Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Howdy Carrie!  Welcome to the blue boards  ;D
#931 - November 25, 2006, 01:22 PM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

M W McKen47

Thanks to all of you for welcoming me.  I'm really excited about this board and feel that it will help me in my writing of children's books and finding publishers for them. :pencil: :study :angel :love

Marion
#932 - November 25, 2006, 06:50 PM

M W McKen47

Sorry, I had already posted on this subject.  Please disregard.
#933 - November 25, 2006, 07:05 PM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
I've been Jen on the yella and was jen on the live chat until the chat decided it hated me enough to change my name to "slacker" every time I signed in, so now I'm jen_ (clever, huh?  Sadly, it took me about a week to come up with that solution)

I'm youngish and write primarily MG and YA contemporary fantasy, usually not too heavy on the fantastical elements end...

Wow- reading over the early entries on this thread is such a blast to the past.  Can you believe this thread has been going for over three years?  It's so funny to go back and read the very earliest introductions...
#934 - November 26, 2006, 09:20 AM

Jaina

I try not to read my old posts, Jen.  I don't even agree with what I wrote two hours ago, so I definitely don't want to read what I wrote three years ago!  But yeah, it is very strange to look at the dates on some of these!
#935 - November 26, 2006, 11:43 AM

Greetings,
 I'm a new member. My name is Larry and I am an elementary school principal in Orangefield, Texas (go west and end up in Louisiana, go south and get wet in the Gulf of Mexico). Hurricane Rita visited us last year. My favorite areas are middle-grade and YA, but love picture books as well. I've been soooo close to publication/acceptance by notable agents. I write because I can't imagine not writing. I'm still submitting to agents who handle my type of material. Seems to be the best way to bypass the slush pile. I'm always happy to receive comments and/or feedback.

Happy writing!
#936 - November 27, 2006, 02:35 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Larry - this is a great place to be!   :yup

Julia
#937 - November 27, 2006, 02:44 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Ouch! Guess geography wasn't my best subject! Actually Louisiana is EAST of where I live. Any fans of the Preditors and Editors site out there?

Have a great day!
#938 - November 28, 2006, 07:23 AM

I know the points of the compass in real life, but for some reason, east and west on paper (or ether) trip me up every time.  Welcome, Principal Larry, and good luck with your writing!
#939 - November 28, 2006, 07:27 AM
http://stephanielreed.com

"If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

Member.
Poster Plus
Welcome, Larry! I think you'll find this board to be very supportive.
#940 - November 28, 2006, 08:56 AM

Wordbender

Welcome Larry!
#941 - November 28, 2006, 11:36 AM

Poster Plus
Hi All, I'm new at posting but not at lurking. I've finished one contemporary MG and started another. I've been writing in one way or another most of my adult life (journalism, English teacher, freelance writer), but I finally decided to take the plunge and write a novel last year. I've never felt so happy, even getting chapters shredded in critique groups and wrestling with the rewrites. I'm so grateful to have this board, so I'm not as lonely here in the basement while my preschooler is away a few hours. I started querying and building my rejection collection a month ago, and it's making me weak in the knees. But I'm forging ahead. On to my next query!  :paper:
#942 - November 29, 2006, 08:49 AM

Jaina

Welcome, BrrendaO!  Sounds like you've entered the big brave world of working writerdom, for sure.  I also write MGs and teach English and have a preschooler, but I'm not so fond of wrestling with rewrites--sigh.  Have a great time looking around the board!
#943 - November 29, 2006, 11:10 AM

Wordbender

Hi Brendao,

Best of luck with the submission process! 

- Anne
#944 - November 29, 2006, 01:27 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Brendao - good luck with your submissions!

Julia :writing3:
#945 - November 29, 2006, 01:43 PM

Caffeine, please!
Poster Plus
Thank you all for the lovely greetings. :)

And welcome Larry and Brendao!
#946 - December 05, 2006, 06:43 PM

Bish

Welcome Larry & Brendao(and all the other's I've missed). As a still new board member I'm still learning my way around and have already gotten some wonderful advise.

Stef, FYI...on paper, west is always your left hand, east is always your right. :confused2: Took me a while to get it too.
I know the points of the compass in real life, but for some reason, east and west on paper (or ether) trip me up every time.  Welcome, Principal Larry, and good luck with your writing!
#947 - December 06, 2006, 05:42 AM

Stef, FYI...on paper, west is always your left hand, east is always your right. :confused2: Took me a while to get it too.

:o  But what if I'm facing south?????  I guess I meant that I know the directions in my head, but somehow it gets switched around before it gets written on paper.  I will keep your tip in mind when I'm reading a map and there's no compass rose, though!  Thanks, Bish!
#948 - December 06, 2006, 06:11 AM
http://stephanielreed.com

"If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

mpoet

Hello, everyone....
I have been lurking and learning so much from this site.  What a positive and encouraging community!  My name is Mary and I live on Cape Cod in Massachusetts.  I divide my time between teaching and writing. I love to write poetry for children, and my poems have been published in Ladybug Magazine, in an anthology, and with an on-line educational publisher.  I also enjoy writing for adults; I write commentaries about education for our local NPR station, and the occasional article for a local parenting newspaper.  It's great to be here.
#949 - December 06, 2006, 10:53 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
welcome mpoet - it is a great place!   :yup

Julia
#950 - December 06, 2006, 10:55 AM

celiason

Welcome Mary,

This IS a great site and has a wealth of resources ---mostly in the wonderful people that are here!

They are very knowledgable and supportive!

ME :lov:
#952 - December 11, 2006, 01:48 PM

Howdy all! I am a newbie here, but have been dragged through the rejection shredder for a number of years now. My first book, YA memoir - very serious and deep, had a wonderful agent and many close calls with publishers as well as enough rewrites and rejections for me to finally bury it and part ways with wonderful agent. I also had a PB accepted by an editor at a smallish house that reshuffled before my contract was signed. I had to un-tell everyone about my book deal when the new regime decided to pass.  :eek5:
I'm now in the process of revising a YA chick lit novel that has had some interest from agents, but no offers as of yet. After years of dealing with the very personal connection I had to my memoir, writing fiction has been so fun and freeing and I hope to write more of it. (Two agents have mentioned my new book's sequel potential - but let's not get ahead of ourselves, right?  ;) )
Anyway, I have to say, I came to this board feeling tired and alone and am so encouraged by the support here. :hug1:
Thank you to all of you.  :balloongroup:
#953 - December 11, 2006, 07:46 PM
BLAZE, REAL PROM QUEENS OF WESTFIELD HIGH, GRAFFITI GIRL / Sourcebooks 2013, 2014, 2017
ADRENALINE CRUSH / FSG 2014, SqFish 2016
lboylecrompton.com

Welcome, YAchicka! You'll love this place.   Sounds as though you've made the rounds and taken your lumps (sorry for the cliche's! ::) )  That's great that you've had so much interest.  Good luck! 
#954 - December 11, 2006, 08:38 PM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Janniel

Hi everyone.

I'm another newbie in this field, although if you want to read boring articles on computers and enterprise software, I have a few I can send you.

I was here, yesterday, doing the happy dance on one of the other forums, celebrating some of the members' good news. And now, I read YAchicka's story and feel like crying myself. What chance do I have when someone such obvious talent can't crack the code.

YAchicka, a friend of mine who is a published author says he wrote his memoirs first, just to get himself out of the way so he could write the rest of his books.  Keep plugging away and one day there will be publishers begging for your more personal story!

Now I am off to post a request for help. If any of you have time to answer, I'm sure Santa will give you special credits this year!

TIA,
Jan

#955 - December 20, 2006, 01:39 PM

Kitty B

Hi Jan. Welcome to the blue board. First bit of advice, Don't compare yourself to anyone else.  If the visual and performing arts had anything to do with talent, Brittany Spears would still be living in a broken down trailer.  In writing more than any other art form it is about perserverance.  It is also about learning and pushing yourself to a higher standard of writing with each word you write. If you get published along the way that's great. I feel like that is secondary to communicating with and inspiring or entertaining your readers. I think I might even take my own advice.  :horse
#956 - December 20, 2006, 03:26 PM

Hi Jan,
I like that about getting the memoir out of the way - and I'm sorry if I painted a bleak picture. I'm honesly still in love with this craft and process and couldn't imagine anything else this satisfying. Publishing would be a nice bonus, but I feel great about how much I've grown as a writer through all my ups and downs.
Everyone's path is different, but we must never never never give up.  :horse :horse :horse
#957 - December 20, 2006, 07:41 PM
BLAZE, REAL PROM QUEENS OF WESTFIELD HIGH, GRAFFITI GIRL / Sourcebooks 2013, 2014, 2017
ADRENALINE CRUSH / FSG 2014, SqFish 2016
lboylecrompton.com

CJRay

Hi everyone!!

I am a newbie as well, and I must say that I am so excited about having a place to come where I know that there are others who will understand.

My name is Cherie, and I am a "working my bum bum off to get published" author just as many of ya'll.  I am also a homeschooling mother of two, and assist my husband with ministry and life coaching, which tends to keep me busy as well.

I write YA fiction, and following a disturbing situation with a subsidy publisher (who wasn't completely upfront about being so, or maybe I was just naive  :faint:), I have found myself thrown into the realms of the quest for the ever elusive literary agent. This place has been a total God-send for me because I was really feeling down and all by myself.  The writing life can feel lonely at times, and it has been soooooo refreshing to hear the encouraging words that you guys give each other, as well as the pats on the back when something great happens.  Thanks!

Write on!
CJ
#958 - December 26, 2006, 09:12 AM

Wordbender

Welcome CJ!  I think you'll find you have signed on at a good time.  Things should really start picking up after the first of the year as everyone begins subbing again and getting their writing houses in order once more.   :)  - Anne
#959 - December 26, 2006, 09:42 AM

CJRay

Thank you Anne.   :D
#960 - December 27, 2006, 03:48 PM

Members: