SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Gina Black

Hi  Everybody,

What a lot of fun smilies. I can see I'm going to have lots of fun here.  :dancing:

I'm writing my first YA, which is my third book. My first was a historical romance, and the next was a contemporary romance geared toward the Harlequin/Silhouette empire that I later tried to change to single title. Now it's a weird hybrid that doesn't really work, but I still love it.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone...

Gina
#1081 - February 22, 2007, 09:15 PM

Welcome, Gina! Sounds like you're :writing3: one busy writer!

Donna
#1082 - February 23, 2007, 05:12 AM

momalisa

Hi Gina, you're quite the accomplished newbie!  Hope you find the site as useful as I do.  There's a lot of stuff here!!! 

Lisa
 :books:
#1083 - February 23, 2007, 08:45 AM

Welcome all!
#1084 - February 23, 2007, 09:44 AM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

www.DellaRossFerreri.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Welcome momalisa, Gina Black, Inkygirl, and all the new members! Happy writing/illustrating!!! You're in the right place!

~Della
#1085 - February 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
2019 Books: PRECIOUS BABY &  BEEP! BEEP! SPECIAL DELIVERY & HUGGLE WUGGLE, BEDTIME SNUGGLE
+ more in 2020

Gina Black

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Looking forward to getting to know you all, and tapping into the wisdom of this group. :yup

Gina
#1086 - February 23, 2007, 03:07 PM

Jaina

Ohhh, Gina!  I love your avatar!  Makes me want to sing!  Hey, let's go--hey, let's go--we're happy as can be . . .

Jaina (who preferred the dubbing BEFORE they redid it with the Fanning sisters, but what the heck--any Totoro is good Totoro!)
#1087 - February 23, 2007, 03:12 PM

CJRay

WOW! I love how often I've been welcoming newbies! It's awesome!  :dancing:

It wasn't that long ago that I was a newbie myself. I have been so blessed to be a part of something so terrific as Verla's place. Glad to have you guys and gals join us.

CJ
#1088 - February 23, 2007, 03:13 PM

momalisa

Thanks for all the nice welcome messages.

I am really enjoying the site!  (and all the smileys   :momkid: :momkid: :momkid: )

Lisa
#1089 - February 23, 2007, 05:27 PM

Dancre

Hello, all.  I wanted to slip in and say Hi.  My name is Kim and I've just started writing children's books.  I was writing spy novels, but my parents insisted I turn to children's books, and well, what could I say?  So I did and I'm glad I did it.  Anyway, I have a question for you all.  I"m writing a fantasy story for teens ages 14 and up.  So would it be classified as YA teen?  Thanks so much in advance and I hope to learn from all of you.   :horse

kim
#1090 - February 24, 2007, 02:00 PM

Paula

Hi everyone,

Alma told me about 'the boards' at the Toronto CANSCAIP conference in November, and it only took me 3.5 months to get here!
 :snail:
My main excuse is that I've been working hard doing revisions on a YA manuscript being seriously considered by a small Canadian publisher. I've also had two very positive, full-page rejection letters on another YA novel and two personalized messages at the bottom of form letters for a PB, so I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. Can't wait until my four-year-old is in school full-time!

I'm really excited to become a part of this community.

Paula  :)
#1091 - February 24, 2007, 06:33 PM

Welcome, Kim and Paula! I hope you both have fun posting here. :)

Anyway, I have a question for you all.  I"m writing a fantasy story for teens ages 14 and up.  So would it be classified as YA teen? 

For ages 14 and up, that sounds like YA to me.  :yup

#1092 - February 24, 2007, 08:06 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Hello Everyone,

I have not written in the "introduce yourself" board and I've been here a couple of months, so I guess I should.

I knew when I was about 9 years old that I wanted to be a writer when I grew up.  My sis told me that the word I was looking for was "author" since I wanted to write books!  Since I was a child, it was children's books (obviously) that I wanted to write.

Twelve years ago, when I was young and inexperienced, I got an agent right off the bat (someone well-known in children's publishing) and she got me work.  I wrote a couple of bios for young children for an educational publisher.  The first one was badly written as I heeded some bad advice and literally chopped my sentences in half to make it "easier reading".  The second one was better.  I also ghost-wrote a book for an established series for a book packager.  I actually wrote the book on my own and gave it to my agent who pestered the packager until they finally needed a book and they bought it!  They asked me to change the end so that it wouldn't be so similar to a book they were about to publish, and I did.  It was a fun experience, but probably because I've always wanted to write a children's book series of my own!

Anyway, my agent died and I got involved in teaching and I put writing fiction aside, although I still had a couple of articles published in Catholic periodicals and a another bio (this time for adults) published as well.  My real DREAM DREAM DREAM is to publish kids FICTION books under my own name (not an established pen name). 

Last year I threw myself back into it.  I wrote two books for a series I had been dreaming about writing AND I wrote a Trixie Belden for fun (since I have always wanted to) and had that posted online and I did that all in 9 months.  I could do that since I wasn't working, but since I began working  full-time in September, I've slowed down somewhat.

Still, I am writing a graphic novel....  I am up to page 80.... It shouldn't be more than 110 pages....

It's great to be here.  I love the Blue Board. It's such a supportive place to be and it's great to read about other people going through the same things I am.  Especially on the great agent hunt.  Good luck to everyone!
#1093 - February 25, 2007, 08:23 AM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

Suzy Scribbles

EmeraldGown!
Please may I read your on-line Trixie Beldon story? Stef (another BlueBoarder) and I are Trixie Beldon fans from way back! Please post the link or PM me.
It sounds like you have some writing credits under your belt and that you are a go-getter. Here's to your ultimate success!   :sing:

Susan  :horse
#1094 - February 25, 2007, 09:06 AM

You are PMed, Susan.  Thanks for the interest and for your well-wishes!    :laugh:
#1095 - February 25, 2007, 10:52 AM

Dancre

Welcome, Kim and Paula! I hope you both have fun posting here. :)

Anyway, I have a question for you all.  I"m writing a fantasy story for teens ages 14 and up.  So would it be classified as YA teen? 

For ages 14 and up, that sounds like YA to me.  :yup

Thanks, GR!!  I hope to learn more from this site!! 

kim
#1096 - February 26, 2007, 09:55 AM

You're welcome. :) And I know you will -- just browse through these threads, and check out any topics that might be of interest to you (that's what I've been doing here, for the most part).

#1097 - February 26, 2007, 07:43 PM

Dancre

You're welcome. :) And I know you will -- just browse through these threads, and check out any topics that might be of interest to you (that's what I've been doing here, for the most part).

Yeap, that's what I'm doing and I'm learning a lot.  I wrote a spy novel about a couple of years ago, but no one wanted it.  :(  But I learned how to write!!  I also learned what the publishers are looking for, so I don't count it as a loss.  It seems that writing a YA is similiar to my adult book, but at a lower lever for the kids.  I'm going to make it into fantasy trilogy.  I guess the books need to be around 50,000 words each, yes?   I"m used to writing around 80,000.  I"m half way to my mark.   I hope to be done by Junish?  I work for an accountant, so I'm having to work a lot of overtime due to tax season, which cuts into my writing time.  But we'll see.   

kim
#1098 - February 27, 2007, 08:18 AM

LadyBard

Hey Everyone,

I'm very happy to be here.  I write for children and young adults -- Pictures books and YA novels.  I haven't had anything published yet, but I remain hopeful.  I haven't been very consistant in sending out stories.  I start all gun ho, and then when the rejections start, I stop sending them for a while then start up again.

Right now I'm in a sending mode and I think this time it's going to stick.  After all, what have I got to lose ?

I just sent 3 of my babies off into the unknown and two more are ready to go.  I'm hoping for the best.
#1099 - March 02, 2007, 03:33 PM

Welcome, LadyBard. :) I hope you have fun posting here, and I wish you luck with your submissions. (I haven't had anything published yet, either.)

:clover

#1100 - March 03, 2007, 06:32 PM

momalisa

Welcome Kim, Paula, Emeraldgown and ladybard.  (anyone else I may have missed since i was last on this board.)  Enjoy this wonderful and info filled site!  I certainly am.

Lisa

:books:
#1101 - March 05, 2007, 09:08 AM

millencake

i thought i should finally do this.  i have been a member for a week or two and i love this site.  you all are amazingly helpful and supportive.

being an author has always been a dream of mine, but not one that i never actively pursued.  then i finished college, shelved my degree, got a generic cubicle job that bored me.  after a few excrutiating months, i decided to start writing in my down time at work. 

so, i've only been writing fiction since september 2006.  i love it.  i have one finished adult comedic novel and one YA novel.  I also have about 15 short stories either finished or near finished.  most of my writing is bizarre and wacky and involves people who don;t live or think by conventional means (for better or worse). 

i really love writing and reading short stories, but young adult literature is a close second.  i still feel like a kid most of the time, so that's where i feel comfortable.  i am also currently attempting a very dark adult thriller and have a few other novels in progress.

i soemtimes worry that writing multiple projects at the same time weakens the work and will burn me out, but in the end, it's what works best for me.  it keeps me creative and it helps me stay productive in that if it's just not working one day for one novel, i can turn to a different one and still get something accomplished.

but, i think i've rambled enough for now.

happy writing.

-chris
 :moose
#1102 - March 05, 2007, 09:26 AM
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:56 AM by millencake »

Welcome to you--and your little dog, too!
#1103 - March 05, 2007, 10:49 AM

millencake

Thanks!

Her name is Ginny and she likes to eat paper.
#1104 - March 05, 2007, 10:52 AM

momalisa

Welcome Chris!  Good luck to you and all those manuscripts!

Emeraldgown, I like to be the wicked witch!  What a world, what a world....  :evil:
Then again, you have the whole Emerald thing going on.
#1105 - March 06, 2007, 11:20 AM

momadigan

Welcome Ladybard and Millencake and, er, any others I may have missed.

Have fun here!
#1106 - March 06, 2007, 12:35 PM

Seriously, momalisa, how cute is millencake's little dog?  And then with the name "millencake" its even cuter. I dunno, something about the combo....

Welcome to one and all....
#1107 - March 06, 2007, 09:42 PM

dragonluvr2

Hello everyone!
javascript:void(0);
I am new to this site.  The members of my on-line critique group suggested I check it out, and I am glad that I listen to them.  I have been lost in some of the threads, and they are wonderful!  I knw I can learn great things from here, and hopefully gain the knowledge I will need to finally get published.  I have had a few things published on-line, but I am waiting for the "big one," where I receive a positive letter from a publishing company or agent, who wants to see my stories in print as much as I do.

Lee javascript:void(0);
#1108 - March 07, 2007, 12:00 PM

CJRay

Welcome everyone!!  :jump
#1109 - March 07, 2007, 01:18 PM

AllyCowee

Well, this should be my 50th post so maybe I'll introduce myself  :moose

I'm Ally Cowee (aka Alessia) and I've been around the kidlit scene for a few years now. I love Verla and all she's done for the kidlit community. (And I have stories. And pictures.)  :dr

I write novels for teens, have won a few awards, and have the two bestest crit partners in the world, Laurie and Diana.

Okay. So, Hi!
#1110 - March 08, 2007, 12:35 PM

Members: