SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Welcome to the board, Claire. I hope you have fun posting here! :)

#781 - August 01, 2006, 06:55 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

thrillofthequill

Thanks GR, I look forward to posting and getting to know everyone here.   It makes writing all that more enjoyable when you can share in the process as well as the results.   
#782 - August 01, 2006, 07:54 PM

Chicken Warrior

Hi Claire and everyone else!

I'm another newbie...kind of. I was here a bit around Christmas time, but I never had enough time to post much. Couldn't find my username or password just now, so I have a new account set up, too.

A bit about myself...let's see: My name is Joseph, I live in Victoria BC Canada, I'm 16, homeschooled, and slow in the brain. I've never been able to write short stories (the phrase is somewhat oxymoronic to me), but I've finally finished editing my first YA novel (a mystery) and will be sending it about shortly. Aside from that, I've written for plenty of video game websites, and was recently on the editorial collective of a local by-youth-for-youth magazine. I also recently created my own website about electronic books for teens, www.teenebooks.com.

Lastly, I've just decided that I like the word oxymoronic very much. Please excuse me if I use the term oxymoronic repeatedly and/or improperly.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and hope I'll have more opportunity this time 'round to be a regular contributor to these great forums.

Thanks for existing everyone!
 - Joseph
#783 - August 02, 2006, 07:23 PM

thrillofthequill

Hi Joseph,
Welcome.  Thanks for speaking up...you'll be glad you did.  I love your username.  I'm definitely getting an image. 
I checked out your site. Looks great.  You must do a ton of reading :) 
Good luck on the YA mystery, sounds like you've been busy.  And you've come to the right place to fine tune the subbing process.  Welcome again.  Claire
#784 - August 02, 2006, 07:50 PM

dreams_drawer

Hi, everyone!

I'm a newbie here!
My name is DAYU  and I live in Indonesia,South-East Asia.

Actually, I was interesting with books and publishing work since I was kid  ;D. I really want to make a books and I just want to see my work on the book store as a BEST SELLER COPIES  ;D ha...ha....just kidding, but it was my biggest dream.

I'm an amateur artist and never got any formal education of art. I just draws as my hobby.
Firstly, I want to made comic books (in japanese style called manga), but now, I've changed my destination to made children book, coz I think it more fun than to be a mangaka  ;D

I just try to learn a writing, illutrating books and publishing world by join this forum, coz I saw there's so many professionals who talked in this site, and it gonna be fun.

I hope you don't bother to help me understanding those amazing world, coz in my thought, books are the world treasure  :D and I hope mine would be one of that.

Thanks
#785 - August 02, 2006, 08:01 PM

eniola

welcome aboard dreams_drawer!  Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff!
#786 - August 03, 2006, 09:06 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome dreams_drawer - I think you'll find this is a great place to connect with like-minded people!   :hug:

Julia
#787 - August 03, 2006, 09:08 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Kathy E

Hi, all!  Thanks for being so welcoming.  I'm a writer of middle grade and young adult novels :books: and am finally trying to get cyberwise with the help of a savvy friend.  :typing:  It's great to see such an international group here.  Hi, Canajuns!   :moose  I lived in Newfoundland as a teenager--some nice there, sure. 

Currently I'm in the editing process on a YA novel with a NY publisher (I haven't signed the contract yet so I can't say which) and a mid-grade with Front Street Books.  In between taking care of two wild kids, and a husband and dog, I try to write as much as possible.   :writing3:  Hope to read lots of your writing, here and in the bookshops, soon!  :reading2:

Kathy
#788 - August 03, 2006, 03:10 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Kathy E,

Sounds like you have a lot going right now!  Good luck with the YA and when does the MG come out?   :)

Julia
#789 - August 03, 2006, 03:12 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Kathy E! We're glad  you have an internet savvy friend. :) Glad you're here too!
#790 - August 03, 2006, 05:55 PM
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
ME WITH YOU -- (Philomel)
MINI-RACER -- (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK -- (Abrams)
http://kristydempsey.livejournal.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Welcome, Kathy!

This is a nice place to procrastinate. :)

AM
#791 - August 03, 2006, 05:56 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

sam192a

Hi there everyone. I’m new to this site and a little timorous. I have finished my first children’s fantasy novel and it’s taking a beating from publishers and agents alike. I knew before sending it off, that rejection is the norm, however, my skin is obviously not as thick as I thought. I did get a good reaction today, although backhanded with the usual rejection; the agent in question said that he could see the intelligence and imagination in my work but didn’t love it! Ah nuts! What’s a girl to do? Any advice please?
#792 - August 06, 2006, 03:22 AM

Donna

What's a girl to do? Keep on keeping on!  :horse 

I don't know how "tight" your story is - it may be perfect. If it's not, have someone else give the once over. If you are part of a critique group, great! That's even better. :)

Grace and peace,
Donna

#793 - August 06, 2006, 04:25 AM

Welcome, Sam,
Keep revising, keep sending, keep hoping and keep in touch with your fellow writers for support.  Then keep writing.
#794 - August 06, 2006, 05:55 AM

I agree with inkjunkie.  Keep revising, keep sending, keep in touch with fellow writers for support.  I'd also recommend working on another novel and put the first away for a little while.  My fantasy had 58 rejections before an e-publisher offered me a contract.  I'm currently working on my second novel.  It helps to also belong to a critique group.  I go to mine once a week.  Don't lose the faith!
#795 - August 06, 2006, 07:18 AM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Kathy E

Hi, Julia--good question about when the MG will be published . . . I'm working with my 2nd editor now and waiting to hear back on my major revisions.  I'm sure there'll be more.  I'm thinking 2008.  In the meantime, I'll just work on some others so the time will go by faster!
Kathy 
#796 - August 06, 2006, 07:54 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi, Julia--good question about when the MG will be published . . . I'm working with my 2nd editor now and waiting to hear back on my major revisions.  I'm sure there'll be more.  I'm thinking 2008.  In the meantime, I'll just work on some others so the time will go by faster!
Kathy 

Well - keep us posted - we're  a curious lot   :eek5: and love to celebrate things, like books being published!   :phat

Julia
#797 - August 06, 2006, 08:25 AM

Hi everyone!  I've been around the boards for a little while, but haven't posted a whole lot.  I live in Pennsylvania, transplanted from Indiana 4 years ago.  I write a little bit of everything, but have a real penchant for ghost stories.  My current project is a YA historical fanatasy.  Hey Claire!  It was great meeting you at Chautauqua!  Still floating about 6 inches above the ground since I got back!

I taught high school English for several years and am now raising two beautiful kids (is there any other kind?) and one brainiac husband.  Two dogs like to tangle underfoot, too!  When I left teaching 5 years ago, I started writing...a few picture books, some articles, eventually a novel.  Lots of rejection letters!  But no broken spirit!  Hey Sam...I agree with Inkjunkie and the others...keep on keeping on. 

I was lucky enough to work with Patti Gauch at Chautauqua, and she invited me to keep working with her on my novel and submit when it's complete.   :jump  Wahoo!  She is fabulous!  I also have an article with Cricket, requested revision, and hope to hear something positive soon.  When I'm done with my latest novel, I'll return to my first and put a good revision on.  Distance really does help.  I think I hear the door cracking...just a little!

Great to talk to so many fun writers on the blueboards!

Mary Ann
#798 - August 06, 2006, 02:05 PM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Welcome, Mary Ann. :) Good luck with all those projects!  :clover

#799 - August 06, 2006, 06:20 PM

porterbooks

Hi, I have read like these board like a little stocker for a while.   :cuccoan: Just kidding.  I do post on the SCBWI boards a lot.  Hi ladies and gents I see there.    I am a mom of five, three by birth and two we adopted as foster parents.  I have been married for about 10 years and my husband is a hotty....ok, I think he is.  I just moved to the backwoods in Arkansas for fun.  I love to write.  My first two books stunk, but were picked up by some poor small educational publisher.  Sorry.  I write PBs, MG, and a few attempts at YAs.  Right now I am about 20 pages from finishing my Historical YA, and loving it.  Hope it goes somewhere.  These boards are great.
#800 - August 06, 2006, 08:51 PM

sam192a

Hi there i'm Sam
I posted for the first time yesterday, but struggling to get the hang of this. I live in the UK, but we are making noises about moving to Florida; funny as i get most inspiration from the British countryside but the sunshine is calling. As i said yesterday, first MS is taking a beating and thanks for the advice you gave me. My biggest problem is having so many ideas whizzing around in the old bonnet that i struggle to get them down on paper. What i need is a device that you can plug into the earhole and downloads everything on to the PC, can you imagine the husbands face though as movie and TV hunks keep popping up in different states of undress? Hay-ho, i shall get out the old faithful ' Writers and Artists Yearbook' again and keep on sending to every available agent and publisher on the list. What if i used gentle persuasion and sent them all a chocolate cake with my submissions ?
#801 - August 07, 2006, 10:44 AM

Welcome, porterbooks and Sam! :)

Porterbooks -- congratulations on getting your first two books published, and good luck with your next one.

Sam -- I hope your first MS gets picked up soon.

#802 - August 07, 2006, 06:03 PM

crcook

I suppose I should introduce myself too. I've lurked for a year but just started posting recently.

I enjoy the great weath of shared info here and know some of you through my own excellent critique group JWKC (waving to LRM, ECB, Harrietthespy -- hey ladies!) and through Livejournal (Hi to Lizzy, Kidlit Kim, KellyR, Cynthea, Sascha, TGG and many, many more).

I've completed one MG novel, whcih a few agents requested to read more (waiting is just so much fun, hence the sudden burst in posting) , and am plugging through mss two and three.

Thanks to Verla and all the moderators for this helping hand!
#803 - August 07, 2006, 07:52 PM

Hello, my name is Amanda Coppedge.  I live in south Florida and I'm a Librarian Trainee in the children's section of a local library.  I hope to be a full-fledged children's or young adult librarian one day.

I started writing when I was about nine years old and I haven't stopped.  While I was in college I fell in love with Donna Tartt's "The Secret History" and tried my hand at adult fiction for awhile.  I wrote a book called "Water and Honey" and got a nibble from Macadam/Cage (the publishers of "The Time Traveler's Wife") but they passed.  I got not one but *two* lovely, detailed personals from them, though!

Spent awhile revising and revising and re-revising WandH until I realized--this is ridiculous.  Why am I struggling to write adult fiction when YA and MG come so much more naturally to me?  I got over my fangirl crush on Donna Tartt and started working on several projects for the younger set.

What a friendly world this is.  People just keep guiding me to these wonderful resources--a local SCBWI critique group, Cynthea Liu's site and this wonderful message board, for example.  Everyone is so supportive and kind and full of wonderful advice and ideas.  I'm happy to be here. 
#804 - August 08, 2006, 07:10 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

chrisser

Hi,

Add one more newbie to the mix! I've lurked for a few months, seeking solace among fellow writers as I wait for responses to queries and obsessively check for tidbits about agent response times. I write MG, with one novel finished (the full with an agent now--my nerves are shot!) and a second novel nearly complete.

I live with my hubby and two boys in Manila, Philippines. We're on year three of a three-year contract before moving back to the States. Networking/querying/critiquing is a challenge from this part of the world. Thank the stars for the Internet, and this site in particular.

Because I've been living vicariously through other posters, I must thank the many blue boarders for their support and encouraging words!  :) From now on I'll be brave and do some posting of my own.

Warm wishes,
Chrisser
#805 - August 08, 2006, 07:58 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Amanda & Chrisser!

I read THE SECRET HiSTORY years ago.  I couldn't believe how young Tartt was when she wrote it.  Didn't she take a long break from writing?  I like your title: WATER AND HONEY. 
#806 - August 08, 2006, 08:06 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

I read THE SECRET HiSTORY years ago.  I couldn't believe how young Tartt was when she wrote it.  Didn't she take a long break from writing?  I like your title: WATER AND HONEY. 

Thanks!  I plan to turn it into a YA someday.  I just needed to work on other stuff for awhile.

She did take a long break from writing, about 10 years.  Her newest book is "The Little Friend" and . . . well, if you can't say something nice . . .  :-X
#807 - August 08, 2006, 10:42 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

WELCOME to all the new posters!
#808 - August 08, 2006, 07:00 PM

dreams_drawer

Gee.......thanks everyone!

I'll visit this site more often!! :D
#809 - August 10, 2006, 07:44 PM

Grey Malkin

Hi all, newbie here. The site came highly recommended so I thought I'd check it out. It's like smiley heaven in here - look at all those things up there. Best use one quick,  :band

Anyway, I'm from the UK, just been pitching a YA novel out. The full script is with an agent and I'm spending way too much time checking my Inbox in case she gets back to me. Are there many brits in here?

Grey Malkin
#810 - August 14, 2006, 01:28 PM

Members: