SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Mussel Bound

That's sweet of you to take in 28 deaf cats, in addition to your own.  And so modest not to mention them to the publishers/editors!   :laugh:

#1291 - June 27, 2007, 10:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new here, although I've lurked for a while. I live on Vancouver Island, BC, and write contemporary YA (one finished ms doing the agent rounds, and another in progress).

This is a wonderful place! I love how freely advice and support is shared. Thank you all.  :hug1:
#1292 - June 27, 2007, 10:05 AM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

goadingthepen

Haven't been here for a bit so welcome to all the newbies since my last visit! Glad to have new faces aboard.
#1293 - June 27, 2007, 10:08 AM

thirtycats

I like your lobster website.

I showed it to my son which was a mistake--he kicked me off the computer.

Next time, I'll send the cats to attack him. 
#1294 - June 27, 2007, 10:36 AM

TinaMack

Greetings!

I just found this thread and I'm new on the board so here's me in a nutshell...(I'm pretty comfortable in a nutshell actually!)

I recently resigned as technical writer for an architectural firm to carry on as full-time mom. My son is 15 months.  :momkid:  I'm expecting :pregnant: boy #2 in three months. With more time at home, I'm finally serious about creative writing and learning the ins and outs of publishing. Oh okay, I admit to dabbling in :artist: too...

With my ever useful degrees in English literature and drama *snort!*---okay, but I LOVED going to school, so they ARE worth the paper they're printed on!---I worked for 15 years on a contract basis prior to the technical writing gig. I've directed a couple youth theatre troupes, written a teacher's curriculum pack for an international youth film festival, managed 450 volunteers for an International Jazz Festival, managed communications, managed to keep my sanity (and sense of humour!) while coordinating a university residence, and taught high school and English as a Second Language. Now I'm Mommy, and I'm working on adding published children's writer to the list.

This is a GREAT board.  :dancing:  I've been visiting for a few weeks...reading and learning more than anything else.

Cheers
Tina
#1295 - June 27, 2007, 04:59 PM

Welcome, Tina. I'm glad you've been enjoying the board so far! :)

If you're looking to learn about the ins and outs of writing and publishing, you've come to a good place.
#1296 - June 27, 2007, 06:22 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Mussel Bound

I like your lobster website.

I showed it to my son which was a mistake--he kicked me off the computer.

Next time, I'll send the cats to attack him.
No, no, let him stay! Or bookmark it at least... :laugh:

Welcome, Tina - this is lobster from SCBWI

Welcome also to the other newbies, including you, Shari
#1297 - June 27, 2007, 08:45 PM

TinaMack

Thanks for the welcome, folks.
Hi Lobster! I recognized you...er...Mussel Bound.
#1298 - June 28, 2007, 09:00 AM

Poster Plus
Hello to everyone on the boards.  Welcome to all the new members!  I'm happy to have found this wonderful home for writers.   ;D  I had to register again after an e-mail change, so it took me awhile to get going again.  I didn't post much before, but I hope to do better this time around!  And, I would like to thank all of my live chat friends!  You are great! :hug1:

Blessings,
Debbie
(DebS)
#1299 - June 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
Blessings!

DebS
(Granny Deb)

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Welcome Debbie and Becky (the two I know :)) -- and everyone else too :D
#1300 - June 28, 2007, 06:17 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! :)
#1301 - July 02, 2007, 08:32 AM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I recently resigned as technical writer for an architectural firm to carry on as full-time mom.
Congrats on your new "full-time mom" status, Tina, and welcome! Sure looks like we've come to the right place for info and support on the road to publ. :)
#1302 - July 02, 2007, 08:35 AM
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:37 AM by shari »
www.sharigreen.com  

tfb3

Thanks, Shari, for posting on this thread today!  I couldn't find out where I was supposed to introduce myself...

I'm Tameka and I've been seriously writing for children (and learning this business) for about 1-1/2 years. I have grown so much during that time--and I can tell that by being here on the blueboards, I'll be growing a whole lot more. Thanks, in advance, for helping me!

I'm familiar with some of the names I've seen here from other places, and am looking forward to getting to know everyone else!

:pencil:  Cheers,
Tameka
#1303 - July 02, 2007, 09:10 AM

Welcome, Tameka. I hope you have a lot of fun here! ;D

#1304 - July 02, 2007, 06:20 PM

Mussel Bound

Other places?? Where are these other places, besides SCBWI, of which you speak??

And yes, a big welcome to the club!
#1305 - July 02, 2007, 09:05 PM

tfb3

Well, I know there's at least one person around here that I see each month--when she's picking apart my mss!  ;D

Thanks G.R. and M.B. for the warm welcome!

T
#1306 - July 02, 2007, 09:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, new folk! You've landed in a very congenial place. Tina, I can relate to your 'useful degree' comment; I did actually use mine, and went on to grad work, but spent a lot of time trying to justify myself to people (and, occasionally, to myself) in the early days!
#1307 - July 02, 2007, 09:50 PM

TinaMack

Hi Shari - Yes, I think you're right.  :writing3:

MegM -  I relate! I was being facetious. :D I've been able to apply my english, drama and education degrees very specifically to a number of jobs--not terribly lucrative though! :EmoticonDollar:
Good thing I have no delusions about getting rich.  :banghead:  Perfect for this business. LOL!
#1308 - July 03, 2007, 06:09 AM
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:11 AM by TinaMack »

MVP

Hi everyone!  I'm a long-time lurker who's decided that it's time to post.  I'm a middle-school teacher, and now that it's summer I've got a lot more time for message boards--and for writing, of course!  I've written a young adult fantasy that's done and looking for a home, 10,000 words or so of a middle-grade fantasy, and a handful of picture books that are sitting in drawers.

I'm also a newlywed (married 6 months.)  One of the things I love about being married is my new set of initials.  It cracks me up that after a childhood of getting picked last for every sports team I was ever forced to play on, I'm now an MVP!

I'm looking forward to getting to know the people on this board.  It's been a great place to lurk, and I'm sure it will be an even better place to post.   :)

Miriam
#1309 - July 03, 2007, 01:03 PM

Welcome to the board, MVP! :)

#1310 - July 03, 2007, 06:30 PM

ara

I can't believe I just found this thread. It's greating seeing some bio info on everyone here.  Thanks for posting about yourselves!

As for me, I live in San Diego, am 36, and write contemporary YA (although my next project is probably going to be MG). Oh, yeah--and my name rhymes with Sarah.   ^-^
#1311 - July 04, 2007, 10:16 AM

Deb Logan

Hello, everyone.

My alter ego is e-pubbed in fantasy and paranormal romance, and I actually pubbed two children's stories under that name before I started pubbing romance. Now I've decided that I want to distance my kids / MG / YA writing from my more adult fiction, so I've become a split personality *snicker*

Anyway, I just found this board and am thrilled with the plethora of information available here!

Looking forward to getting to know you, and finding homes for my kids stories!

---Deb
#1312 - July 04, 2007, 10:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Hi everyone.

I'm Sheri and I - (like Tameka) - have been seriously writing for children for about 1 1/2 years.  (I wrote my first story in Spring 2006.)  I've spent the last year trying to learn all I can about writing, submitting, etc.

This seems like such a great and supportive group of people, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it. 

Oh, and if anyone out there lives in Atlanta, I'd love to find people interested in a critique group.  I have a wonderful online group, but I'd love to find one here in Atlanta, too.  (We just moved back here in February.)  Anyone?

Take care,
Sheri
#1313 - July 04, 2007, 04:10 PM
COWHIDE-AND-SEEK (Running Press Kids, 2019)
Twitter:  @sheridillard
Blog:  https://tellmeastory120764850.wordpress.com/

tfb3

Hey, Sheri!  Glad to see you here!

Tameka
#1314 - July 05, 2007, 12:16 PM

edithspage

Hi everyone! Great to be on here. I'm in the middle of submissions for a YA novel, so I'm finding the agent information really helpful. I live in New York & frequent the SCBWI conferences, BEA, basically everything I can go to. I'm going to the SCBWI conf. in LA in August. I started doing this seriously about a year and a half ago. I guess that's about it.  :momkid:
#1315 - July 05, 2007, 03:48 PM

PiaSurligneur

This board is absolutely fantastic! Even before I recently registered, I'd lurk and soak up all the great information here.  I think I'm addicted.

Here's a little about myself:  Eight years ago I revisited the world of children's literature (I'm a librarian) and fell in love with pbs, early chapters &
mid-grade novels all over again.  I also changed my writing focus from adult audiences to children at that time.  I'm so happy that I did!   One of
my first magazine articles for kids will be appearing in Boys' Quest this summer.  It was accepted in 2002.   I've had just over three dozen
acceptances since that first non-fiction sale.  I also have a couple of pb manuscripts "out there."

And something I'm really excited about:  I rec'd an arts grant to attend the SCBWI Conference in LA this year.  I can't wait! :dancing:
#1316 - July 06, 2007, 08:39 AM

TinaMack

Congrats on all fronts Pia!
#1317 - July 06, 2007, 12:11 PM

lindsay

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on the boards for a while, but only recently started posting. I guess this is as good a time as any to introduce myself.

I'm a 28 year old mother of 4, and I've been writing seriously for the past five years. I completed the ICL course my 1st year of writing, and started off focused on pb's. Two of my pb's have won honorable mentions in the Writer's Digest Writing Competition and last year one of my pb's won 3rd place in that contest. Though I still adore pb's, I feel like I've found my true love in mg novels. My first novel received a "resubmit with these revisions" from an awesome agent, so I'm getting it ready now to resend. My second is completed and the first chapters are in the hands of my critique group as we speak. I'm almost finished with my third, though revisions are taking up a lot of time right now.

I recently became the Speaker Coordinator for the Rocky Mountian Chapter of SCBWI and love attending conferences and taking classes! Anyway, I'm excited to get to know all of the fun personalities here on the boards! Happy writing!

Linds
#1318 - July 06, 2007, 07:50 PM

Mussel Bound

Wow, we're getting some serious talent joining us here!  Welcome all you not-so-newbies!   :dancing: :band :dancing:
#1319 - July 06, 2007, 11:34 PM

jeanne k

Hi, everyone.

I'm not quite accomplished as the last couple of newbies, but I'm trying my best to get there.

I'm a member of SCWBI and a mother of two small children. Right now, I guess you could say I'm on hiatus from my career as a college professor while my children are young. I've rediscovered reading strictly for pleasure and creative writing. My background is in (among other things) child and adolescent development.

Currently, I'm working on about five picture book manuscripts (with more ideas waiting in the wings) and the beginnings of an idea for a MG novel. I have one picture book in the final editing stage and I'm just about to take the leap of submitting it!

I've already learned so much from skimming through this wonderful message board and website and I really look forward to learning as much as I possibly can.

Cheers,
Jeanne
#1320 - July 08, 2007, 07:51 PM

Members: