#2131 - December 20, 2008, 06:40 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Matt

Matt here. Recently found myself in a foreign world which is kids literature and requiring guidance.

Born and bred in Tasmania up until a move to Melbourne for postgraduate studies. Now working as a Graphic Artist in various industries....everything from stunt illustrator for artistically challenged fashion designers and architectural visualizations for monstrosity apartment blocks.

Best to you.
Matt
#2132 - December 20, 2008, 08:45 AM

Welcome aboard, Matt and Sary! ;D

#2133 - December 20, 2008, 04:31 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Hi Matt. Good to have another Australian on board. There are a few of us here now, I think. I grew up in central Victoria, but now live in WA. Are you writing as well as illustrating? (I love 'stunt illustrator' as a moniker, by the way). If you're looking for guidance, this is a good place to find it.
#2134 - December 21, 2008, 04:18 AM

Sudo Nimm

:welcome :welcome
Sary and Matt!
#2135 - December 21, 2008, 01:18 PM

Matt

MegM
Hi Matt. Good to have another Australian on board. There are a few of us here now, I think. I grew up in central Victoria, but now live in WA. Are you writing as well as illustrating? (I love 'stunt illustrator' as a moniker, by the way). If you're looking for guidance, this is a good place to find it.

Thanks Meg. I am mostly just illustrating but have also been playing around with my own writing...definitely not up to par with my illustration but I'm trying. Hope to see you around.

Matt
#2136 - December 22, 2008, 12:05 AM

Baby Steps

Hello, Blueboarders!  I'm a self-proclaimed Blueboard lurker (of a year or so).  Here's to my first, official post!  :drinking
#2137 - December 28, 2008, 07:54 PM

Sudo Nimm

:welcome

Baby Steps!
#2138 - December 28, 2008, 10:15 PM

StacieVE

I am Stacie.  I am new here.  I have been away from writing for a while, but have returned with gusto.  I am at a point in my life that I have been drawn back to the writing life.  I hope to learn a lot here and share as well.  I look forward to visiting often.
  :hug
#2139 - December 29, 2008, 11:27 AM

Welcome aboard, LadyFyre and Baby Steps. :)

#2140 - December 29, 2008, 07:27 PM

Imaginator

Welcome to all you new people!

I haven't been around the board for a few months and was I surprised when I dropped back in. So many new faces and voices - even an Australian. I think that you've already found out how great this place is for information and advice. Everybody seems to be so incredibly helpful too. Hope you're all going to do fantastic in your writing careers. 

Lena
#2141 - January 04, 2009, 03:57 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
So many new faces and voices - even an Australian.

Well hang on to your socks, because here's another one! :moose

I'm Sarah, an Aussie mum of two boys under four, living in Melbourne. I have decided 2009 is the year for me to get my first book written - a YA novel that has been in the works (ie: rattling around in my head) since my first son was born in 2005. I have done some overall planning of the story but only recently got down to the nitty gritty of writing...and I LOVE it! I really wish I had started a couple of years ago, but another baby came along and yadda, yadda, yadda.

I also have some picture book ideas, although I am just going to concentrate on one project at a time. I am the kind of person who had a tendency to jump from one thing to another (I like to try different things on to see how they fit), so I am going to stick with my YA novel until it's finished, and then write another one!

I am a graphic designer by trade and also have a small art business in which I create handpainted artworks for children. But interestingly, I have no desire to illustrate any picture books I may write. People have often said to me over the years "You should illustrate children's picture books." But I actually want to write them only and leave the illustrations to the professionals. I want to give my books the best possible chance of succeeding and I don't think illustrating them myself does that. Maybe one day I'll have the confidence, but right now I'll just concentrate on the writing.

Thanks for listening! I look forward to chatting more with you all.

Sarah E
#2142 - January 06, 2009, 02:08 PM
http://sarahepsteinbooks.com/
https://twitter.com/SarahLEpstein

"Act as if it were impossible to fail." - Ashanti Proverb

Welcome, Sarah!  :love
#2143 - January 06, 2009, 02:10 PM
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

ritajr

Hi, New People! It's nice to "meet" you.

#2144 - January 06, 2009, 04:03 PM

StacyLynn

Hi. I'm Stacy from Chicago, IL. (Our fine state has been in the news quite a bit lately if you haven't noticed.

I just discovered this wonderful message board a week or so ago, and now I am hooked.....Oh no, another reason to procrastinate! :faint

I write children's poetry, and have finished a first-draft of a chapter book 4 times... so technically I guess I've done 4 drafts... I keep putting away in a "drawer" and every year or so I take it back out and work on it again.  I started writing it when my younger son was 7, about 5 years ago....my hope is to actually be happy enough with it one day and send it off to publishingland.  Pub-lish-in-gland  :yippee. (These little jumping smiley faces make me laugh.) I have also written two pb's that are in similar states of avoidance at the moment.  Hmmm.... sounds like I have a theme going here.

I teach preschool which keeps me on my toes and keeps my head and heart full of ideas for more stories. I have two boys and two cats, and puddles of melting snow on my kitchen floor at this very moment, were one cat is watching one son make one grilled cheese sandwich.   

By this Monday Jan. 12th, I agreed to send out some of my poems to Babybug Magazine or else my critique partner will kick my butt.  This will be the first thing I've sent out since my college days... which was eons ago, or yesterday depending on the moment.  And now that I've told all of you I guess I'm really gonna do it.

Well I've taken up enough space on this board.  Thanks for the wonderful sense of community.  The great advise, and inspiration and willingness to answer questions and share information.  May you all have a wonderful new year! And if you live in a cold and snowy place like me, may your sidewalks be clear and your cars not plowed in....:snowplow

Warmly,

Stacy
#2145 - January 09, 2009, 03:18 PM

Welcome aboard, Stacy. Have fun posting here, and good luck with getting your work published! :)

#2146 - January 09, 2009, 05:14 PM

Welcome all!!!!
glad you are here!!!
#2147 - January 10, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hold hands and stick together

AmyDawn

Thank you for all for welcoming me.  :D    :grouphug2
#2148 - January 11, 2009, 09:39 PM

Sudo Nimm

:welcome :welcome :welcome
Stacie, Sarah, and Stacy!
#2149 - January 13, 2009, 09:05 PM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Welcome to all of you!  This community is definitely the place to be!   :smile
#2150 - January 14, 2009, 09:29 AM
PB CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
PB LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
YA SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more
@ipapaverison

Kappa

Hello, my name is Terrie. I'm brand spanking new and very excited to be here. Let's see, I have a collection of short stories coming out this May (Counterpoint Press), but I'm working now on a mid grade fantasy book set in Japan...oh yes, I'm from the States but have been living in Japan the last 18-years. This looks like a wonderful place to be. I know a few people who have recommended it. I hope to learn as well as share. Can't wait to dig in!

Terrie

PS All those smileys up there are like candy to me. Which one to pick...??? :redbaron

(went with my literary hero, Snoopy)
#2151 - January 16, 2009, 03:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, Terrie, and congratulations on your collection! May I ask where in Japan you live? There are a couple of us here who have lived in Japan at various points (me - Gifu, Kobe, Kyoto). Is your mg about kappa? I remember being very confused when a Japanese schoolfriend asked me if we had kappa in Australia. I thought she meant 'raincoat', replied 'well, what do you think?' and much unintentional hilarity ensued.
#2152 - January 16, 2009, 04:25 AM

Kappa

Meg, hello! I live in Yaizu a small town in Shizuoka Prefecture. It's a nice place to live (despite the complete absence of things like taco shells, pita bread, real cheese, English language books in the book stores....), but I must say I adore Kyoto and have heard many good things about Kobe and Gifu. Where did you live? And for how long? Was it recently?

That is adorable about the double kappa meaning. My MG is indeed about a kappa...the beastie kind. Although wouldn't it be a funny inside joke to add a one-liner about an overcoat? Unfortunately, my agent told me I needed to cut many thousands of words. Owch.

T
#2153 - January 16, 2009, 01:40 PM

Chris_YAandFilm

I'm Chris, and I love YA. And MG and picture books.

Although my MFA thesis was a screenplay, I've decided to return to my first love - the YA novel. In fact, my book shelves hold over 15 feet of YA, plus another two feet that belong to my local libraries. (I love living near two library systems.)

My favorite moments in my YA writing career include David Levithan friending me on MySpace (someday I hope David will be my boss or editor or both, although I don't think I qualify for being a PUSH author) and John Green liking my "Holden Caulfield Lives" T-shirt at his Paper Towns signing. Another big moment was attending the national SCBWI conference in LA in 2002 where I met several authors from the Yahoo CW list, including Verla Kay.

My current WIP in a YA novel with a strong supernatural element. I hope to have a strong draft by the end of 2009.

I'd love to work as an editor, and plan to attend one of the Publishing Institutes in 2010. (I was hoping to attend this year, but am still looking for full time work to cover living expenses and the PI tuition.)

I love the BlueBoards. I also love Snoopy.
 :snoopy

And almost, just almost miss Minnesota winters. Snow days rock. (I'm a native Californian, but attended grad school in MN.)
 :snow

2009 is my year!  :bangbreak

#2154 - January 16, 2009, 04:06 PM

Welcome, Chris! Nice to have you aboard. :)

#2155 - January 16, 2009, 04:25 PM

Kappa

Hello Chris, I'm new, too. And I must say, your profile picture is inspired. I love it.
#2156 - January 16, 2009, 05:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Welcome to the Blueboards Chris and Kappa!  It's filled with friendly people with lots of info!  :yup
#2157 - January 16, 2009, 05:31 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Chris_YAandFilm

And I must say, your profile picture is inspired. I love it.

Thanks. All credit goes to my six-year-old nephew. I've learned to hide my camera from him.
#2158 - January 16, 2009, 06:04 PM

Kappa

I've learned to hide my camera from him.

...and hide from the camera itself...it seems... ha ha ha :dr
#2159 - January 17, 2009, 02:35 PM

Kappa,

I spent two years in Japan as a missionary, working mostly in Okayama, Hiroshima, and Ehime prefectures.  I've been home thirty years now, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it and how great it was.  Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.  Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!
#2160 - January 18, 2009, 10:47 PM
http://www.bryanwfields.com
LUNCHBOX AND THE ALIENS, 2006 Holt; 2009 Square Fish
FROONGA PLANET, 2008 Holt
http://froongafiles.blogspot.com

Members: