SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Lookit, a board!

Okay, Kidlitters, I've been far and away 'cause of the new night shift and trying to finish up the book, but I found the board despite not having any assistance (go me!) and am so glad to have a place to go when I'm procrastinating.  I mean, er, thinking about what to write.  

For everyone who doesn't know me, my name is Jeff, as evidenced by my oh so original nick over on the left there.  I've been a regular at the Kidlit chat for a year and a half now, and the whole time I've been working on a mid-grade epic fantasy thing that's drained me half to death but is finally, after two years, almost done.  I started writing professionally when I was 18 and was asked to write some stuff for Scholastic's web team.  I worked with them several times over the past few years.  Not too long after that first job, I worked with one of their authors (who I had known for several years by then) on one of her series.  Now I'm 21, and I'm working on my own thang.

In fact, that thang is almost done, y'all.  I'm serious this time.  As in, I only have a few chapters left to write, and they're the last chapters, which are my favorite chapters and should be easy to breeze through.  Rock on for me!

So, anywho, so glad to see everyone here and that I have a way to communicate other than forcing myself to wake up at 6 PM to talk in chat.  I miss my @, but I suppose somehow I can manage....
#31 - September 07, 2003, 05:48 AM
THE LAST DOGS (as Christopher Holt) - Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
DEVIANTS - Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins

http://jeffsampsonbooks.com

ClaraRose

Well, what can I say?
I'm a recent grad of the ICL basic course and contemplating the book writing one  :-\.  I've got a handful of e-magazine things out there and story in Chicken Soup.  For me, this all really started though with a dream and  the STARS -- you can see my picture here -- I'm Robin!  

Sometimes I beat myself up thinking I should have more things in print  :(.  But please realize I'm in the heat of holding a full time job and raising four kids, one teenage boy , one "preteen  :o " girl and a couple of midgrade boys.  Call me a fool, but we homeschool them all :P.  I've been doing some "jamming" with my oldest and we have played at a couple coffee shops, which he thinks is cool  8)

I write when I can and try to keep a few things out at any given time.  I do enjoy putting together a story, I like the planning and shaping of things.  
#32 - September 07, 2003, 06:55 AM

kingguler

Hi!

My name is Cheri and I am a newbie.  I just started the ICL course and have one pb written.  I've been revising it everyday it seems.  I wonder how many times it will take?

I have been a lurker on the Yella board and the CW group.  I'm really enjoying the banter as well as all the terrific information for a newbie like me.

I really look forward to being a member of this group, and thank you Verla for always being there for us new guys.  

Can't wait to get to know you all better.
#33 - September 09, 2003, 04:22 PM

Andrea

HI, everyone. I thought I should introduce myself since I came over to share my good news. I'm a SAHM, expecting my third child (a boy, finally, my hubby says,) and have been writing seriously for children for the past two years. As of yet, I am still unpublished, but hopefully, as I can now afford a sitter every once ina while, I might get a bit more done. I recognize some of you from other boards- nice to see you!

Happy writing to you all!

:)Andrea
#34 - September 09, 2003, 06:35 PM

nikki2526

Hello, my name is Nikki I am a 22 year old wife and mother of two, 3 yrs. and 8 months, from Philadelphia. Housewife by day and 2nd year Architecture student by night. I've always loved reading and writing and I absolutely love children. I originally planned to become a Pediatrician, however during my freshman year of college I became pregnant and decided to change career plans, so I could stay home with my son. I am currently writing a story and hope to find an agent to help me get published. Good Luck to Everyone!!
#35 - September 11, 2003, 07:52 AM

Barbara Eveleth

Thank you, Verla Kay for the new blue board.  I stumbled on to this site.  What a nice stumble.  Hi to everyone!  I'm AE and I am focusing on writing and illlustrating picture books.  I feel as if I have been in a vacuum for the past few weeks. It is great to hear from you all again! I felt as if my "family" had been kidnapped...but I found you!  Hope you are all writing, writing, writing!
#36 - September 11, 2003, 09:35 AM

Jaina

Hi, everyone!

I'm Susan, but as some of you may know, I never go by that online.  ::settling down on the psychiatrist's sofa:: I never felt like a "Susan."  I think the Ramona books ruined the name for me.  You know, Susan was that whiner copycat with the "boing boing" curls.  So blame Beverly Cleary.  

I go by "Jaina" online.  Long story, but it has to do with my being a Star Wars geek, so you probably don't want to hear!   ;)  I've been writing for children for about a year, working on magazine stories, picture books, middle grade . . . I'm all over the place.  I pop into Verla's chat from time to time and do my hyperactive goofball number.  I'm kind of like the chat equivalent of a Jack Russell terrier, I guess.  Since I'm kind of a newbie, I have lots of questions, and Verla's place is great for answers!  Thanks, Verla!

#37 - September 11, 2003, 09:48 AM

kimmar

Hi Everyone!
My name is Kim, though some of you may know me as "kimmar."  I'm a regular in Verla's chat, and a dialy lurker on the cw list and the yella board.  I am a stay-at-home mother of two, and a child therapist trying to transition to a career in writing books for children.  Once I found my passion, I wanted to do as much as I could to strengthen my skills.  I went back to school not too long ago to study children's writing and have been working hard since that time on improving my craft.  Right now, my focus is on picture books and poetry. I hope to keep learning and improving!
#38 - September 11, 2003, 11:32 AM

kingguler

Hi Kim,

You and I have something in common.  I'm a school psychologist changing careers to writing for children (and taking some counseling classes).  

Have you had anything published?  What is your writing experience so far?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheri

Hi Everyone!
My name is Kim, though some of you may know me as "kimmar."  I'm a regular in Verla's chat, and a dialy lurker on the cw list and the yella board.  I am a stay-at-home mother of two, and a child therapist trying to transition to a career in writing books for children.  Once I found my passion, I wanted to do as much as I could to strengthen my skills.  I went back to school not too long ago to study children's writing and have been working hard since that time on improving my craft.  Right now, my focus is on picture books and poetry. I hope to keep learning and improving!
#39 - September 11, 2003, 01:16 PM

Jaina

Fi Fi Fo Fum . . .

I see two new members (people from my critique group--the Willbes) who haven't introduces themselves yet . . .  ;)

Are you gonna delurkify or do I have to drag you out, people?  

#40 - September 12, 2003, 06:08 PM

amyo

OK, OK, I guess I've been de-lurkified, thanks to Jaina!   ;)

I'm also a member of the yella-withdrawal-symptom horde -- it's nice to see some familiar names here, and to meet some new ones!

After the Yella's (temporary) demise, I was hoping to be able to re-enter the message-board world with some good news, but I've spent most of my time lately just tallying the rejections.  Oh, well.  

Spending time with all these cool colors and faces  :P will cheer me up, no doubt!

In a nutshell -- I'm a corporate event producer from Minneapolis -- married, 2 boys, and in the middle of an endless house-renovation project that is taking away all my writing time!  It has to end eventually, right?

Good to meet you all!
#41 - September 12, 2003, 06:38 PM

Cindy

Agy told me you were all hanging out over here.  I'm afraid I'm another Yellowboard refugee (Cindy from Maine).  

It's nice to see familiar names from there and my critique groups (Hi Jen W. and Kate and Barbara E.).  

In a nutshell, I have one MG novel in the works with Scholastic, and I'm currently rewriting another.  I live in Maine with my two kids, husband, and assorted pets.    

Andrea, congratulations on your grant!  I received a Letter of Merit yesteday in the mail which was a nice surprise.  
#42 - September 13, 2003, 02:41 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I received a Letter of Merit yesteday in the mail which was a nice surprise.  

Cindy,

Welcome and congratulations on your terrific news!  I'm so glad you're here.
Anne Marie

#43 - September 13, 2003, 05:09 AM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

jenward

Hi All,

I'm Jennifer, aka jenward or jw.

I live in AZ with my husband, daughter and assorted surrogate children with fur and whiskers.

I balance my time between homework guidance nightly, herding dust bunnies, traversing mountains of laundry and writing full time.  My focus is picture books.

What a fun board.  !Muchos Gracias, Verla!
#44 - September 13, 2003, 07:26 AM

Pickles

Hi,

I don't know what I'm doing here, but I'm trying so I hope this message comes out right.   I'm also a Yella refugee.  Anne Marie just told me this morning about this board.

I haven't been around because I just moved from Nebraska to Texas, and I'm still hunting for my underwear.  

I'm using the same handle I used on Yella, cuz I like it.  Some of you know me as Kay, Lilli, Lillian, or Lilkap.

I write mostly humorous middle grade.  Some early readers.  Some humorous poetry.

Sorry, my brain has just been zapped by the discovery that my four year old has been poking holes in my new textured walls with a ball point pen.  My seven year old just "told."  Mom do you know the walls in this new house are weak.

Aiggghhhh!!
#45 - September 13, 2003, 08:00 AM

KimS

Yay - a new place to waste more time! I'm KimS, and I'm hoping I can juggle this board into my spare time! I was a semi-regular visitor to the Yeller, in an on-off kind of way. It all depended on how generous my three kids were with my time!
I'm writing from over in Australia, and the only reason I even need to say that is so that everyone pardons my spelling! I write PBs mostly, and am trying to leave them behind for a while and concentrate on something more likely to be published - mag stories for example - but the PBs keep calling me back! I'm on a big submitting streak at the moment - so I might need support in a few months if the rejections come all at once!
Glad to see my crit group buddies from the Yeller here!
Thanks for the new board Verla!
#46 - September 13, 2003, 05:31 PM

JulesE

Hi everyone! I'm JulesE, and I'm new to this board. (Though I've visited Verla's site plenty of times. I must be blind. I didn't notice the chat board prompt before!) I'm new to the world of submitting work to publishing houses, though I've been writing for what seems like forever. I've posted on other boards (Yellow (as je), Writer's Cafe and one of the Yahoo boards.) I'm so happy to have found this one! Hello to those of you that I recognize from the Yellow board! I can't wait to see what's here. Verla, your site has been really helpful to me! Thanks.
#47 - September 13, 2003, 08:50 PM

Cindy

Thanks very much, Anne Marie!  That was a stellar mail day at my house, because my contract and my advance came that day, too!  Most of the money went to boring things like taxes and roof repairs, but I did buy myself a simple and pretty pink tourmaline ring to celebrate my first book $.  

It's great to see you.  I've been missing these familiar names (and I'm looking forward to "meeting" everyone else).

#48 - September 14, 2003, 05:31 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hi, Jules (and everyone else who is new here, too!)

No, you weren't blind.  This board has only been here for two weeks (almost.)  That's probably why you never saw it before. It wasn't here!   ::)
#49 - September 14, 2003, 07:54 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Cindy!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Congrats on your letter of merit, contract and advance!

:)

dinoknees
#50 - September 14, 2003, 09:19 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

lj

Yay Cindy!  Congratualtions on the Letter of Merit and your book contract!   :o  Wow!  You are on a roll!  

Tell us the title of your book with Scholastic so we can look for it!
#51 - September 14, 2003, 11:10 AM

Caroline

look at all the fun toys here!!

:D
Hi everyone,

I'm Caroline from the yellow board, from Ottawa Canada. I am a stay-at-home mom /elementary teacher / home daycare provider who writes for kids.

I've had some stuff in Highlights, GP4K, Storyteller Magazine, and humour columns in the newpapers but I am itching for a book contract. Got a few pbs out there, a collection of poems, and this summer I 'tried' to finish the novel. Still working on that.

Great to see you all again. It has been too long.  ;D
#52 - September 14, 2003, 02:38 PM

ErinS

Hey everyone!

A lot of you know me already, but I'm Erin.  I was a regular at the chat, but I've had a lot of computer problems in the last while and I've been busy canning the mountain of fruit from my backyard.  Who wants some jam?  

I'm also a yella board refugee.  I sure have missed you all!  I feel so out of touch.  

I write mostly picture books, but have been working on a fantasy YA.  Writing has been put aside lately, but I need to get busy again!  

I look forward to getting to know all the new people and seeing what is going on with all of you I haven't talked to forever!!  

Erin
#53 - September 14, 2003, 03:34 PM

HB

Eep! Guess I'd better introduce myself since Jaina is threatening to delurk me. Not to mention the fact that I told Caroline about the board yesterday and she beat me to the introductions. Thanks Jaina for letting your fellow Willbe's know about the board. And thanks to Verla for organizing this.

I'm HB, otherwise known as Heather. I was a semi-regular poster on Yella. Have stayed away from CW and Verla's chat because I figured I should only have one form of writing procrastination. Then Yella went down and I was lost.  :-\ But now I'm found.  :)

I'm in Canada so KimS and I spell colour the same way. One hubby, one toddler, two cats. Software tester by day.

I have a bunch of non-fiction adult articles published. Nothing in kiddie-lit...yet. I've been writing and submitting PBs, magazine stories, an EZ, and I'm 2/3 of the way through an early MG.

Nice to see everybody again.
#54 - September 15, 2003, 09:10 AM

scorbett

Wow. I am just blown away by all the wiggly icons I can choose from. I could waste hours just trying out all of them.

I see many many familiar names here, including neighbors and people I've already been e-mailing all day. (Hi, Anne Marie!) I never made it to the Yellow Board (which probably was good for my career) but I know Verla's books and website so I thought I would dip in here and say hi.

For the three of you I don't know (okay, maybe six), I write mid-grade novels -- one published, another sold, another sitting on my editor's desk (since January, I might add). I also have a bunch of picture book manuscripts I haven't gotten anywhere with.

(Plus, she whispers, hoping no one has rotten tomatoes, I am a book reviewer. But I never write nasty reviews.)

Nice to see ya ll.

xo,

Sue Corbett
#55 - September 16, 2003, 01:16 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hey Sue!  Glad to see you here.   Hope you're ready for the big blow!  

Anne Marie

;D
#56 - September 17, 2003, 05:34 AM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Sue... don't tell anyone else, but I'm also a reviewere. (However I mostly cover adult lit fiction for women's mags, so no one need fear the awesome power of my wrath!!!!)  xoLaurel
#57 - September 17, 2003, 07:28 AM

scorbett

Uh, oh. Two reviewers.

Anne Marie -- kids are off from school TODAY (and for the rest of the week.) Arrrgh! Moreover -- looks she's going to skirt west of us toward you!

Stay dry.

Sue
#58 - September 17, 2003, 08:37 AM

CrummyButtons

Hey, all--

Lisa here. I'm a textbook writer who is looking to get into writing fiction for young adults/middle grades. I feel sort of silly being on these boards because I just made up my mind to start writing fiction a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't written anything yet. Mostly, I've been reading the new young adult books that are out there to get a feel for the market. I'm eager to start writing, but my brain has yet to squeeze out any original ideas. Well, that's not entirely true. In the past two days I've come up with two great topics for my husband to write books about. Hmph.

Can anyone recommend any writing exercises I can use to get the cogs turning? I'm at a loss here.

This Friday, I'll be attending my first SCBWI (Carolinas) writer's conference. I've gotta say, I'm pretty psyched.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
#59 - September 21, 2003, 09:10 AM

Jaina

Lisa,

"Story Sparkers" is a nice book about generating ideas for children's books.  I'll bring my copy to the conference so you can see if it might help.  See you there!
#60 - September 21, 2003, 05:34 PM

Members: