SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Marina!

Welcome to the blueboards, but be careful! This place can become addictive.  :love
#2101 - November 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

marina

Hi Helene!

Thanks for sending me this way!  I can see what you mean by addictive!  I'd planned on writing a paragraph or two before I went to work this morning, but that went out the window pretty quickly after I starting reading through some threads here!  I'm glad I have a new way to procrastinate!!!

marina
#2102 - November 25, 2008, 05:47 PM

merewald

Welcome to the Blueboards dylan and marina!  :thewave

I can see what you mean by addictive!  I'd planned on writing a paragraph or two before I went to work this morning, but that went out the window pretty quickly after I starting reading through some threads here!  I'm glad I have a new way to procrastinate!!!

A writer after my own heart. I'm supposed to be writing right now, and here I am procrastinating again. :)
#2103 - November 25, 2008, 05:49 PM

Sudo Nimm

Welcome, jaws, Fulano, ccw, Dylan, and Marina!!!!

:bananadance :broccoli :bananadance :broccoli :bananadance :broccoli :bananadance :broccoli
#2104 - November 29, 2008, 07:15 PM

ritajr

Hi!
I'm Rita from New Jersey. I'm not new, but haven't posted for a very long time so I'm back to newbie status. Oh well. My work has been published in magazines but no books, yet.
I'm getting back into the swing of writing, reading, and researching.  :writing3
Looking forward to reading and posting on the site again.  :yup

#2105 - December 01, 2008, 03:05 PM

Welcome back, Rita. Congrats on the publishing credits! :)

#2106 - December 01, 2008, 05:27 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Greetings--

I'm a clinical psychologist and writer, newly joined.

I had published books for psychotherapists & then started writing fiction when I was taking care of my son as an at-home dad.

I wrote a comic mystery which never quite made it into print. Then, inspired by my son, I began writing for children. My first picture book--Otto Grows Down--will be released by Sterling in February, with illustrations by Scott Magoon. It's the story of a boy who becomes trapped in backwards time when he makes a birthday wish that his baby sister was never born!

You can read about it here:   http://www.OttoGrowsDown.com

Michael
#2107 - December 04, 2008, 09:32 PM
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:16 AM by Snoofle »
DUCKWORTH, THE DIFFICULT CHILD (Atheneum, 2019)
INCOGNOLIO (Janx Press, 2017)
CRASHING EDEN  (Solstice, 2012)
OTTO GROWS DOWN (Sterling, 2009)

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Michael!
#2108 - December 05, 2008, 05:38 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

This is a great board. welcome Cindy, Dylan, Marina, Snoofle, Jaws. Welcome back Ritajr!
if you're feeling like this  :woo :cheerleader :woo :cheerleader come here and share the good news!
if you're feeling like this :faint :cry2 :faint :cry2 come share, we'll understand.
if you're feelling like this :bricks :boxing :grrr :bangcomputer we share your frustration.
happy writing. :typing
#2109 - December 05, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hold hands and stick together

kadje70

Confess, Snoofle! You are only here as part of some clinical research into the crazy minds of writers! Just know we are perfectly normal people...perfectly...normal. Got it?  :tease

There - it's safe now, everyone. I think I've got him fooled. :ha

Welcome to the Blueboards, Snoofle!!! :love
#2110 - December 05, 2008, 09:07 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I confess, Julia---I've already noted strong paranoid tendencies in your file...   :contract3

Actually, you've touched upon a real problem for psychologists outside the office. When socializing, many people assume we are silently diagnosing them or are able to read their minds. This suspiciousness can make small talk rather awkward.

Michael
#2111 - December 06, 2008, 09:59 AM
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:18 AM by Snoofle »

kadje70

Paranoid? Who told you that?! I bet it was my mother-in-law...

Actually, I think we could use someone like you around here... :yup
#2112 - December 06, 2008, 12:06 PM

Welcome dylan, marina, ritajr, snoofle and all new members!
:confetti :welcome :confetti
I haven't been around here long myself, but am loving it.
#2113 - December 07, 2008, 11:33 AM
Red Turban White Horse (Scholastic India)
Starcursed (Red Turtle/Rupa India)

http://www.nandinibajpai.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, Nandini.

Yes, Julia, no wonder.
If writng--and the writing business--aren't driving you nuts, your must be really crazy!

Michael
#2114 - December 07, 2008, 12:33 PM

Sudo Nimm

Welcome back, Rita!

Welcome, Michael!

:yippee :bananadance :cheerleader :broccoli :yippee
#2115 - December 10, 2008, 02:13 PM

Actually, you've touched upon a real problem for psychologists outside the office. When socializing, many people assume we are silently diagnosing them or are able to read their minds. This suspiciousness can make small talk rather awkward.

Michael

Don't tell 'em you're a shrink...tell 'em you're a writer, and watch how quickly they clump to the other side of the room!

So am I nuts because I'm a writer or am I a writer because I'm nuts?
#2116 - December 10, 2008, 10:37 PM
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Hey Snoofle, I just visited your website.  Nice to see another music degree on the boards. 
I'm a jazz musician, and I personally believe that creative music and creative writing come from the same parts of the brain, though I don't have any of the background to verify such a statement.  I just get the same buzz whether I'm playing a jazz solo or writing a new story--the groove feels the same.
#2117 - December 10, 2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Bryan,

I totally agree. I no longer write music, but the joy and excitement I get from writing fiction are exactly what I used to feel when composing a new tune. I do occasionally still perform on piano, and that's also a blast. Plus, my son plays fiddle, and there's nothing more exciting than playing Irish fiddle tunes out in the street with him (I accompany him on Irish Bouzouki.)

I really like your website, especially your Author page. And it looks like you've received some excellent reviews on your books!

Michael

#2118 - December 11, 2008, 09:29 AM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Hi. I've been a "voyeur" member of the boards for a couple of years, researching agent and publishing info, sometimes reading threads on the writing biz, but NEVER brave enough to post something. Silly, I know! I realized recently that I've got to get over my online-presence shyness and this is the perfect place to do it. Now I'm finding the more I get into the boards, the more addicting it is. Information AND community. What a fantastic combination.  :hug

I've written four middle-grade novels, none yet published. No queries out at the moment, but that will change shortly. My stories have appeared in Skipping Stones magazine and Characters magazine.

Looking forward to participating!  :love  (Love the smilies.)

Melissa
#2119 - December 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Melissa! :)
#2120 - December 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Nance

Hi everyone! I have been a blueborder for about a month now and thougth I should formally introduce myself! My name is Nancy Norton and I write picture books in rhyme. I have yet to be published but I love what I write and have a few manuscripts no doubt burried in multiple slush piles. I do not have an agent yet I am looking for one. I know you will all understand when I say that this is the place where I feel I am understood and take comfort in reading all your posts. This has always been my deepest passion. I have a 7 year old son with aspergers whom I have been reading to since birth. He is my inspiration. I hope through my writing to help others to understand and appreciate the gifts that these children bring to us. I am attending my first confernece in NY this January and hope to meet so many of you! I am here to lend support and to learn....and to hopefully post some good news! I just want to thank all of you for being here for all of us. :yup
#2121 - December 11, 2008, 05:13 PM

Welcome aboard, Nance! :)

#2122 - December 11, 2008, 07:37 PM

Sudo Nimm

Welcome, Melissa and Nancy!

:yippee :bananadance :broccoli :bananadance :yippee
#2123 - December 13, 2008, 11:15 PM

scubacor

Hi,

I'm Corey Schwartz.  I live in Central Jersey, but still consider myself a "New Yorker" (and probably always will)

I have a four year old daughter and a three year old son.  I've got one picture book out:  Hop! Plop!  (Walker, 2006)   My daughter is not crazy about it because....to quote her, "it does not have enough characters"  :)    Just a mouse and an elephant on a playground together.

I started a blog about picture books in November and would love to have visitors.   It's called Thing 1 a Thing 2 (as a tribute to Seuss)

coreyschwartz.blogspot.com

Thanks,
C
#2124 - December 15, 2008, 03:06 PM

Nice to have you aboard, Corey. Welcome! ;D

#2125 - December 15, 2008, 07:41 PM

Shadowswings

Hello, I am new to this board but not to writing, writing is part of me and we cant seperate anymore. I hope to learn from all who want to share their wisdom with me. I have more than a hundred WIP and so many changes here and there and this keeps me from sending off to editors. The things I have sent off seem to find the publishers where I pay them. They are accepted of course by all.  I want a real publisher to accept my work. That is why I am here to polish my work and make it shine for the traditional publishers.  Would so love any assistance in this quest that you wish to impart.

I am a mother and wife. I am disabled and have all the time anyone needs to write. Now to do it right. I love to se the preverbial light come on in children when they really get it. These are things I adore and would not be whole without them.

Sincerely,

Shadowswings
#2126 - December 16, 2008, 12:52 AM

Welcome aboard, Shadowswings. :) You've come to a really good place for advice and support.

#2127 - December 16, 2008, 06:57 PM

Malinda

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the blue boards although I can already tell that it is a totally addictive and distracting place to hang out! I'm also somewhat new to the world of children's/YA publishing, which is why I am so thrilled to discover all the resources on these boards.

My first YA novel, ASH, a retelling of "Cinderella" with a lesbian twist, will be published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers in September 2009. I am now writing fiction full-time, but before I started that (just this fall), I was an entertainment reporter/editor. Most recently I was managing editor at AfterEllen.com, which is the largest entertainment news site for lesbians online (it's like an Entertainment Weekly for queer women). I've written widely on LGBT issues in the media and still write a monthly column for AfterEllen.com called Notes & Queeries.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and hear about your experiences in writing and publishing. (And maybe someday I will have the nerve to use some of that massive amount of smiley faces!)

Malinda
#2128 - December 18, 2008, 10:49 PM

Sudo Nimm

:welcome :welcome :welcome
Corey, Shadowswings, and Malinda!

Malinda, check out www.leewind.org, if you haven't already, for excellent coverage of LGBTQ issues in kidlit.
#2129 - December 19, 2008, 12:04 AM

sary

Hello!  I'm Sary. I'm newish here, which is to say it took me about a month to stumble across this thread. So far my eyes have mostly been glued to the "Agent Response Times" section.  :reading2

I'm a long-time writer and extraordinarily infrequent editor who is trying to learn to do better. In daylight, I also teach special education. I've sold one short story to New Moon Magazine. Two and a half years ago. And then started teaching. :hamster

After taking a two-year break from revising and submitting my writing, I've finally accepted that it's OKAY that I will never see the surface of the desk in my classroom and that if I keep going in to school seven days a week, I will look like this  :old by my fifth year of teaching.  So I've finally started sending out some stories again. And, you know, occasionally eating and sleeping, too.  :chocolate

I can tell I'm going to like this board.  Even if I didn't write, I would join for the extensive smiley collection.  :pp
#2130 - December 20, 2008, 05:10 AM

Members: