SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

shana

Hi everyone!  :) I actually signed up back in November and made one post, but have mostly just lurked. Then I took time off from the "business" part of the writing for the last few months to clear my head and get back to what I've always loved about writing (the actual creating and writing). Now I'm coming back into the business part and sending out agent queries again. My name is Shana (pronounced Shay-na). I write mostly YA chicklit and have three of those completed as well as an older fantasy trilogy and a coming of age novel, and I'm also at work on the first draft of another YA. I think I'm ready to be active here as I've enjoyed lurking around and reading what all of you have to say. ;D
#691 - May 02, 2006, 07:44 AM

Xyrexus

Xyrexus, welcome--you can learn alot here if you stick around and read lots of the old posts.  Make sure you use the "search" feature, too--it's great!

Please know that anyone on the internet can read this site, so anything you post here is viewable by all.  I'm not saying that because I feel anyone here would "plagiarize summaries of other authors works" (I imagine you mean take your plot and use it?) but because you should know that anyone with an internet connection can read what you post, not just the kind, hard-working regulars who talk about writing here.

So I wouldn't share your thrilling plot unless you want the whole world to see it.  Not that the whole world comes here, but this site is searchable by Google.

You'll find this out as you go, but real writers do not need to steal others' plot ideas.  They have so many of their own, they don't have time to write them all, so they really don't have time to write OTHER peoples'!  This is one of the first "newbie" questions actually--how do I know a publisher won't steal my great idea when I send them my story?  The short answer is--you don't, but they won't.  They have better things to do.

I like your confidence in your current work-in-progress.  Be sure to read lots about submissions, when your time is right (that's how you'll learn how to figure out which publisher is a good target for you).  Here's an opinion for you, though.  If you write a cover letter or query that describes your own book as "pretty amazing," "filled with action" and "fans of fantasy will not be disappointed," etc., you'll probably turn off whoever is reading it.  Let your awesome work speak for itself!  The editor (or more likely, the ed.'s assistant) will make up their own mind about how wonderful it is.  So leave out the rhetoric and just be friendly and straightforward and you'll be read.  That's just my two cents.

Have fun!

J.
Thank You so much for the advice, but unfortunately...I am not the one to boast about anything I do, like you said, I let the action speak for itself. I am fully aware that you should not 'tell' your work in the cover letter, because it may rise or fall on it's own merits.  ;)
I found an awesome publisher: BAEN BOOKS. Who is a fantasy and science-fiction publishing company. I read (I think the information came from this site) that they are highly reccommended :) that's great! But there are also many other publishers of fantasy, who I am cretain are also fantastic publishers and do the best if not all it can for it's authors and their work. But I also read (not from this site) that Baen's contracts are.......very competitive and indeed... LUCRATIVE. :paper: :D
#692 - May 02, 2006, 11:51 AM

Wordaholic
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome to the Blue Boards, everybody!  :)

Hi to all who are newer than me (not many!). Karen, I've seen you and Ravelda on the SCBWI Boards, and though I was mostly a lurker there, I was really impressed with the quality of your work.

Thank you, Megan! I've finished my rewrite of Ravelda and I'm now working with critiquers. I could always use extra input...

I am new here and I am also a young; (very young) aspiring author who is presently working on an EPIC Fantasy Novel.

How young is "very young", Xyrexus? I'm nineteen, myself. I know of several other writers here in their teens and early twenties.

Karen

#693 - May 02, 2006, 02:09 PM
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 02:14 PM by Ravelda »
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Thank you, Megan! I've finished my rewrite of Ravelda and I'm now working with critiquers. I could always use extra input...

Karen, I saw your post on the SCBWI Boards looking for critiquers and was able to restrain myself there. Now you are just tormenting me! I've promised myself (and my long-suffering family) that I won't take anything else on until I get through my current backlog and drop back to part-time work. I'm forever taking on too much, and together with my academic workload, I am more than maxed out at the moment. Sorry I can't help this time (now I will force myself to hit 'send' before I change my mind!)

Meg
#694 - May 03, 2006, 01:43 AM

EricBerlin

Since I've posted a few times now, and I've been hanging out occasionally in the chat room, maybe now would be a good time to generally introduce myself.

I am a recent arrival to the world of Young Adult literature, having just sold my first YA novel. (Or is it MG? I didn't even know there was a difference until I got here.) "The Secret in the Box" comes out Fall 2007. I'm currently working on the sequel -- slowly, slowly.

What else? I live in Connecticut; married; two little kids. I maintain a blog at http://www.ericberlin.com.

I've been enjoying reading the board and chatting with my fellow writers. I'm glad to have found you all.

Eric

#695 - May 03, 2006, 05:58 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Eric.  And congratulations on your novel.
#696 - May 03, 2006, 06:16 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Z-cat

Hi! This is a little late, since I have a few posts up, but I want to be # 700!  :)
I have just started sub'ing PBs, but I also have a novel, and several novel ideas that I have been puttering around with for years.
#697 - May 03, 2006, 05:33 PM

eniola

Hi Everyone,

I'm Joy.  I've always loved to write and i am finally doing something about it.  Looking forward to learning, sharing and growing with you all.

newbwriter.blogspot.com
#698 - May 05, 2006, 06:13 PM

Welcome to the board, Joy! :)

#699 - May 05, 2006, 07:26 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

mandy

Hi everyone!

I'm Mandy, and I'm 21.  I absolutely love writing and I've been doing it forever.  I finished my first full-length novel at age 15 and have been writing them ever since.  Right now, I'm shopping my book, STAGE LIGHTS, to agents--and trying to learn everything about the industry that I can. :)  I'd been lurking in this board for a couple weeks, and I finally decided to register!  I'm excited to get to know everyone, and big thanks to Robin for directing me here in the first place.
#700 - May 13, 2006, 02:04 PM

Welcome to the board, mandy. :)

#701 - May 13, 2006, 08:22 PM

W_chick24

HeyHey everyone...I joind a few weeks ago *with the advice of your very own Revelda*. I been really busy lately. But a small introduction.

I am *as another put it* a very, very young aspiring writer. I have currently a student of the Institute of Children's Liturature. I am into the last half of the basic course. I have developing my first novel *I got the first two chapters done but found I didn't have a setting or culture* so I am in the re-planing stage. While I am not working on my novel, doing school work, or my ICL course work I am out with all the animals and outside.

I am very cerious about things around me and enjoy learning new things...and look forward to getting to know other writers/illistrators...*though I am artistically challenged*  :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the time and look forward to getting to know all you.
#702 - May 13, 2006, 10:46 PM

eniola

Welcome aboard W_Chick!
#703 - May 14, 2006, 06:12 AM

A. J. Gaines

I've got over 200 credits, mostly for adults, including poetry, fiction, nonfiction, visual art and original music, under a variety of bylines.  Impressive?  Hardly.  There are hundreds of amateur 'zines out there, hungry for material.  It's easy to get published, but very hard to get published well.  I look back on all but a handful of sales with boredom or embarrassment, grateful for the fact that many of those pubs have since disappeared, along with my forgettable pieces.  I was thrilled, though, when I sold a story to one of the major children's magazines.  The next year, I sold another.   I truly enjoy writing for children and young adults, and believe this audience brings out the best in me.  I want to make them laugh, or cry, or bite their fingernails to the quick.  This is far more challenging and worthwhile, I think, than acquiring a great number of credits. 

A. J. Gaines
#704 - May 15, 2006, 12:53 PM

Jaina

Yay, A. J.!  Welcome!  I agree about the quality vs. quantity...
#705 - May 15, 2006, 01:29 PM

ladysaraii

Hi,

My name is Carmen and I'm soon to be 23.  I'm not new to writing, I've had several adult short stories published, but I am new to children's books.  I'm impressed w/ what I've seen so far and I'm looking forward to participating and joining a critique group down the line.
#706 - May 15, 2006, 01:34 PM

W_chick24

Hi,

My name is Carmen and I'm soon to be 23.  I'm not new to writing, I've had several adult short stories published, but I am new to children's books.  I'm impressed w/ what I've seen so far and I'm looking forward to participating and joining a critique group down the line.

Welcome Carmen!! I am pretty new here myself. Congrats on the short stories already published, that is fantastic.  8)
#707 - May 15, 2006, 05:04 PM

Wordaholic
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
HeyHey everyone...I joind a few weeks ago *with the advice of your very own Revelda*. I been really busy lately. But a small introduction.

Hi W_chick24! Or shall I say... Destiny?  :D

Karen
#708 - May 15, 2006, 07:05 PM
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

W_chick24

Hi W_chick24! Or shall I say... Destiny?  :D

Karen

LOL!! Either way it's still me  :evil:

Mmmm...still don't know it that is good or bad!  ;)
#709 - May 16, 2006, 05:37 PM

lizzybee999

Hi Everyone!

I just joined, after lurking for a couple of months, so I thought I should introduce myself.

I'm 46-going-on-12, and I am finally getting serious about writing after a lifetime of letting other things take priority while I hid from the terror of the blank page by never 'finding the time'. I've wanted to write since I learned to read, and I've been 'trying' -- keeping notebooks of ideas, clippings, quotes, snippets of dialogue, starting projects and stalling out etc., for about twenty years. It's easy to tell yourself 'you aren't any good' in order to avoid the hard work of writing, but if the desire to write and the ideas and characters that possess you won't go away, you eventually have to do something more constructive about it.

This year, I'm finally taking myself seriously and putting writing first among my other free-time activities. With a full-time job (Administrative Assistant for a manufacturing firm), husband, almost-13-YO son, house and large garden, plus a hefty slice of volunteer involvement, I have to make sure writing doesn't continue to take last place, because I don't have much free time, and I'm not getting any younger! I'm from Canada, BTW. I love to read, but I have to limit it now, as it has always been the greatest aid to writing avoidance -- too much of a good thing is NOT a good thing, don't you know!

I am currently working on what I call 'WIP 2' which is a 'fantasy-historical' novel set in 1912. The MC is a 8YO boy and it's inspired by stories of my grandfather's childhood, although the plot is definitely fantasy and includes a magical creature. It's for fun, mostly, because I'm the sort who is easily overwhelmed, so I try not to think about whether it would be publishable or not -- I'm just trying to write the best story I can.

I'm a Cub Leader, 'Raksha', and WIP 2 is written for this (8-10 YO) age group -- if nothing else, I want to have a story that I'm proud to read aloud, and they are thrilled to hear. I feel lucky to have a captive audience! It inspires me while writing to think of their reactions, so I'm really motivated to push on through the story and be ready to share with them as soon as possible. I'm hoping to have a full draft finished by the fall. 

I've talked about the experiences of the real-life characters during Remembrance Day presentations, and the Cubs are always riveted, wanting to know 'more' -- that reaction inspires my long term goals, as I hope the chronicle of the MC's WWI adventures would be of interest to teachers and possibly publishable some day, if I can do a quality job of it.

This is a great site, and I look forward to participating!

Elizabeth
#710 - May 17, 2006, 11:10 AM

W_chick24

Welcome Lizzy!! I am glad you desided to join in and take the plunge  :D! Hope you find the drive you need to continue with your writing no matter what your long term or short term goals are!

And remember there is no such thing as to old or to young...you just got be willing to get up on the horse and giddy-up  :horse LOL

Destiny
#711 - May 17, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hello, my name is Stephanie Reed and I live in Ohio.  My teen novel, Across the Wide River, came out 9/04 from Kregel Publications, an evangelical Christian publisher.  My published or accepted work makes it look like I'm going for a cover-all in Writer's Bingo: my book, an inspirational true story in Seek, a children's mystery in Discovery Trails, a poem in Live, a feature article in a local newspaper, and a retold Bible story in Clubhouse Jr.  I have a nonfiction article developed from my library/bookstore/classroom book talk out right now; just got rejected but I'm not giving up.  
#712 - May 17, 2006, 11:30 AM
http://stephanielreed.com

"If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

Welcome to the board, Stef. :) Congratulations on your published work!
#713 - May 17, 2006, 08:07 PM

lizzybee999

Thanks for the welcome, Destiny! The drive is what makes the difference -- I'm quite certain I have a handle on it. Once you get going, you discover how much fun it is. No more 'blank page fever' for me!
#714 - May 18, 2006, 07:39 AM

Welcome to the board, Stef. :) Congratulations on your published work!

Thanks, G.R.!  I left out the sad parts in-between when I doubted and cried.  :D
#715 - May 18, 2006, 11:04 AM

From one Steph to another Stef:  Welcome!

I'm familiar with your publishers.  Great job!  I've done two things for Concordia now, but that's all I've done.

Stephenie
#716 - May 18, 2006, 11:44 AM

Hello, Steph, what a lovely name!  I've heard of Concordia, too, and what do you mean that's all you've done?  Congrats!  My primary work thus far has been raising two sweet kids, a 20-yr-old son and a 17-yr-old daughter.  I didn't start writing until I was 40, and this July I'll be 48.  But Moses was a late bloomer, too...       
#717 - May 18, 2006, 05:47 PM

stephaniet

Hi,
#718 - May 22, 2006, 03:31 PM

stephaniet

Hi,  I'm new to the chatboard, on the recommendation of Tammi, who has such great success this year!  I have been working on learning to write for children for about two years.  I am currently working on a YA novel, and have 3 picture books sent out, even though I know the market is tough for PBs right now.  Tammi's still getting them published so they just have to be good enough and get to the right person.  I work a more than full time job, have a husband and kids, and parents who are aging, so sometimes I have trouble finding time for the writing, but I've kept after it pretty consistently.  No acceptances yet, but I feel that my writing has improved a lot in the last two years and recently received a very complimentary reject, which said that the reader laughed out loud and found the story well written and engaging.  I've corrected the flaws that reader saw and sent it to another house, so perhaps there's hope on the horizon.

I'm going to have to look out for this chat board.  I could take up too much time.

Harmel
#719 - May 22, 2006, 03:35 PM

Welcome to the board, Harmel. :)

#720 - May 22, 2006, 07:09 PM

Members: