SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

mpoet

Welcome, CJ.  I'm pretty new around here, too, and I learn so much from reading all these wonderful posts!  As a teacher, I'm totally impressed that you have the time and discipline to homeschool your children AND write!  Wow.
#961 - December 29, 2006, 03:31 PM

CJRay

Welcome MPoet!

Thanks for your response, but don't be too impressed, as it (homeschooling and writing) hasn't been without its challenges.  It's like with any other occupation.  Making the time to write while juggling a hectic schedule is the dilemma of many.  It also helps me now that we have been homeschooling for eight years, and have found our rythym.  Things have settled in quite a bit now that the girls are older.  But, there are still occasions when the house looks as if it has thrown up  :feelbad: and the washing machine is crying out, "Feed me, Seymour!"  And, then there are the times that I have to put the sign on my doorknob that says, "Shhh! Mom's working on your college tuition!"  :typing:

CJ  :)
#962 - December 29, 2006, 03:55 PM

mpoet

YAChicka, I just had to respond to your post because I think your graphic (avatar?) is the funniest.  It gives me a chuckle each time I see it.  You write for older kids, I write for younger kids... but we're both pretty new to this board.  Thanks for the chuckle, and good luck with your writing. 
#963 - January 01, 2007, 06:08 PM

Thank you - the picture helps alleviate the guilt radiating from the piles of dirty laundry surrounding my desk.
 :writing3:
#964 - January 02, 2007, 06:00 AM
BLAZE, REAL PROM QUEENS OF WESTFIELD HIGH, GRAFFITI GIRL / Sourcebooks 2013, 2014, 2017
ADRENALINE CRUSH / FSG 2014, SqFish 2016
lboylecrompton.com

CJRay

I'm so glad to know that my laundry room isn't the only one that looks like it has thrown up on itself.  :feelbad:  I feel so much better now!  :dancing:
CJ
#965 - January 02, 2007, 07:17 AM

Gerri

* Hi,

This is a wonderful online community and many thanks to everyone for keeping the discussions ongoing.  I've been a lurker for several months and have learned so much from all of you.  Recently, I finally got the guts to start posting.

Well, I've been writing young adult contemporary and historical fiction for many years, with the neverending hope of having my first book published.  I'm also a member of SCBWI.  While continuing with the ups and downs of writing I've realized that I can't go on much longer without reaching out to others.  For a long time I figured I really didn't have much to offer, let alone enough expertise to give any advice.  But, everyone's willingness to share their experiences has helped me try to get over my shyness as well as to make the effort to be just as open and helpful.  Actually, it took a lot for me to share my latest disappointment in the That Stinks! thread, under No Longer About to Be Published.  Everyone's supportive comments have touched me deeply and made me understand that a writer can't travel on the rocky road to publication in isolation.  So, I look forward to continuing on with discussions here. 

* Best wishes to all of you for many successes, Gerri

#966 - January 02, 2007, 12:07 PM

CJRay

Welcome Gerri!

So glad you've joined the group, and that you've begun posting.  I'm new as well, and really appreciate having this place to come to.  Have a great New Year full of writing success!  :writing3:

CJ  :laugh:
#967 - January 02, 2007, 03:22 PM

Gerri

* Thank you, Cherie!  May the New Year be productive and fruitful to you also! 

Greetings and good wishes to everybody else too. * Gerri 
#968 - January 02, 2007, 06:26 PM

mpoet

Welcome, Gerri.  I feel as you do-- that writing can feel very isolating, and it helps to have a community of people who share the same passion!  I'm pretty new here, too, and I get very inspired by all the energy of this writing community.
#969 - January 02, 2007, 07:47 PM

Poster Plus
I posted a few times already, but I just recently saw this thread and I figured I'd introduce myself. Some of you may know me from Backspace or Critique Circle. I'm currently shopping my edgy YA novel, Premature Evacuation. I had some close calls in representation, but I'm still searching. Check out the first chapter here: http://www.prematureevacuation.com

Aside from that, I have two other WIPs, both in ugly first draft stage. One is a sweet YA novel targeted at a younger audience than PremEvac, and the other is women's fiction.

My short story, Apathy, has been published in the January 2007 issue of The Deepening. It's literary, and definately not suitable for YA/children's.

I'm twenty-five and live just outside NYC. I'm a computer animator working on the superbowl graphics for my day job. I've also done compositing and animation on children's movies such as The Barbie Diaries.
#970 - January 03, 2007, 08:15 AM

CJRay

Welcome aboard!  :jump  This is a GREAT place.  You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
CJ
#971 - January 03, 2007, 09:44 AM

Gerri

* Thanks, mpoet.  Newcomer greetings to you too.

Shana, welcome also.  Interesting book premise and chapter.  Thanks for sharing.

* Gerri
#972 - January 03, 2007, 01:11 PM

mpoet

Welcome, Shana.  You sound like a very productive writer.... and your day job sounds pretty fun, too!
#973 - January 03, 2007, 05:35 PM

Poster Plus
Thanks everyone! Glad to be here.

Day job is fun...but if you think writing requires a lot of revisions, you definately don't want to go into broadcast graphics!
#974 - January 04, 2007, 12:32 PM

AnneWritesYA

Welcome, Shana! This is a great source of support and info and fun! Sounds like you have a cool day job...my daughters enjoyed the Barbie Diaries!
#975 - January 04, 2007, 08:39 PM

Rhonda

Well, I guess I can post an introduction, eh?  :D

Hi, all.  I'm Rhonda, and I'm currently writing my second YA - it's a paranormal chick lit, like my first one is (that one I'm using to try to find an agent).

I have a Master's degree in English, and I work as an editor for a legal publishing company.  I also do freelance editing and offer grammar/self-editing workshops.

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this forum and joined recently so I could participate.

Thanks for having me!

Rhonda
#976 - January 05, 2007, 05:40 AM

Toothpaste

And I guess I too will introduce myself!  I'm Adrienne and I am currently working on my second MG with my first one due to be published this fall.  I've been lurking about this forum for months, but I thought I just needed to join now.  May I just say I love the emoticons available here!  They are so cute!  I think this one is my favourite:  :hug:
#977 - January 05, 2007, 08:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hi Adrienne, I've read your posts at the Water Cooler, I think, unless there are two Toothpastes out there.

:hug: This one is my favorite too although I rarely see anyone use it.

Welcome to the board! There's lots of great folks here.

Jennifer
#978 - January 05, 2007, 09:18 AM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

jeanclaude hoppair

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to say hello. All of you are so helpful and encouraging, quite a bit different from some other writing sites.

I have some questions about choosing an editor to look over a manuscript. Would someone tell me the best place to post those questions?

Thanks,
Jean-Claude
#979 - January 05, 2007, 09:58 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Welcome Jean-Claude!

Robin Friedman at www.robinfriedman.com has a list of great interviews with editors that you might find helpful. Also, if you do a search on this board for an editor's name or a pub house name you might find what you're looking for. If not, just start a thread and ask your question. Even if your question isn't about response times, I think the Publishers category would be the best place.

I hope you get your answers!

Jennifer
#980 - January 05, 2007, 10:18 AM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

CJRay

Welcome Adrienne and Jean-Claude!   :jump  This is a terrific place.  Everyone here is very helpful.  Enjoy!  Adrienne, this one's for you... :hug: just because you like it so much!
CJ
#981 - January 05, 2007, 10:29 AM

mpoet

Welcome, Adrienne and Jean-Claude.  I'm sure you will find so much information and support here!
#982 - January 05, 2007, 11:13 AM

madlibjen

Boy, am I ever glad I stumbled upon this group! Like a lot of the other newbies, I've been a lurking sponge for the past couple of weeks, soaking it all up.

I've written one adult novel, which I chose not to submit and a YA novel (14 and up), which I'm currently shopping around. (I'm still in that delirious, honeymoon phase of lots of requested partials but no word back yet. Hard to gear up for those prospective rejections, no matter what you tell yourself.)

My day job is young adult librarian, so I'm in a good place to study the genre - I have to read and review a LOT of YA. (Poor me, right? It's a lot of fun.)

Glad to join you all.

- madlibjen
#983 - January 08, 2007, 02:10 PM

mpoet

Welcome, madlibjen.  You really are in a great position to study your genre as a librarian!  Do you ever read the Fuse #8 blog, written by a librarian about children's lit?  It's one of my favorite sites.  I also like the photo you have there.... is it Paris?
#984 - January 08, 2007, 03:39 PM

madlibjen

Hi mpoet -

Thanks for the welcome. I had never heard of Fuse #8, so thanks for that. (I just popped over to check it out and and was immediately ready to respond to today's post, disagreeing with her about Burnett's greatest book. I'd vote for A Little Princess myself. ;)

And yes, that is indeed Paris. My husband took the picture after we climbed up Notre Dame's many stairs to hang out with the gargoyles. Sigh. Is it possible to be homesick for a trip?

-madlibjen
#985 - January 08, 2007, 03:47 PM

Goodness, I hope so!  I'm homesick for my vacation to Toronto all the time!

Being a YA librarian sounds like a really fun job.  Good luck with your partials and welcome to Verla's!
#986 - January 08, 2007, 03:53 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

mpoet

Madlibjen, I also feel homesick for Paris, which I visited just once.  My family did a home exchange.  The Parisian family came and spent a month in our house, and we went and lived in their apartment for a month!  We could buy lovely baguettes and cheese and produce and pretend we lived there.  So yes, I identify with your homesick comment!   :love
--Mary
#987 - January 08, 2007, 06:46 PM

momadigan

I posted a few times already, but I just recently saw this thread and I figured I'd introduce myself. Some of you may know me from Backspace or Critique Circle. I'm currently shopping my edgy YA novel, Premature Evacuation. I had some close calls in representation, but I'm still searching. Check out the first chapter here: http://www.prematureevacuation.com

Best. Title. Ever.
#988 - January 11, 2007, 06:19 AM

momadigan

Helloooo -

Reporting for duty, writing comrades!

I'm still figuring out the boards and all the threads. I didn't realize the "Introduce Yourself" topic was here until recently. (Thanks, Dot!)

I write YA and MG ... so far, for my own amusement.  :D

I have a YA at an agent, awaiting her decision on whether or not to represent me. She's asked for two rounds of revisions, so I'm really hoping that the final answer will be YES.  :writing3: If it's not ... well, you'll hear my cry of agony no matter where you live.  ;)

I'm currently revising another YA - one that I wrote a couple of years ago - I set it aside after it received several rejections. But I still like it, so I'm back at work on it.

I've kept a LiveJournal blog for a couple of years, and I recognize some of the names here from that community.

Time for me to get ready for work, so I'll see you later -

Lisa
(aka Mo)

#989 - January 11, 2007, 06:33 AM

Jaina

Welcome!  I love the "iLucy" avatar!  I used to get called Lucy in college . . . I guess because I was dark-haired and crabby! :)

iJaina
#990 - January 11, 2007, 06:52 AM

Members: