SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

:books: Welcome, everyone!  It's nice to see you here.  I even recognize someone ... (Hi, Bob!)
#1201 - May 20, 2007, 01:23 AM
- Victoria -

Writing Coaching: vlawinning.ca
Blog: victorialynnfry.blogspot.ca
Twitter: twitter.com/victorialfry

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Welcome, Bob!  YCDTOT was always one of my guilty pleasures.  (Though I'm too old to have enjoyed it as a kid.)  It proved that raw wit doesn't have to be dirty.  There was always something so very satisfying about coming home from a hard day at school to watch a group of smart mouthed kids getting doused with water, slimed, and shot by a firing squad.  Oh, to have had a green slime machine in my classroom for times when those magical words slipped out of their mouths!  Alisdair was loads of fun, I miss that show.
#1202 - May 20, 2007, 03:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Nice website, Bob! I love the old photos. I was a YCDTOT fan, too. I don't suppose you ever met Alanis? Welcome to the boards, anyway; I think you'll find it a congenial place. Don't let the smileys throw you. You just stop seeing them after a while!
#1203 - May 20, 2007, 07:55 AM

BBOvenGuy

I don't suppose you ever met Alanis?

Actually, I did.  She was 12.   :dancing:
#1204 - May 20, 2007, 08:12 AM

stephwc

Bob, I was such a fan of the YCDTOT! I first saw it while visiting my grandparents in FL, and when I got home to MA and found that my local cable station didn't carry Nickelodeon, I wrote a letter of complaint.  A few months later, Nick was added. : ) It really was a clever show.  I like your website.  My husband (a h.s. math teacher) would LOVE that sweatshirt with all the equations! Come to think of it, I think he had the same glasses you did in high school! LOL!

Welcome!

#1205 - May 20, 2007, 04:34 PM

skate

:yup Hi, I just joined up after many months of lurking. I'm an illustrator and (so far unpublished) writer from Australia, who is very interested in learning as much as I can about publishing children's books. So far I've finished one children's book for 7-10 year-olds (still plucking up courage to send it off), have finished the first draft of a YA Fantasy novel and am in the final chapters of another fantasy for 10-14 year-olds. I'm really looking forward to getting to know people on here. I've already seen some familiar names from Critique Circle.
Skate
#1206 - May 20, 2007, 10:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, Skate! I'm in Australia, also. I started looking around these boards when I was hunting for info on US markets but have ended up being pubbed in Australia after  all that. Keep plugging and get that work out there; the first submission is the hardest and then you'll be on a roll. Not a lot of places to sub to here, of course. Are you going to try local publishers first?

Meg
#1207 - May 21, 2007, 12:38 AM

skate

Meg, yes, I'd like to be published in Australia if I can, but the book is aimed at children who have been adopted from overseas (though I think it would appeal to any child who is 'different') so the market may be too limited. I'm yet to find an Australian children's book for adoptees, apart from one self-published and two by Australian authors published in the US.
I see from your website that we're from the same part of Australia! I live on a farm in the wheatbelt, only 100km from you. Small world.
Skate
#1208 - May 21, 2007, 04:32 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Thanks, Della (and the rest of the welcoming committee). I have two basic problems with this board:

1)  It's addicting!
2)  It has so many sprawling tenacles, I forget where I've posted. That shouldn't be a problem for long (ref prob #1). I'll figure it out eventually. Let's see...what can I forego to make up for the extra time spent here? Sleep? Housework? Writing? Ha. That's an easy one.

javascript:void(0);
#1209 - May 21, 2007, 06:28 AM
Coming soon:
Elwood Bigfoot - Wanted:  Birdie Friends (Sterling)
Teeny Tiny Toady (Sterling)
If a T Rex Crashes Your Birthday Party

Jaina

One option that might help you... hit the link at the very top (beside your avatar under "User Info") that says "show new replies to your posts."  Also try "show unread posts since your last visit."  That way you can simply pick and choose from the list of tempting threads.

By the way, welcome!  I find it works best to give up housework.
#1210 - May 21, 2007, 06:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Ah, yes, that helps. Thanks, Jaina!
#1211 - May 21, 2007, 08:10 AM
Coming soon:
Elwood Bigfoot - Wanted:  Birdie Friends (Sterling)
Teeny Tiny Toady (Sterling)
If a T Rex Crashes Your Birthday Party

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
  I find it works best to give up housework.

I gave up housework to gain more writing time last year.  Thankfully, two very nice ladies come every other Friday and make it all better.
#1212 - May 21, 2007, 09:43 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Skate! A fellow Western Australian! Good to 'meet' you here. It's a little isolating working in WA, and I'm sure you feel that even more keenly being out of the city. Do you know about the online newsletters for children's writers you can subscribe to (Australian ones - Pass It On and BuzzWords)? I find that they help me stay in touch, and our local SCWBI is also starting to become more active. I'm not a member at the moment, but still go to the meetings for the catch-ups etc, and they are organising a mini-conference in Feb next year which might be useful for you (publishers' panel, one-on-ones with editors etc). The RA lives down south and comes up for the meetings and I know a few others who travel reasonable distances for the various events. You might already be tapped in to all this, but if you need any information, just let me know.

Meg
#1213 - May 21, 2007, 06:38 PM

skate

Hi Meg,
I hadn't seen either of those online newsletters, but I'll definitely be subscribing to Pass it On. Thanks for that.
Could you give me some more info about the mini conference in Feb? I hadn't heard about that either. (As you said - a little isolated!)

Skate
#1214 - May 21, 2007, 10:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Skate, I'll pm you so we don't take over this thread. I *think* you can receive a pm as a newbie. Let me know if you don't get it. It depends on how you've set your personal message settings, but you might get a pop-up or an email notification; otherwise check the note next to User Info at the top of the page. It should tell you there if you have a pm. Of course, in the space I've taken up explaining this, I could have just told you about the event. Oh well.
#1215 - May 22, 2007, 01:31 AM

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Hi Everyone,

I just found this board yesterday and had so much fun browsing and reading that I decided to join. I've been a children's writer and illustrator for many, many years. I've had a few successes here and there. I write picture books, MG and I'm working on the 2nd draft of a fantasy novel that I think is YA. I recently finished illustrating a picture book, Daddy Did I Ever Say? that will be out in October from Ten to Two Children's Books. (www.tentotwochildrensbooks.com).

I live and work in NY with my husband (and my dog) designing toys, books and gifts items. If you are interested you can see my illustration and design work on my website www.imaginethatdesignnyc.com.

I look forward to getting to know you  on these boards. I just hope I won't get too addicted and not get any work done ;)

Playfully,

Traci
#1216 - May 22, 2007, 06:58 AM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

kimw

OOOoooooooh...A new member.
Very nice to meet you. You will LOVE being a part of this board.
Welcome! :jump
Kimw :hug1:
#1217 - May 22, 2007, 08:16 AM

MandyT

Hello everyone, I am new to this board and have been really enjoying reading the numerous posts.  I am just beginning the ICL basic course and taking the first steps towards fulfilling my lifelong dream of being a children's writer.  I had a hard childhood and books were my escape and my refuge.  I remember being sent to my room, miserable and heartsick, and picking up my Sweet Valley Twins book and melting away into another world.  I literally remember how the physical pain and sadness would just disappear as I was brought to the world of the happy Wakefield family.  I have no doubt that my books saved me as a child- I have no idea how I ever would have worked through it without them.  To all of you published writers, never doubt the significance of what you do!  Along with helping children in happy homes to develop a lifelong love of reading and learning, you help millions of sad, hurt children escape the pain of their daily lives.  I hope to join your ranks one day soon!    :writing3:

I have been writing stories since I could form words with a pencil, and have always had big plans to get published and write a children's book series!  I remember as a child boldly mailing off my mss to Bantam and Random House!  :paper: lol... at least my first rejection slip is in my distant past!   :laugh:  I look forward to getting to know all of you on here as I continue on my journey! (thanks, Meg for the link to re-post this!  I couldn't find and "Introduction thread anywhere... guess I didn't look hard enough! :))
#1218 - May 30, 2007, 04:13 PM
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:19 PM by MandyT »

Welcome, Mandy! I'm glad you've been enjoying yourself here. ;D

And I know what you mean about books being a refuge from your day-to-day problems -- I've always felt that way about reading, too (still do, in fact). :)
#1219 - May 30, 2007, 06:30 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Welcome to all the new members! MandyT, since you found the best place to introduce yourself and reposted your introductory message here, I've deleted the duplicate message (and your original response to it, MegM) from the News board.  Thanks for helping MandyT find this thread, MegM.  :moose

#1220 - May 31, 2007, 05:40 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

goadingthepen

Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. (Now that I found the intro thread, I am a touch slow) I have been writing for, well forever I guess. I have been involved with a variety of writing groups both on and off line over the past 8 years. It is only in the last 6 months that I have truly dedicated myself to getting serious about it. I have tiny successes here and there from a few years back but not much to brag about. I am hoping to find a network of other writers to learn and travel down this road with. I have enjoyed looking through the forums here and must say it seems like there is a fantastic network of very talented people here.

On a personal note, I am a mother of 3 boys... Four, Eleven, and Fourteen!  (I also have a very wonderful stepson at VT who is 19) I am a stay at home mom but take care of a one-year old and a few school age kids during the school year while their parents teach my children at school!

I have a website but mostly consists of bookreviews I have done and bits of info here and there. (A definate work in progress)
I have been trying my hand at LJ but not doing overly well with it.
http://www.goadingthepen.blogspot.com

I look forward to meeting everyone.

Sheri
#1221 - May 31, 2007, 11:02 AM
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:14 AM by goadingthepen »

Welcome to the board, Sheri! You've come to the right place if you're hoping to learn more about writing and publishing from other folks who have been through or are going through the same things you are. :)
#1222 - May 31, 2007, 06:05 PM

goadingthepen

Thanks G.R.!

I have only been around a day and I have already gotten some really great info! I can see why everyone is so darned addicted!
#1223 - May 31, 2007, 06:12 PM

Kurtis

Hello everyone. I've posted a bit but missed this thread before. As you can see, I'm Kurtis. I've recently sold my first novel (ya) and am working on a second (mg). My "day job" is at the University of Minnesota. I'm married and have three cats, one of whom is pictured in my avatar (he doesn't always wear the cowboy hat, just on special occassions).

I linked here from SCBWI the other day and decided to stick around.
#1224 - May 31, 2007, 06:42 PM

Welcome, Kurtis. Congratulations on getting your first book sold! :)

#1225 - June 01, 2007, 06:07 PM

Valerie

Hi, I'm Valerie... I am brand spanking new to the world of childrens literature.  Well, writing it, that is.  I have an incomplete pb ms and a complete 2-3rd draft of a mg that I've been diligently working on for over a year.  Strange as it may seem, I am looking forward to my first rejection letter... because getting one would mean that I have truly entered the world of writing!!  :typing:

This is a great board!!  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here!!  :girl
#1226 - June 04, 2007, 04:37 PM

goadingthepen

Welcome Valerie!
I have only been here a short time but absolutely love it here. Great people great advice!
#1227 - June 04, 2007, 04:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Hello All,

My name is Bill, and I've been writing children's poetry for a number of years, but I've only recently pursued publication seriously.  I only have one published poem and that one is in the SCBWI March/April issue of this year.  I have two other acceptances to Wee Ones which won't come out for some time.  I've been writing with one goal in mind, and that is to publish a collection.  I know the odds are greatly stacked against me.  I have written a few hundred poems, but most of them still need tweaking this way and that.  I hope to start submitting them as a collection soon.  You'd think after ten years I would have started already???  Two years ago I started a poetry critique group called Poets' Garage.  If you're not in a crit group, you're really missing out.  This group has really thrust my writing ahead.  I look forward to many visits to this board.  It's a very lucky board :)

Cheers,
Bill
#1228 - June 04, 2007, 05:00 PM

Valerie

Welcome Valerie!
I have only been here a short time but absolutely love it here. Great people great advice!

Thanks so much!  I am a little overwhelmed with the amount of information here.  I just need to keep reading.  :)
#1229 - June 04, 2007, 05:16 PM

Welcome newbies!  Valerie: LOOOOVE your Beaker.  Meep! Trip down memory lane.
#1230 - June 04, 2007, 05:41 PM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

Members: