SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Welcome, Jeanne. :)

I'm glad you've been enjoying the board so far! This IS a good place to learn more about different aspects of writing and publishing.

#1321 - July 09, 2007, 06:05 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

pixydust

Hey everyone!

Another newbie here. This place looks awesome! So much talent, it's overwhelming. I can't wait to begin the brain picking.

I write YA fantasy and am a member of the SCBWI. I'm really looking forward the LA con in August. It'll be my first SBWI con. I'm still getting a handle on this business, having mostly worked on craft for the first several years of my writing carrier. I've had a handful of short stories published in sci-fi/fantasy mags and worked as managing editor on a lit mag for a year. I've always written for teens but for some reason never thought to join the ranks of SCBWI. Goofy me. What had I been thinking--wadding through all those "adult writers" when I could have been hangin' with you fun people? :D

So, basically I'm in the market for a new agent now, having parted ways with my last (who wasn't really ready to take me on as a YA writer), and am just finishing up with my latest WIP, a teen fantasy about a girl who's half faerie.

I look forward to getting to know all you talented people!

Rachel
#1322 - July 12, 2007, 09:20 AM

thirtycats

Hi Rachel!

It's nice to see your formal introduction!!!

I'm glad you're here  8)
#1323 - July 12, 2007, 10:38 AM

Wordaholic
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
You know, I haven't looked at this thread in a few months, and now I see how many interesting new people are joining. Welcome, everyone, to the Blueboards!

Karen
#1324 - July 13, 2007, 01:06 PM
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

Beachmom

Hello,
I've read this boards in the past but also just started posting and reading on a more regular basis. Lots of great information here! I'm a 2nd grade teacher and started my official dive into the world of writing for children about a year and half ago. My love is PB and I am working on several and have a few more out in circulation. I'm glad to be part of the blue boards.

Angel
#1325 - July 13, 2007, 06:49 PM

Mussel Bound

Welcome, everyone!

Angel, my favorite is PBs also - am in the process of tightening up one, with A LOT of help from the friendly, knowledgable people in here, and have a few more in my head fighting for the chance to be next.
 :!
#1326 - July 13, 2007, 09:13 PM

Jean

Greetings, I'm Jean from NC - beautiful Indian Trail to be exact. I'm a retired educator who's been writing, submitting, and pursuing publication for about four years. I've heard great things about this board from members of my local critique group (go Mudskippers!) and am eager to learn all I can from the terrific writers, agents, and publishers out there.  Thanks for letting listen in on your discussions.
#1327 - July 14, 2007, 07:18 PM

Donna

WELCOME! Jean is a wonderful person and the glue that keeps our Mudskippers together!

I'm glad you're finally here. I expect to see your name in the GOOD NEWS section soon. :)

Hugs,
me

:hug1:
#1328 - July 14, 2007, 08:14 PM

starlight

hi everyone
i'm new here. I write children fantasy :angel
i want to wish everyone good luck  :reading2:
#1329 - July 16, 2007, 07:25 AM

tfb3

Welcome Starlight!

And heyyyy Jean!    :hug1:  Tameka here (I just introduced myself on the blueboards several entries up)! 

Donna's right--we don't know where we'd be without Jean!

Gooooo Mudskippers!

:horse  Tameka
#1330 - July 16, 2007, 07:47 AM

Carla4

Hello everyone!  My name is Carla Sarratt.  I was told about this board by Paula Chase a few months back and reminded of it this weekend when I joined officially.

I am a native of Cleveland, Ohio but Charlotte, NC has been my home for 5 years now.  I moved to Charlotte when I was still a high school English teacher.  One day as a teacher, bored at an AVID meeting, I started writing what became my first published novel, Freshman Focus which was self-published this year.
I recently finished writing the sequel which is still untitled but two words keep sticking itself to my brain for this book.  Freshman Focus is YA and of course check out my website for the excerpt.

I queried three agents recently with one rejection so far, so we'll see how that goes this time around.
I've had my essay "The Sister Circle" published in SisterDivas magazine as well as stories, essays, and poetry published in two anthologies.
Not yet a member of SCBWI but I plan to change that.

Finally, I am happy to be here and look forward to all of the information and networking found here.
#1331 - July 16, 2007, 08:15 AM

Elysabeth

Welcome Carla - awesome credits - but self publishing has to be difficult - good luck with your sequel to the first one - E :)
#1332 - July 16, 2007, 02:23 PM

Donna

Welcome Starlight!

And heyyyy Jean!    :hug1:  Tameka here (I just introduced myself on the blueboards several entries up)! 

Donna's right--we don't know where we'd be without Jean!

Gooooo Mudskippers!

:horse  Tameka

TAMEKAAAAA!!!!!!!  Welcome, my friend! I'm looking to seeing more and more of your posts!

Hugs,
Donna
#1333 - July 16, 2007, 03:18 PM

Carla4

Welcome Carla - awesome credits - but self publishing has to be difficult - good luck with your sequel to the first one - E :)

Thank you!  It's been fun to self-publish as I have to work to promote myself, write another book and work a full time job, but I've loved it because it is giving me a chance to partially see what a potential agent would do on my behalf in the future.
#1334 - July 16, 2007, 03:19 PM

AisForAutism

Hi all! What a fun site! I happened on it while doing an internet search for research...looks fantastic.  I am launching a book titled A Is for Autism, F Is for Friend...A Kid's Book on Making Friends with a Child Who Has Autism.  It released from Autism Asperger Publishing Company in late April.  I just spent last week in Phoenix at the Autism Society of America National Conference and was thrilled to meet so many nice people and introduce my book to a captive audience. I look forward to seeking advice from this site. I am working on manuscript two currently.   :lov: Thank you!! 
#1335 - July 16, 2007, 08:12 PM

itlnbos

This website has been my guide to everything since I decided to try and get published.  I scan these message boards all the time.

My name is Megan and I am from the beautiful Pacific Northwest.  I live with my great husband and two girls, ages 9 and 11.
I used to write all the time back when I was younger, poems, songs, journalling.  I wanted to be a journalist back in college, unfortunately life caught up with me and I quit school and went into the work force.

You would not believe how many jobs I've gone through.  Well, I'll just tell you;  Pizza girl, record store, shoe store,  paralegal assistant, winery manager, two government jobs (insert snoring sounds here), jewelry store, toy sales, body product sales, soap making (which I actually decided I wasn't good enough at to make any money), and daycare.  I've probably forgotten a couple.  My husband has been a champion through my many professions.

I can probably thank my mother-in-law (God rest her soul) for getting me back into writing.  She was diagnosed with cancer about five years ago.  I closed my daycare and my husband and I took her into our home and did hospice care for her.  Unfortunately, she passed away a few weeks later.  Since I was no longer working, I decided to start writing again to fill the void, and pretty soon I had finished a paranormal MG/YA (haven't decided which category it actually falls into yet) novel.  Actually, I have finished two in a series, and am working on a third, as well as dabbling with other stories.

So, I guess that's my life as a writer, in a nutshell.  I've had many unbiased people read my book, and they seem to really like it.  Now if I could get that one agent who will love it, everything would be perfect.

Nice to meet everyone, and thanks to those who manage these message boards.
#1336 - July 17, 2007, 06:08 AM

Wordaholic
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome, all new Blueboarders!

My name is Megan and I am from the beautiful Pacific Northwest.  I live with my great husband and two girls, ages 9 and 11.

I'm from Snohomish originally, and now I'm in Olympia. Where do you hail from, Megan?

Karen
#1337 - July 17, 2007, 07:18 AM
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

itlnbos

Been in Tacoma my entire life except for a short stint in Portland, OR.  I wouldn't live anywhere else but the PN
#1338 - July 17, 2007, 07:39 AM

Jean

Tameka - Hiiiiii!!!!!

See you at Mudskippers.

Jean
#1339 - July 17, 2007, 07:21 PM

Jean

I am a native of Cleveland, Ohio but Charlotte, NC has been my home for 5 years now.  I moved to Charlotte when I was still a high school English teacher. 

Hello, Carla. I live in Indian Trail. We're practically neighbors. Welcome. Do you participate in the Charlotte Critique Group?

Jean
#1340 - July 17, 2007, 07:23 PM

Carla4

Hello, Carla. I live in Indian Trail. We're practically neighbors. Welcome. Do you participate in the Charlotte Critique Group?

Jean

I am very close to Indian Trail so yes we are practically neighbors times two.
Thank you for the welcome.  No, I'm not a member of that group.  I need to increase my memberships with writing related endeavors.
#1341 - July 18, 2007, 04:34 AM

LoisP

Hi,
I'm new here.
Been writing for adults for a number of years with quite a few literary short stories, essays, articles published in various print and online venues.
I am also a creative writing instructor and coordinator of the Surrey Creative Writing Diploma Program in BC, and operate a contract writing,editing and fundraising business in my housr away from my regular job as the Development Officer (marekting and fundraising) for a large suburban library system.
Just four months ago I started writing for children (discounting a few pb stories I wrote a number of years ago). I have one book for young readers 8-10 doing the rounds now Miss Stella's Mindful Moments, and three others in the works - Elsie and the Silver Rain, Escape to the Summer House, and Return of the Summer Fish
Most interested in picking up what I can about how the market works (the response time threads are going to be invalubale, I can see), picking the brains of the pubbed writers here, and contributing what I can.
Hello to everyone.
Lois Peterson
www.lpwordsolutions.com
Blogging at http://lpwords.blogspot.com/

#1342 - July 25, 2007, 04:10 PM

Welcome to the board, Lois. :)

#1343 - July 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Ranger K

Another newbie here.

I am a park guide with the National Park Service. I work at a Rev War park in NJ. As I do interpretation on a daily basis with the public, especially school groups, I've wanted to reach out to a wider audience for some time. There is so much history out there to be shared with children everywhere. Hopefully, I can bring it to them until they can experience it for themselves

I don't have any books out there - yet. I have one or two works in progress at the moment, but nothing ready for submission this early. Per advice that I've come across on these boards and elsewhere, I am redirecting some of my efforts into writing magazine articles first. As I understand it, it's a good way to garner some much needed experience and build up some credentials. I have done one or two articles in the past, but only for trade type publications. We'll see how things proceed from here.

Kevin 
#1344 - July 25, 2007, 06:49 PM

Jaina

Welcome, Kevin!  Be sure to check out current issues of Highlights.  It's a great market. :)
#1345 - July 25, 2007, 07:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Hi, I've been a silent observer for the last week and have just now decided to identify myself. I've recently completed a tween-age novel regarding the topic of archaeology and am now shopping it around to agents. I feel very humbled by the process. I am a global nomad with homes in both Thailand and Colorado. I am impressed with the professional quality of this chat room and look forward to interacting with all of you.
#1346 - July 25, 2007, 07:18 PM

Ranger K

Thanks Jaina:

I am particularly interested in Highlights. I have been researching their needs, as have been mentioned elsewhere in these boards. I have also reviewed their past issues for the last year and a half. I think at least one of my articles would be a good fit for them, but, then, that's my opinion. I also have another article, just started, which also may work as well. I haven't discounted some of the Carus group publications, even though they do work to a theme.

Kevin
#1347 - July 25, 2007, 07:30 PM

jadunham

Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Jean.  I love these discussion boards, they are so helpful.  I'm a fairly new writer - living in Austin, TX.  Thanks for your wonderful advice and words of wisdom.  Your creativity inspires me.

happy creating!
jean
#1348 - July 27, 2007, 12:43 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, Jean and Marcia! This is indeed a great place, for both information and support. Marcia, global nomad sounds like a nice moniker to have - as it happens, we are off to Thailand next week. Never been to Colorado, though!
#1349 - July 27, 2007, 01:20 AM

mara_jade3

Hello. I have been a member of this board for a while, but I have not introduced myself. My name is Jen. I'm almost 25 and I have recently finished my first novel after working on it, more like rewriting it, for ten years. I am just starting to send out queries again and hoping to get an agent, or a deal with a smaller publisher to get my start. I write YA fantasy, but also have ideas for horror and ghost stories.
#1350 - July 27, 2007, 08:33 PM

Members: