SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Shiny_Penguin

I have been looking around here most of the night and decided to post.  I have just gotten back to writing after many years off (kind of went on hold when I had kids) and I'm trying to find my niche.  I used to write horror, but I just don't find it in me anymore (maybe 2 sons is enough horror for anyone!)  I think I have about 4 ideas in differing levels of completion, not all kids stories.  I'm in PA and I noticed from some other posts that some of you are near me (I saw mention of Street Road!)  I'm a SHAM to an almost 5 yr old and almost 7 yr old (plus 3 dogs, 3 cats, a caterpillar--actually a chrysalis now, and what ever other bugs the kids manage to get in the house.)

Laura
#241 - July 20, 2004, 07:10 PM

Laura,

Welcome.  Now, I'm sure you're not a SHAM to those children. Don't be so hard on yourself!  (I hope you meant SAHM, otherwise I don't know what that stands for.  Or perhaps you really do feel like a big fake.)   :moose

#242 - July 20, 2004, 07:29 PM

Shiny_Penguin

Oh My!  :faint:  Must've been past my bedtime when I posted that!
#243 - July 21, 2004, 06:07 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Welcome, Laura!  Congratulations on finding your way back to writing...I know it's easy to lose sight of yourself for a while when you have young kiddos.  You've found a great site...full of information & inspiration!
 :)
#244 - July 21, 2004, 07:21 AM

poetnright

Hello
        I hope that all is well with everyone. Living in the city that does not sleep tends to keep me awake. I would love to hear from you. I'm a  poet my work is featured on Poetry.com. Aspiring to be a playwright, writer for children. Writing tends to help me relax and I tend to get caught up in the world of  :writing: If anyone is interested in viewing my poetry please contact me at poetnwrite@yahoo.com. Looking forward to making more connections online.

:hug1: To all
                  Nicole
#245 - July 28, 2004, 03:10 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Welcome, Nicole.  Glad to have you "aboard!"
#246 - July 28, 2004, 04:10 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Awinn

I guess I never did introduce myself here.

Im Amber, 20 yrs old. College student in Southern CA.
I wrote alot when I was younger and stopped for 10 years. I focused on my art more than anything and recently started writing again when I was forced for a class. After several short mandatory class stories, my teacher begged me to enter them in certain competitions. I didnt.
I got super inspired for no reason and am writing again.

Otherwise I am an art student. I am vegetarian, love animals, rock climbing, hiking, camping and travel.

Umm. size 8 1/2 shoe.   :moose
#247 - August 04, 2004, 02:48 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Welcome, Awinn. I'm glad you're here.

Cassandra, size 7 1/2 shoe

#248 - August 08, 2004, 01:38 PM

MamaG

I don't mean to be competitive but only a 7 1/2 Cassandra?

MamaG (size 11 shoe)
#249 - August 12, 2004, 03:10 PM

MsCB

Hello all,

My name is CB. I have been writing for 20 years, but new to children's literature.  I have several things wrong with me 1) I write too much info  2) I am too technical when attempting to write for children 3) I love to make animals talk, which I hear is taboo. 4) I am taking a class to learn how to write for children so they will understand me.

I hope to get to know as many of you as I can. The boards are very informative. Everyone has been more than kind that is not something you find many places on line anymore. 

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this group.

Hugs,
CB
#250 - August 20, 2004, 12:12 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
You're very welcome to our home away from home. Or home within our home. Or something like that.

Glad you're here, CB!

-Cassandra
#251 - August 20, 2004, 12:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region louisianamississippi
Glad to meet you, Ms. CB!  I've learned a lot from these ladies! (And the occasional man, too!)
 :writing3:

Not that men don't have a lot of important things to share about children's writing- there just aren't a lot of men around on this board!
 :tongue:

Actually, I just hang around because I like to play with emoticons.
 :jump

Robin  :typing:
#252 - August 20, 2004, 01:09 PM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 02:46 PM by Robin »
THE KATERINA TRILOGY (Delacorte)
The Gathering Storm
The Unfailing Light
The Morning Star

childatheart

Hi everybody,
I'm Radhika Meganathan, budding children's writer from India. I'm published as a nonfiction author and freelance editor, but I'm yet to sell a children's story in the US (though I have 3 manuscripts accepted by a local children's publisher :)

My latest hurrah is winning this year's Highlights Fellowship. Sponsored by Highlights for Children magazine (PA), I was honored to visit the United States this year. In July 2004, I was the only writer chosen from India to attend the 20th Annual Children's Writers Conference (held at Chautauqua, upstate New York).  For more details, click -

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/07/10/stories/2004071000450300.htm

I had a great time at Chautauqua. I met many writers in the workshop... I enjoyed knowing Linda Sue Park (what an amazing woman!), The Spinellis (such a warm, gentle pair), Ron Jobe (the most enthusiastic person I've ever known), Juanita Havill (she's really a child at hear!) and Carolyn Yoder (such energy...) among others.

Of course, the Highlights staff were great too. It was wonderful interacting with Marileta, Kim and Chris... not to mention taking a tour of the Highlights Editorial office at Honesdale. It was a magical week to be sure!

After the conference I went on to tour Boston, NYC, NJ and Rhode Island. I spent an excellent weekend road trip with my friends and I loved Boston. I was in the US till August 9 and then it was time to leave and they took me screaming and screeching to the airport... you don't wanna hear about... ssniff.. sniff...

Still, I have memories :). Chautauqua was the most wonderful experience in my life and it has totally changed me. More than industry contacts, more than writing lessons, I met different people and developed great friendships, which is something extremely precious for me. It has given me great insights about my life and career path. I highly recommend participating in a writers' con as soon as possible :)

I just came back to India and am regrouping my priorities, and I decided to concentrate more on writing children's fiction. I have enjoyed verla's interviews in ICL and I'm happy to look foward to meaningful discussions in this board.

Warmly,
Radhika Meganathan
#253 - September 05, 2004, 01:31 AM

laura l

Hi there,

I'm a SAHM homeschooling my 2 sons in Southern Ontario. I am up to 5 form rejection letters now, and I've been writing seriously for just over a year. I have been working on short stories, pbs, poetry, all for kids 5-10 years, and one YA novel which is going incredibly slowly (bogged down in research at the moment).
Some of the names here are familiar to me from the YellowBoard. <Insert waving icon here>

Laura L.
#254 - September 06, 2004, 06:37 AM

jcb

Hi, I'm Janet and new to the board.  I write mainly picture book manuscripts and poetry.  I've been writing for children for well over 10 years and finally got my first taste of success with this year's Highlights Fiction Contest.  I've learned that patience is a virtue.  And since I'm a procrastinator, it's an important virtue for me to have.

I'm married with two sons and I work at a university.  My sons love playing sports so my spare time is usually spent on a bleacher.  Now if I can just figure out the difference between a touchdown and a home run!    :)

I look forward to checking in on the board.
#255 - September 15, 2004, 07:01 PM

Ya, Janet! It's so good to have you on the board. We are a crazy, motley amazing crew of writers. Everyone here is so generous and it is a privilege to share in each others successes and commiserate over rejections. Congrats on the Highlights contest. and we hope you are here to stay! :hug1: :yay :yup
Kristy
#256 - September 15, 2004, 07:11 PM
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
ME WITH YOU -- (Philomel)
MINI-RACER -- (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK -- (Abrams)
http://kristydempsey.livejournal.com

HI to all the newbies sending you a great big  :hug1: and hope you feel right at home!
#257 - September 15, 2004, 07:58 PM

artmonkeyd

Hello everyone! I'm new to the pack and all. I'm anxious to get to know as many of you as I can.
my work- critiques are welcomed- www.7artmonkeys.com
#258 - September 20, 2004, 07:50 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Welcome, Artmonkeyd!  What a neat website.  NICE art from what I could see of it.  Very impressive. 

Just so you know, I removed your first message from the writing board, as it was exactly the same message as this one, and this is the right place to introduce yourself.  :-) 

Feel free to pop over to the Illustrator's section and introduce yourself there again, and talk about illustrating.  You might want to tell us a little more about you.  We love getting to know new people. 

You might also want to post your URL on the URL page.  (Also be sure to pop over to the yellowpalooza site and register there.  Did I spell that right?  It's on the URL page, and on the illustrator section of the board.)

Do be sure to post something different in each place on this board, though, as some of the moderators of this board get a little "testy" if the exact same message is posted more than once on here.  They get so few chances to remove messages, they kind of go bonkers when they see the same message on here more than once. :dr

Welcome!
#259 - September 20, 2004, 08:06 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Welcome to all of you ...  I joined a few months ago and find this to be a very supportive and informative place to hang out.
Radhika -- I read your blurb on the Hindu -- and must say that you're in good company.  If I recall correctly, Arundhati Roy is also an architect turned writer ...  and what a fabulous writer she is.  My next statement is biased but I do believe they breed good writers in India.
Vijaya
#260 - September 20, 2004, 10:11 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

mclicious
Poster Plus
Welcome, new members!  I'm Hannah.
#261 - September 21, 2004, 04:16 PM

Deb

Hello everyone!

About time I introduced myself as I have been lurking about here for a couple of weeks now. I am a professional storyteller and writer who also has the great pleasure of facilitating a teen book club for the library I work part time at. Nothing published yet but so far have seven submissions out there and hope to increase that number to eight at the end of week.(another short story)  (all short stories and poems for the children magazine market) Next week I hope to finish tweaking _Memory Garden_ ( a picture book) so that I can send it out to my crit group. And waiting patiently in the wings are two novels (a mg fantasy that I wrote the first draft to ages ago and a ya horror that was inspired by a very scary dream I had...can you say maniac ghost of a neat freak housekeeper?) I have been working at this since 1996 and am ever and always hopeful. :typing:

That is probably more than enough from me, about me! Thank you Verla and all the Moderators for keeping this board up and running!!    !!<just leeeooove using those things <g>

Deb    !             !
#262 - September 21, 2004, 04:35 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Deb,

Here is your official welcome to the board party. :cake:

Enjoy!!
Cassandra
#263 - September 23, 2004, 02:10 PM

Kelmar

Well Hello everyone,

My name is Kelli, from the great state of Kansas!  I just recently discovered this site and I LOVE IT! I've gotten great stuff just lurking here so a big thanks!  I look forward to getting to know you all, and I LOVE to read the good news, so keep that stuff coming (so inspiring!)

Cu all 'round  :momkid:

Kelli
#264 - September 25, 2004, 05:55 PM

LMW

:yay

I have been popping in and out of this site for some time but have finally plucked up the courage to join in.
My name is Lynn and I am from Australia. I live in a very small outback town so any communication I can get with other writers (Or would-be writers like myself) is much appreciated.
I have recently had an article accepted for publication in a Queensland journal so I am very excited about that, but so far I am still unpublished in the picture book area. I still keep subbing and   :writing3: and I feel very positive that it WILL happen one day! :phat
Thanks for letting me join in,
Lynn
#265 - September 29, 2004, 06:08 PM

Jaina

Welcome, Lynn!  You'll find a few other Australians here, too.  And a bunch of Canadians, a bunch of Americans, at least one person from Scotland . . . and a couple we're not exactly sure what to make of--might be aliens.
#266 - September 29, 2004, 06:53 PM

carimel

Lynn,

Welcome to our group!  We are so happy that you decided to join us and we are here to help one another in  any way we can.  I have learned so much from joining this group and you will be getting alot of support from us!  Feel free to post anything you want and we will be happy to read it !!  Take care and I hope to hear from you soon!!
#267 - September 29, 2004, 07:33 PM

islandgirl

My name is Joyce. I am trying to get my drawing skills (esp drawing children) up to snuff for illustrating. I have earned some extra cash while I have been home through the years by freelancing as a news photographer, doing murals and illustrations for local ads. Someday I hope to be illustrating my own stories as well as those of other writers. Right now I am working on my first picturebook manuscript.
 :writing3:
I have 2 teenagers and spend a lot of time going to band and sporting events. Last year my mom and I  opened a small antiques shop that is open 4 afternoons a week. I also volunteer in the children's ministry program at our church.

I have gotten so much great information from crusing the old posts on the boards. This is a great place!
#268 - September 29, 2004, 07:52 PM

Elyse

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to to this lovely board.  Since I'm in a rut, I've been scanning this message board and found so much useful information.  My name is Elyse and I've just finished my first young adult novel.  It's a different sort of fantasy/scifi, and I've been trying to get published! It's such a tough business, and I can't seem to get into the next project because the rejection letters have been front and foremost in my mind. 

Enough about that!  I'm from Connecticut and I have not yet quit my day job.

Elyse
#269 - October 01, 2004, 09:00 AM

Greetings,

I've been poking around in this message board for a couple of weeks now and what a great place it is!  I've been immobilized with a broken foot and it's even hard getting around the studio, so I've put in a lot of computer time in the last six weeks.  I've gotten so much great information off this board and even posted a few messages, so I figured I should introduce myself.

I live in Arizona (where we think it's a beautiful fall day because the temperature finally dropped below 100 degrees F.)  I've lived here for over 36 years, yikes!  I went to ASU and have a BFA in Graphic Design.  I've been a member of SCBWI for a few years. (I designed the logo and website masthead for our local AZ chapter.) I've been attending every event I can possilly afford, to try and perfect my craft. I write and illustrate PB's.

I have one concept book making the rounds right now.  I think I'm at about nine or ten rejections, but 4 came with a personal letter.  (As hard as it is to get that package back in the mail, it does soften the blow when the editor takes the time to add "Stick with it, I think your project has a lot of potential." and "I appreciate your lovely images.")   I'm currently working on a picture book that needed new illustrations and a new dummy book after many manuscript revisions.  I plan on having it critiqued at a SCBWI Editor's Day in Scottsdale next month. Hopefully I can start sending it out soon after that.  Isn't the power of a deadline amazing!

It's great getting to know all of you and thanks for all the advice and information.
Gail
http://www.scbwi-az.org/
#270 - October 01, 2004, 10:10 AM

Members: