Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hi thx1978,
Glad to meet you.
What kinds of things to you like to write?
Your two children look adorable!
#451 - June 21, 2005, 06:27 PM

Mervi

Hello thx1978,

Welcome to the board!
Hoping you have fun and good time here.
#452 - June 21, 2005, 08:03 PM

thx1978

Thanks, Mervi and Ev. I'm writing picture books, and I don't illustrate. Man, I wish I did though! This is a very informative message board. Enjoy your stay! :)
#453 - June 21, 2005, 08:11 PM

theartgirl

Hi,

My name is Colleen. I've been a fine artist for over fifteen years and started writing four years ago.

Hello. :artist:
#454 - June 22, 2005, 07:02 AM

Mervi

Hello Colleen,

welcome to the forum/board! I wish you have very good time and fun here.  :yup

:typing: I should be working on my book now...  :faint:
#455 - June 22, 2005, 07:48 AM

lotr_fanatic

Hi everyone!

I feel really...out of place. I'm only 13. Everyone else seems to be older than me... :o :cry: Well anyway, I love to write fantasy and sometimes sci-fi or mystery. I just signed up so...yeah. Well, hi everyone! Nice to meet you!  :angel
#456 - June 25, 2005, 12:50 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome, Theartgirl and Lotr_fanatic!
Hope you enjoy the interactions with other writers and artists here.  I'm fairly new myself and have been learning so much from reading everybody's posts.

Best wishes to you,   :)

Ev
#457 - June 25, 2005, 06:30 PM

kellyr

Hi all!  And Colleen, I'm pretty sure I know you, and I'm pretty sure you're missing a letter in your email address.
#458 - June 25, 2005, 06:54 PM

SunAndRain

Hi, everyone!

I guess I'm the newbiest newbie here!  My name is Nicole, I'm a SAHM and a fledgling writer.  I was a writing and elementary education major in college and have only recently (the kids are getting more independent) gotten some me-time to start seriously jotting down ideas and reading up on the writer's markets/publishers.  Wow - there is a lot to learn!  I have one manuscript that is close to being polished enough to submit, but I am still a little too clueless to toss it out into the world at this point.  I need to find myself a critique group badly!  Of course my husband thinks everything I write is marvelous  ;D  Now I need some unbiased feedback.  My main interest is in writing children's picture books but I have one itch to write an adolescent girls' book.  I may or may not scratch that sometime in the future.

I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon this board and I hope to learn a lot while I'm here!  Support is a wonderful thing and I'm happy to give it as well as receive :)
#459 - June 27, 2005, 05:33 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome Sun&Rain!  Best wishes to you on all your writing endeavors.  We look forward to hearing from you.  :)
#460 - June 27, 2005, 06:39 AM

Welcome, Sun&Rain! I'm pretty new here myself. I'm very happy I found this board, too! It's a great place to meet and talk to fellow writers. Non-writers just don't understand the trials and tribulations of a writer!

Jen
#461 - June 27, 2005, 06:23 PM
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
 :books: :books: :books: :books: :books: :books:

Hi, I had another name. .but of course, I lost it  :fury so I decided to get another one. . .so here I am, back again.
What a great board! :lov:  What a great website!   :artist:
I do not know WHAT  :reading2:  I would do without it!

Verla, you are truly a special person.  I am impressed with all the writers' lives you influence in such a positive way!
Meg
 :books: :books: :books: :books: :books: :books: :books: :books:
#462 - July 17, 2005, 12:23 PM

ritajr

Hi I'm Rita and I live in NJ.
I've been writing for a long time but have been teaching so I didn't take the time to practice my writing. Then I lucked into writing a column for an educational magazine a few years ago. Last year I finished grad school and joined a fabulous critique group, joined SCBWI, started attending conferences and have been taking the time to work on the craft. I must have improved because I had my first kids mag article published in June. Yay!

My husband is also in education and we have two teenage sons (18 and 15).

One of my critique group members talks about how great this web site is, and she's right! All of your posts are so informative, supportive, and interesting. Thanks for sharing the web address, kellyr!
I'm looking forward to moving up from my newbie status and joining the chat once in awhile. 

Rita  :typing:
#463 - July 18, 2005, 05:26 AM

kellyr

Glad to see you here, Rita -- you only have about 20 posts to go to get bumped up to "member"!  See you Wednesday at Writing.
#464 - July 18, 2005, 05:37 PM

ritajr

Thanks Kelly. I'm posting like crazy to get rid of the Newbie tag.
#465 - July 18, 2005, 05:55 PM

Amy Thomas

Newbie here to Verla's boards, but I recognize lots of people from other discussion groups.  Hi!
My background is public relations, writing for newsletters, and teaching, and I volunteer in the elementary school library.  My goal is to become a laminated poster, just because I like saying it.  After writing stories for five years, I finally started sending out manuscripts, thanks to the encouragement of my crit group. 

I grew up in the midwest, moved to the east, then out west, and now I live in the south.

Looking forward to getting to know the other 463 members!
#466 - July 20, 2005, 11:51 AM

Donna

What part of the South? I am in NC.

Grace,
Donna
#467 - July 20, 2005, 01:27 PM

Mstake

My name is Maureen, 17 years old and just graduated high school.  I'll be attending University of Illinois in Chicago in the fall.

I joined the message board to find a book as a gift for my friend.  Please look for my post about it.
#468 - July 20, 2005, 01:34 PM

Amy Thomas

Donna,
We're in Greenville, SC.  Hope to meet you at the Carolinas fall conference!
#469 - July 21, 2005, 09:24 AM

Donna

Oh yes! :) I am not sure how long it would take you to get to Davidson (NC), but a friend of mine and I are going to host a Summer Shmooze at the Summit (a coffee house right beside Ben and Jerry's).  We haven't posted it on SCBWI yet, but we are planning it for the second Friday night in August. I believe that is the 12th.  Anyone else in the are is WELCOME!!!

Grace,
Donna
#470 - July 21, 2005, 09:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for far too long and decided it was time to give a shout out to this warm, informative board. I write for a variety of age groups and have had success with magazines. My picture books and novel are slowly making the rounds. I like to illustrate, too. Some of you may know me from the New England SCBWI conferences. I’m looking forward to hanging out here more often.

Marcia :writing3:

#471 - July 24, 2005, 05:57 AM
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

JKC

Hi, Marcia. We're glad to hear that you've come out of lurkdom. It's a great place full of crazy, funny, intelligent folks. Watch out for the dragon and try not to end up in the dungeon. LOL  :yup

Jayme
#472 - July 24, 2005, 07:59 AM

Donna

Let me change my earlier post - it is the 3rd friday night in August (the 18th?)!

Grace,
Donna
#473 - July 24, 2005, 10:27 AM

ritajr

Hi Marcia,
We just returned from a short vacation in Vermont. We love New England and hope to find a home there someday.
Rita
#474 - July 28, 2005, 09:11 AM

Apprentice

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Coreen and I am currently a SAHM, Graduate Student, and now that I have sent off my very first submission (whether it gets published or not) I think i can consider myself a writer. I used to write a lot. When I was an English major I took many writing classes, including writing for children, but I was such a slacker back then--afraid that if I did my best it might not be good enough, so I never invested too much time in my writing. With maturity comes confidence and now I am writing, revising, creating something I enjoy and feel good about, and submitting. It feels good to be writing again, now I just need to add a few hours to the day so I can get some housework done as well.
#475 - July 30, 2005, 05:56 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi and welcome to Marcia, Rita and Coreen and any other newcomers.  :)
#476 - July 30, 2005, 10:05 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Fozi74

Hi!  I am completely new to message boards so please excuse any mistakes in ettiquete I make.  I am a former kidergarten teacher turned wife and Mommy of 2 kiddos.  I have been writing stories for their enjoyment since they were born.  I am going to begin submitting them to publishers soon!  I have ghost written a book for young adults that is due to be published early next year.  Other than that...I don't have anything to report!  Look forward to getting to know all of you! ;)
Gina
#477 - July 31, 2005, 08:46 PM

luckydog

Welcome, Gina!
#478 - August 01, 2005, 07:22 AM

Thomas Gerhardt

So, I guess it's that time to introduce myself.

New to children's writing, not quite new to writing itself. I'm looking back on a career in TV and magazine conceptual design, having worked in those capacities for NBC Europe, Future Publishing and BMG Publishing Group before founding the conceptual studio of the Word Factory (www.word-factory.com), in order to develop new creative properties for a wide variety of media.

My first feature film script “Reality Check“, has been optioned twice by multiple Emmy- and Academy Award winning producer Julian Krainin of “Quiz Show”, but is still in development hell, although people have told me that it might have moved from the 7th to the 5th circle.

I'm currently wrapping up my first kid's novel, "Elisa & The Tomb of Voices" (one can actually look at it in all interactive Flash glory LOL at http://word-factory.com/tombofvoices.html ), knowing that it doesn't fit into any drawer.

And sometimes I sleep. Yes. Sleep. That's about it.

T.
#479 - August 02, 2005, 09:11 AM

ritajr

Welcome to Gina, Thomas, and Coreen. It will be nice getting to know you all.
Rita

#480 - August 02, 2005, 10:58 AM

Members: