SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Welcome, Elizabeth! I'm new here too. Best wishes to you on your new publishing adventure!
 :) Edna
#601 - January 03, 2006, 09:25 AM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

Margherita

Hello.  I am (obviously) a brand-new member to the board -- however, I have been "lurking" for about a year.  Thanks for having me!
#602 - January 03, 2006, 09:43 PM

Kelsey

Welcome, Margherita!  Very interesting icon--what's the story behind it?  :girl
Kelsey
#603 - January 04, 2006, 07:24 AM

Paulahy

Uh duh!  I joined about a week or two ago and wondered where the generic intro area was.  I'm just finding it!!! :'(  I think I've already introed myself on another topic before I jumped in and gave my two cents. :momkid:

But again - Hi, I'm Paula. 

I've been writing creatively for a long time, professionally for 14 years (PR, Marketing and business writing...very boooorrrinnggg).  I started freelancing three years ago and have contributed to mags like Sweet 16, Girls Life, Upscale, Black Elegance and Baltimore Magazine.

I wrote my first mss three years ago, tweaked it over that time and secured an agent in August of '05.  She began shopping my first mss around in October and I'm still waiting on a buy.  I have three finished mss and am plotting out the fourth.

I'm hoping that '06 is the year I not only get my foot in the door but break it down!

Love the forum and am having a great time reading and posting.

Paula
w/a Paula Chase and P.C. Hyman

www.thatclique.com

#604 - January 04, 2006, 07:54 AM

Margherita

LOL, Kelsey!  It's a photograph of Alphonse Mucha.  I'm a big fan and thought it would be fun to have him as my avatar for awhile (maybe the talent will rub off -- ha ha).
#605 - January 04, 2006, 08:11 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hi!  I've been here before, but didn't think to register -- oops.  But I love the information, and it's good to see some friends here :D
 Robin
#606 - January 05, 2006, 06:08 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

inner_child

:writing3: I am new to this forum. I have always created many stories, but it's just hard for me to put them on paper. I hope this forum helps me out in creating my own childrens book.
#607 - January 13, 2006, 11:40 AM

Hey. I found a link to this site on Dia Cornier's blog and thought I;d check it out.  The section on publisher's response times was very helpful because I've got a YA novel out there, and I've been curious if everyone is waiting as long for responses. I write YAs and MGs and assorted non-fiction stuff. 

David Gill
#608 - January 14, 2006, 09:40 PM
SHDAOW ON THETHE SUN, 2013
INVISIBLE SUN, 2012
BLACK HOLE SUN, 2010
SOUL ENCHILADA
Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins
http://www.davidmacinnisgill.com

ritajr

It's great to see so many new people on the boards. Welcome!
#609 - January 15, 2006, 09:28 AM

BoiseMichelle

Just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself.  I'm a newbie writer...looking forward to reading all your informative posts.  :)
Michelle
#610 - January 17, 2006, 09:53 AM
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:01 AM by BoiseMichelle »

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the blue board.  I go by Idaho_Laurie on some other boards....

Laurie (in Moscow)
#611 - January 17, 2006, 01:18 PM

lydap

I'm also new to this board and just realized there was an Introduce Yourself section. I am a juvenile fiction writer and screenwriter. Live in Silver Spring, Maryland. I'm a journalist by trade but have also been writing fiction most of my life. My rejections letters have gotten really good.
#612 - January 17, 2006, 01:23 PM

Z-cat

Hello!
I am a longtime writer who has recently gotten up the courage to finally start sub'ing.
After completing my BA in fine art, I am currently a stay-at-home mom of a one year old.
I have several MG novels in progress (one potential trilogy) and I am currently sub'ing short fiction
to magazines, and writing/illutrating a lot of PBs.

Best wishes for everyone. This seems like such a wonderful place to network, brainstorm, and just generally chat about the publishing industry with other like-minded souls!

#613 - January 19, 2006, 08:10 PM

Athena529

Hi, everyone. I live in South Carolina. I wrote mainly short stories for years but finally finished my first YA novel in November. I am working on a second book now, when I'm not busy with my two boys (both of whom are in diapers). Very pleased to be here- there is a wealth of information and I seem to learn something new each time I log on!
#614 - January 21, 2006, 03:18 PM
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:37 AM by Athena529 »

Kelsey

Welcome to all the new members!!!  :balloongroup:

And note to Margherita: Art Nouveau ROCKS!!!

Kelsey
#615 - January 21, 2006, 04:42 PM

schmara

Wow! A place to introduce myself - imagine that! I've been on the board for a week or two and just realized this one was here. My name is Sarah and I'm just starting out writing for children. I plan on subbing a pb this week and then waiting 3-8 months for my form rejection so I can sub it out again. Writing while I'm waiting, of course. From what I've gathered, that's how it goes, right? I have a two year old girl who acts just like a two year old and I'm expecting a new baby boy in three months. Maybe I'll end up with a rejection and an addition in the same week! Meanwhile, I'm tired and achy and write when I can, but mostly I think I just stall by reading Verla's boards! Well, gotta go check on those book awards today!

schmara
#616 - January 23, 2006, 06:46 AM

Wendy

Hello everyone.

My name is Wendy Toliver, and I live in a little mountain town called Eden, Utah. I started out writing nonfiction, with several travel articles, "coffee table" how to and decorating books under my belt. I authored The Little Giant Encyclopedia of Wedding Etiquette and compiled The Little Giant Encyclopedia of Inspirational Quotes. Two years ago, I wrote my first book, a chick lit, and lately I finished my first YA. I haven't been pubbed in fiction ... yet. I'm glad to be part of this popular and active board and have already learned a ton from all of you. Thanks!

Wendy Toliver
#617 - January 23, 2006, 07:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Hello!

I'm an urban Yankee (Cleveland, Minneapolis, Manhattan, Pittsburgh) recently transplanted to the Durham-Chapel Hill-Raleigh area in the middle of North Carolina. (And still feeling some root damage, as I had to tear myself out of my superb Pittsburgh writers' group, from which I received weekly doses of technical support and loving friendship.) (We still connect by email, but it's not the same.)

I trained in journalism and theater, and supported my early (unpaid) theater work by writing press releases, program notes, and school study guides for arts organizations. Then came a long spell during which it was possible to earn a good living acting, directing, and playwriting in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh was a film production center at the time, and I got my Kevin Bacon number through roles in movies like Houseguest, Lorenzo's Oil, and bunches of TV movies, episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, and the like.

During times of less performance work, I'd write genre novels, for fun. The film industry began to withdraw from Pittsburgh, and I concentrated more and more on the novels. Was told by an editor that my historical romance read like YA. I didn't at the time know what YA meant. Decided to find out; joined SCBWI and found my beloved Group.

I'm writing nearlyfull-time now. Haven't published that YA yet, but it went to editorial meeting before being rejected. I've had about a dozen plays published and/or produced, and received a PA Arts Council creative writing fellowship in '02.

Met some of the Blue Boarders at the last Rutger's One on One Plus, and find the Board helpful and interesting, as they promised it would be.

Good words to all!

Susan Chapek

#618 - January 24, 2006, 07:09 AM

Kelsey

Welcome, Sarah, Wendy, and Susan!  :jump
Kelsey
#619 - January 24, 2006, 08:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Susan!!!  You're THAT Susan!  Says, Cynthia, who moved to Pittsburgh right after Susan left (hmmm, maybe she heard I was coming), but we're members of the same critique group, just not at the same time.  And how come I never heard about the KB connection?

Susan is a WONDERFUL writer. 

Welcome Susan and everyone else!

Go Steelers!
#620 - January 24, 2006, 10:35 AM
http://rt19writers.blogspot.com/
AMAZING KITCHEN CHEMISTRY (Nomad 2008)
EXPLORE ROCKS AND MINERALS (Nomad 2009)
MAPPING AND NAVIGATION (Nomad 2013)

Katiba

Hey Susan,

Have you found a YA group in the Raleigh-Durham area?  I just moved to this area too and I would love to find some kind of local group, especially one focused on YA.  I take writing very seriously, write everyday and - hooray! - just sold my first book.  I don't post here that often, but I do lurk a lot.

Paula
#621 - January 24, 2006, 11:06 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Katiba--
This is such good news! I've found a couple of groups in the Triangle area, but they were either filled up and closed, or didn't focus on any kind of kidlit. I'm going to contact you separately by email, and inquire on a new thread to see if there are any more Groupless Ones in our territory.

Cynthia--Yes, 'tis I.

Everybody--Cynthia took over "my place" in our critique group, or so I like to think--and though I've only read a couple of her pieces, her work is terrific. The rest of the group is thrilled to have her. Plus she has cute kids.

Um, I haven't been paying attention, but I gather the Steelers are doing all right?   :evil:
#622 - January 25, 2006, 07:51 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Thunk!

Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick.
#623 - January 25, 2006, 10:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Those were the sounds of Cynthia crashing to the floor, followed by her dog trying to revive her.

Yes, the Steelers are doing all right.
#624 - January 25, 2006, 10:16 AM

linda s.

Hi, I just discovered this board yesterday and I think it's terrific. I write non fiction history and after finishing my second book I finally feel like I can really call myself one and would like to find others who feel the same. I'm going to my first conference in NY next weekend and I'm really nervous about it. Is anyone else going and feeling terrified at the thought of trying to socialize in a large group of complete strangers?(not that I'm not taking a positive approach to the new experience  ;D).
#625 - January 29, 2006, 07:00 AM

Hi, Linda S....  I'm going to the NY conference and some others here are, too.  It'll be my first conference, and yes, I am nervous!  Especially since I'm young with a tendency toward shyness!  But I'm going to try to really get as much out of it as I can.  I think we're putting a blue edge around our badges so we can identify other people from the boards.
#626 - January 29, 2006, 07:14 AM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

linda s.

Thanks, lifeonmars. Do you know why it's called the blue boards? I see people referring to it that way but I can't find an explanation. The blue border on the name tags seems like a nice idea!

Linda
#627 - January 29, 2006, 08:37 AM

I'm guessing it's because the borders and buttons are blue?  Either that, or the boards used to be blue and then changed color?
#628 - January 29, 2006, 06:58 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Tatsuro

Hello, my name is Tatsuro.  I live in Japan. 
English is my second language but I write stories, because I like English and writing stories.
I just dropped by this site yesterday and found it great.  A lot of writers are here to talk with.
I'm writing two stories.  I write so slow though, I'm trying to finish a scary story in the near future.
I'm excited to learn lots of things from here and meet hundreds of writers.

Tatsuro
#629 - January 30, 2006, 05:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Welcome, Tatsuro!

I write slowly, too, and English is my FIRST language. I'm also working on a scary story now, so we have two things in common.

Are your stories full-length books, or short stories?

Susan
#630 - January 30, 2006, 04:19 PM

Members: