SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

SarahP

Welcome, new members! 

Good luck with your YA fantasy project, Jen! 
#1351 - July 28, 2007, 05:48 AM

pixydust

Welcome from another newbie. :D
#1352 - July 28, 2007, 09:48 AM

L.N.Lee

Hi everyone,  :typing:

Uh-wow-this board is awesome.  :o  I feel so small here... a lot of you have already been published or are waiting to be published.

My name is Laura and I've been writing since I was...eight? Seven? Barely into the teen years myself, I've started on several projects and finished none. I am hoping that the project I'm working on now-a YA novel- will get finished before school starts... I tend to procastinate a lot on my writing when I have hw and projects to worry about.

I now live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in Texas, and am currently thanking the air conditioner for keeping me out of the scorching weather outside.

I look forward to interacting with all of you.
#1353 - July 30, 2007, 12:26 PM

Welcome, Laura. I hope you have fun posting here! ;D

#1354 - July 31, 2007, 06:29 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

L.N.Lee

Thanks. So far I'm spending every minute of my internet time here.  ;D
#1355 - August 01, 2007, 06:57 AM

pixydust

I know what you mean! I need to be writing.... ::)

Welcome to the boards!
#1356 - August 01, 2007, 09:31 AM

ladyeclectic

Sarah Pearson here.  :horse  While not a newbie to writing, I've only recently remembered how I wanted so badly to be a writer when I was younger. Getting out of the school system and being tossed into the workforce threw me for a loop; I tried to write but found it difficult, and while I did churn out a fanfic or three I didn't really focus on my own world building.

I'm now trying to break into the short story market by publishing a few in SFF magazines. I'm also in the process of writing a UF YA novel along the lines of Holly Black (or hopefully along those lines, she's too good for words) or Cassandra Clare. I'm far from finishing it, still trying to hammer out plot details etc, but it feels SO good to be back in the author seat on original fiction!!

Several people have recommended these boards so I hope to become a regular. Thanks for having me!!

Sarah P.
http://ladyeclectic79.livejournal.com

P.S.: I am SO in love with yall's smilies right now, you know that?  :writing:
#1357 - August 02, 2007, 07:21 AM

Welcome to the board, Sarah! :)

#1358 - August 02, 2007, 06:16 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

L.N.Lee

P.S.: I am SO in love with yall's smilies right now, you know that?  :writing:
Same here. My favs are:
 :yay
 :dr
 :cuccoan: <---Wait, isn't this a chicken from some legend of zelda game?
 :faint:
#1359 - August 02, 2007, 06:27 PM

Mussel Bound

Welcome all you newbies - you're going to learn a lot and meet some amazing people in here; I know I have.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
#1360 - August 02, 2007, 07:01 PM

mara_jade3

Hey LauraLee! Welcome (and other newbies too, of course!)

You remind me of myself, Laura. I started when I was like five. lol And I am about to be 25 next month. I haven't been published yet either, but I have my one novel done. :D What genre is your YA novel? I write YA too.

~Jen  :werd
#1361 - August 02, 2007, 07:33 PM

KirstyAnn

Thanks. So far I'm spending every minute of my internet time here.  Grin

Welcome!  I know what you mean about spending every minute here ... it's terrible. I'm trying very hard to stay away and do some writing but I'm worried I might miss something!  But this weekend I will ... really... well maybe just limit my time ... aaaaaah who am I kidding!!  There is so much to learn and this really is a great place to learn.  I've been here a little while and I still can't believe how friendly and helpful everyone here is.

I feel so small here... a lot of you have already been published or are waiting to be published.

Don't worry I'm small with you!  I've never been published and this is really my first serious attempt at writing more than a first paragraph.  I have so many brilliant first paragraphs you wouldn't believe it ... sadly, I seem to lose all interest after that.  But procrastination is an artform and I feel I am working it to perfection ..... hmmmm lurking around these boards day and night is not helping my procrastination any  :faint

#1362 - August 03, 2007, 02:36 AM

L.N.Lee

What genre is your YA novel? I write YA too.

Supernatural/Fantasy. So far, it's up to 10,000 something words. That's more than I've ever written in my life!

#1363 - August 03, 2007, 06:23 AM

L.N.Lee

I know what you mean about spending every minute here ... it's terrible. I'm trying very hard to stay away and do some writing but I'm worried I might miss something!   There is so much to learn and this really is a great place to learn.  I've been here a little while and I still can't believe how friendly and helpful everyone here is.

Don't worry I'm small with you!  I've never been published and this is really my first serious attempt at writing more than a first paragraph.  I have so many brilliant first paragraphs you wouldn't believe it ... sadly, I seem to lose all interest after that.  But procrastination is an artform and I feel I am working it to perfection ..... hmmmm lurking around these boards day and night is not helping my procrastination any  :faint

Well, my internet time is separate from my writing time, so I still get a lot of writing done.
My internet time is in the morning, when I'm SUPPOSED to do my Geometry HW. Of course, like any other teenager, I find it hard to stay on task.  :jump

I used to procrastinate during school (on my writing, I mean, not my hw. Thank God for that.) but recently, with the first draft writing thing going on this month, I've now reached about 5-10 pgs a day. woot!
#1364 - August 03, 2007, 06:28 AM

mara_jade3

Supernatural/Fantasy. So far, it's up to 10,000 something words. That's more than I've ever written in my life!

Wow! Congrats! That's an accomplishment then! :D If you ever need someone to read it, let me know. I like that type of genre. :) I write fantasy too. I have supernatural ideas, but haven't gotten to those stories yet though. hehe
#1365 - August 03, 2007, 08:48 AM

L.N.Lee

Wow! Congrats! That's an accomplishment then! :D If you ever need someone to read it, let me know. I like that type of genre. :) I write fantasy too. I have supernatural ideas, but haven't gotten to those stories yet though. hehe
Thanks! I'll let you know when I'm finished with it... Until then...  :typing:
#1366 - August 03, 2007, 09:41 AM

mara_jade3

Okay! :D Can't wait! Happy typing!! I am being bad and writing fanfiction instead of my next novel...  :devil: I should really get back to work, but I am quite obsessed with this fandom right now. :P Anyway, keep writing! You will get there. I know it! 5-10 pages a day is wonderful!! :yay
#1367 - August 03, 2007, 09:49 AM

L.N.Lee

Okay! :D Can't wait! Happy typing!! I am being bad and writing fanfiction instead of my next novel...  :devil: I should really get back to work, but I am quite obsessed with this fandom right now. :P Anyway, keep writing! You will get there. I know it! 5-10 pages a day is wonderful!! :yay
Hah-ha. Yes, fanfiction is very addicting. Which type do you write?
#1368 - August 03, 2007, 09:52 AM

mara_jade3

Hah-ha. Yes, fanfiction is very addicting. Which type do you write?

lol Glad I am not the only one. :P Right now I am writing a Peter Pan/Wendy fic. But I have ones going for Ghost Rider, The Mummy, and Dead Like Me.
#1369 - August 03, 2007, 09:54 AM

L.N.Lee

lol Glad I am not the only one. :P Right now I am writing a Peter Pan/Wendy fic. But I have ones going for Ghost Rider, The Mummy, and Dead Like Me.
Cool. I do Twilight fanfics...and did a Fruits Basket (anime) one a while back. My friends are obssessed at reading fanfics.
#1370 - August 03, 2007, 04:28 PM

Cuttlequeep

Yet another newbie here. I joined a little while ago but haven't taken the time to post yet.
I'm a male teenager from Washington. Writing is only a hobbie for me, but maybe I'll try submiting something once I better understand how things work. Until then, this forum should be useful. ;D
#1371 - August 03, 2007, 07:02 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Welcome!  The guys are somewhat in a minority around here, especially the younger ones.  We have a number of discussions where your point of view will be extremely valuable!  Hope you become a frequent poster!
#1372 - August 03, 2007, 08:42 PM

L.N.Lee

Yet another newbie here. I joined a little while ago but haven't taken the time to post yet.
I'm a male teenager from Washington. Writing is only a hobbie for me, but maybe I'll try submiting something once I better understand how things work. Until then, this forum should be useful. ;D
Yes! Another teenager!  :D Welcome from another newbie!
#1373 - August 04, 2007, 07:09 AM

PDM

...as it happens, we are off to Thailand next week. Never been to Colorado, though!

If you're in Pattaya, check out the Pattaya Mail newspaper there. It's very good. Plus it has a little Wombat cartoon in it...

You can definitely learn a lot from these boards, and if you do searches, you can uncover a great wealth of knowledge.
#1374 - August 04, 2007, 07:12 PM

ladyeclectic

It's amazing how many YA authors there are on these boards; when someone suggested I come here I was so afraid it would be all children's stuff (nothing wrong with that but not what my aim is)!! I'm trying to do some short stories as well as a fantasy YA, and I think it's going to be an awesome board! Thanks for having me.
:duh:

Sarah
#1375 - August 04, 2007, 08:32 PM

Judy43

Hi...I'm Judy Mammay and new here today, although I have been writing for a few years. When I retired from teaching, I knew I needed something else to do, so decided to write books for kids.  I live in Florida...a transplanted New Englander.  Am looking forward to  getting to know people here.

I write a little of everything...have had a couple of articles published in a magazine, I have an easy reader out and an MG about to come out, and I also write in verse...the rhyming kind.

#1376 - August 05, 2007, 07:13 PM

L.N.Lee

It's amazing how many YA authors there are on these boards; when someone suggested I come here I was so afraid it would be all children's stuff (nothing wrong with that but not what my aim is)!! I'm trying to do some short stories as well as a fantasy YA, and I think it's going to be an awesome board! Thanks for having me.
:duh:

Sarah
hahah...yeah I thought the same thing. I was like: Children's writer....
CHILDREN?!?
#1377 - August 06, 2007, 06:10 AM

L.N.Lee

Hi...I'm Judy Mammay and new here today, although I have been writing for a few years. When I retired from teaching, I knew I needed something else to do, so decided to write books for kids.  I live in Florida...a transplanted New Englander.  Am looking forward to  getting to know people here.

I write a little of everything...have had a couple of articles published in a magazine, I have an easy reader out and an MG about to come out, and I also write in verse...the rhyming kind.

Welcome! Yet another member!  :yay
#1378 - August 06, 2007, 06:11 AM

ladyeclectic

hahah...yeah I thought the same thing. I was like: Children's writer....
CHILDREN?!?
A member of my crit group also suggested I join SCBWI and when I looked into the group I was all: 'Nuh uh, am so not a kids or picture book kinda gal.'

'Course, meeting all the YA/MG authors here has given me cause to look again at the group but alas, no fundage. Woe is me. Someday perhaps, someday... ;-)

I like it here. There's a broad range of topics in the archives and people continually ask the questions I always wondered but was too scared shy to ask. ;-)

And   :phat Welcome to the boards Judy!!
#1379 - August 06, 2007, 12:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Welcome Judy!

Moved to Florida, huh!...and still writing up a storm!
This is a great neighborhood to hang around in. There's lots of sharing going on... so don't forget to post when your book comes out. You can share more about it now though.

Enjoy it here-I bet you'll see lots of people you "know" besides me.

Mona (who's still in Maine and still attends NE conference with excitement!)   :D

#1380 - August 07, 2007, 02:24 AM

Members: