SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

justJoan

Welcome Kelly! Maybe you should start carrying a voice recorder so you can record your ideas and then write them down at another time.  ;D Then you won't have to worry about forgetting those great ideas!
#661 - April 02, 2006, 06:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while, but decided it was time to leap in. I've been writing for a few years, have published mostly poetry and short fiction (not for kids, though), and am just now waiting with fingers crossed on a mid-grade ms that's gone to an acquisitions meeting. I'm working on another mg, along with the usual poems and bits and pieces. I LOVE picture books, but haven't managed to sell one yet. So that's me, in a very small nutshell. Oh, and I live in Australia. This site has been a great resource for me when sending stuff to the US, so thanks Verla and all of you for being so generous in sharing information. Hope to see you all around the board some.

Megan
#662 - April 04, 2006, 06:22 AM

justJoan

Welcome Megan, and congratulations on your MG MS! :dancing: Is that acquisitions meeting in the US or in Austrialia? Is the MS with an agent or publisher? both? Let us know how it turns out.  ;D

#663 - April 04, 2006, 10:11 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome Megan, and congratulations on your MG MS! :dancing: Is that acquisitions meeting in the US or in Austrialia? Is the MS with an agent or publisher? both? Let us know how it turns out.  ;D

Thanks, Joan. It's in Australia, and with a publisher (was pulled out of the dreaded slush). The ms is also with a US publisher who requested the full about six months ago.  I should know something in a few days.  I'm trying to put it out of my mind and focus on my wip (because I've been here before and ended up with a rejection), but it's hard, the waitingwaitingwaiting aspect of this business. You'll probably hear from me in Good News or That Stinks! sometime soon!
#664 - April 04, 2006, 08:45 PM

justJoan

Well, lets hope it's the Good News section and not the That Stinks section!  ;D Best of luck!  :yay
#665 - April 05, 2006, 05:55 PM

grandmabubbles

Hello everyone my name is Pam aka GRANDMABUBBLES and if all goes well before my life ends, many I hope will know me by GRANDMABUBBLES. :bubblebath
I have been writing :writing3: since I was a teenager, so for those who understand, that means I am a lot older now and for those who don't this will clarify.
I am a wife, mother of 3 ( 2 boys & 1 girl ) , and grandmother of 6 GRANDDAUGHTERS. Life is GOOD  :dancing:
I hope to get to know some of you better
and help each other with what we love to do   : :writing3::

Pamela C Milligan
grandmabubblespen@yahoo.com
#666 - April 07, 2006, 06:47 PM

justJoan

WooHoo!! Way to go Grandmabubbles!!! Welcome to the boards! I'm sure those granddaughters help keep you young!  ;) If you don't mind my asking, what is the age difference between the oldest and youngest granddaughters? What genre(s) do you write? And, just out of curiosity, why Grandmabubbles? Is there a story behind that name? It's intriguing!

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the big blue boards! (for those of you with young kids, you may recognize that slightly altered phrase from Bear in the Big Blue House ;D:yup
#667 - April 07, 2006, 07:09 PM

Jennie_1551

Uh oh... I just noticed this section and I've been yakking on these boards for three days now, using up everyone's brain power and so on, so maybe I should say hello.

I'm focusing on writing for young adults. Thanks, Verla for having such a fantastic board! I felt funny when I found it, sort of like how could I have missed all this for so long??
#668 - April 12, 2006, 02:08 PM

HeatherBrewer

Hello! I'm Heather. Ummm...let's see...I'm the author of a soon-to-be-popular series called "The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod" that just sold to Dutton/Penguin. The first book is called "Eighth Grade Bites". It's about a teenage vampire and..well...here's a look into Vlad's world:

If you thought eighth grade was tough, try it with fangs and a fear of garlic. 

Junior high school really sucks for fourteen-year-old Vladimir Tod, and not in the good slurp-up-the-blood kind of way. A gang of bullies harasses him daily, the principal is dogging his every move, and the girl he really likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has to hide the fact that he's a vampire.

When the one teacher he really connects with mysteriously vanishes, Vlad is determined to find him. But then Vlad finds an unsettling note scribbled across his essay: “I know your secret.” 

Vlad must locate his missing teacher, dodge the principal, resist the bullies’ tempting invitations to Bite me!, and get a date for the dance—all before he is exposed for the teen vampire he is.
__

Anyhoo, this is me *waves* And I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!
#669 - April 17, 2006, 12:15 PM

logophile78

Hi everyone. My name is Emmi. I just found your boards today and I'm hoping to get some good advice from people who have experience in the kid lit world.

I'm 27 (28 next week) and I have an 11-month-old daughter. I'm American but am currently living in Canada. I have written only one manuscript so far and I'm hoping to find a legitimate agency who will accept it.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

:)
#670 - April 17, 2006, 05:02 PM

Jennie, Heather, and Emmi -- welcome to the board! :)

#671 - April 18, 2006, 06:39 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
OK, now that I've succombed to posting (I only held out for so long because I really didn't "need" another reason to do something on the PC other than write my novels, but I've stolen so much info from reading this board in the past few months, I thought it was only fair to share what I've learned), I should post in this thread.  Not too much to say for now except that I've "finished" 2 YA and 1 upper-MG mss, and am working on my 3rd YA.  Thanks for everyone's help via this board in getting me this far!
#672 - April 18, 2006, 07:08 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

HeatherBrewer

Jennie, Heather, and Emmi -- welcome to the board! :)

Thanks, GR!
#673 - April 19, 2006, 04:56 AM

CindyR

Hello Everyone!  :books:

I'm Cindy--a former librarian who quit my day job to see if I could make it as a children's writer. I've had some magazine articles/stories published so far, and now have a MG fantasy being considered by an agent. My educational picture book, KITTY KERPLUNKING, is available as an ebook and soon in print as well. I'm active in SCBWI and a couple local writers' groups, but I'm a total newbie here and don't know any of the tricks yet. But I bet I can learn a bunch with help.  :)

As for my age, let's just say the latest 70's fashion revival seems a bit of deja vous for me. But I still pride myself on being able to wear a pair of hip-huggers with the best of them.  :sing: I am a mid-west girl through and through and love big blue skies and lots of sunshine. You can find out more about me if you'd like at my new website: www.cynthiareeg.com.

Thanks, Verla, for a wonderful website.  And I'm looking forward to making some friendly connections here. Write On!  :writing3:
#674 - April 19, 2006, 05:56 PM

Wordaholic
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Everybody!

I'm Karen, a YA fantasy writer from western Washington. I'm currently in the querying trenches and think I'm quite close to getting an agent. Some of you from SCBWI might know me as KarenLK, and that my age is shockingly juvenile. ;)

Karen
(gosh, I've only been here for a few days and I've racked up 55 posts...)
#675 - April 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

justJoan

Welcome Jennie, Heather, Emmi, Cindy and Karen! Whew, did I get everyone?  ;D

And a big howdy to my fellow SCBWIer, Karen!  :yup
#676 - April 21, 2006, 12:14 PM

Welcome to the board, Karen.  I live in Western Washington, too.  Whereabouts do you live here?
#677 - April 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
THE LAST DOGS (as Christopher Holt) - Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
DEVIANTS - Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins

http://jeffsampsonbooks.com

Wordaholic
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
Howdy, Joan!  :)

Jeff_S, I live just outside of Snohomish, in the country. Where are you?

Karen
#678 - April 21, 2006, 01:18 PM
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

Hi. I'm Brenda and I've been lurking for a few days now. (  :jump Waving to Heather Brewer!) I write both Adult and YA fiction which I'm shopping to agents as I type. No luck yet but I'm still ever optimistic as I have 1 full out for the Adult piece and 1 full and 1 partial out for the YA piece.

My publishing credits include Solander Magazine – The Magazine of the Historical Novel Society, Wildchild Publishing with two Editor’s Choice Award wins, Charlotte Parent Magazine, Copperfield Review, Penwomanship, Bygone Days, Mid-South Review and Emerging Women Writers. My poetry has been published extensively in the U.S. and abroad and I sometimes write book reviews for Midwest Book Review and Curledup.com. I am also the managing editor of The Scruffy Dog Review, an online literary magazine. Believe me, I've had many more rejections than acceptances!

I'm looking forward to learning more from this board.
#679 - April 21, 2006, 03:45 PM

Welcome to the board, Brenda! :)

#680 - April 23, 2006, 07:00 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

HeatherBrewer

Hiya Brenda!  :laugh:
#681 - April 24, 2006, 10:47 AM

Patrick

Hi, I'm new here.  Actually, I've lurked around for a while but never posted.  I'm curently an illustrator but want to write.  I have several ideas and I'm currently working on one story now.  If I want to submit illustrations to a publisher, how do I do that?  I'm assuming each publisher has their own requirements but how would I know what size to create an illustration just for submission purposes? 

Also, anyone in the South Georgia area?  I'd like to have my story reviewed by someone once I get it completed.  And, if reviewed by someone, how do I protect my work from a reviewer taking my ideas?

Thanks
Patrick Carlson
www.hotspotgraphics.com
#682 - April 25, 2006, 07:18 AM

pretty pink princess poster
Poster Plus
Hi, Patrick! Welcome!

I'm not an illustrator, so I can't help you with illustration questions--you may want to post your questions in the illustrator section.

As for idea stealing, you may want to read this--go to # 4: http://agentquery.com/psa_immediatereject.aspx

Now that's for agents, but the idea is the same. Plus you wouldn't let someone you didn't "know" and respect look at your stuff.

Good luck!  :clover
#683 - April 25, 2006, 08:32 AM
PBU
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Brianna Bright Ballerina Knight series

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

Gerb

Welcome, Patrick.

I have no answers for you, not being an illustrator, but I know from meeting with our illustrators in my SCBWI region that they are an extremely knowledgeable bunch... and we just happen to have an RA from Florida on the boards.  She might be able to steer you towards some illustrator gatherings in your area.  Linda, are you around???

Gerb
#684 - April 25, 2006, 11:06 PM

Paulahy

Welcome Patrick!

I echo Pam's sentiment.  If you're concerned about idea theft it's best to stick with someone familiar.  Or participate awhile in forums like this until you get to know someone well enough.

There are many virtual crit groups available to writers.  That would require you to take a leap of faith on strangers.

While I'm sure they exist, I've never heard one story about an author being pilfered by a crit partner or group .

Good luck!

-P
#685 - April 26, 2006, 05:00 AM

Patrick

I've lurked around this site a while and it seems to be on the up-and-up.  I have no reason not to trust people here.  I think we're all looking for the same thing: to be the best author or illustrator in the universe!  But you're right, I'll spend a little more time here before handing out my story.  I'm still working on it anyway so it'll be a while.

Thanks
Patrick
#686 - April 26, 2006, 06:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi to all who are newer than me (not many!). Karen, I've seen you and Ravelda on the SCBWI Boards, and though I was mostly a lurker there, I was really impressed with the quality of your work.

Cindy - I love the idea that a book focused on 'kerplunking' could be educational! It is one of our favourite words around here.  Best of luck with the agent search; I firmly believe that if you have talent, it's just a war of attrition and you'll be fine if you can just stay the course.

Brenda - I'm a poet also (adult, rather than children's), published mostly in lit mags here in Australia. Currently also writing adult, YA and MG fiction.

Hope to see all of you around the boards here and there, but especially in Good News!

Meg
#687 - April 27, 2006, 08:20 AM

Xyrexus

Hey everone, what's up? ;D

I am new here and I am also a young; (very young) aspiring author who is presently working on an EPIC Fantasy Novel.
It is a pretty amazing concept and I know fans of Fantasy will not be disappointed, however; my story is filled with action and thrilling controversy--but I am not quite sure of which publisher I should submit my manuscript to.

Any who--I am hoping to learn a lot from the veteran authors at this forum and gain as much information about the industry. I am hoping no one at this site will plaigerise summaries of other authors work--because I am willing to present the members of this site with information regarding my...near completed work.

I do wish to learn more about this community and do the best I can to achieve my goals.

Thank You All For Your Time.
#688 - April 27, 2006, 09:36 AM

Jaina

Xyrexus, welcome--you can learn alot here if you stick around and read lots of the old posts.  Make sure you use the "search" feature, too--it's great!

Please know that anyone on the internet can read this site, so anything you post here is viewable by all.  I'm not saying that because I feel anyone here would "plagiarize summaries of other authors works" (I imagine you mean take your plot and use it?) but because you should know that anyone with an internet connection can read what you post, not just the kind, hard-working regulars who talk about writing here.

So I wouldn't share your thrilling plot unless you want the whole world to see it.  Not that the whole world comes here, but this site is searchable by Google.

You'll find this out as you go, but real writers do not need to steal others' plot ideas.  They have so many of their own, they don't have time to write them all, so they really don't have time to write OTHER peoples'!  This is one of the first "newbie" questions actually--how do I know a publisher won't steal my great idea when I send them my story?  The short answer is--you don't, but they won't.  They have better things to do.

I like your confidence in your current work-in-progress.  Be sure to read lots about submissions, when your time is right (that's how you'll learn how to figure out which publisher is a good target for you).  Here's an opinion for you, though.  If you write a cover letter or query that describes your own book as "pretty amazing," "filled with action" and "fans of fantasy will not be disappointed," etc., you'll probably turn off whoever is reading it.  Let your awesome work speak for itself!  The editor (or more likely, the ed.'s assistant) will make up their own mind about how wonderful it is.  So leave out the rhetoric and just be friendly and straightforward and you'll be read.  That's just my two cents.

Have fun!

J.
#689 - April 28, 2006, 07:32 AM

Thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes and welcome to those who've arrived after me!

Brenda  :balloongroup:
#690 - April 28, 2006, 11:43 AM

Members: