SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

MamaG

I am originally from Oregon.  Boy do I miss the rain!  A friend of mine, who is also from there, recently went back.  She is such a kind soul, she brought me back some salt water taffey and homemade blackberry jam.  Ahhh, the tastes of home.
#91 - October 23, 2003, 07:54 AM

Cateyes59

Welcome to the board, Rose,
Your message struck a chord with me as I have lived all over the place too. (One of those notorious air force brats!) As you say, it gives us stuff to write about.
I like to write YA stuff as well and am working on an ICL course to write a novel which is a big undertaking with 2 kids and a full time job but I like to suffer!! (Just kidding!) Writing is my passion and keeps me excited about living amidst the sometimes mundaneness of everyday life. Housework and typing just don't do it for me!!
This is a great board. I've only been here a while myself and can feel the comraderie and support of everyone here. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Have fun! :-*

Cathy
#92 - October 23, 2003, 07:58 AM

Myra

Ooh, lookit all the nice Oregonians and former Oregonians. Aren't we lovely?

MamaG, I never knew salt water taffy was an Oregon thing. Isn't it just a beachy thing? Where are you now? To be honest, I miss the rain myself. It hasn't rained enough this fall for my tastes. Two days ago, it was 80 degrees!
#93 - October 23, 2003, 08:47 AM

MamaG

Myra-  Salt water taffey may be a beachey thing but we don't get much of that either here in Colorado!  My favorite place in the world has always been the Oregon coast, especially Cannon Beach.  As a kid we always went and had fresh chowder, walked aound the beach, got taffey and returned to Portland with fresh blackberries (and salmon if grandpa had a good day fishing!!).
I don't know where you are located but we have had 70's -80's here as well, and rarely has it rained since April.
#94 - October 23, 2003, 08:59 AM

Myra

I love Cannon Beach too. We just spent the day there a few weeks ago; it was really lovely.

I'm in Portland, and yes, we are supposed to get lots of rain this time of year. *sigh* It'll come. I should be glad; we're just south of some really dreadful flooding in Washington. Also, raking up dry leaves is more fun than raking up wet leaves.

#95 - October 23, 2003, 09:11 AM

GrandmaChris

I am a product of the Midwest habitat. I am a child of the 50's, teenager of the 60's :girl and a parent since the 70's ;D I am the mother and stepmother to 4 grown children, who have made me a grandmother to 5 grandchildren.
My husband and I live on a century farm acreage established in 1893.  I enjoy gardening, crafting, antiquing, reading and writing children's stories. ;D

Currently I am writing stories about the many animal characters found on the farm and how they survive adventures while writing in a wholesome, non-didactic tone.

#96 - October 27, 2003, 10:27 AM

els

lol!!!!!!!  ToniBME!  I thought you were Toni Buzzeo!  I just stumbled across this thread and realized I was wrong- almost commented on another one of your posts thinking you were her yesterday, and I would have sounded like such an idiot...  Nothing unusual there, I am just trying to cut down on my idiot quota for the week...
#97 - October 27, 2003, 11:20 AM

Trish

Hi everybody.

Some of you may know me from yeller. I post there quite a bit.

I am originally from Texas but live now in Florida. I am a SAHM, homeschooling my 8 yo dd and trying to keep up with my 2 yo son aka the Howler Monkey.

I have always loved to write. I started subbing poems a few years back and now I write poems and short stories.

#98 - October 30, 2003, 11:44 AM

HarleyQuinn

Hi all, I am new to this board. I am also new to the CW list, but already reaping the benefits of some really good advice. I'm 34, live in Georgia with a rambunctious and opinionated son nearing his 3rd birthday...he's my lil inspiration. Hope to get to know alot of you and hopefully learn a little more about the craft of writing for children.
#99 - November 01, 2003, 04:07 PM

Krystal

Sniff, sniff, sniff. Aaah, what have we here?... The scent of new blood, and it flows through the veins of the one named Krystal.

*Krystal grabs a baseball bat and looks around for Creepy Ogre Guy. :EmoticonHelp2: Upon seeing no one, except for her sidekick, a flowing, blue-haired muse, Krystal begins to post. :typing:*

Uh, hi...that was really bizarre! But anyway, my name's Crystal, and I live in the ever-growing state of Anxiety. I'm new to this posting process, but I've been lurking :n for a short time now and have been writing  :writing3:
for far longer--picture books for six years and young adults prior to that. Alas, all of which remain unpublished.

:smoke AAAAAAAAGH!!!

On the bright side, however, those rejection letters are at least evidence that I am trying to pursue my calling...and I have taken a creative writing course at a local community college. In fact, it will probably take the Grim Reaper or that Creepy Ogre Guy to stop me! :yup But anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I've spent some time lurking around this board, just sitting there idly and watching as you all had the fun. Today, though, I snapped (which is hardly a first for me). I couldn't contain myself from posting any longer! It was like watching kids play with a super fantastic toy that made me sooo envious!

Well...that's pretty much all I have to say for now, except for thanks for such an informative and entertaining board Verla and Douglas and all who
post. :lov:

Wishes and kisses,

Krystal
#100 - November 11, 2003, 04:21 PM

Lorraine

Welcome Krystal!  Glad you delurked and are joining in.   :yup  No ogres here!  
#101 - November 11, 2003, 07:33 PM

els

ha! that's what you think, Lorraine... mwahahahaha

Welcome HarleyQuinn and Krystal!
#102 - November 12, 2003, 09:14 AM

Krystal

Thanks for the welcomes, Lorraine and els. I didn't realize there was more than one ogre prowling around this board!  :eek5: What next...the bogeyman?  :faint: Good, perhaps he can teach me how to dance--I have about as many moves as a statue!

Kisses and wishes,  :lov:

Krystal

:devil: :yup I plead guilty to smilie overkill! :n :death:
#103 - November 14, 2003, 09:20 PM
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 01:38 PM by Krystal »

Cana

Hi all!  I'm Cana.  Found yella first this summer.  It was such a wonderful jolt  :o to the writing juices...then it crashed.  It's back up, as you know, but not nearly as busy as this summer.  Now I know why!  Everybody's over here! This site looks fun to use but since I'm almost computer illiterate, it's a little intimidating.  But I'll figure it out.  My husband and kids are SOOOOO thrilled I've found yet another toy to play with.  I can just hear the unison sighs when they hear the creak of the computer chair as I belt myself in for the evening.  I'm having a ball.  I'm really ready to find critique partners.  Now that I'm a member here, I'll be checking that out.  Happy writing all!
#104 - November 15, 2003, 05:42 AM

carol2u_2004

Welcome Cana...I am a relatively new member as well. Just  :jump in where ever you feel like it, that's what I do.
#105 - November 15, 2003, 08:07 AM

HarleyGirl

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!
Welcome to all newbies!  We are glad to have you here!

I'll be seeing you around the board.  Have fun.

HG
#106 - November 16, 2003, 06:35 AM

words4kids

Welcome All.  So glad to have you.  Post away now!
#107 - November 16, 2003, 07:39 PM

TaraGwen

Hello, all! Newbie on this forum so I figured this thread  is a good place for me to join in since we're talking about ourselves, and I'm good at that(so my husband says). First of all, I am just getting my feet wet in this writing business--I'm 34 so I'm a late bloomer I guess. I bought the new edition of CWIM and have been scouring the internet for all the info I can find. It's so exciting!
I'm a southern girl from Louisiana who leared how to cook from my Mamaw....not quite as good but darn near close! And good stuff,too, like etouffee, jambalaya, red beans & rice, fried catfish,etc. I married my college sweetheart 13 years ago and have two precious boys, Troy and Mitchell(which, by the way and referring to the "favorite names" thread, had they been girls would be Miranda Leigh and Olivia Grace). I love snowskiing, volleyball, oil painting, drawing,scrapbooking, arts&crafts, coloring in colorbooks with my 4-year old(yeah, you heard right, I'm not ashamed), watching my 7-year old play soccer and basketball, and snuggling with my hubby, Keith.
I sympathize with words4kids, chocolate is heaven on earth. And, by the way, it IS a food group....since chocolate comes from cocoa, cocoa comes from a bean, a bean is a vegetable, vegetables are one of our food groups therefore.....chocolate is a vegetable!
My favorite people are my children, husband, my Dad(awesome man), my Mamaw, my mother-in-law(it's okay, I'm sane...she's amazing) and I loved Princess Diana. She was the epitome of a true princess and humanitarian, in my opinion.
Since I'm a newbie, and I mean REALLY new, I barely have anything written in my little notebook, but I have a few ideas. The one I'm currently working on now is a book for young readers about a funny little hermit crab named Shelby, who woke up one morning not so cheery anymore. She's a crabby crab and she's trying to figure out why. My boys and I have pet hermit crabs and we are in love with them so they are our inspiration.  Anyway, I will keep writing, keep reading, keep drawing, and keep hoping and dreaming!

Thanks for taking half your morning to read my post.  :writing3:Nice to meet y'all!

#108 - November 20, 2003, 07:42 AM
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 09:44 AM by TaraGwen »

raggmopp

:)  Hi Donna J.

My name is Jan E. and I have just decided in the last month or so to be a childrens bookwriter/illustrator. I am feeling a little lost out here by myself and would appreciate any communication what-so-ever with a fellow creator.  
      I have strarted the first draft of my book, inspired by my dog, and I am already having fun! I have been researching the " how to get published" part for the last few days and stubbled upon this sight.
      I look forward to hearing from you or anyone else out there that wants to reply    :-*
#109 - November 23, 2003, 06:51 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Welcome Everyone.

You've come to the right place.  :yup  We have a GREAT group :balloongroup: here, with exceptionally wonderful talented writers :typing: and illustrators :artist:, and they are all so great about sharing and caring  :angel!  

Jump :jump into the discussions in progress and start a few of your own. :sb You'll find lots of support :hug: and help  :writing3:- and we have a lot of fun here, too.   :dr
#110 - November 23, 2003, 09:29 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Jaina

Welcome, Raggmopp (can't see your name without singing the song... R-A-G-G-M-O-P-P Raggmopp!  Okay, now I've got it out of my system).  

I read your other post in the "Good News" section.  Don't be lonely, don't be frightened!  Feel free to ask questions or share frustrations.  Glad you're enjoying working on your first book--that's the most important thing, I think!  Have fun with it and with learning about the process.  I know this is the most fun I've ever had working.   ;D
#111 - November 23, 2003, 09:33 AM

HarleyGirl

Welcome Raggmopp and TaraGwen!!

I know you will have lots of fun on this board. ;D
#112 - November 23, 2003, 04:37 PM

Emily

Hi Everyone!  I am a newbie here.  I have lurked around here a few times, but this is my first time posting!

I have been writing for kids now for about 1 year.  I write mainly in rhyme.. I know I know...I can hear the groans now.....lol...but I think I do it well, so I will continue to plug away at it.  I just signed with an agent not that long ago...so hopefully he will get some stuff sold for me!  I am looking forward to getting to know all of you...there really is a wealth of information of this board!  Nice to meet you all...

Oh, in case you were wondering, I am a 25 year old stay at home mom in Sioux City, Iowa...brrrr...winter has arrived here!
#113 - November 26, 2003, 04:27 PM

raggmopp

Hi Emily,
My name is Jan and I have been writing my first childrens picture book for about three weeks now.  Not only am I writing it, I am also illustrating it.
Congratulations on getting yourself an agent.  I am just reading about   how a person gets on    ::)  I hope you come to the nightly chat sessions.  
Best of luch to you Emily   :-*
#114 - November 26, 2003, 04:55 PM

MamaG

I have been out of the loop for a while (bad computer, bad, bad, bad    :mad4:).

Welcome to all the newcomers!!

btw Verla...LOVE the Santas!! :)
#115 - November 30, 2003, 02:03 PM

sallyj

Hi everyone.  I was thrilled to learn of this website (thanks for the tip donnaj!) what a great resource.  Verla Kay, I am in awe of what you have done!

I currently live in Ohio where I am working on writing picture books when time permits.    I am waiting to hear about one that I have mailed to an editor(after years of writing and NOT mailing!)

I look forward to reading everything on the site and soaking up pearls of wisdom from all of you.

SallyJ
#116 - December 02, 2003, 09:51 AM

carol2u_2004

::) Welcome to the boards Sallyj  ::)
#117 - December 02, 2003, 10:04 AM

sallyj

Thanks,boy that was quick.  I think I am going to like this site!

SallyJ
#118 - December 02, 2003, 10:26 AM

MamaG

Hi Sally!
Come on in and get comfey!
#119 - December 02, 2003, 12:08 PM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
Welcome, Sally!  
#120 - December 02, 2003, 02:37 PM

Members: