SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi and welcome, islandgirl, Elyse and Gail. Gail, I love your rabbit avatar.
#271 - October 01, 2004, 10:44 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

swimmer

Hi  :balloongroup:
I'm Lynne or Swimmer and I was fortunate  :yayto discover Verla Kay in May or so.  This is my first and may I say only chat room.  I  :hug1: just ceebrated my 38th anniversary to best guy in the world and maybe other worlds not known, yet.  I live in Suffolk County, Long Island, New York.  I am proud to say I am Brooklyn born.  I always wanted to be an artist and a writer from earliest childhood.  I was a social worker before I had my children. I have subbed and taught English when my children were older. I have a married daughter who have two delicious children. almost 3year old and almost 5 months.  I see her and the children several times a week. my son is an independant San Francisco filmmaker who is doing documentaries.  I am very blessed.  I am in a watercolor weekly group(I run it from my home during the summer), swim a few times weekly, am a member of two local quilt guilds(make quilts for needy families),go to a religious group weekly.  I ran a writers' group for over a year.

Years ago, I had been writing little children's stories to keep my children occupied while they waited for their turn to take local swimming lessons at our town beach.  I cannot imagine my life without writing.  Writing has been marvelous for me.  I'm never far from my journal.  I panic when I'm near to the end of my jounal and do not have a fresh one in the wings. The first time I wrote and was published it was for my Girl Scout Newsletter.  The very first time I submitted an article for pay I was accepted, the scecond and third time it was. How utterly obnoxious I became.  Then I tried my true love the, "children's market." HA, HA!" Evenually I hit some minor kids mags.  My only success were my pages of riddles five years ago in, "Hopschotch for Girls,"  and "Quest for Boys."
I

#272 - October 02, 2004, 09:02 PM

Welcome swimmer. It's great to have you on board. There's lots of great info that keeps us all encouraged and writing away. Glad you joined us!
Kristy
#273 - October 03, 2004, 03:16 AM
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
ME WITH YOU -- (Philomel)
MINI-RACER -- (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK -- (Abrams)
http://kristydempsey.livejournal.com

slmitchell

Hello all... my name is Saundra, I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana. I've been making my living as a screenwriter for eight years now, supplemented with short fiction, and I finally wrote my first novel last October. Wrote my second this May, and I'm working on a new one- I guess October and May are good for me. Currently, I write for Dreaming Tree Films, and not unsurprisingly, making the transition from film work to novel work is just like starting over completely.
#274 - October 04, 2004, 09:42 AM

Dot

Welcome to the board Saundra! Are your novels mg or YA?

And um, your Lex icon with that motto under it makes me think you're encouraging all of us to commit dastardly crimes.

Kidding! I'm kidding. I know we're supposed to be leaping into the net that will appear.

Not the Kryptonite loaded net that will suck out our vital life force. Or anything.
#275 - October 04, 2004, 04:20 PM

slmitchell

Thanks for the welcome, Dot, i appreciate it! :) You know, heh, it never occurred to me that my sweet Lex and that particular motto would be joined in holy board-trimony, but now that you mention it, it does seem kind of threatening. Time to rethink...?

Hey, in a fight between Lex and Angel, who do you think would win?
#276 - October 04, 2004, 04:58 PM

Dot

Hey, in a fight between Lex and Angel, who do you think would win?

Mano a mano, Angel obviously. But if Lex had time to plan, I'm sure he could outwit Angel. Heck, maybe even Clark could outwit Angel. Unless Angel turned into Angelus for some reason, then he would win.
#277 - October 04, 2004, 06:56 PM

slmitchell

You know, now my head has gone to a cage match place that has absolutely *nothing* to do with children's literature. *whistles innocently*
#278 - October 04, 2004, 07:05 PM

JKC

Hello all. I thought it was about time that I stopped being so timid and introduce myself. My name is Jayme and I am a writer, artist, and calligrapher. My favorite things in the world are my husband, my three dogs, my horses, and my computer (when it works.) I have several PB’s and a humorous MG mystery out there in please publish me land.
#279 - October 05, 2004, 05:33 AM

LMW

Hi JKC, :)

I guess I can say welcome even though I'm very new myself here. I'm beginning to find myself getting hooked on the place though.
Watch out, it might get you too! :hug1:
Lynn
#280 - October 05, 2004, 06:11 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Oh... "Please-publish-me-land!" I like that, JCK... What a great phrase.  Welcome to the board - to you and all the new people.   :yup
#281 - October 05, 2004, 07:15 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

JKC

Thanks for the welcome Lynn and Verla Kay. I promise to be chatty once I feel comfortable. You have been warned.

Jayme
#282 - October 05, 2004, 07:44 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
... I promise to be chatty once I feel comfortable. You have been warned.

:death: EEEK! :eek5:  Should we run now, Lynn?   :cuccoan: :cuccoan:

:dr
#283 - October 05, 2004, 01:34 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

swimmer

Hi - everyone :balloongroup:, it' s me, swimmer.  Thank you, Kristy and Verla Kay for the welcome. :hug:
 I'm a little embarrassed that I wrote so, so, so much in my introduction, last week.  I was planning on going over what I wrote and,"whops," off it went.
I just am  :yay thrilled to be here. :writing3:
bye for now
#284 - October 11, 2004, 06:51 PM

witchwritermom

:writing3:

Hello, my name is Jennifer and I'm new to this board. I am a freelance Mommy, writer, artist and editor to a brand new (debuts October 15th, 2004) e-zine for beginning writers, named NEWBIE.

My family and I live in Ohio. I have a son who will be 3 in November and twin daughters that will be 4 tomorrow!

I'm excited about the upcoming NaNoWriMo, hoping the third time is a charm!

I look forward to getting to know everyone!
#285 - October 12, 2004, 02:37 PM
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:41 PM by witchwritermom »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Welcome to Verla's, Jennifer! Glad to have you here. :)
#286 - October 12, 2004, 03:36 PM

JKC

Welcome. Welcome! Welcome!!!  :jump  Everyone here is wonderful and so supportive! I'm even trying to be less timid!
#287 - October 12, 2004, 03:42 PM

Deb

Hello and welcome Jennifer  :)

Congratulations on your e-zine and maybe will see you over a NaNoWriMo. That is... when we are not writing  :typing:

Cheers

Deb
#288 - October 13, 2004, 08:06 AM

KimRamsey

I'm Kim Ramsey; I recognize a few people's names from the CW list and the Yellow Board. (I'm Troublewriter on yella). I write a little bit of everything; in 2002, a phonics-based reading program I wrote was published, and I've had a couple short stories published on Story Station. I'm currently working on an MG novel, have a picture book ms that I need to revise (but keep procrastinating on), and just started reworking a YA novel of which I wrote the first draft when I was 19 (15 years ago). I'm also a mom of two, and a special ed. teacher's aide at a local middle school. (Great place to get ideas for stories!) I look forward to hanging out here  :)
#289 - October 17, 2004, 05:51 AM

tom

Welcome to the forum Kim.  ;D
#290 - October 17, 2004, 06:46 AM

Bubbles

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sharon.  I'm 22 and live in Scotland.  I've been lurking the last couple of days to get a feel of the boards and site, which I think are excellent!   ;) I am a complete novice and have never written, not unless you count school! LOL!  I've been struggling since leaving school to find out what it is I want to do with my life.  I've thought about teaching however not sure I am completely suited to that profession.  I love reading and always have done ever since I can remember.  Friends and family laugh because I tend to read more children's books than anything else.  They hold a special place in my heart!  I've thought about becoming a librarian because of my love of books, but not sure if it would be creative enough for me.  During a discussion with my mother I told her I would love to be able to write for kids but I'm not good enough.  She asked if I had ever tried and I realised I hadn't!  So I thought I would look into it, get some advice and see if I have any talent for writing.  No harm in trying right?  I am a little scared of falling on my face with a  :faint: but I haven't anything to lose.  I understand that I may never get published but you only live once.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Take Care
Sharon
#291 - October 17, 2004, 09:31 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi and welcome to witchwritermom, Deb, Kim and Bubbles. I'm the world's slowest writer and I'm thinking of doing NaNoWriMo, too, to get me going on my second novel.   :snail:
#292 - October 17, 2004, 10:41 AM
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 10:45 AM by dinoknees »
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Daromaius

Hi everybody!

My name is Rick and I'm from New Jersey. Been writing forever and seriously for about two years, and am still working on my first novel, ENTROPY. A lot of my projects aren't meant to be middle grade or YA, but some of them are. Had this site recommended to me by an acquaintance, and I've been poking my nose through old threads all day. Here I am. :)

This will be my third year participating in Nanowrimo, and I just sent out my first professional sub (a flash story) to a paying e-zine. I don't think it'll get in, but the first step on the road to success is failure!

... Wait, that's not right...

Anyway, hello!
#293 - October 26, 2004, 02:09 PM

*Gasp!*  I know you!

Love the icon.  Welcome aboard.
#294 - October 26, 2004, 03:59 PM
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 04:01 PM by Jeff_S »
THE LAST DOGS (as Christopher Holt) - Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
DEVIANTS - Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins

http://jeffsampsonbooks.com

Daromaius

Why yes, Jeff, yes you do. :)

And thank you. On both counts.
#295 - October 26, 2004, 05:35 PM

Jaina

Hi,  Rick, and welcome!  Love your picture there by your posts, esp. the "Do or do not" quote. 
#296 - October 26, 2004, 06:02 PM

kellyr

Hi.  My name's Kelly and I live in South Jersey.  I met Liz and LisaM recently at an SCBWI mentoring session - way cool.  I've written a few paperbooks which I'm hoping get dug out of slush piles sometime this year, and am working on a MG novel, which I'm hoping to get drafted in November - thanks to lilkap or whoever started us out on that one!!  Thanks to many of you for all the tips I found previously while lurking around for great suggestions on useful things like envelope sizes and submissions tracking, and for some of the more humorous items like the twisted wish!
#297 - October 29, 2004, 04:57 PM

MKM

Hello everyone -

My name is Michele and I'm new to this site. I'm a writer/illustrator, although I've only just begun  pursuing this seriously. I've written picture books and I'm working on a MG novel. I'm not published yet, but the "good rejections" are beginning to come in. :momkid:

I read the boards often. It's a great resource!
#298 - November 01, 2004, 07:53 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Welcome to the board, Kelly and Michele. There is a lot of information here and on the rest of Verla's site. Enjoy reading and chatting with us!

-Cassandra
#299 - November 06, 2004, 11:33 PM

MamaG

Welcome to Michele, Kelly (and everyone I missed during my hiatus!).
It is good to see new "faces" on the board
#300 - November 07, 2004, 05:02 AM

Members: