Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hi and Welcome to everyone!  I'm so happy to see people are getting useful information from my site. (And don't forget to check out the Transcripts, Educators, and Writers/Illustrators pages, folks. There's a wealth of information on them, too.)

Heidi, I enjoyed learning that you live in Columbia. I visited that delightful country back in 1979 and it was one of my two favorite out-of-the-country trips I've ever taken.  (Israel was my other favorite place to visit, and yes, I've been to more places than just those two countries.  :moose )

:hug1: to everyone.
#571 - November 19, 2005, 06:55 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

buzy bee

Hello everyone,

I am new to this board and glad to have found it. People here seem genuine and creative - two great things to be. I am from British Columbia Canada and am studying Educational Psychology. I love to write for children. So far I have been published as a poet but not for children (unless you count the fact that all adults were once children). Ha.
Peace and goodwill to you all.

Kate
#572 - November 20, 2005, 09:06 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Jane, what part of the state of Washington do you live in?  I'm on the eastern side, near Spokane...  :moose

Welcome to everyone!
#573 - November 21, 2005, 07:56 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Wow, Verla just asked me a question *swoon*.  Okay, first I have to gush -- I loved Homespun Sarah.  Enough of the newbie groveling.

I live in a new area called Fredrickson, it's sandwiched between Graham and Puyallup.  So about an hour south of Seattle.  My brother in law lives in Mead, just outside of Spokane.  We were coming out for Thanksgiving, but decided against it as the rocks keep sliding on I-90, and the delays are too much to handle with 4 small children in the car!   :devil:

I'm sorry to hear you're not closer, I was hoping to meet you at the Great Critique by the SCBWI WA chapter.  *sigh*

Thanks for such a great site and all the inspiration!

Jane
 :cuccoan:

p.s. I assume I'll drop my "newbie" status and become a member when I've done enough posting.
#574 - November 22, 2005, 12:48 PM
I Need My Monster ~Flashlight Press
Arizona Grand Canyon Reader
Alabama Camellia
California Young Reader
Georgia Storybook
Nevada Young Reader

June

Hi,

I have just discovered this board, and am so grateful for it. Thank you, Verla.

I am in central CT - anyone else here looking for a local critique group?

I have worked as a teacher and have written poetry and short fiction. Although I've published some in lit mags, and I still write poetry, I find that children are the best audience to write for or tell stories to. Some of my best friends have been the children of my best friends :), and writing to them, even after they've grown is a way of conquering time, isn't it! ;) 

I write for ages 4-10, although I may stretch beyond that sometime. I have a 4 year-old son, and he WILL grow, so I'd better be interesting and keep communication going through my writing, as well.

It's been amazing reading everyone's intros! Thanks for being here!
June

#575 - November 26, 2005, 05:26 PM

Poster Plus
<gasping for breath> Just finished reading all 20 pages of introductions! Now, instead of not knowing who anyone is, I can't remember who anyone is. But I love that there's an "introduce yourself" thread. One more thing to love about this board.

I make my living writing for educational publishers (preK-12), and I've been doing that for 15 years, sometimes under my own name, sometimes anonymously, and sometimes as "Nan Walker" or "Eleanor May." I'm newer to trade books; so far I've got a beginning reader (NEXT TO AN ANT, Scholastic, 2004) and a picture book (PIECES OF ANOTHER WORLD, Sylvan Dell, 2005), and I just accepted an offer from Knopf for my next picture book--though maybe I shouldn't say that till the contract's signed!

Glad to be here, and if anyone can tell me how to hide the bouncing icons and/or make the cursor stop flashing while I type my post, I'd be extremely grateful . . .
#576 - December 04, 2005, 09:10 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

MamaG

Wow, Mara!  You read all 20 pages??  It has taken me two years and I still don't think I have read them all.
  I have to confess though, I was inspired by your post and went back to read the first few pages.  It was fun seeing the posts of some of the "old-timers" (and I mean that in the most loving and respectful way ;D).
  Welcome to Verla's to Mara and all of our other new friends.
#577 - December 04, 2005, 02:47 PM

Andypar2

Hey everyone,

My name is Andie, I live in southern California. I’ll be graduating from UCSB this month, my last two finals are this week!...I should be studying.

I have been writing children’s stories my whole life but only recently became serious about publishing. I sent my first manuscript out in August and I’m waiting for news...from what I’ve read patience seems essential in this business.  :)

Everyone seems really helpful and encouraging here and I’m excited about getting to know you all.

~Andie  ;D

PS
Thanks for creating such a great board Verla!
#578 - December 04, 2005, 03:39 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Welcome to everyone, and a big "you're welcome" to all who are finding this board helpful.  It made me feel SO good to know this board and my website are accomplishing what they were designed to do - help others attain a higher level of success in this crazy, slow, mixed-up, wonderful business of creating stories for kids.  Enjoy! (Oh, and don't forget to click on the calendar button once in a while to see what events are coming up that you might want to participate in... like the ProTalk Discussion in the chat room tomorrow night on School Visits.)
#579 - December 05, 2005, 07:23 AM
Verla Kay

DreamingArrow

I've been looking around, and finally stumbled across a place to introduce myself... :)

Hello!  My name is Mary.  I'm a quite young writer just beginning to make a name for myself, (though I've been writing for years...I 'wrote' my first story before I even know how to write actual letters.  Not to worry though; I translated it verbally for those unable to understand my scholarly scribbles. :D ).  My first unofficial publication came when I was 10, and had a poem published in a small newsletter, though unpaid.  I've had three true, paid publications in the past year.  All three were short stories published in children's magazines.  I have other short stories currently pending for one of those magazines.  (Much thanks to my FANTASTIC editor there!)

At current, I'm working on a YA fantasy novel.  I'm about halfway through part one (It's about 90,000 words, or 200 pages).  I never expected it to be this long, but things have expanded since the outline, so I'm just letting it go until editing time comes.  I'm also banking on having a bit of leeway on the length because it's a fantasy.  (After all, with examples like Harry Potter or Eragon to go by, it would appear that readers, and at least some publishers, don't mind a particularly thick book.)  I'm extremely determined to complete this book and, especially, get it published.  Publication is my main goal.  I would absolutely love to see my book in print and hold it in my hands. :study

Aside from :typing: writing, I enjoy :books: reading, :artist: drawing, and my numerous pets.

This board was recommended by a friend, and it looks like a pretty cool place.  I'm glad to be here!

(Post Note: please excuse my experimenting with the color and smileys.  I'm just feeling my way around, that's all. :) )
#580 - December 06, 2005, 07:40 PM

jadedmetaphor

Hello! I'm Liz, and I am so very glad a friend recommended this website to me! I've just finished writing my first MG novel, and am in the process of trying to find an agent/publisher. I have a livejournal about my writing life by the same name (Jadedmetaphor) that contains more info about me :-)
Looking forward to sharing thoughts about writing with all of you.

:typing:

All the best,
Liz
#581 - December 08, 2005, 04:31 PM

Kelsey

Hi, Liz!  Big welcome to you and everyone else new to the boards! :D
Kelsey
#582 - December 08, 2005, 05:01 PM

jadedmetaphor

Lol- Thanks, Kelsey :-) Good to see you on another board!
#583 - December 08, 2005, 06:05 PM

Mervi

Hello all new ones! Hopes you can stay here and have fun!!
 :hug1:
#584 - December 09, 2005, 01:26 AM

dixiedoodles

:band

Hi, my name is Gail, and i have been writing childrens stories for about a year now.  I have 35 stories now ready to be published.  I am being represented by the Childrens Literary Agency,  Georgina Scott.

Please check out my new website:  http://www.dixiedoodles.net   its a new site that gives some samples of my work.

I hope you enjoy.

I look forward to making some friends here on this board. 

Gail
Dixiedoodles
pcgailc@excite.com
#585 - December 09, 2005, 09:28 AM

Kelsey

Welcome, Gail!  Nice site! :)
Kelsey
#586 - December 09, 2005, 10:21 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
:band
Hi, my name is Gail, and i have been writing childrens stories for about a year now.  I have 35 stories now ready to be published.  I am being represented by the Childrens Literary Agency,  Georgina Scott.

Please check out my new website:  http://www.dixiedoodles.net   its a new site that gives some samples of my work. I hope you enjoy. I look forward to making some friends here on this board. 

Gail
Dixiedoodles
pcgailc@excite.com

Hi Gail,

Welcome to the board. I enjoyed your site a lot! I am impressed that you have been writing for a year and have 35 stories ready!

It is fantastic to have agency representation for your work, but I have heard some less than positive things about CLA. If you are interested, you might want to check this site.  http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8286

or

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729

or

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=3569.0

Shirley
#587 - December 10, 2005, 08:57 AM
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 02:12 PM by ShirleyH »
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Barbara Eveleth

Welcome.  Just to restate what Shirley said, please be careful of this agency.  They are VERY questionable.  Happy writing.  Best, Barb

#588 - December 10, 2005, 10:03 AM

Haven

Been posting and it's suddenly dawned on me I haven't introduced myself! Anyway, I'm Jackie and I live in Scotland. I have been writing for years - mainly Fantasy - but at the moment I've started a YA novel. I've joined this great board to get hints and tips but I'm finding that talking to other writers is helping me to actually sit down and write! I'm a bit haphazard with my writing and have recently decided that I need to get more organised and stop using work and the kids as an excuse!
So, a big hello to everyone!!

:girl
#589 - December 11, 2005, 04:01 AM

Kelsey

Welcome, Haven!  I write contemporary MG (middle grade) fantasy. :)
Kelsey
#590 - December 11, 2005, 05:04 AM

Hi Jackie!  My name is Jackie too.  ^_^  And I write YA also.  Nice to meet you and all the other new people!  Hi, new people!
#591 - December 11, 2005, 05:19 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Marybeth

Hi to all the new people,
Welcome to the boards.  Here's wishing you success in your writing endeavors!
Marybeth
#592 - December 15, 2005, 02:38 AM

L.A.Burchell

:writing3: Hello all.
My name is L.A.Burchell but you guys can call me Daisfunk, as everyone else on the internet does. I'm 16 years old from England. I too have been writing for as long as I can remember and have posted Fan fiction on the net. I've completed 4 novels and I'm currently working on a serious project for publication.  :typing:
I have a passion for writing and have recently bought the writer's companion software and would recommend it to anyone on this site. It's brilliant.

So if anyone wants to chat to me, feel free to shout out. I'm just sat here with my soup looking up publishers.

Daisfunk
X
 :study
#593 - December 26, 2005, 11:54 AM

Kelsey

Big welcome, Daisfunk! :D
Kelsey
#594 - December 26, 2005, 12:21 PM

vitaliy-v

Hello all, I am Vitaliy.  I'm 19, and am an art student, majoring in illustration, now in my second year of college.  I just started writing a novel-length story which i am illustrating as well.  and um.  yeah. if you need someone to illustrate something, here i am.
#595 - December 27, 2005, 05:20 PM

Grendel

Howdy! I was very happy to stumble onto these boards. I've already spent several hours reading older posts and going through transcripts. The amount of information on our craft cataloged here is simply amazing. Keep up the good work.

-Grendel-
#596 - December 27, 2005, 08:57 PM

picturebookwriter

Hi there. My name is Lois, but my nickname is picturebookwriter. I'm glad to be a part of this fine group.

:horse
#597 - December 28, 2005, 08:57 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Hi folks,

I just heard how great Verla Kay's board is so I decided to visit. I'm very impressed with the vibrant energy here so, I now I've joined!  ;D

I look forward to meeting you all. I think this board will be helpful as I work to complete my illustrations for my pb to meet my deadline in June 2006. It's the first picturebook I've sold (I'm a writer/illustrator) and the early headiness and excitement of selling it is gone. Now, I'm in the trenches of painting toward the finish line. Any words of wisdom and encouragment are most welcome.

cheers,
edna

P.S. Here's my site w/ a few illos from my work-in-progress pb, The Sleeping Giant of Kaua'i:  http://www.childrensillustrators.com/illustrator.cgi/ecm
#598 - December 31, 2005, 02:23 PM
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 02:26 PM by ecm »
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

Kelsey

Well, if it isn't my ol' pals Lois and Edna!  Welcome, you two!!!  :yay

And a big welcome to all our new board friends, too!  :hug1:

Kelsey
#599 - January 01, 2006, 07:24 AM

lizlane

We say "Hey" in the South, so hey everybody!  I'm Elizabeth Lane and I'm extremely new to forums, chats, etc. My brother the computer genius finally installed a modem in my computer and brought me into the new century! I write young adult children's novels and finished my first book about three months ago.  Now I'm in that terrible stage of waiting on the opinions of others for my future to begin but we all have to start somewhere!  Cliches are cliches for a reason, so I hope you'll remember in 2006 one of my old favorites...

NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED!
#600 - January 03, 2006, 07:38 AM

Members: