SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Thanks Jaina. That helps me feel not so out of place here.
#751 - June 12, 2006, 10:14 AM
Come join my novel writing journey where I often offer writing tips at www.paulwwest.com, and find my novel Bridgetown High set in Crockett, Californi

racheling

Hello : )  I just found this place yesterday and I've been browsing it since.  Everyone seems so friendly, which is a nice change from some of the other boards I read. 

My name is Rachel.  I'm relatively new to writing for children.  I've written a bunch of short pieces, but the most ambitious so far is the YA science fiction novel I've been working on with my fiance, which I'm really excited about finishing (hopefully by the end of summer).  I'll probably have lots of questions, but I hope I'll be able to contribute as well.  :D

#752 - June 12, 2006, 11:35 AM

I would like some help with my query, but being new here, I'm not sure where to post it. Any suggestions, or is that kind of thing not allowed here?
#753 - June 12, 2006, 04:30 PM
Come join my novel writing journey where I often offer writing tips at www.paulwwest.com, and find my novel Bridgetown High set in Crockett, Californi

Jaina

That's fine, Paul.  I guess I'd post it under "Writing."  We don't really have a general "Submitting" section, so most general query questions get posted there.
#754 - June 12, 2006, 05:40 PM

Hello : )  I just found this place yesterday and I've been browsing it since.  Everyone seems so friendly, which is a nice change from some of the other boards I read. 

My name is Rachel.  I'm relatively new to writing for children.  I've written a bunch of short pieces, but the most ambitious so far is the YA science fiction novel I've been working on with my fiance, which I'm really excited about finishing (hopefully by the end of summer).  I'll probably have lots of questions, but I hope I'll be able to contribute as well.  :D

Welcome to the board. :) That's neat that you're collaborating with somebody on your latest project -- that's what I've been doing, too (except that I'm working with my dad, and we're doing what we hope will be a series of picture books).

#755 - June 12, 2006, 07:15 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Overyonder

Hello All

New as of today! I am mother of one who left for college last year. Librarian. Totally immersed in history, especially California gold rush era. Hi all. :pencil:
#756 - June 14, 2006, 02:13 AM

Hi and welcome. I'm new here too, but so far I like what I see.

I'm intrigued by your fascination with the California gold rush era. I too am a California history buff, but my era is more pre-WWI, during California's second gold rush, golden grain that is. I have a historical novel almost plotted in my mind that I want to write someday set in what used to be the largest grain shipping port in the world, Port Costa. Have you ever heard of it?

P.S. One of my great great great grandfathers was a 49er and died near Placerville.
#757 - June 14, 2006, 07:59 AM

Overyonder

Hi. I have binders full of family information mixed with documents from the larger historical scene between 1840s to 1900. I grew up in Contra Costa County.  :) Also have some 49ers (great, greats) from the southern mines. I am more interested in nonfiction right now. It is helping me get into the mindset of the time.
#758 - June 14, 2006, 10:56 AM
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 10:58 AM by Overyonder »

yogamama

Welcome everyone.  You're going to find a lot of information here.  I'm glad you found it.  It's always interesting to hear the projects people have going on.  We really are a limitless bunch.  Thanks for your info.
#759 - June 14, 2006, 11:46 AM

Hi. I have binders full of family information mixed with documents from the larger historical scene between 1840s to 1900. I grew up in Contra Costa County.  :) Also have some 49ers (great, greats) from the southern mines. I am more interested in nonfiction right now. It is helping me get into the mindset of the time.

I'm originally from Contra Costa County too. Have you ever heard of Port Costa? I grew up there. I'm into family history research as well. I don't know much about my 49er ancestors, but I would like to find more.
#760 - June 14, 2006, 12:44 PM

Hi!  My name is Kim and I'm new to this board.  I've been writing seriously since 2003.  I have completed a YA multicultural fantasy, which I'm looking for an agent to represent me.  I'm currently writing a YA paranormal.  As of one hour ago, I'm up to 50 rejections.  Ouch!  My goal is 100 so I'm half way there.  It seems like now I'm getting more feedback on my fantasy.  I hope to get my website up soon.  I have someone who'll do some artwork for my novel EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA.  Once we agree on some pieces, my husband will put my site together.
#761 - June 14, 2006, 05:43 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Welcome to the board, Kim! :)

#762 - June 15, 2006, 07:55 PM

Jo

Hi all. I've been lurking for about a week now, since finding this board through another.
I've published one picture book and one reluctant reader and by this time next year will have a second reluctant reader and a YA novel on the shelves.
I have a lovely literary agent who is very enthusiastic about my writing, but I still find myself looking for online forums on which to spend far too much time...
I am currently revising a previous YA novel that garnered interest but was too 'slight' and dabbling in some trashy YA writing with a possible future commission for a series.
I shall probably be on here far more than I should, given that I also teach part time at secondary school.
I'm in the UK, by the way  ;)

am LOVING the smilies and am looking forward to contributing to the boards  :dancing:
#763 - June 21, 2006, 03:55 AM

Jaina

Hi, Jo, and welcome!
#764 - June 21, 2006, 06:53 AM

dtbrks

Hi,

Brand new here - what a great site!  I am new to the whole writing thing, but am excited to start.

Theresa
Massachusetts
#765 - July 03, 2006, 07:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, Theresa. I just saw your post in the Sylvan Dell thread - it looks like you're off to a flying start!

Meg
#766 - July 03, 2006, 08:53 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi - I'm a "newbie" (it says so just to the left of this  ;D)

I've written a YA sci-fi novel & have had one personal rejection so far. I'm rewriting parts of it and will send it back to the same editor.  I've also written a MG novel (rewriting it now) and am hoping to have it ready to send out soon. I also have a PB out there, waiting to hear back.

This is a nice board - it came highly recommended! 

Now - off to bed  - 'nite

:zzz
#767 - July 11, 2006, 07:05 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Welcome, Juliarts! Good luck with those projects. :)

#768 - July 12, 2006, 07:29 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, G.R.!  ;D
#769 - July 13, 2006, 03:54 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Carrie_Kabak

Hi Everyone--I'm new here!
#770 - July 13, 2006, 01:48 PM

Hi Carrie!  Welcome!!   :jump :jump
#771 - July 13, 2006, 02:15 PM

Carrie_Kabak

Hi Emily
Is that your dog? Gorgeous!

Trying to find my way around here. I found the forum when searching for an agent's name!
#772 - July 13, 2006, 02:30 PM

Hey Carrie! It's umm . . . me, Brenda from Backspace.  It's good to see you here. Heather and Bonnie are here too!

WELCOME!

#773 - July 13, 2006, 04:57 PM

Carrie_Kabak

Hi Brenda!

So Bonnie and Heather are here, too? I think I saw Ally Carter as well!

#774 - July 13, 2006, 05:55 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Hi Brenda!

So Bonnie and Heather are here, too? I think I saw Ally Carter as well!

Welcome to all the new faces. As for the Backspace Writers, while I have not posted on the message boards there, I am attending the Backspace conference in NY next week. Looking forward to the event.

-Pamela
#775 - July 14, 2006, 01:29 AM

Welcome to all the new faces. As for the Backspace Writers, while I have not posted on the message boards there, I am attending the Backspace conference in NY next week. Looking forward to the event.

-Pamela

Gosh, you're so lucky. Next year, I'm definitely going!
#776 - July 14, 2006, 08:19 AM

Slushpal

Hello everybody,  :)

I've just discovered the board, and have found some really interesting info already. I especially like the thread about how long it takes different publishers to reply - makes me feel I'm not alone in the waiting (and the disappointment.)

I'm trying to get my first PB published..it's a first-person rhyming story for toddlers & preschoolers. A tough sell - I know.  :(
#777 - July 27, 2006, 10:14 AM

Welcome to the board, Slushpal. :)

And good luck with finding a publisher for your PB!  :clover
#778 - July 27, 2006, 06:29 PM

Slushpal

Thanks - what a friendly group!
#779 - July 27, 2006, 06:41 PM

thrillofthequill

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit shy, but I've promised myself I'm not going to lurk.  Well I didn't for long, as I can see this is such great group!  So I'll be polite and grown up and introduce myself.  My name is Claire and I am in Ontario.  I live up near Kincardine, in the country, 3 miles from a town of 600.  It's to the west of Lake Huron. 

For the last week I have been basking in the glorious aftermath of Chautauqua 2006.  If you are like the fantastic fun people I met there, we'll be fine.  I had written for about 6 months, three years ago.  I quit while I was building an Antique Linen business on Ebay, I had tons of research, reading, cleaning, ironing, and listing etc.  The business is still going, but is down to a dull roar and I can handle both now.  Chautauqua was my way of getting back into the swing of things, and I must confess I wondered if I would be an "imposter" there.  I guess I wanted to pick up my writing bad enough that I went and totally loved it and felt included.  Definitely a great decision.  I met the blue boarders that were there this year.  I'm sure they know me as there was only one Claire  :writing:.

I am early on in the writing process.  Fear not, there'll be no crippling newbie questions (I hope).  I did about 3/4 of the ICL course before I couldn't commit any more time, and was subbing short F & NF to magazines, Highlights, and Spider and others.  I had lots of personal rejections, and I think all the market reasearch helped.  I love research, so researching the market is actually fun for me......

The fiction pieces I am currently working on are short (100-800 words) stories, poetry, rebuses, an early reader and a pb.  Since back from Chautauqua, I've had a few aha's on things that sat nearly 3 years...talk about distance.  I like to have a few things going, then when I get stuck on one, I can let it sit while I work on something else.  I have fun with NF, but am 1.5 hours form the nearest university library (UWO).  I'll do as much as I can online, then plan a day out in civilization that always includes shopping. 

Well I guess that's enough for now.  Looks like there's some discusssion about the CANSCAIP PYI....I think I'll head over. 
#780 - August 01, 2006, 07:16 AM
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 07:18 AM by thrill of the quill »

Members: