SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Grey Malkin

You can see I'm new to smileys - I thought I was just going to get the drummer.  ;D :moose ;D
#811 - August 14, 2006, 01:29 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Not a Brit - but, welcome, Grey.  This is a great place!  (and the smileys are awesome!)   :yup

Julia
#812 - August 14, 2006, 02:03 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Slushpal

Welcome newcomers, I'm new here myself. But the water seems fine!

:laugh:
#813 - August 15, 2006, 08:28 PM

OK. I'll say hello in the right thread this time. As for the faces...
:z:
#814 - August 15, 2006, 09:14 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Hi first time poster....recommended here by Pam Calvert...I appreciate her heads up......I am a retired FBI agent of 20 years, and a cop of another 12....32 in all, if I remember how to add....I published three short stories for children in 1984-1990....thought I would give it a try again, now that I am retired...loving this site so far, except I am becoming hypnotized and dizzy from all of the action above this screen....Aiiiieeeee!  Nice to have met you through these postings.....Skarecrow
#815 - August 16, 2006, 01:53 PM
"Make no mistake about it...a true piece of writing is a dangerous thing. It can change your life."  Tobias Wolfe.

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Skarecrow. Any friend of Pam is a friend of ours!
#816 - August 16, 2006, 05:44 PM

Welcome Skarecrow!  What a fascinating background :police
#817 - August 16, 2006, 05:59 PM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Sloopster

Oh hey, I never did this. My name is Loopie Snood - yes really. I write chapter books and picture books as well as YA. My YAs are published under a pseudonym - no I'm not telling you the pseudonym because that would defeat the purpose of having it wouldn't it? Of course I'm not quite sure what that purpose is I'm trying not to defeat but whatever...

:cuccoan:  :pig :moose :horse <<< just because I like farm animals and yes I know moose aren't generally farm animals but I live in Canada and depending on where you live in Canada you will get moose on your farm. And YES I also know that a broom handle horse is not on a farm unless it's some kind of lazy farmer who doesn't know how to take care of real horses but it's as close as the board has - OKAY?

BTW did I mention I was a bit ummm.... excentric?

Loopie
#818 - August 16, 2006, 06:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Hang on, Slooopy (Loopie), hang on (yeah YEAH yeah YEAH)!
Stick around. I suspect you can teach us kids something or another!

:cuccoan: :cuccoan: :cuccoan: :cuccoan: :cuccoan: :cuccoan:

And welcome to all the other new friends. You've come to the Write Place to talk Writing. {}

:pencil: :dancing: :pencil:

(We dance with pencils here) ;>

-Pamela

#819 - August 16, 2006, 10:33 PM
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:36 PM by WriterRoss »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Guess I should have posted here before.  I'm a one year lurker who moved to Florida where the other writers must be playing on the beach because I can't find them.  I'm a children's librarian, have a book out with Delacorte, a short story in the new Kingfisher Book of Horse and Pony Stories, and other stuff in various magazines.  Love this board!
Becky
#820 - August 20, 2006, 05:46 AM
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 05:49 AM by triaandstar »
TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
SQUISH, SQUASH, SQUISHED, Penguin 2021

Guess I should have posted here before.  I'm a one year lurker who moved to Florida where the other writers must be playing on the beach because I can't find them.  I'm a children's librarian, have a book out with Delacorte, a short story in the new Kingfisher Book of Horse and Pony Stories, and other stuff in various magazines.  Love this board!
Becky

I'm in south Florida, Becky, and I'm a children's librarian in training.  You're not alone. ;)
#821 - August 20, 2006, 06:02 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Becky

And I have shelved your book on our paperback racks many, many times.  I always had to re-shelve it because somebody else would put it under "Kraft" instead of "Rector." :)
#822 - August 20, 2006, 06:06 AM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

I'm in central Florida, Becky, and there are some writers here!  But then, the beach isn't that close to me here.  Maybe you're living in the wrong part of Florida...?  :)
#823 - August 20, 2006, 06:22 AM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm so happy to hear from Florida writers! Hello homies!  :hug1:
 Life on Mars, I'm in central Florida, too--Lakeland!  Acoppedge--thank you for saying you've shelved my book.  Hopefully that means someone has checked it out.  You've both made my day!
#824 - August 20, 2006, 08:01 AM
TRIA AND THE GREAT STAR RESCUE, Delacorte
SQUISH, SQUASH, SQUISHED, Penguin 2021

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi, another newbie! I was prompted to join the boards because I heard that there was a wealth of information here. So far, that's true!

I'm from CT and my first book, Death at Deacon Pond,  will be out next month.

I look forward to chatting with all of you!
#825 - August 20, 2006, 10:14 AM

Welcome to the board, sweetpea. Congratulations on getting your first book published! :)

#826 - August 20, 2006, 05:20 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you, G. R. !
#827 - August 21, 2006, 04:57 AM

Gregor

Greetings from Minnesota! I am a writer and illustrator of picture books, I make my real money working at a manufacturing plant, but if my first book ever sees the light of day and does well maybe it will lead to bigger and brighter things. You can read my tale of woe under the "Response Time - Publishers" topic.  Look for Stemmer House and follow the thread. This is like writing the authors bio for the dust jacket of my book...I haven't really done a damn thing so there's not much to say.  Me and my lovely wife have three wonderful children and we like to keep things pretty crazy around here, everything is in a constant state of chaos it seems. You can veiw my book at www.stemmer.com , you can't actually buy it yet, but you can view it. This all leads back to my tale of woe...  Anyways, I do think someday I will make it, I just need to keep working on my books and plugging along. Hey? Any odder Minnesotans out dere?
"You Betcha Hey!!"
#828 - August 21, 2006, 07:49 PM

SharonP

Welcome!  I am from a much odder place called Alabama where people say y'all and eat spoon bread, but now I am a Southerner living in Connecticut.  The cover art is quite nice! Good luck with your book!       

Sharon
#829 - August 21, 2006, 08:18 PM

Bonnie Shimko

I'm a retired teacher turned young adult novelist.  I'm having a ball.   :D
#830 - August 22, 2006, 03:13 PM

Welcome, Bonnie! :)

#831 - August 23, 2006, 06:20 PM

leafchaser

Salutations, and a pleasant evening to all

I go by the name Leafchaser, a wolf in one of my stories. I have been writing for some time now, though I
am unpublished. I am an antique child who still marvels at the world around me, the clouds, trees, etc. Some years back I took a collage course in childrens litt, and was informed that "White middle class males" have no business writing for children. I was, and am not detered by ignorence. I write of Elves and Faeries, a toade named Thaddeus, and things that I hold dear, morals, ethics, honesty and hope. Well I must be off, leteraly and figuretively.
Your Humble Servant
Leafchaser
#832 - August 25, 2006, 02:01 PM

Welcome to the board, leafchaser. :)

#833 - August 25, 2006, 06:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome!  I am from a much odder place called Alabama where people say y'all and eat spoon bread, but now I am a Southerner living in Connecticut.  The cover art is quite nice! Good luck with your book!       

Sharon

As a lifelong New Englander (CT, too!) I have to admit (with embarassment, of course) that I have no idea what spoon bread is. Forgive my ignorance, but is it a biscuit?
#834 - August 26, 2006, 02:40 PM

gretchenlaskas

I've been cautiously reading my way through the boards and making a few posts here and there.  This is a great site, very informative, and I'm already suggesting it to people who are looking for information about children's writing and publishing.  Thank you, Verla Kay!

My first YA will be published this February -- it's called THE MINER'S DAUGHTER and is set in West Virginia, where my family has lived for eight generations.  As with my adult novel, THE MIDWIFE'S TALE, it incorporates my love of history of any kind -- oral history, family history, local history and just plain history history!

Looking forward to meeting all of you,
Gretchen
#835 - September 08, 2006, 07:25 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hi, Gretchen!  I'm reprehn on SCBWI boards -- how nice to have you here :)
#836 - September 08, 2006, 08:18 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Hi Gretchen!  I remember you from the SCBWI boards, although I don't really post there anymore.  Nice to see you.
#837 - September 08, 2006, 09:37 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

WriterKat

Hi everyone,

I am a regular poster on SCBWI, and came over here a few months ago, looked around, and now am back.  I am a hopeful writer, working on PB's and a self-help book although fiction seems more my bent at the moment. I have numerous rejection letters to prove my commitment to said aspirations.  :band    I also have 2 kids -  4 & 5 yr old and I am a licensed psychotherapist (work part-time). 

I'm currently reading Eats Shoots and Leaves since I have been reminded that my punctuation is irratic and often elusive. 

It's fun reading everyone's posts on the blue boards. It seems like a great community, with some familiar "faces".

Gretchen - your story looks great. My husband is from WV, so I will be anxious to check your book out.  :)

--Anne
#838 - September 08, 2006, 10:04 PM

WriterKat

Yikes..I didn't intend the bad to be quite so huge. I just liked the guitar guy.
#839 - September 08, 2006, 10:08 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Gretchen!

Nice to see you here, too!

Anne Marie
#840 - September 09, 2006, 04:13 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Members: