SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

GreenBeans

Hi all,

Love the board, I'm a newbie, but have been a lurker for a while. It will sure take me some time to find my way around--but there is so much info here! It's great.

Anyway, I'm Jeanie, from California and am also known as GreenBeans.  :jump (Okay, that looks like a jumping green pea, but it's the closest I could find. You get the idea)

I have two mss. completed--one is historical non-fiction and the other comtemporary MG. I have a bunch of really nice rejection letters to show for them so far. I genre hop and like a lot of different kinds of writing. I've done some free-lance magazine work, and also for Highlights. (yay) I have more ideas than hours in the day and some of those great ideas strike at odd hours like--3 am. I also like to write smart-alecky essays about things that bug me.

I'm looking forward to being here as often as I can.

GreenBeans
#631 - January 31, 2006, 06:07 AM

sameyers

Hello.  I'm Susan, a writer from Oklahoma.  I live with my hubby, son, and our semi-new (and thankfully not-so-leaky anymore) puppy. 
I've had several short children's stories published.  In August of last year, my first book, Callie and the Stepmother, was published.  It's an early chapter book.
I look forward to getting to know all of you.

God bless,
Susan
#632 - January 31, 2006, 06:13 PM

g97

Hi everyone! I was a member here (under a different username, which, for the life of me, I can't remember now!) for a very short time a couple years ago, and then I let life get in the way. I know, shame on me! Well, I'm back into the world of sending out subs, etc., so I'm looking forward to checking out the boards and catching up!
#633 - February 09, 2006, 01:31 PM

FunnyHoney

Hi! My name is Jaime. I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I just found the board about an hour ago... I am so excited!
My cousin and I have been have 3 WIP's - we are both going to school to teach 4th or 5th grade... and that's the age level we want to write for. 

I have two children, Isabel (she'll be 7 in April) and a Alex (10).

I look forward to getting to know all of you! :)

Jaime
#634 - February 12, 2006, 04:31 PM

Poster Plus
Hi. My name is Kristin. And I'm a lurker. ("Hi Kristin!"). I'm here to overcome my lurkiness. The first step is admitting I have a problem. Okay, I love to lurk, I admit it. There. But you all are so supportive and friendly that I can't resist coming out of my cyber-shell a little bit. Plus, I'm fostering a new addiction to posting...

Seriously, I love these boards. There is SO much helpful information and comraderie. It makes to bleak mid-western winters a little less lonely! Not less cold, though. Unless I warm my hands over the heat-vent fan on the back of the computer.

Cheers to all.

-Kristin
#635 - February 15, 2006, 10:03 AM
Kristin Walker
A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL  (Razorbill, Feb. 2010)
7 CLUES TO WINNING YOU (Razorbill, Apr. 2012)

Storyteller5

Hey!

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted here yet. Oops!

I'm Meg from the Canadian Prairies. I've been writing for most of my life. I'm married (four years in March) and have a son (two years old in April). I didn't go back to work after my son was born and I've gotten far more serious about my writing over the past year. I don't say someday I want to be published. I say I will be published and I'm working on it.

Earlier this week, I got my second rejection letter for a PB but it came with really glowing personal comments so I'm encouraged by that. It went out again the next morning. This story is the first of mine I've sent out. I've got a second story I want to get out making the round by the end of the month. It's ready but I need to find some suitable publishers. I'm also writing an adult novel (chick lit) and have about  75k words. It's been a huge learning experience.

So that's where I am! I'd love to find a crit group but haven't got one yet! :)
#636 - February 15, 2006, 01:22 PM

FunnyHoney

Hi, Meg! I understand about a critique group. I am working on a MG and a ChickLit... maybe we could meet up! ;) (Obviously not in person, Canada's too far!) :P

Congrats on submitting your PB... what a hurdle! :)
#637 - February 16, 2006, 10:41 AM

justJoan

Hello! I'm Joan from Arizona. I've looked around a bit and love what I see on this site!

I don't have anything published yet, but hope to submit my novel to an editor soon. I've been working on it for nearly three years and I think it's about where I want it! FINALLY!!

I spend my non-writing time looking after my four children (ages 12, 6, 4 and 2) and cleaning up the messes they make through the house!  ;)

I look forward to getting to know everyone better. Keep writing! :writing3:
#638 - February 27, 2006, 11:41 AM
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:44 AM by just Joan »

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hey, Joan...this is Robin from the SCBWI boards -- nice to have you here too :)
#639 - February 27, 2006, 12:47 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

justJoan

HI Robin! And I wasn't sure if I'd find anyone I knew here!  :momkid:

Thanks for the greeting!  :yup
#640 - February 28, 2006, 08:58 AM

smwilliams

Hello everyone, I'm S. M. First name is Shlynda but for some reason S.M seems to be what everyone is able to remember. I an new to the writing world and love fantasy fiction. One of the first pieces of advice I received was write what you love and I don't think I could write anything else. I'm a homemaker and spend my non-writing moments being taxi for my 11 year old son and trombone extraordinaire and 4 year old autistic and precious little girl!

I am craving advice and tips from you vets out there! I'm venturing into this with the full knowledge of how difficult the industry is and virtually impossible it's going to be to get published. But I love this and it brings just a little more satisfaction to my hectic life. I'm here in Dallas and current member of SCBWI, so any members close by please drop me any information about events or groups in the area. Thanks!
#641 - March 01, 2006, 03:14 PM

jennakay

I just joined this board today although I've been scanning it for a little while. Looks like a lot of useful information and great people! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon. I write fantasy fiction of all kinds - adventure, sweet romance, dark romance. I also write picture books. I publish with a small press in Australia (Writers Exchange Epublishing) and also do editing work for them. I have 9 books out through them at the moment. Anyway, glad to be here and hope to connect and learn a lot

Jenna
#642 - March 10, 2006, 08:34 AM

Marellen

Hi, I'm brand new, as of 30 min. ago...also new to CW!  Just beginning the journey....
Has anyone got any ideas about self publishing?  Like BookSurge?  Actually I don't know where to step next...anyone been here?
I've purchased several "how to" books about writing/illus. & I guess the best thing to do is follow that advice.  I just feel like a friendly hand guiding me would be a life saver.
Any advice for a very fresh, newborn?  1st manuscript done...rewritten....etc.  Now what?
I will gladly send any form of food to anyone with an idea or advice :-)
Thanks, Marellen
#643 - March 10, 2006, 10:41 AM

wicked

pray to your god or goddess of choice... and join a crit group.  ;D
Good Luck
Sondra
#644 - March 15, 2006, 02:14 PM

justJoan

Keep learning and perfecting your craft. Read boards relating to childrens writing (you're doing that now!), join writing groups (SCBWI, etc.), and enjoy what you write. If you don't enjoy it, you can't expect others to. And look into all the different options for publishing before you decide on one.

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of writing for children!  :moose
#645 - March 17, 2006, 07:50 AM

The constant gardener
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi,
I've been a lurker and an occasional poster, but decided to get a ID and pic. I just finished an MG mystery novel and am looking for an agent or editor (whoever will take me!).
Nice to meet you all!
#646 - March 21, 2006, 12:21 PM

justJoan

I just finished an MG mystery novel and am looking for an agent or editor (whoever will take me!).

Ah, I think many of us are looking for agents or editors for our work.  ;) Let us know about your progress! I look forward to hearing that you've found and editor or agent and have a publication date set for your novel!

Break a pencil!
Break a finger?
Break a computer?
(I know that in theater they say break a leg for luck, but I can't think of what writers say . . . sorry)  ;D
#647 - March 23, 2006, 11:08 AM

julbud6

Hello.

My name is Julie and I'm brand new to the children's writing biz. I've pretty much been writing educational curriculum for a corporation, and I feel creatively destitute!

I'm a relatively new mom. (My son turns 1 in 2 weeks. YIKES!)

I taught elementary school for about 4 years after working in the non-profit field at museums and theatres for a while and stored up all kinds of ideas. Now that I'm home with my son, I've devoted nap time to getting them down on paper. I am trying to get an agent for a non-fiction picture book I've just completed.

According to most people on the net and in books, I'm insane. I like to write in rhyme. I enjoy the musical rhythm of it - probably from my theatre background. We'll see where it takes me - especially within the context of a non-fiction picture book. Does anyone have any experience submitting rhymed manuscripts?

Oh well. I'm ready for the roller coaster, and I'm about to start my second manuscript.

Just wanted to say hi. I feel kind of isolated at home all day, and it's nice to read what other people are doing.

Julie
#648 - March 29, 2006, 02:30 PM

justJoan

I don't have any experience with rhyming books (other than reading them), but I wanted to say welcome aboard . . . or welcome to the boards.  ;) Ah, nap time, I sure do miss those days! My youngest is 2 and refuses to nap anymore!  :banghead:

Anyway, once again, welcome!
#649 - March 29, 2006, 04:38 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome, Julie!  Sounds like you've had lots of experiences to give you a wonderful background for writing children's books.  I know of at least one person on this board who's gotten rhymed pbs accepted and there are probably others, so this is a good place to hang out.

Best wishes to you,
Ev
#650 - March 29, 2006, 06:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Julie,

I've just come from a Librarians conference in Boston (PLA).  Plenty of publishers had rhyming PB's out to show, even the non-fiction ones.
Sylvan Dell comes to mind . . .

I believe that if it's done correctly, it will sell. Welcome to the world of children's writing!

#651 - March 30, 2006, 08:43 AM
Cooper and Packrat Series  Islandport Press
   Mystery on Pine Lake 8/2013
   Mystery of the Eagle's Nest 8/14

Greetings and salutations!  ;D (My word, that's a mighty impressive collection of smilies you have here.  :sing: )

I just discovered this place a few days ago, while looking for a forum where I could discuss some of the writing projects I'm working on now as well as some I may have planned for the future.

I don't know where new members usually introduce themselves on here, but I figure the "Other Stuff" forum is as good a place as any. Suffice it to say that I live in Omaha, and I'm currently working with my father.

As for writing projects, my dad and I have been working on some 10-12 kids' books along the lines of another "Curious George"- or "Clifford, the Big, Red Dog"-type series. Plus, I've recently thought about re-working a story I wrote in college and submitting it to CICADA magazine; once I get down to it, I may ask you guys for some input or advice... (Later on, I would also like to do a young-adult novel about two sisters.)

I guess that's it for now, but I look forward to getting to know some of you folks.  :typing:
#652 - April 01, 2006, 09:38 AM
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:59 PM by G.R. »
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome! I hope you enjoy the board.

I moved your post to this area with the others...

Shirley
#653 - April 01, 2006, 09:44 AM
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:46 AM by ShirleyH »
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Thank you, thank you! :)
#654 - April 01, 2006, 09:54 AM

justJoan

Welcome G. R.! It's good to have a place to discuss writing with other writers. You'll get lots of help and advice here, and yes, the smilies here are amazing!   :yup
#655 - April 01, 2006, 10:37 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi and welcome, G.R.!

It's all a nefarious plot, you know. First we win you over with the irresistible smilies. The  next thing you know, you're addicted to this place.  ;D
#656 - April 01, 2006, 11:09 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

:laugh:

Thanks for the welcomes, Joan and Owl.  ;D
#657 - April 01, 2006, 01:36 PM

justJoan

It's all a nefarious plot, you know. First we win you over with the irresistible smilies. The  next thing you know, you're addicted to this place.  ;D

Oh, if only you were joking! I have not been here for long, and already I have become addicted . . . *sigh* Those smilies are potent!  :yup

Must resist . . . must resist . . . WAIT, It's too late, I'm already here . . . :banghead:

I'll resist temptation better next time . . .   :eh: well, maybe . . . :laugh:
#658 - April 01, 2006, 03:29 PM

Kelly223

Hi all :)  My name is Kelly and I am new to this site.  As of how, writing is just a hobby for me,  but I would love for it to be a full time job someday.  I have all kinds of great ideas and I am trying to find the free time to actually write down those ideas lol.   I hope to get to know all of you on here :)           
#659 - April 02, 2006, 12:31 AM

Hi there! I'm new to the board myself. :)
#660 - April 02, 2006, 01:35 PM

Members: