SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Yes, welcome, Harmel. We were just toasting Tammi's success in another thread. It's great to see pbs getting published, and I've heard a few editors say lately that they think the market will swing back a bit soon. It would be great to see a run on pb sales on the boards. I hear you on the lack of time, too. I've just gone part-time and started freelancing more, but until a month or so ago I was working about 70 hours a week in academia. More than full-time, indeed. I hope you keep managing to find those tiny windows of time for your writing, even though it can seem impossible sometimes.

Meg
#721 - May 23, 2006, 12:35 AM

stephaniet

Thanks for the nice welcomes!
Harmel
#722 - May 23, 2006, 03:13 PM

hiddentears

I'm new on here. right now I'm trying my hand at poetry, but I would love to finish a YA novel
#723 - May 23, 2006, 11:37 PM

Welcome, hiddentears! :)

#724 - May 24, 2006, 06:41 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

bzirkle

Hello all...I just found this website and so far am loving it...I love to write picture books - YA and everything in between...its whatever hits my fancy that day...I'm not published, yet, but am always sending things out... :paper:

I live in Virginia, am married with a teenage son (graduating this year...argh) and the most spoiled pomeranian around...

I guess that's about it for me at the moment...I can't wait to get to know you guys better...

Happy Writing...Brenda
#725 - May 28, 2006, 01:31 PM

Welcome to the board, Brenda. :)

#726 - May 28, 2006, 07:32 PM

margueritta

Hi - I'm from Australia. I've spent over a year writing a kid's book, 280 pages long, can't remember the word count but it's my little baby and I've sent it out into the big wide world
The rejections are getting me down and this looks like a good place to share the woe around
#727 - May 30, 2006, 06:09 PM

pixiechick

Welcome Margueritta!  I hope you like it here!
#728 - May 30, 2006, 06:17 PM

yogamama

Greetings All,

It's so nice to be here.  I love reading what writer's write and what they think about writing.  This is the perfect place for me.  I'm a new - newbie.  Picture books are my passion.  I was a bit bummed to read earlier that the pb market is in a slump.

My family, 2 little ones (4 and 3) and hubby, live in New England.  He belongs to all these techie forums.  He is in them ALL the time.  Now I can tell him I need the computer to go to my forum!  Thanks for the forum to share ideas!  Take care.

Betty
#729 - May 31, 2006, 04:40 PM

Welcome, Betty! :)

#730 - May 31, 2006, 07:58 PM

Anne S

Hi everyone,

I just found this board a few weeks ago, and I have been lurking. Today, I finally registered.
I have made the decision to leave the unstable world of freelance writing to devote myself
to YA and MG writing. It really helps that I got an acceptance from Andrew Karre at Flux
for a YA novel this week. AFter reading everyone's experiences, I can see I am lucky, but
I still have a lot to learn. This will be my first published novel...somehow I feel like I should
know more than I do about the business end of publishing. Anyway, I wanted to register
so I would have a place where other people are taking the leap into the writing world.
-Anne
#731 - June 01, 2006, 12:30 PM

Welcome, Anne!  Congratulations on your YA being accepted. :)
#732 - June 01, 2006, 07:15 PM

PinkJL

Hello Everyone,
I have visited this site many times. Today I finally registered! My nonfiction work has been accepted by Weeones on-line magazine. I write Stories, poems and articles for children of all ages.
PinkJL
#733 - June 02, 2006, 07:49 AM

Hi, I'm Linda.  I live in southern Ohio.  I write MG and YA.  Looking forward to getting to know lots and lots of you guys.  Thanks, Verla.  Great site!
#734 - June 02, 2006, 03:48 PM

Welcome to the board, Pink and inkjunkie. (And congratulations on your nonfiction work getting accepted, Pink!) :)

#735 - June 02, 2006, 06:38 PM

PinkJL

Thanks G.R. I am really happy to be a member of this board.
Thanks to VK for providing such a useful site.
PinkJL
#736 - June 02, 2006, 06:50 PM

Barancik

Hey all. My name is Steve Barancik, and I just stumbled upon this site. (Googled upon would probably be more accurate.)

I'm a screenwriter (former screenwriter would probably be more accurate, according to my agent) kind of flitting about on what to do next. When a child rather dropped into my life, I redeveloped an interest in children's books.

I've written a bunch for her, but have kind of burned out on putting my fate in the hands of others. (I imagine children's book editors could drive me nearly as crazy as movie producers used to.) So rather than launch into trying to market my children's books to publishing houses, I decided to launch a website and see where that takes me.

Anyway, I figure I'll be dropping by here some more and so wanted to say "Hey, here's who I am." And since there seemed to be a thread for just that....

The website is called Best Children's Books - Find, Read or Write, at http://www.best-childrens-books.com. Constructive criticism, or even cleverly written hate mail, would be welcomed.
#737 - June 05, 2006, 10:56 AM

writegirl2b

Hi.  I am new to posting and chatting.  I am sure I will figure it all out!  Looking forward to connecting with other writers.  I have been told to get involved in writing chats, etc, but never have.  I am a mother of 3 with a houseful of animals!  I take in strays and place them.  I work for a children's hospital and I write whenever a story pops into my head.
#738 - June 05, 2006, 07:47 PM

jory

Hi, I'm new here too. :) I write YA, am gearing up to query agents soon, and am also trying to improve my short-story skills (which currently stink  ::) ). :typing:

This looks like a great place, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all around!  ;D
#739 - June 06, 2006, 01:46 PM

Jaina

Welcome, all you new people, Steve and Writegirl2b and Jory....  This is a great place to learn and share and chat.  And if you say the magic word of the day, everybody screams!

J.
#740 - June 06, 2006, 02:05 PM

mrspilkington

Hi,

New member, lurker for a long time and then joined and posted before I saw this thread. :P  I write mostly YA and MG, but want to do PBs one day too.  I'm in New York, married with a 2 year old...Jut started querying on my MG novel a couple of weeks ago and got requests for the full MS from both people I queried.  The requests came this week, just as I decided to do a total rewrite of my ending, so I'm freaking out a bit! :eek5:

These boards are a wonderful resource, hope I can contribute!
#741 - June 08, 2006, 09:41 PM

zazzee

Hi ALL,
I've been visiting the site for about 6 months, this is my first post. I'm new to the scene although I done other musical / puppet projects for kids. Presently I'm working on several picture books some which are rhyming and I'm stuck on a couple of novels after a few chapters. Thanks to all who keep the site up and going.
#742 - June 09, 2006, 04:50 PM

Welcome to the board, zazee and perhapsivesaidtoomuch!  ;D

#743 - June 09, 2006, 06:51 PM

Lauren

My name is Lauren, and I'm the mother of two in California.  I write mostly middle grade, but am open to YA.  My first manuscript is finished and with an agent now for consideration!  I am very happy to have been told of these boards, as they look to be quite helpful.
#744 - June 10, 2006, 04:43 PM

Welcome, Lauren! :)

#745 - June 10, 2006, 06:12 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome to all the newer-than-me people. It's good to see the room filling up behind me. Margueritta, I missed your first post because I've been trying to stay offline the last week, but I'm from Australia too. I think there are a few of us here, lurking around. Best of luck with your ms - have you sent it just to Australian publishers at this point, or are you trying the US market?

Meg
#746 - June 11, 2006, 06:08 AM

jo_no_anne

Wow, there are alot of smileys to choose from! I pick...this one  :typing:
I have heard of these famous boards for quite some time and, because I am procrastinating on a project, I decided to see what they're about. I am very impressed I must say!
  :faint:
I write young adult fiction (I adore fantasy, though after I finish this project, I plan to work on a contemporary novel) and I live in Texas and I know a couple of you here, I think. Hi, guys!
#747 - June 11, 2006, 05:36 PM
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 05:39 PM by jo_no_anne »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Jo!
#748 - June 12, 2006, 09:40 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Hi,

Based on a tip from someone on another board, I just found this site. From what I've see so far, it looks like a lively site and quite friendly, and I like what I've read. I'm hoping to get involved.

A bit about myself. I've written a YA novel titled, "The Bridge Beckons," but I'm having a hard time getting an agent and/or publisher. I'm not sure if it's my novel, or just my query. Queries are difficult beasts, I've found. In the mean time, I'm writing my second YA novel, "GLENNA!," hoping that one will sell if the first doesn't.

I have a question for y'all. As I've looked over some of the various messages on the boards, I see few (if any) men posters. Is everyone here female?

Sorry, but I'm not.
Paul
#749 - June 12, 2006, 09:59 AM
Come join my novel writing journey where I often offer writing tips at www.paulwwest.com, and find my novel Bridgetown High set in Crockett, Californi

Jaina

Not everybody, Paul!  We have some male members, though they're far outnumbered by the female kind!  Mostly as a reflection of the kid-lit industry, I imagine.  Our male members are an outspoken little bunch, normally--perhaps they'll speak up soon! :D  You can also check the Member List at the bottom of the page.
#750 - June 12, 2006, 10:12 AM

Members: