SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

ziacat

Hello!  My name is Carly :D .  I live in Southern California with my two beautiful kitties and am new to the children's writing world.  I've always known I wanted to write but since graduating from college my full-time jobs have kept me so busy and exhausted that all I've wanted to do is relax in the few spare moments I have to myself.

Well...last summer I became unemployed for the first time and those few spare moments turned into what seemed like endless hours of purposelessness and boredom.  One night (er...more likely early morning)  I was sitting at my computer, blurry-eyed from having surfed every website I could possibly think of, when I opened up Word and just started writing a poem for fun. I don't know where the inspiration came from only that I did it. I had forgotten how much I loved writing poems! 

I had stopped writing them probably around age 12 when the idea was impressed upon me that rhyming poetry was for children, and although cute, not serious poetry.  No one ever said that flat out but it was a feeling that was definitely emitted by school teachers and magazines and tv.  The word poetry suddenly seemed to take on a new definition.  When before the word inspired color and rhyme and laughter and beauty- now all I could envision was suicidal teenagers scribbling free verse that was 'deep' and bloody and depressing and often just a collection of careless words strewn on notebook paper.  I didn't enjoy what I considered 'adult' poetry so I put down my poetry pen and didn't pick it up again until that night.

I submitted my first batch of poems on a whim last Fall and to my complete shock one of the five was accepted for publication by a kid's mag. Although a small step it was just the motivation I needed to say "Hey you can do this!".  In the short time since I've received my fair share of rejections but I know I'm gonna have to get used to that more often than not. 

Anyhow...just wanted to say thank you to Verla Kay for such a great board.  The advice I've read so far seems invaluable and I'm sure I'm gonna need a lot more of it.  I'm excited to meet all of you!

Warmest Regards.

Carly (a.k.a ZiaCat)
#361 - March 09, 2005, 03:22 AM

Caroline

Hey Carly.... welcome a'board!  :)

(And congratulations on the sale.)
#362 - March 09, 2005, 04:18 AM

carimel

:jump

Welcome Aboard Carly!!    Just jump in and share with us your poems!!  I also write children stories myself.  I have also started my first mystery novel, which I am having soo much fun.  Even thou, my first calling is children stories!!!  Once again Welcome!!
#363 - March 09, 2005, 06:40 PM

goodgracia

Hi TG, hope you don't mind but I followed your directions and added something to my own post.  Just wanted to see how it looked.  Thanks!
#364 - March 12, 2005, 06:59 PM

tgseale

O0 Looks beeeeeeutiful, goodgracia!
#365 - March 12, 2005, 08:36 PM

ziacat

I don't have a clue how to navigate around here......can someone walk me through this one step at a time?  My niece told me about the website but I can't seem to get into the chat room.....arghhh......

At first I couldn't get into the chat room either and then I realized I was clicking on the  'Live Chat' section of the message board- not the actual live chat.  I'm not sure if this is the same problem you're having but if it is just start over again from www.verlakay.com click on Forums on the left hand side and then you will see on the left LINKS, LIVE CHAT, and MESSAGE BOARD- click on LIVE Chat. Hope this helps!

-Carly-
#366 - March 13, 2005, 10:01 PM

katznjammerz

I'm a longtime lurker and tentative poster, but this seems to be one of the most supportive websites for writers of children's books, so it's time to join the party, I guess.  I've been writing full time for three years and am in the stage of sending aound two mg novels and a pb, and writing 2 more novels...I cannot imagine NOT writing, but, like most of you, would love to see my work in print!
#367 - March 22, 2005, 05:59 AM

Jaina

Welcome, Katz, and all our other new members!
#368 - March 22, 2005, 07:38 AM

Hols

Almost brought a tear to my eye, seeing a few familiar names here. 

I'm pretty much a die hard from the old, old, old, old yellow board.  I've been offline quite a bit lately, since life got so hectic.  I've been helping my husband deal with a recently diagnosed auto immune disease and we bought a business, and bla bla bla.  Anyway, I've been working on a YA novel, that I finally finished and just submitted to Steven Malk for consideration, since he read the first few chapters a while ago and asked to see it when it was finished.  It appears he's a pretty popular guy to submit to around here, so I guess I fit right in. 

I'm working on a new YA novel and raising four crazy kids.  The one in the photo is actually 16 months now and can run circles around me.  I have about 4 overflowing mounds of laundry on my bed right now, and breakfast dishes still on the table, but adults deserve to have recess too, right?

#369 - March 22, 2005, 10:03 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I have about 4 overflowing mounds of laundry on my bed right now, and breakfast dishes still on the table, but adults deserve to have recess too, right?

Yep. They not only deserve it, with four kids underfoot it's almost a necessity for your santiy.  And if you aren't sane, you can't really care for all those children, now can you?  So... you are really taking the recess FOR the children, right?

(Hey!  It sounds good to me!)
#370 - March 22, 2005, 10:32 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

beachwriter

:clover :writing3:

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself.  I love love love to write!  I write picture books and middle grade. 
I look forward to meeting people here,
and hope everyone has a great day!   :writing3:
#371 - March 23, 2005, 10:02 PM

MKM

Hi Beachwriter!

You're not in Connecticut by any chance, are you? I live at the beach too. Just curious...

Welcome! This is a great board.

Michele
#372 - March 26, 2005, 11:33 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hello All,

I may just lurk at first, but thought I'd put in a formal introduction.  I think I may have participated a loooong time ago (it looked different then?), but I really don't remember because it was probably during college and I was busy and too stressed to write much of anything besides stuff for my journalism classes or writing minor.

A bit about me, andregirl.  I've been writing since forever, I suppose.  At least for the past twenty years, anyway.  But I'm also a graphic designer who is in love with the art of word and image.  For a short time, I worked as a graphic designer for a small children's book imprint.  For better or worse, I do, indeed, judge a book by its cover. 

I have unabashedly continued to check out picture books from my local library.  I also enjoy reading middle-grade fantasy novels and contemporary YA's.  Incidentally, I am working on my own of each. My only (current) published works are a personal essay for a Christian teen devotional magazine and a short work of fiction in my college literay magazine.

I look forward to interacting with everyone on this board!

--andregirl
#373 - March 26, 2005, 03:46 PM
www.andreabrame.com  |  Twitter: http://twitter.com/Andrea_Brame  |  Instagram: @andreabrame

fiendish

Hey everyone!

My name's Lisa... I'm a children's author and special education teacher. I just wrote my first middle grade ms and it's had one rejection so far, and is sitting in another publisher's slush pile. I like to write stories for ages 8-12 because that is the age group I teach. I'm particularly interested in reaching reluctant readers (my constituency, as well).

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all!

Lisa
#374 - March 27, 2005, 05:20 AM

JKC

Welcome aboard, everyone.  :jump  This is a great place and you will fun tons and tons of information and support here.

Jayme

#375 - March 27, 2005, 05:38 AM

brendalynn

Hello Everyone.

I'm Brenda, a recently divorced 36 year-old mother of two sons, ages 12 and 16, living in the midwest who loves poetry, funny pbs, and YA novels in verse. I read and write daily and also substitute teach, mainly at the jr.and sr. high level, while slowly working towards my BA in English.

It's nice to meet all of you. This seems like a great community.
#376 - March 30, 2005, 04:40 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :duh: :EmoticonDollar:
I've been lurking around here for about two, three weeks, and there are some things I just really NEED to respond to!  So... here I am!  I've been writing for too many years to count.  And still not published.  BUT, through those years I raised two beautiful teen girls by myself, worked two jobs and wrote several MGN, YA, many stories and a couple of PB.  My MGN is now making the circuit with some very nice personal rejections.  I've been to Chautaugua, back in 1996 when I had money!  And many SCBWI conferences.  Writing is my passion, and my love. 
#377 - March 30, 2005, 07:42 PM

moontrader

Hi, everyone,
I am a longtime lunch lurker, well, since about January, let's say.  I am a third grade teacher, but I squeeze in writing when I can, mostly weekends until summertime.  I am part of an online critique group which has greatly encouraged and helped me.  I have about 5 or 6 subs out there, and my fingers are crossed.  Well, I guess they aren't crossed when I am typing or writing...just figuratively.

Anyways, hello!  I love this site!  Melanie
#378 - March 31, 2005, 12:21 PM

shelley

:green:
Sorry.  I'm not Merry.  
#379 - April 01, 2005, 08:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  :werd

Please forgive.  I am still figuring out how to get in and out and on this board!
#380 - April 01, 2005, 03:38 PM

beachwriter

:reading2:

Hi!

No, I am not at the beach physically. . .but I am at the beach emotionally (G)

I live in Northern California

Margaret :)
#381 - April 02, 2005, 10:57 AM

Donna

I don't think I ever formerly introduced myself:

I am Donna Earnhardt from Concord, NC (transplanted form Cordova, NC).  I am married to Sean and we have 3 beautiful girls. Kaiti -7, Zoe (with 2 dots over the e) - 2 1/2 and Casey 15 months.  They were all very nice surprise blessings!! :)

I will share more about my writing as I get published. Right now, I am pluggin' along, trying to raise my babies :EmoticonHelp2:, trying keep a clean house ( :dr ), paying bills  :EmoticonDollar:, learning to prayfully and emotionally support my husband as he works full time and plays in our church Praise and Worship Band, plays on the softball team, is on the church council, etc... :eek5:, I actively participate in 2 online crit groups and moderate one of my own. In between all of that I am writing/revising/subbing to mags and book editors.  :writing3:

So there. Now you know a tiny sliver about me. Aren't you glad I posted?

Be blessed, Ya'll!

Donna
#382 - April 06, 2005, 05:53 PM

laverdiere

Hello, I'm delighted to have found this board though I may be a lurker for a while.

For the last ten months I have been hunting ancestors (found between 8-10 generations on my French-Canadian side and lots of interesting people on my British) and in the process found out the great use a excellent message board and mailing list can give. 

I want to get back into writing--specifically historial/adventure/mystery short stories and novels for the 8-12 crowd with some nonfiction thrown in!--so thought it would be a good idea to  lurk around a message board for inspiration/motivation.

Laverdiere
#383 - April 08, 2005, 11:02 AM

Hello, everyone! It's great to see the lurkers come out to play. This board has tons of information, and wonderful, helpful people to help you absorb it all. Enjoy!
#384 - April 08, 2005, 11:08 AM

ziacat

For the last ten months I have been hunting ancestors (found between 8-10 generations on my French-Canadian side and lots of interesting people on my British) and in the process found out the great use a excellent message board and mailing list can give. 

Hi Laverdiere!  What area of Canada were your ancestors from?  I've done a ton of research from ancestors from Newfoundland Acadia and that whole general area.  Geneology is SO much fun isn't it.

-Carly-
#385 - April 11, 2005, 06:20 PM

els

Hols- I LOVE seeing your name on the boards again! I've missed you!  I can't remember if my name change happened before or after you went offline- I used to be Amy of Orchard Hill.  Glad you are back. :)
#386 - April 11, 2005, 08:29 PM

thx1978

Hello! I'm really grateful to everyone for the invaluable information I've found here. I live in Northern California and I sent in my first manuscript (for a PB) 3 weeks ago. I'm trying to tell myself that it will most likely be rejected, but my brain is having a hard time accepting this. I hope the blow won't be too hard on me!  :-\
#387 - April 11, 2005, 10:41 PM

els

If it is, it will hurt, but you can be proud of yourself for taking that first step- Go thx!  Good luck.
#388 - April 12, 2005, 06:27 AM

Hols

Congrats Thx.  I remember that feeling--sending out my very first manuscript.  It was very exciting.  Even now though, after plenty of rejections and a few acceptances, I get excited every time I send out a manuscript.  If you do get a rejection back, save it!  I wish I still had my first one.  I've saved a lot of mine, and they are kind of like badges of honor for me.  :tongue:  Good luck! 
#389 - April 12, 2005, 08:26 AM

thx1978

Thank you for being welcoming and encouraging!  :love
#390 - April 12, 2005, 09:46 AM

Members: