SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Okay, Lena, I know how to make the smilies move, but how did you make that custom banner?  I'm very impressed.

:smile
Laurel
#2011 - September 17, 2008, 04:02 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and trying to learn everything I can about the submission process. While I was writing my MG novel, RISHI AND THE KARMIC CAT, I would just sort of switch off when folks in my SCBWI critique group would talk about publishers, agents etc. Now I actually have to pay attention and get educated in the whole process or KARMIC CAT is going nowhere fast. And they all said, read the Verla Kay boards, so here I am, finally.

So far I've only subbed my ms to one editor who requested a full after a critique at the NE SCBWI conference. After working flat out to get it done for her and sending it last month I'm kind of feeling lost, just waiting, wondering and getting antsy ... It's hard getting into my next project while it's out there, but I'm trying.

Meanwhile, it's nice to be able to read about all the truly amazing people on these boards.
Hope to learn tons here!
Nandini

#2012 - September 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
Red Turban White Horse (Scholastic India)
Starcursed (Red Turtle/Rupa India)

http://www.nandinibajpai.com

Welcome Newbies!  And Nandini, I just wanted to say how much I love your name. I tend to like French or Indian names for girls.  I heard the name Nandini in a couple of Bollywood films, (as well as Anjali which is also so pretty) and I loved it's sound and spelling.  I even put a "Nandini" in the same class as my main character of one of my manuscripts (and she wins a race in this summer camp relay).  I have to revise the story though, so my agent hasn't seen it yet.... Anyway, just wanted to say that I find it such a pretty name.  Welcome again! :smile
#2013 - September 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

Hello Emeraldgown,

Thanks for the welcome and for putting a "Nandini" in your ms ! I have three sisters and we have rhyming names ... Padmini, Rohini, Nandini; except for the youngest, who was going to be Anjni, but was finally named Anuja (which means youngest daughter) by my parents who apparently had had quite enough offspring by then.

I know which movies you mean! KKKG - Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gam, and HDDCS - Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, right? Unfortunately we can't all look like Ashwariya Rai! It's amazing to find someone who actually watches bollywood movies on an American kidlit board.

BTW my sister Anuja just published her first novel, THE ZOYA FACTOR, with Harper Collins India, two months ago. It's chicklit with a really fun bollywood/cricket (the game not the insect) angle. It's already a bestseller in India and (I think) has a better than average chance of ending up as a movie. It isn't available in the U.S. but if you can get it I think you'll enjoy reading it! (End of shameless plug for kid sister!)

Thanks again for the welcome!
Nandini
#2014 - September 18, 2008, 06:18 AM

Imaginator

:welcome to Nandini

You have a beautiful and unusual name. Apart from that, I'm an Australian and I've seen a couple of Bollywood movies on TV here. I love all the dancing, the colours and the fun storylines, of course. Hope everything goes well with your MS.

Lena

#2015 - September 18, 2008, 06:56 AM

Imaginator

Okay, Lena, I know how to make the smilies move, but how did you make that custom banner?  I'm very impressed.

:smile
Laurel

Hi Pons
Don't know if you're joking, but here goes:

Write what you want to say and highlight the writing

Click on the "glow" icon, which is the green "G" if you want glow and then highlight the words again and click on "marquee"  and you should find that the writing is both glowing and moving.

If you want larger text, you highlight and click on "font size", which is the A with arrows up or down. You can increase or decrease by changing the value (it comes up with 10p, but you can change it to e.g. 14p) and you can also change the colour of your words. You can try different things and preview until you're happy with the result before you post.

Hope this helps.  :smile

Lena
#2016 - September 18, 2008, 07:09 AM

Hi Lena,
Thanks for the welcome. Where are you in Australia? I lived in Melbourne and Brisbane before moving to the US. My parents and two of my sisters live in Brisbane. The kids and I just spent two months with them this summer (we try and go back every other year). I'm missing it already!
Take care,
Nandini

P.S. In case you think I'm a nomad, that's ALL the places I've lived; India, OZ and the US!
#2017 - September 18, 2008, 07:38 AM

Wow! Those are the two places I've wanted to visit: India and Australia!  These boards are cool!  Welcome, welcome!

Speaking of cool: that's great that your sister is a writer, too, Nandini.  I would love to see if I can get a copy of her book. It sounds up my alley.  One of my favorite writers in Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, even though I don't write in her lush style, I was thrilled when I was offered representation by the same agency that represents her.

You are completely right about the two Bollywood movies where I heard your name!  Haha!  Yes, I'm Puerto Rican, but most of my DVDs are Bollywood.  Let me correct that...they are Shahrukh Khan movies.  Actually, let me correct that again, they are
:love :love :love :love Shahrukh Khan :love :love :love :love movies.

Ahem.  In case you couldn't tell, he's my favorite actor.
And Pons, my favorite actess is Bridie Carter.  My sis and I got an international DVD player just to watch all the McLeod's Daughters episodes (when they weren't available in the US). 
Again, welcome!
#2018 - September 18, 2008, 10:18 AM

dzyre

:bangcomputer

Hello my name is Donna' I am very new the site.
I am trying to meet writers and learn more about the writers world if I may.
I've written two books ' which are self publish' which have not accomplish any royaities as of yet!
i am wondering now have I run into a scam' maybe everybody' anybody'l somebody can help me out.
#2019 - September 18, 2008, 01:58 PM

Emeraldgown,

:wow Yay, Bollywood! (breaks into bhangra dance, mystifying the cat) I had no idea Shah Rukh had fans out here (non-desi fans, that is). My sis knows him because she's the brains behind many of the most popular Pepsi TV commercials in India (he's their big celebrity endorsement). I've got to tell her that! Yes, definitely get the book. Chapter one has Shah Rukh disrobing for a Zing Cola commercial!

And I love Chitra Divakaruni's books as well. I think her Brotherhood of the Conch series is the only middle grade Indian inspired fantasy out there. I hope that isn't because there is no market for it (gulp!) My MG is not like THE CONCH BEARER, in that the main character is American (of Indian descent) so everything (voice, setting, the MC being a Red Sox fan) is more fusion. So, are you represented by Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency? That's awesome!
Thanks again for the welcome!
Nandini

#2020 - September 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:46 PM by nandini »

Mike Jung

Hi Donna, welcome from a fellow newbie.

m.
#2021 - September 18, 2008, 02:23 PM

Hi Nandini,

Since you can't get respond to personal messages as a newbie I will just keep talking to you this way...not to hijack this thread, but...your sister is sounding cooler and cooler.  Was he disrobing after getting ripped for Om Shanti Om??  :moose My, he did a good job on himself there...

Anyway, I was born and raised in Manhattan. In fact, my old neighborhood has a small Indian neighborhood near Murray Hill (and people call it Curry Hill sometimes, to be funny).  I get my Bollywood movies at a couple of stores there.  My mom and sis are now fans, too. In the beginning they were like, "Are any movies without this guy(Shah Rukh) in them?" and now when we watch one without him they are like, "It's not the same without Shah Rukh..." Heehee. I have won them over.

When you are ready to query, definitely tryquerying the Dijkstra agency or Full Circle Literary.  But there are many more that are interested in "multicultural."  My mc is a New Yorican like me.  So she's hardly right off the Island or anything. Even her mother has to be more like my generation, born here (in the US) and not in PR.  So I have some cultural touches.  She's Roman Catholic, has been drinking cafe con leche  since she was 5, eats Spanish food and her mom uses a few Spanish words now and then, but it's also, as you say "more fusion."   She's American with a dash of Adobo...  MMMmmm  Adobo.

See you around the blueboard threads...it's great having you here. And hello Donna and Sudo Nimm, too! :broccoli

#2022 - September 18, 2008, 02:49 PM

Hi Donna,

Hello from another newbie! Can you post a little more about your books and why you think you may have been scammed? I don't know much about self publishing myself, but it sounds like you could do with some advice from the experts here.

Take care!
Nandini
#2023 - September 18, 2008, 02:54 PM

Sudo Nimm

Welcome to my co-newbies, Nandini, Mike, and Donna.

EmeraldGown, thanks for the welcome.  Are we agency sisters at Dijkstra?  Very cool.  K.S. is a wonderful editorial agent.  I've been with her for almost one year now.

Happy writing, everybody!
#2024 - September 18, 2008, 05:49 PM

Imaginator

WARM WELCOME  to Mike and Donna too!

Donna, you should be able to get some advice from the experts on this board. I can only say that even if you self-publish (scam or not), the hardest part would be to market your books. Someone might be able to elaborate on the field of self-publishing, but you should do a search on this board first and see what you can find out. Maybe there're old threads about the subject.

Nandini, I live in Perth and since you have lived here, you know how far that is from the eastern side. It's nearly a different world. It seems like you've lived in many great countries. India sounds very interesting to me and I would love to visit there one day. I'm Swedish originally, but have lived in OZ more than half my life, so I feel almost like an Australian now.

EmeraldGown, I'm glad you enjoyed McLeod's Daughters. It's not only the US who can come up with great series, hey?  :smile 
And regarding Sharukh Khan, I bet he's the one I liked the best. One particular guy has been in every movie I've seen, but I didn't know or remember his name. I will check next time.

Lena

#2025 - September 18, 2008, 06:55 PM

Sudo Nimm

Hi Lena,

Perth is the hometown of one of my favorite author/illustrators, Shaun Tan.  I knew he was cool even before The Arrival.  I really love his picture books, especially The Red Tree.  I think he's even painted a mural in a local library there.
#2026 - September 18, 2008, 08:08 PM

Sorry I kept calling you by the wrong name, Imaginator!  Yes, my sis and I looooooooove McLeod's.  We have every season on DVD (although the first three are our faves, before Claire bites the dust....)  We've seen each episode of the first 3 seasons maybe 3-5 times by now (depending on the ep, we have definite faves).... yup...can quote them.  I can do a fairly decent Aussie accent now, too.  Heehee.

I need to get out more.  

But South Australia looks gorgeous on the show.  I hear it's unbearably hot but it looks as gold as a Van Gogh painting.  

And Sudo Nimm, yes! KS is my agent.  And I LOVE her editing, because it makes you think.  She doesn't do the work for you, she asks you questions: "Is this what (my mc) would say? What is (my mc) feeling here?  Expand a bit here."
I just sent back a revised ms 2 weeks ago.  I love how the changes (and about 25 extra pages) have helped my book.  I love my book more than ever now.  

Now I just need KS to find the right house for it. :broccoli

#2027 - September 18, 2008, 08:14 PM

Imaginator

Hi Lena,

Perth is the hometown of one of my favorite author/illustrators, Shaun Tan.  I knew he was cool even before The Arrival.  I really love his picture books, especially The Red Tree.  I think he's even painted a mural in a local library there.

I've seen his name, but I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read anything by him yet. I don't know why. Well, it looks like I've got to add them to my list now.  :smile

EmeraldGown, yes, the colours are really beautiful in South Australia, but it's very hot. I lived there for a few years. It's more or less the same in Western Australia. In the winter it's all green, but in the summer it's golden with temperatures often around 45 to 48 degrees Celsius around Perth. Even hotter up north where the colours are even more beautiful.

Hope your MS will be placed at the right house for you. So, interesting to hear how far you've got. I don't even have an agent yet. I want to finish my latest story before I try.

It seems like both of you have a great agent there.  :goodluck to you both.

Lena
#2028 - September 18, 2008, 10:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Lena, you absolutely must check out Shaun Tan. The Red Tree is a beautiful book, on so many levels. No matter how many times I read it, I still feel my heart lift when I turn that final page over. His latest, Tales from Outer Suburbia, is brilliant too. There's a lot more writing in this one - a few actual short stories mixed in with his trademark graphic novel style vignettes - and you can really see his quirky world-view coming through every line. He just has such an interesting mind and is a very good writer as well as an amazing illustrator. Western Australian children's writers often joke that we should try and time our publications so that they don't fall in the same year as Shaun's, just so we have at least some chance in the state literary awards.

The mural Sudo Nimm refers to is in Subiaco library, where I spend quite a bit of time writing. You can see a photo of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seehere/183079259/
Fremantle Children's Literature Centre - http://www.fclc.com.au/index.html - also have displays of Shaun's art and workshops on his books from time to time. It's well worth a visit on one of their open days if you haven't been down there before.
#2029 - September 19, 2008, 02:08 AM

Lena, Yes, you're waaay out west in Perth. I've never made it past Adelaide, but I'll get there one day!

MegM, Wow! Imagine being able to write while surrounded by Shaun Tan's art!! Shaun Tan is awesome. I've only read THE LOST THING, and THE RABBITS (which he illustrated) but I loved them both. I've been meaning to get THE ARRIVAL (which looks wonderful) but haven't got around to it yet. Doesn't he live in Melbourne now?

Funny, I never got into Mcleod's Daughters (my Mum is addicted to it) because MY daughter (she's nearly 9) was always watching H20 Just add water while we were out there (It's shot on the Gold Coast, just outside Brisbane.) Or my son was trying to catch the three lousy MLB games they got per week ("Maaai-jor Laaai-gue Baaai-seball - Who do you barrack for!!!")

Emeraldgown your character sounds really cool! I'm trying to research agents and polish my synopsis right now (is it just me or is it hard to do for everyone?), but I will query Dijkstra.

Sudo Nimm, Thanks for the welcome!

Looking forward to hanging out on the BlueBoards!
#2030 - September 19, 2008, 07:28 AM

Sudo Nimm

Hi, MegM and nandini.  It's great to see fellow Tan Fans on the boards!

EmeraldGown, Godspeed to you and KS in finding a home for your manuscript.  KS is about ready to send another one of my babies out into the world, as well.  Here's to hoping we'll both be celebrating soon...
#2031 - September 19, 2008, 09:35 AM

Imaginator

Meg, thanks for the links. How many books has Shaun Tan written and illustrated? By the looks of all the titles on this thread, it seems like a lot, but there're probable more. I looked at the link for the mural and I want to see it in real life. It looks absolutely fantastic! From memory I think that The Arrival won a prize. Hope I'm right. He must have won heaps of prizes in fact. Well, I think I've got to go to Subiaco and down to Fremantle soon. Now I'm going to look at his website.   
#2032 - September 19, 2008, 07:24 PM

Nandini--most of us hate writing our own queries and synopses.  Writing books is so much easier.  Happily, we often enjoy critiquing and tweaking one another's synopses and queries here. If you feel the need you can ask people here to help.  I helped Froggy with a synopsis and Torty with editing etc., if you want another pair of eyes to look at it, I can give it a go, or you can post on the board (try the writing section).

And Sudo, as to a quick sale--  I'll drink to that!  :drinking Or rather, I'll have chocolate to that! Mmmm my lovely, lovely, sweet creamy, yummy friend.... :chocolate  I'll use any excuse to have chocolate, but seriously, what kind of a great excuse would selling a book be?  Only the very best!!!!!   :broccoli

#2033 - September 19, 2008, 09:42 PM

EmeraldGown,

THANK YOU for offering to look at the synopsis! It's the hardest thing I've had to do. I mean, HOW, do you condense a 50K+ words novel into 2 lousy pages ? I'm going nuts trying to do it/ re-do it/ and re-re-do it. :bwa

I'm going to take what I have to my SCBWI critique meeting on Wednesday, and see what they say. They've all read part or all of my ms so they'll be able to tell if it's true to the thing. But I definitely need fresh eyes to have a look as well. So, can I have you look at it too, since you were cool enough to offer? I'm not sure I want to post the full synopsis (as opposed to the blurby one) on the boards. It makes me feel exposed just to WRITE all the plot turns without the good stuff leading up to them.
And I must be totally thick, but I can't figure out how to do this personal mail thing. I've no idea how to e-mail you off the board! Someone out there -  :bighelp  How do you contact someone without posting off-topic on a board? Am I too new to do it? Maybe I should stop being neurotic and just post it!

:thankyou
Nandini

#2034 - September 23, 2008, 06:42 AM

Hi Nandini,

I think I can PM you but you can't PM me, since you are a newbie.  I will PM you and give you my e-mail.
#2035 - September 23, 2008, 07:59 AM

EmeraldGown,

:yourock Thank you!

Nandini
#2036 - September 23, 2008, 01:07 PM

Captain Ink

Good Morning!

:wow That's an impressive amount of smilies to choose from...  :lol

OK, so late-30s Brit male here, now living in WI USA. Being a step-Dad for the past 3yrs to a now-7yr old has renewed my desire to set pen to paper. I'm faithfully getting up an hour earlier than usual to write the first draft of my pirate book, and I thought that a forum such as this could help with my motivation (and not add to my already full list of distractions).

:duel That's me on the left. Cap'n Procrastination is on the right.

Anyway, hope to find support, tips & advice here.

:yo ho ho, etc... ;)

Cap'n Ink
#2037 - September 29, 2008, 08:45 AM

Mike Jung

Ahoy, Cap'n, welcome to the blue boards. This place is a wealth of information, advice and support, you won't be disappointed.
#2038 - September 29, 2008, 10:28 AM

Captain Ink

Cheers!

Is there a thread anywhere here recommending books on writing? I have several already but I'm always on the look-out for more.
#2039 - September 29, 2008, 10:49 AM

SproutQ

Captain Ink, I love your user name.

Try here (http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=16508.0) for books on writing.

Welcome,

Jacqui
#2040 - September 29, 2008, 11:23 AM

Members: