SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

roomom

Hi All;

I am a baby just outta the belly here.  This is my first venture [so new, I haven't even written my thoughts down yet] in the world of children's books.  Looking forward each persons insight, experiance, etc....

Currently running out of gas in the wee hours of the night [it's way past my bedtime] so will keep this short.  Just wanted to say "hello" and excited about  future conversations with each of you.

Meanwhile... grace and peace,

Roomom
 ;)
#61 - September 22, 2003, 08:04 PM

TL

Hello!
I have been working towards publication for about 3 years now. I am a professional illustrator and story artist. I grew up and studied art in Columbus, Ohio at CCAD.
I noticed another post from Columbus-Go Bucks! I have lived in Orlando, Los Angeles, and now live in the Bay Area of California. I have submitted one dummy and manuscript to a publisher and am now working on another. It is great to meet you all.
TL
#62 - September 22, 2003, 10:31 PM

els

howdy ya'll.
 as many of you know, I'm the dungeon mistress at Verla's chat.  I keep folks in line and am generally fun to be around if you like tours of the dungeon.
I write fantasy for adult and YA, and illustrate fantasy and celtic art.
thats me in a nutshell, I suppose.
#63 - September 23, 2003, 07:10 PM

tem2

Hello!  I'm Greg.  You may know me from such chat boards as Verla Kay's Kidlit and such listserves as CW...though not frequently of late.  I've been busy with my day jobs, being an attorney, web designer, realtor, and title insurance agent.  I've also been hard at work on a chapter book series proposal and two midgrades.

Whew!

--tem2
#64 - September 23, 2003, 08:14 PM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 08:16 PM by Verla Kay »

Andrea

Cindy!!! congrats to you!!! I just read through all these posts after so long and saw your messages. How wonderful for you! You are going places!!!Let us know what your book is called so we can check it out- is it the same book you applied for the grant with?  

Congrats again!

:)Andrea
#65 - September 24, 2003, 11:38 AM

Lorraine

whoo boy, am I member #100? :jump  

well, I've just meandered in here and found this inviting site, sooo, howdy to you all.  

I hail from Oregon and have been writing for a long time...now I have to get serious about sending things out instead of letting them dessicate into powder in my drawer  :P  Right now I'm deep into a YA story that is going in circles...lovely circles...but I'm trying to straighten the unruly thing out.  

I have 2 mg manuscripts sitting in said desk drawer that I'm getting ready to send out to agents...I think.  To agent or not...hmm...I've been waffling on this one for a while.

Mini bio: violinist, writer, live with hubby, 2 kids--8 and 16, and various fuzzy animals that require feeding, walking, etc!

It's nice to be here, thanks for the meeting spot, Verla Kay.  :)    

#66 - September 24, 2003, 05:13 PM

MystiqueWriter1

:lov: Greetings Writers:

I am Elaina M. Consiglio in Kidlit Chat or known as MystiqueWriter1 here on the board. I am the  :artist: of my work and creator of rare expressions of my writing through the imaginative pictures of one's mind. Even though I began my writing when I was 15 and flourished greatly in my gift at 21. Two books already have been completed but not yet published and another being written now. For I am learning that patience is a virtue. Even though I enjoy writing YA Fantasy I prefer the imagination of Picture Books.  :paper: On my spare time I work and go to college as well as play computer games or chat.l Though I hope I get to know everyone here and many blessings to all and thanks Verla for this wonderful website.

Elaina
#67 - September 26, 2003, 03:33 PM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 07:37 AM by MystiqueWriter1 »

Cindy

Hi Andrea,

No, the Letter of Merit was for my second novel, which I'm currently rewriting.  My first one is due out sometime in 2004 from Scholastic Press, though I'm not sure when.  My contract says March, but since it hasn't been through copyediting yet, I can't imagine they can keep that date.  It's a MG novel, and the title is RULES.

How are you coming with your novel?  Did it give you a big boost of writing energy to win the grant?  
#68 - September 26, 2003, 05:09 PM

LisaL

Hi  ;D

I am a previous lurker from Michigan who is trying to learn the business.  I have a day job (not writing but I wish).
I enjoy writing pb, chapter books and whatever else pops into my head.

I am excited about this board :typing:
#69 - September 26, 2003, 08:39 PM

Andrea

:party3: That's so exciting, Cindy. Make sure you tell us when they do get it out.

The grant was a huge boost for me- I was on the verge of quitting writing, for now anyway, because I'm pregnant and already have 2 little ones- I started wondering if this is really what I should be doing right now- Am I fooling myself? I was waiting for a letter of merit to be my "sign," but now that i have the grant, I can actually afford a sitter and get some writing done!!

Plus, I feel like i can tell people I am a writer. You tell them someone gave you money, and they're like, "Oh, wow."  :o the non writers in my life are starting to take me seriously. :)

#70 - September 27, 2003, 06:52 AM

HarleyGirl

Hello all.
I also frequent the Yellow Board, tho I go by a diff. username over there.  I thought I'd change it up just to keep things interesting.
I also live in the midwest.  I am a transplant from the Sunshine State...golly, I miss the beach!!
I am a mother of 2 wonderful teenage boys, a full-time employee in a local office and an aspiring writer.  At this time, I am working on my first YA.

P.S.  For those of you wondering...I really do ride a Harley!!   8)   ...my very own!
#71 - September 29, 2003, 12:20 PM

aimela

I found out about this website very recently through an article in Writer's Market. I've written and illustrated my 1st children's book and will be sending it off to publishers. I have many questions and have found the people on this website to be very helpful.
#72 - September 29, 2003, 10:36 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hey, do you remember what article it was and which issue of the magazine it was in, Aimela? :reading2: I'd love to know!  :jump
#73 - September 29, 2003, 11:02 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Cateyes59

Hi everyone!
I'm a lurker from way back but there was something about this board that struck a chord with me and made me want to say hello.
My name is Cathy and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I work as a desktop publisher for the Canadian government and have 2 young sons. I just adore childrens' writing and am presently working on a young adult novel for the advanced ICL course. I also like to write short stories.  
I enjoy getting to know other writers and sharing thoughts about writing and life in general. All the best to everyone! This looks like a terrific board.

Cathy
#74 - October 03, 2003, 11:34 AM

MamaG

http://
Hi there.  My name is Jodi, I am new to writing as well as to this site.  I am at a geographic disadvantage because of my distance to any resources other than a public library! I rely heavily on the internet and have actually read many transcripts from V.K.'s live chats.

I am an RN and mother of two children and an obnoxious labrador...and I hope I did this right!  
#75 - October 08, 2003, 02:44 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
You got it right except for the icon/picture in your profile, Jodi.

Welcome!   :girl

To fix the picture, you need to correct the URL in your profile.  Right now it's pointing to Google, not an image.  :-)
#76 - October 08, 2003, 04:25 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

KayJ

Hi, Everyone!

This is my first time ever to jump in any chat board. So I have a goal to not be a lurker!

For the last 20 years or so, I've been an elementary classroom teacher both in the US and abroad. But, this year, with extraordinary support from my husband and son, I am starting my new career as a writer!

So far I have written a newspaper tabloid insert and science passages and questions for a software company. I've just finished the EZ Reader workshop with Anastasia Suen and completed a nonfiction manuscript for early readers.

I'm looking forward to this experience!
#77 - October 10, 2003, 03:43 PM

Lilli

Welcome!  This is a great place. Glad you found it.

#78 - October 10, 2003, 05:05 PM

HarleyGirl

:)  Welcome!  I know you will have fun here! ;D
#79 - October 10, 2003, 07:50 PM

Andrea

Welcome welcome welcome, everyone!!!

#80 - October 10, 2003, 08:02 PM

:balloongroup:

Hey there, hi there, late to the party as usual.

I've been lurking and warming up to get rid of new-board-ophobia.  But now I'm here!

For those that don't know me from Yellow board, I'm the mostly epublished gal with stuff on StoryPlus.com, Childrenzbooks, KidsZip, WeeOnesMag, etc and so forth.  

(Pam's my good crit buddy and she keeps wanting me to list everything but that's just so boring.)  Suffice it to say, I'm still somewhat a newbie seeking out that elusive paper publication thing (that's my own thing - not ghosting or rewriting).  But hey, the internet has been fun fun fun.

See ya round the boards.  (Now I have three to check.  Aack!  It's all your fault, Verla!) ;)
#81 - October 15, 2003, 02:04 PM
Ghosts In the Night - Schoolwide 2015
Minnie's Green Book - MeeGenius 2014
Mossy Marsha - Amazon
Blog: www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Hi Everyone,

I'm Ellen Jackson.  I've written and published 51 fiction and nonfiction books for kids. (Whoops!  Make that 50--one was a pet grooming manual for adults.)  I've occasionally posted on other message boards--mostly the SCBWI board and Write4Kids.  My best-known book is CINDER EDNA.

I have a webpage featuring articles and a contest for writers.  The articles are intended to help new and/or discouraged writers.  Come visit!

I'm currently working on a nonfiction book about the solar system.  I'm also busy promoting my two newest books:  IT'S BACK TO SCHOOL WE GO! and MY TOUR OF EUROPE BY TEDDY ROOSEVELT, AGE 10.  Actually TR and I wrote that last one together.

Hope to get to know some of you better!

Ellen Jackson
www.ellenjackson.net

#82 - October 17, 2003, 08:36 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Jaina

Hope to get to know some of you better!

Ellen Jackson

I'm not sure I'm one of the ones you want to get to know better  ;) , but I wanted to say Welcome!  And ask-- do you like being called Ellen or should we call you Betsy?

Susan, who is known 'round here as "Jaina" (and probably a few other names, but they don't say them in front of me :x )
#83 - October 17, 2003, 09:04 PM

Lorraine

Welcome Ellen!

I took a peek at your website--wow--so much to see.  :)
#84 - October 18, 2003, 08:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
This is my first post.  I have so much to learn and so little time!  Haven't been into chat for a LONG time, but recognize some of you from there and some from the yellow board.

My name is Lisa Schroeder and I write mostly PBs although have a MG and a chapter book in progress too.
I see a couple other people from Oregon - Myra and Lorraine!  I am in Oregon also.  I have 2 boys, a husband, a cat and a new puppy named Stormy.

I'll start checking here when I can and joining in on the fun!

Lisa
#85 - October 21, 2003, 11:58 AM
The Bridge From Me to You, Scholastic
plus five other YA novels
It's Raining Cupcakes trilogy
Charmed Life series
http://www.lisaschroederbooks.com

ToniBME

;D ::) :P

Hello everyone.  I am new to this site.  Found it today and am so very glad I did.  

I have three kids and always on the brink of sanity.  I live in Illinois - not Chicago - small town about 3-4 hours from that CITY - Chicago is not a state as many people seem to think when I say I live in Illinois.   I have just started to take writing seriously.  Discipline is the demon I am fighting.  

These boards are a salvation.

SO HELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!~.
Glad to be here.
Laughter and Giggles,
Toni
#86 - October 22, 2003, 11:48 AM

As the original poster (and I am NOT going to say 'big poster!  ;D ) of this thread, I want to extend a huge

WELCOME! [/size]

to everyone! This is a helpful, informative, educational, and very friendly board! I'm happy you found us!

Donna J.  :angel
#87 - October 22, 2003, 11:59 AM

tem2

Thanks Donna, but you didn't say how often we should Re:Introduce ourselves.  Since there are new members joining, maybe we should have Re:Introductions every week or two so everyone knows who we are.

--tem2
#88 - October 22, 2003, 12:33 PM

Lorraine

Welcome everyone!

Glad to see another Oregonian, LisaS!

#89 - October 22, 2003, 09:52 PM

Rose

Hi, I recently found this site, and I'm glad.  It's just what I need--something for both the published and unpublished, the writer and the illustrator (or both).  Already I've learned things.

I currently live in South Carolina, but have lived oh, in a lot of places--New Jersey, Arkansas, Texas, Utah, California, Germany (my husband is a German professor), Chile, Illinois....  So, I don't know where I'm really "from," but all the places give me ideas for writing, so I guess that's good.

As to writing, I've always wanted to be a writer.  In the meantime I've done editing and illustrating for a university independent study program, taught ESL (English as a Second Language), and also college-level Spanish.  Right now I am a full-time mom with a kindergartner and a 3 and almost 2-year old.  LOTS of fodder for picture books, but finding an uninterrupted period of time to do it is difficult, to say the least.  (The natives don't sleep.  EVER.)  YA is my real goal, but so far it's more practical (possible?) to work on shorter stuff.  Not that you don't have to work just as hard, but after the initial draft is done, I can revise in small units of time all split up.  Longer fic just seems to require great, sweeping periods of time (or at least an hour that doesn't also include toddler conversation).  I've just started sending things out, and gotten my first form rejection.  (Henry Holt is pretty fast--about a month--in case you are wondering.)  Still waiting on some other pb manuscripts.  So far I'm just sending text, but I really would like to be a writer/illustrator--it just seems that those kind of books just work better (from the reader's point of view--I realize it can be a hairy issue for submissions).  Thanks for the site!
#90 - October 23, 2003, 07:34 AM

Members: