SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

:yup Welcome, Tom -- nice to have you aboard!

#3031 - March 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Saul Tanpepper

Hey, BBers. Longtime lurker, but finally had to reg and become a part of this great community. Can't wait to get started!
#3032 - March 24, 2011, 03:46 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas

feecaro

Hello, Everyone,

I am a 100% Newbie-- just joined the blueboards and I am already staying up WAY past my bedtime reading and learning so much.  My name is Carolyn and I have been writing fiction and non-fiction for children for the past 3-4 years, after abandoning a career in academia.  (I used to be a French professor.  Now I am a homeschooling mother and I write whenever I can.)  I've been to a couple of conferences, have sold a couple of non-fiction articles to Boys' Quest magazine, and have been stock-piling rejection letters for fiction-- short stories, PB, and poems... although lately it seems that actual print rejections are becoming a thing of the past and no news = no thanks. I was kind of hoping for a thick file of rejection letters to show off one day-- oh well!

I am looking forward to learning a lot about the process and the children's lit community here on the blueboards.  I am especially interested to learn all I can about how to know when a manuscript is ready to submit, how to make sure I am submitting to the right places, and especially to find some critique partners or a regular group.  I move around a lot (in the last 2 years moved from CA to the UK to VA!) and so an online community that can "travel" with me will be just great.

Thanks again.  I am looking forward to joining in the conversation!

Best,
Carolyn
#3034 - March 24, 2011, 08:57 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Welcome, Carolyn! There's a lot here...you might want to schedule several late nights to read it all... :)

(And BTW my husband is a German professor, and we have moved sooooo many times--so that is also one reason I love Verla's! This place is always here no matter where we are!)
#3035 - March 24, 2011, 08:59 PM

Saul and Carolyn -- welcome aboard!  :biggrin:

#3036 - March 25, 2011, 03:08 PM

MelissaIveyStaehli

Hi Donna! 

I'm also from Ohio.  My name is Melissa and I am also new to this site.

I love to write as well.  I love to write poetry and now I have also stuck my toe into the "writing world" of children's books!  My first book - I Love You to the Moon - will be out this Fall 2011!
I'm very excited about it!

This whole project can feel overwhelming at times, but I am enjoying the journey that the Lord is taking me on.

Blessings to you,

Melissa~ :hug
#3037 - March 30, 2011, 07:51 AM

Welcome aboard and congratulations, Melissa! :)

#3038 - March 30, 2011, 02:40 PM

evelyn

hi all!
im a 51year old mother of 2 great kids aged 26 and 22.
I work part time as a receptionist and entertain kids at their parties on the weekends.
I make plaques and write stories for kids :)
my story about Fairyclown Kingdom started 4 years ago and I've bought the trademark and used one of the characters as an entertainer. this was to give the concept a bit of promotion and i have been inundated with requests from the public about "the book" !!
I'd love to see my story on the big screen but as you all know there is a procedure and sometimes,although i am passionate about my Fairyclown characters, it can get exhausting!
hope to get some good advice and meet new friends here. x
#3039 - June 01, 2011, 03:05 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas

Welcome aboard, Evelyn. :)

#3041 - June 01, 2011, 02:42 PM

sunny

Welcome Evelyn :hearts  I look forward to getting to know you.
#3042 - June 01, 2011, 04:01 PM

Heather Hatch

My thought about Evelyn:  I think it's interesting that most of us write with the outside hope that a character or two in a story or two someday will have a life outside the book, and here you are, living and interacting with yours in a very real "outside life"  for years before they ever live between the pages! Neat work. Sounds like something you do out of love.

My thought about Carolyn: Maybe that stack of rejections isn't so literal anymore (darn it, I didn't realize the lost "great-writer-persistence-visual-for-speaking-engagements" opportunity that stack represented until now!) but your attitude about amassing a stack is great.
#3043 - June 19, 2011, 10:16 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hello new members!  There's an entire board just for new members to introduce themselves and start to get to know people--you'll find it here: http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?board=94.0
#3044 - June 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

licensedsunshine

Hi, Everyone!

I just started writing with professional intent in October, though my first experience was a written play in the 6th grade and I guess my teachers thought it good enough to get the entire 6th grade out of class to see it. Good times!

My name is Tori and I'm married with two little ones. This site is a great service and I hope to be able to help others as I have been helped already someday.
#3045 - January 29, 2013, 07:38 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Hello new members!  There's an entire board just for new members to introduce themselves and start to get to know people--you'll find it here: http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?board=94.0
I was wondering if this was a different type of introduction than the main Intro board.  :eh2
#3046 - February 09, 2013, 01:30 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
No, it isn't--I should have locked this Board when we started the other thread.  I'll do that now.
#3047 - February 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Members: