SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

CJRay

Welcome Lisa!  Glad you're here!  :dancing:
#991 - January 11, 2007, 07:03 AM

Good to see a familiar face from LJ in another familiar place, Lisa!!  (I never knew your name was Lisa until now, either...   :))
#992 - January 11, 2007, 08:28 AM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

momadigan

Welcome!  I love the "iLucy" avatar!  I used to get called Lucy in college . . . I guess because I was dark-haired and crabby! :)

iJaina

Hee! And I love your busy penguin.

:D
#993 - January 11, 2007, 07:29 PM

momadigan

Welcome Lisa!  Glad you're here!  :dancing:
Thanks!!
 :books:
#994 - January 11, 2007, 07:31 PM

momadigan

Good to see a familiar face from LJ in another familiar place, Lisa!!  (I never knew your name was Lisa until now, either...   :))

Really?

I've mentioned it occasionally.

I guess you're not parsing and dissecting each and every one of my precious posts!
 :o
#995 - January 11, 2007, 07:34 PM

It might also be because I am SO bad with names...it's not even funny...when I worked at Sears, I used to take the excess from my register to this girl at the office every day and I didn't remember her name for like, a year!
#996 - January 11, 2007, 08:18 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

I'm the worst at names!
I'll ask people what their name is - and then not even listen to their answer. Then we'll be talking and the whole time I'm thinking, "I can't believe I still don't know their name."
This is why I have no friends (she tells herself consolingly).
 :hug1:
#997 - January 12, 2007, 04:35 AM
BLAZE, REAL PROM QUEENS OF WESTFIELD HIGH, GRAFFITI GIRL / Sourcebooks 2013, 2014, 2017
ADRENALINE CRUSH / FSG 2014, SqFish 2016
lboylecrompton.com

Jaina

LOL.  I always say I could be trapped on an elevator with someone for five hours and the next day they could say "Hi!" and I'd give them this blank stare.  "Have we met?"

I'm terrible with names and faces.  Right now I'm trying to learn three classes full of Jeffs, Matst, Ashleys, Marks, and Whitneys.  I can tell the Ashleys and Whitneys from the Jeffs and Matts, at least.  By the end of the semester, I'll know them all and then when I see them next semester, I won't have any idea who they are.  One of my students from last semester (that was just weeks ago) just stopped me in the hall yesterday and I smiled and held a conversation and felt terrible that her place in my head has been taken!  NO idea what her name was.  It's like a disease.
#998 - January 12, 2007, 04:49 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi, my name is Laurie and I currently live near Heidelberg, Germany.  I've been writing poetry and essay for about six years, and children's picture books for the last few years.  Just found this board, and can't wait to read more!  Since I spent my early years in Burundi, Africa, I write a lot on multicultural themes.  That's our corgi, Murphy, in the photo.
#999 - January 13, 2007, 10:02 AM
"Writing is making sense of life."  --  Nadine Gordimer

http://www.africakidandtheworld.blogspot.com/

CJRay

Great to have you aboard!  Isn't it cool how the web unites us from all over the world?  I just love that!   ;D

CJ
#1000 - January 13, 2007, 11:10 AM

Wordbender

Hi all you new people.  Welcome aboard.  And if you get a chance, check out the "May I ask a personal question" thread under "Other Stuff" so we can learn even more about you.   :yup
#1001 - January 13, 2007, 11:32 AM

Jaina

Murphy sure is cute!  I love corgis.  Welcome, Laurie!
#1002 - January 13, 2007, 01:04 PM

momadigan

Hi, my name is Laurie and I currently live near Heidelberg, Germany.  I've been writing poetry and essay for about six years, and children's picture books for the last few years.  Just found this board, and can't wait to read more!  Since I spent my early years in Burundi, Africa, I write a lot on multicultural themes.  That's our corgi, Murphy, in the photo.

Hi, Laurie!

Welcome, from another newbie. I already love it here - I'll bet you will, too.
#1003 - January 13, 2007, 01:23 PM

RJ_Anderson

Well, I've been posting on this board off and on for a few weeks now, but I guess it's time to take the plunge...

I wrote my first novel, an embarrassing Mary-Sueriffic epic fantasy/SF crossover, in 1989. I've heard it said that every writer has to get one bad novel out of their system as part of the learning process -- well, that was mine.

My second novel, a contemporary fantasy, was written in 1994, and almost got picked up by a major publisher, but after two more years of back-and-forth the "money people" said no. I sent a query and partial to my second-favorite publisher, and they sent me a form rejection a year later. I got discouraged -- more by the long wait time between responses than by the rejections themselves -- and turned my hand to writing and posting stories online, purely for personal pleasure and the joy of feedback. This kept me busy and somewhat contented, but I kept thinking wistfully of the Contract That Might Have Been... and eventually I came back to that second novel, polished it up, and sent it out again.

As of December 2006, I've sent out my contemporary fantasy (now a YA contemporary fantasy -- a change which took only a slight mental adjustment on my part, and very little change to the actual manuscript) to an editor and two agents who expressed an interest in the full ms. I've done two rounds of revisions with this editor -- though no contract as yet -- and I'm hoping that third time's the charm...

While I wait, I'm working on my third novel. I'm trying to change my sloppy muse-driven writing habits and make my creative process more efficient by outlining in advance -- something I've never done before. I'm currently on Day Six of Karen Wiesner's 30-day process for writing a first draft/outline, and am incorporating bits and pieces of the Snowflake Method along the way. I've come up with an opening paragraph/hook I'm enormously pleased with; now I just have to write the next 80,000 or so words to follow it...
#1004 - January 13, 2007, 01:49 PM

Welcome, RJ! :) Congratulations on getting that first book published (even though you didn't think it was very good), and good luck with your second and third ones.

#1005 - January 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

RJ_Anderson

Oh, I didn't get my first novel published, believe me! It was unpublishable. When I said bad I meant really really bad:)

No, I am still waiting and hoping to be published one day.
#1006 - January 13, 2007, 06:37 PM

treading water

Hello to all.

I am a newbie that has been lurking for several weeks before finally taking the plunge.  I have learned so much from these boards already. 

I have written a MG novel and a historical fiction pb that I am shopping, with no luck so far.
#1007 - January 14, 2007, 03:05 PM

CJRay

Welcome RJ and Treading Water!  Nice to meet ya!  ;D

CJ
#1008 - January 14, 2007, 04:03 PM

Welcome, treading water. Hope you have fun posting here! ;D

Oh, I didn't get my first novel published, believe me! It was unpublishable. When I said bad I meant really really bad:)

No, I am still waiting and hoping to be published one day.

Oh, okay.  :-[ Well, I hope you have better luck with your second and third ones. :)

#1009 - January 14, 2007, 06:27 PM

Joseph Kelly

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a few months and everyone is so helpful and friendly I knew that I had to join.  I'm enjoying my newly acquired passion for writing PB.  I believe my ideas to be very solid and creative but my writing is underwhelming and novice at best.  I hope to grow as a writer and this seems like the best place I can do that.

My old creative outlet was singing/songwriting (not for children  :band) but since I've found my own kind of personal well being and happiness I've lost the muse.

I look forward to meeting you all and thank you for the future help  :)

Joe
#1010 - January 16, 2007, 12:04 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Joe - it's a great place to be!   :yup

Julia
#1011 - January 16, 2007, 12:07 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

lizzie

I just found this thread. Wondered where I could introduce myself, so here I am. Finally!  I go by different user names on different writer's sites. Whatever strikes me at the moment of registering. I'm known by the user name "Stormie" on the Absolute Write Water Cooler boards, where I post quite a lot. When I registered here, I chose "Lizzie" just because.  :confused2

I write short stories--mysteries, horror, romance; humorous poems (because I basically can't write poetry and my poems end up being humorous); I have a YA book published by a small publishing house, and a MG novel in the hands of my agent, currently making the rounds of publishing houses. I also write a lot of articles and essays.

Anyway, hi all, and glad to be here!

#1012 - January 16, 2007, 04:47 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
welcome Lizzie (name of my MC's best friend in my WIP) - I like Stormie, too! 
#1013 - January 16, 2007, 04:50 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

CJRay

Welcome Stormie!  Nice to have you!  :dancing:
#1014 - January 16, 2007, 04:53 PM

alligan

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to ALL of this, so bear with the inexperience please.

I'm Allie, I'm a junior in college, Professional Writing major and Performance/Acting minor. I went into school hoping to come out a children's writer, but I'm finding myself possibly leaning more towards YA...luckily for me I'm taking a course in Children's Literature to help me decide or at least get my bearings. My professor listed this site on her syllabus as an interesting/informative place to check out and hence I am here. Hopefully I won't be a lurker, although I tend to lean in that direction.

Thank you in advance for all the wonderful advice just sitting here waiting for me to stumble upon it and who knows, maybe I'll be helpful!  ;)
#1015 - January 16, 2007, 09:32 PM

Welcome to the board, Allie! I hope you have fun posting here. :)

#1016 - January 17, 2007, 05:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Welcome to all the new writers and artists. You've picked a great place to talk shop and well, er, when all else fails...Just Talk. <g>

-Pamela

:pencil: :typing: :pencil:
#1017 - January 18, 2007, 01:12 AM

happydude333

hey, I'm the new kid on the block (literally)

Trying to find myself representation from an agent, glad to know there's a place like this on the web.
#1018 - January 20, 2007, 02:45 PM

Welcome new kids!  This is a great place! :dancing:
#1019 - January 20, 2007, 05:15 PM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

JB

Been lurking for a good long while. Thanks to everyone for all your insight. It has helped, inspired, and kept me going through the rough patches. As for me - I'm writing in YA -contemporary fantasy at the moment, but other ideas on the proverbial back burner. Hope to work up the courage to post more in various spots. I'm thrilled to get to hang out in such a supportive environment.  
#1020 - January 20, 2007, 05:47 PM

Members: