 - September 10, 2008, 12:09 PM

Welcome Janet!!  :)  So glad you made it here!  :)

Tabitha
#1998 - September 10, 2008, 01:30 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Welcome, your artwork is beautiful!
#1999 - September 10, 2008, 01:35 PM

Mike Jung

Like many others, I'm taking the leap from lurker to poster. My name's Mike, I'm an aspiring author in Northern California, and I'm writing a MG novel involving superheroes, mad scientists, giant robots and twelve-year-old fanboys. I managed to draw the interest of an agent at the SCBWI summer conference, which has me all hot and bothered, and I'm gunning for a finished, polished draft by the end of the year.

m.
#2000 - September 11, 2008, 10:17 AM

Welcome, Mike!  And congrats on the agent, that's fantastic!! 
 :smile

Tabitha
#2001 - September 11, 2008, 11:27 AM

Mike Jung

Thank you Tabitha, I appreciate both the welcome and the congratulations. Now this agent hasn't agreed to represent me just yet...don't want to jinx it...but she had a lot of complimentary things to say about my 15 pages and said she'd very much like to see the rest of it.

m.
#2002 - September 11, 2008, 11:44 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, Mike. I think I may have seen you on the SCBWI boards? I don't post there much these days - trying to write more and surf less. I really like the sound of your novel. Congrats on the agent interest and best of luck with your deadline. I'm racing to finish up a couple of mgs myself by the end of the year after spending way too long in procrastination mode.
#2003 - September 11, 2008, 07:25 PM

Mike Jung

Hi Meg, thanks very much, and yes, you've probably read one or more of my incoherent tirades on the SCBWI site. I'm currently losing the battle to surf less, especially now that I've started posting here on the Blue Boards too, but I've successfully rationalized it by telling myself how early in the learning process I still am (which is actually very true). Good luck with your manuscripts too!

m.
#2004 - September 11, 2008, 09:19 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Hi Janet,
Welcome! Cool b/w prints! I was a print major, too (not a Masters degree though). This is the place to connect with folks who are writing MG and loving (almost) every minute.  :yup Enjoy!
Hi Mike,
Welcome! I've seen you on the SCBWI boards (where I go by Hokulea). I, too, am from Northern CA--however, there are so many cool people on this board you can make friends from all corners of the globe. Good luck sending your ms off to the agent and hope you enjoy all that the Blue Boards has to offer!  :D
#2005 - September 11, 2008, 10:44 PM
author/illustrator of HONU AND MOA (awarded 2019 Aesop Accolade) & poet contributor of THANKU poetry anthology

Sudo Nimm

Hello everyone,

I joined up on these boards to break some of the professional isolationism of being a writer.  Since there's no workplace I report to on a daily basis where I can "talk shop," I figured Verla's would be a great surrogate for that experience.  So far, I can happily say that it has been.  Thanks to Verla and everyone else for making it such a welcoming place.

Picture Books or Bust!!!
#2006 - September 11, 2008, 11:00 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Hi Sudo Nimm (very clever name!),
Welcome! Verla's is great for practically everything you need to procrastinate--er, network--in style... on the way to your next book, of course! Enjoy the camaraderie. It's second to none!
 :moose Edna
#2007 - September 12, 2008, 01:16 AM
author/illustrator of HONU AND MOA (awarded 2019 Aesop Accolade) & poet contributor of THANKU poetry anthology

Sudo Nimm

Hi Edna,

Thanks for the warm welcome.  And I know what you mean about that procrastination thing...it's a doozie.

-Candace
#2008 - September 12, 2008, 05:32 PM

Imaginator

Hi Sudo Nimm

I'm new myself, but I still want to wish you

a very warm welcome to this fabulous board   :love
Lena

#2009 - September 13, 2008, 02:30 AM

Sudo Nimm

Thanks, Lena!  :love
#2010 - September 15, 2008, 08:56 AM

Members: