SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

www.DellaRossFerreri.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Welcome to all the newcomers! You will love the supportive environment here at Verla's! Pull up a chair. Don't be shy.  :)

~Della
#1021 - January 20, 2007, 06:06 PM
New Books: PRECIOUS BABY &  BEEP! BEEP! SPECIAL DELIVERY
Forthcoming: HUGGLE WUGGLE, BEDTIME SNUGGLE in Sept 2019 + more in 2020!

Kim

I guess I'd better say hi. I've been lurking for nearly a year, and I've learned so much from this list that I had to come out of hiding, finally. My YA novel is being shopped around by my agent, and I'm able to even put that into words because I learned about agents, and publishers, and the publishing process from this list, so I have to say a huge THANK YOU to Verla Kay and the people on this board.

Thank you!!!

Kim

EDITED: To add the fact that my Thank You! didn't seem very huge, so here goes again--

:jump :hug1:  THANK YOU!  :hug1: :jump

That's a little better.
#1022 - January 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:36 AM by Kim »

CJRay

Welcome to all the former "lurkers" who have taken the plunge!  So glad to have you!  The more the merrier.  :dancing:
#1023 - January 22, 2007, 09:20 AM

Sarah Miller

Hey kids!

I've been lurking VERY occasionally for quite some time now, but I got crazy today and joined up. I think it was Cynthia Lord's big day yesterday that finally pushed me over the edge.  ;)

Here's the scoop on me:
I've got a novel coming out with Atheneum this July. It's called MISS SPITFIRE: REACHING HELEN KELLER. I don't have an official website, but you can visit the little freeweb an internet pal made for me:
http://www.freewebs.com/sarah-miller/

I also work at an idependent children's book store, where I'm generally up to my elbows in catalogs, ARCs, and F&Gs, which I love. I write the book reviews for our newsletter and website, and I get to order half of the frontlist. I particularly enjoy being on the frontlines of what's new in the land of Kid-lit.

Speaking of which, I'm amazed by how many authors I've run across already on this site whose ARCs are in my to-be-read pile. I have an inkling I'm in very good company here. Is there a good news-type thread anywhere for folks to show off their publishing credits? There's nothing much better than reading a glut of success stories. And besides, I do so love to hobnob!
#1024 - January 23, 2007, 10:26 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Welcome to all of you newly de-lurked ones, and also all you who just discovered the site! We're glad to have you!

(And it occurs to me that I have never posted in this section, so my welcome reaches back a ways!)
#1025 - January 23, 2007, 10:36 AM

Wordbender

Welcome Sarah.  It's nice to see you come out of the shadows.  As you probably already know, good news abounds on this site.   - Anne
#1026 - January 23, 2007, 10:38 AM

Hi Sarah! Your book sounds fascinating. I've long been amazed at both Helen Keller's story and her teacher's tenacity. I'm really looking forward to reading your novel. Welcome to the Blue Board!
#1027 - January 23, 2007, 10:47 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome to all you new members!  The Blue Board is a great place to be, as I know you've already discovered.  We'll look forward to your words of wisdom and fun to add to the mix.

Sarah, your upcoming book sounds wonderful.  As a teacher myself I have nothing but respect for Anne Sullivan (is that "Ann with an e?" I can't remember.)  Your bookstore job also sounds like it'd be great fun--lots of hard work, but great fun.

Best wishes to all,
Ev
#1028 - January 23, 2007, 12:34 PM

Sarah Miller

Thanks, everyone!

As a teacher myself I have nothing but respect for Anne Sullivan (is that "Ann with an e?" I can't remember.)

It is "Anne with an e" -- though her given name was Johanna, and she went by Annie for the majority of her life. (End of unsolicited history lesson :study )

#1029 - January 23, 2007, 01:42 PM

momadigan

Hello, new members! Welcome.

I'm still a Newbie around here, but I've already gained so much support and helpful information that I'm never going to leave.

*crazy laugh*

:laugh:
#1030 - January 23, 2007, 05:04 PM

Ooh, your book sounds quite interesting, Sarah!  I read quite a few books about Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan myself when I was researching a blind character for a novel I was writing.  (And will someday maybe finish?)  Actually, I'm not sure if Helen Keller's story helped my research.  But it was certainly interesting!  I'll be looking out for that one!  And welcome to the Blue Boards!
#1031 - January 23, 2007, 07:20 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Sarah Miller

I read quite a few books about Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan myself when I was researching a blind character for a novel I was writing. 

Ooh, I'm nosy -- do you remember which books you read? I'm accumulating quite a collection, as you can imagine.
#1032 - January 23, 2007, 07:30 PM

Welcome Sarah. I just read your Amazon profile and I'm hooked! I've got to get my hands on your book. I know I've always been fasinated by the story of Helen Keller, as I'm sure lots of people are!  But there was something about Anne, I always wanted to know more about her. I still remember the "feeling" of watching the original "Miracle Worker" as a child. It sounds like this is a project you put your heart and soul into.  I can't wait to read it!

gail
#1033 - January 24, 2007, 06:53 AM

I just looked at your Library Thing (handy, that!) and I read a few of the ones you have on there.  The only one I read that isn't on your list is "Dear Dr. Bell, Your Friend Helen Keller", which I picked up at a thrift store.  Now I want to know--out of your fantastic collection, which ones would you most recommend?  I know I read "Helen Keller: Rebellious Spirit" because I recognize that cover, and I read "The Story of My Life" of course...and I read a couple more but I can't remember the names.
#1034 - January 24, 2007, 08:42 AM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Suzy Scribbles

I found the intro page!  :yay
I've enjoyed discovering all the very cool topics, posts, and the diverse (and talented!) writers and illustrators on this board. I must confess, however, that it took me awhile to find the introductions section, so I could officially introduce myself. [Many thanks to my dear writing friend and fellow Kregel author, Steph (AKA Trixie Belden), for giving me some valuable hints. ]  :love

I've been scribbling my way through stories since I was about ten years old, outer space (like Star Trek!) being my favorite genre to write. You wonder why I made the switch from sci-fi to historical fiction/horse stories? I'm not quite sure myself, but obviously it was the right decision. I began submitting the first of my Circle C Adventure series back in 2000 and was offered a contract with Kregel in 2004. The second book came out this week.  :pencil:

When I'm not writing I'm homeschooling the last of my four children. My oldest is thirty, with children of her own, and my youngest child is 15, so you can see I've done this quite awhile. When I'm not homeschooling, I'm editing as a freelancer. When I'm not doing any of those things, you can usually find me walking on my treadmill watching a Stargate episode or an old Star Trek show (old favorites die hard).

I look forward to getting to know you all as I learn how to get around on the Blue Board!

Susan
#1035 - January 25, 2007, 12:56 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Suzy!

love horses - I'm sure I'll love your books!   :horse
#1036 - January 25, 2007, 01:22 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

:horse  Yeehaw, Suzy!  Glad to have you aboard, Kregel buddy!  Congrats on ANDREA CARTER AND THE DANGEROUS DECISION!

Stef
#1037 - January 25, 2007, 01:32 PM
http://stephanielreed.com

"If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

Sarah Miller

Welcome Sarah. I just read your Amazon profile and I'm hooked! I've got to get my hands on your book. I know I've always been fasinated by the story of Helen Keller, as I'm sure lots of people are!  But there was something about Anne, I always wanted to know more about her. I still remember the "feeling" of watching the original "Miracle Worker" as a child. It sounds like this is a project you put your heart and soul into.  I can't wait to read it!

Thank you! I loving hearing that people are interested in Annie, because Helen so often steals the show. And I know what you mean about The Miracle Worker -- it still makes me cry.

I just looked at your Library Thing (handy, that!) and I read a few of the ones you have on there.  The only one I read that isn't on your list is "Dear Dr. Bell, Your Friend Helen Keller", which I picked up at a thrift store.  Now I want to know--out of your fantastic collection, which ones would you most recommend?  I know I read "Helen Keller: Rebellious Spirit" because I recognize that cover, and I read "The Story of My Life" of course...and I read a couple more but I can't remember the names.

I love bookish questions like this -- brace yourself! ;)

It really depends on what/who you're most interested in...
For info on Annie, the "bible," so to speak, is Anne Sullivan Macy, by Nella Braddy. It's long been out of print, but there's an extensive (and compelling) excerpt here:
Tewksbury Historical Society (It's about 1/3 pf the way down the page)

The restored editions of The Story of My Life are another great source on Annie, because they contain the letters Annie wrote while she was teaching Helen, which haven't been included in most editions since the 1950's.

On Helen herself, I prefer the biography by Dorothy Herrmann. Joseph Lash's dual bio, Helen & Teacher is terrific, but HUGE. And if you're interested in how Helen coped with Annie's death, pick up Helen Keller's Journal. It's fascinating -- one of the most honest and least flowery of Helen's books.

To understand what it's like to be deaf-blind, Helen Keller's The World I Live In can't be beat.

My absolute favorite at the moment is Blind Rage: Letters to Helen Keller, by Georgina Kleege. There's simply nothing else like it. I posted a longish review on LibraryThing and Amazon that'll tell you more about what makes it special. You don't have to be a Helen Keller junkie to like it, but it sure helps!

For kids, I recommend World at Her Fingertips, or the DK Bio by Leslie Gannet, as well as Helen Keller: Rebellious Spirit, which you've already read. I like them because they don't use any of that fakey made-up dialogue. Another decent kids' bio on Helen which I don't own yet is part of Scholastic's In Their Own Words series; it's by George Sullivan.

Here's a direct link to my collection on LibraryThing in case anybody wants to browse:
Sarah's Anne Sullivan/Helen Keller collection

Now, are you sorry you asked? ;D
#1038 - January 25, 2007, 03:15 PM

jackyboy

Hiya...

Also a lurker coming out to say hey.  There's so much great info on these boards, along with an amazing amount of support, that I couldn't help but join just to say thanks...you've all helped answer so many newbie questions that I've had, in a no muss no fuss way that has allowed me to get answers to my niggling questions quickly and get back to the writing.  You've also provided so many interesting and informative topics to look through, to help justify those times when I've sat down to write, but just didn't feel like writing...reading here helped me to still "work on my career."

A little about me...I've been writing/directing/editing/producing tv animation for the past 8 years, and I recently found myself with an idea that wanted to be a book rather than a cartoon.  I stumbled my way through the process (including quite a few false starts) over the fall.  I started submitting to agents in November and just received an offer for representation a couple of weeks ago... I'm knee deep in revisions right now, while writing scripts for a tv project that's just getting off the ground (and being a dad to an 8 month old daughter).  It's awesome that it's 10 degrees outside right now, because there ain't nothing to do but sit inside and write...

So, thanks again for all the stories and insight.  This is such a positive, supportive place and I'm so happy to be a part of it...

j
#1039 - January 25, 2007, 05:53 PM

Welcome, jackyboy! I hope you have fun posting here, and good luck on those projects. :)

#1040 - January 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

reggie11

I'm so glad I found this website - it has already helped me a lot, in figuring out WHAT I am doing.  Have a novel for adults, in chapter 8 there is a poem recited by a 14-year-old...so I got the idea, why not try sending out the poem as picture book text? Got two nice rejections so far.  Am brand new to children's lit/picture books...have an MFA in poetry, mostly been concentrating on work for adults.  I like writing rhymed poetry though, being a little lighter and well...here's the comparison I like - Van Gogh started out painting people eating potatoes.  I think of one painting with a big huge heaping platter of steaming hot potatoes, and a peasant family is sitting down to eat the potatoes.

Then, later in his career, he blossomed, "or a rainbow fell on him," and he began painting really beautiful, colorful, passionate work...no more potatoes.

I guess that will be my motto:  "NO MORE POTATOES" for this ultraserious poet.

Hmmm, I don't feel like I'm saying very much about myself...just getting started, though!

Reggie
#1041 - January 26, 2007, 08:03 AM

Welcome to the board, reggie! :)

#1042 - January 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Kathy E

Welcome to all!  I'm pretty new myself but this is a very helpful community.  Thank you Verla, and everyone!  Sarah, I think you'll find a lot of people's triumphant announcements under "Good News" in the "Author / Illustrator News" category.  Sounds like we'll see you there! :sing:
#1043 - January 29, 2007, 07:02 AM

aecurtis

:books: Hi, I'm Annmarie.  I've been lurking around the boards for awhile now, and figured that now would be as good a time as any to introduce myself.  I'm a children's library associate from the South FL area, and currently, I am working on a MG fantasy. ^_^  Some of you may know me from livejournal. My lj name is aecurtis also.

Nice to meet all of you :)
#1044 - January 29, 2007, 07:39 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome to all you new writers!  It's such fun to have new people to get to know and enjoy.
Susan, congratulations on your new book that was just released!  What an exciting time for you!
Jackyboy, congratulations on landing an agent so fast!  You obviously have great writing talents.

Best wishes to all,
Ev
#1045 - January 29, 2007, 07:51 AM

Suzy Scribbles

Thanks, all, for your warm welcome, especially to Julia, Stef, and Ev! Hey, Stephanie, you are so right. This place is not hard to navigate once you get your bearings. I am having a great time checking out everyone's posts--new ones and from the archives. Ev, I saw your post the other day in....well....maybe it was Good News? And I followed your link and saw ALL THOSE BOOKS!!  Fun, fun, fun!   :reading2:

congrats!

And no, stef, my son hasn't played around with the avatar yet, but stayed tuned, and you just might see something cool.   :momkid:

Til later,

Susan

#1046 - January 29, 2007, 01:39 PM

mpoet

Welcome to our newest members.  Reggie, I love to write poetry also.  I smiled at your "No More Potatoes!"  I'm going to remember that one.  :)
#1047 - January 31, 2007, 04:47 PM

idreaminink

Hi!!!  My name is Jes and I live in southern WV ( which is totally covered with snow at the moment!)  I have been dabbling in writing for children for a few years and it's time to get serious. I have a picture book under consideration at the moment,   :dancing: so every thing I have is crossed at the moment. (which explains the typos!)

I write poetry and have a second picture book in the works, but I really, REALLY love chapter books. I have some ideas that I'd like to start on, so I guess I'll make my way over to that section and absorb all my little brain can hold.

Can't wait to meet you all!

:hug1:

Jes
#1048 - February 06, 2007, 06:29 PM

momadigan

Welcome, Jes!

I'm pretty new here myself, but I've found lots of support and good information on these boards.

Enjoy -

Lisa

:)
#1049 - February 06, 2007, 06:47 PM

Suzy Scribbles

Welcome to you, Jes, from one Newbie to another.  :study

I put it off and put it off, but now I am very glad I joined. It is a fascinating place, and there are so many gems of ideas to mine from this board. The best way to find your way around is to just plunge on in. That's what I did. I only wish I had more hours of free time in the day to explore more.

Best of luck with your picture book, and let us know what happens!

Susan  :horse
#1050 - February 08, 2007, 08:21 AM

Members: