SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

ColdWolf07

HELLO EVERYONE I am new to this website and knew to the finishing novel world ( i have started MANY MANY books, but never seemed to finish one, then all of a sudden, I finish one, and have the roughest of rough drafts written for two more books.. I can't believe it)

I am here to learn and get tips. I have never published any works of art/literature or anything like that, I am, like I said new. I have dabbled in many different types of literature however..

GOsh, lol, I've gotten this far without introducing myself.

My name is Jeremy D.T. Garrett, or GGTran, Or ColdWolf.. depends on whichever one you want to call me

I am young (Though i am of the adult age.. barely) I can drive but i CANNOT drink, (Though I prolly wouldn't anyway).

All the terms you guys use are like chinese to me, but I think It won't take long learning. I am here to learn from everyone, talk to as many people as I can, critique work if need be, have my work critique, maybe write with an author or two about whatever genre they want, have a good time, and many other things

I am in the process of TrYiNg to find a literary agent, it isn't easy let me tell ya. Well, for some it probably is, but for me... damn near impossible....

Well.. that is all for now.. if you want to talk more, either post or email me at ColdWolf07@yahoo.com
#1381 - August 07, 2007, 08:40 AM

Judy43

:study
Hi Mona, and all the rest...Actually, I thought about coming back to New England to attend the SCBWI conference there, but it did not fit into the budget this year...now that I am retired from teaching and any 'real' paycheck coming in. And you're right...there are a bunch of people on here I know...and probably a lot I know, but don't know I know, since I am not yet able to check bios.

YESTERDAY, I just finished my WIP MG book after about two years of trying to get the last quarter of it done (and/or figuring out any number of reasons to NOT work on it. Now starts the process of revision...have had much of it critiqued already, so now I need to apply the crits to the document.

My MG coming out in October is KNOWING JOSEPH, about the brother of a boy with autism who struggles with that, his own need to be perfect, and the bullies who taunt him because of his brother. My WIP is actually about one of the bullies it KJ. I have a website...are we allowed to put them on here? My other book that is already out is also about a boy with autism, but is an easy reader.

Am looking forward to getting to know everyone better.
#1382 - August 07, 2007, 11:51 AM

L.N.Lee

Wow...I haven't finished any so far, but am currently about 20 K on one of my projects.
#1383 - August 07, 2007, 04:26 PM

ladyeclectic

Welcome to the forums Jeremy!! I totally understand starting twenty-million projects and not finishing anything, I've started so many novels through the years (most of which have disappeared through the ages, sadly enough) and never finished anything except short stories. Congrats on finishing, now for the fun part of revisions right? :D

Just keep :writing3: and surfing these boards for information and good luck with your endeavors! :D

Sarah
#1384 - August 07, 2007, 08:42 PM

ColdWolf07

Exactly.. revision sucks, but thank God I have been working on this thing for a while, so I am on the FINAL revision process... its pretty cool.. I have taken the book to what hopes to be the final Cutting board (Though there are a few minor things I think I need to work on)

But yeah, its gonna be a good book I think, and all my friends seem to have liked it, what little bits i have let them read

Thanks for the encouragement Sarah

jeremy
#1385 - August 07, 2007, 09:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Exactly.. revision sucks

There will come a point, Jeremy, when you'll realize that revision doesn't suck at all.  Revision is a constant process where the real writing occurs.  That's when you really get to explore and know your characters and your story line. 

At any rate, welcome to the board, it's great to see some younger guys emerge here.
#1386 - August 08, 2007, 04:00 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Judy
Congratulations on the upcoming books!
Welcome here.
Mona   ;)
#1387 - August 08, 2007, 04:21 AM

ColdWolf07

Yeah.. I know.. lol.. I just haven gotten to a point where I know my story inside and out... That rewriting it becomes... I don't know. a little discouraging or something....
#1388 - August 08, 2007, 08:33 AM

Judy43

:banghead: Don't bang your head TOO hard on the revisions, Jeremy. Have you had your work critiqued? It makes revisions much easier. I just started the revisions on my MG today, and actually find them much easier to do than writing the book itself. At least now I have something to work from.

I am also thinking of looking for an agent...but haven't decided for sure. There are both advantages and disadvantages to having one, I guess, and I hear they are sometimes just as hard or harder to find than a publisher.

Good luck with both revisions AND agent hunting, and keep us informed as to how they are going. What is the title of your book?

Judy
#1389 - August 08, 2007, 07:42 PM

L.N.Lee

Yeah.. I know.. lol.. I just haven gotten to a point where I know my story inside and out... That rewriting it becomes... I don't know. a little discouraging or something....
Hah,hah. I feel the same way...sort of. I am not looking forward to revising...
I do agree with Judy, though, having your work critiqued is an easy way to revise.
My friends are DYING to critique mine. They come up with several pages of revision and I constantly have to remind them that I haven't finished the first draft yet...  :typing:
#1390 - August 09, 2007, 06:50 AM

Cuttlequeep

Since I'm used to writing short stories, I'm not sure where to start revising my longer book. Does this website have suggestions for that?
#1391 - August 09, 2007, 07:45 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Cuttlequeep,

This website has just about everything.  But in order to show you those threads, anyone else would have to use the search engine, so I suggest the same to you. :)

Search "revision" to start.

AM
#1392 - August 09, 2007, 07:51 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Cuttlequeep

Well, thanks.http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=3612.msg38867#msg38867 at post 15 is exactly what I was looking for, if anyone else wants it.
#1393 - August 09, 2007, 08:14 AM

Enya

Hello everyone!

My name is Sarah. I am a YA fantasy/adventure writer. The series of books I am working on takes place in a medieval-type setting, but I also write contemporary fantasy novels and fantasy and sci fi short stories.

I, too was a little confused about whether I belonged here or not, because it is predominantly children's lit, but I was referred by a fellow author, so here I am!

I am currently trying to find an agent and/or publisher for my first novel, The Golden Flame the Silver Tree. I suppose the main reason I'm here is for support, so it will be nice to talk to everyone!
#1394 - August 10, 2007, 09:50 AM
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 08:39 AM by Enya »

Redban

Hello all!  I'm brand spankin new here, but I do confess that I have been lurking for a while.  I am currently working on a YA fantasy and so far it is going pretty well, I am up to about 50,000 words.  :jump  I'm thinking it'll probably be around 80 or 90 thousand by the end, then I can start the slash and burn process and get it back down to 50,000.   :moose
I live in Florida right now and I am of an indiscriminate age.   Nice to meet ya'll!
#1395 - August 10, 2007, 01:42 PM

L.N.Lee

Welcome to all! Glad you found us! Not to be cheesy or anything...  :dr
#1396 - August 10, 2007, 02:36 PM

Judy43

:reading2: Welcome Sarah and Redban! I'm pretty new here, too, but from what I have seen so far, you'll find any kind of support you need.  AND I am also from Florida. Are either of you anywhere near the Space Coast?
#1397 - August 10, 2007, 05:47 PM

Redban

I live about 2 1/2 hours from there, I think.  I just moved here about a year ago, so I am still figuring out how far away stuff is.  I do know that I am about 1 1/2 hours from St Augustine and 2 hours from Orlando.   My friends and I have been saying we are gonna head over to the Space Center and take a tour, but we haven't gotten around to it yet.    :balloongroup:
#1398 - August 10, 2007, 11:01 PM

L.N.Lee

I live about 2 1/2 hours from there, I think.  I just moved here about a year ago, so I am still figuring out how far away stuff is.  I do know that I am about 1 1/2 hours from St Augustine and 2 hours from Orlando.   My friends and I have been saying we are gonna head over to the Space Center and take a tour, but we haven't gotten around to it yet.    :balloongroup:
I used to live in FL, around Daytona Beach.
#1399 - August 11, 2007, 07:59 AM

L.N.Lee

I live outside of Tampa a ways. It's a nice place, but a bit warm for my taste.
not to mention humid.
#1400 - August 11, 2007, 11:12 AM

Judy43

Redban, I'd have to get a map out to see where you are...don't know where St. Augustine is yet. I know pretty much what is along the coast a little north, but more south. We are an hour southeast of Orlando.

I DO know that Tampa is on the opposite coast though, right?   :dancing:

You're right about the heat and humidity, although the weather man promised it would be cooler tomorrow (Sunday)...it's ONLY going to be 90-92! :eek5:
#1401 - August 11, 2007, 12:51 PM

Redban

I am in Gainesville.  St Augustine is right next to Jacksonville.   
I haven't been to Tampa yet,  but I know a few people who are from there or have family there. 
#1402 - August 11, 2007, 04:22 PM

Enya

Tell me about humid! It poured today, so tomorrow will be incredibly humid!
#1403 - August 11, 2007, 06:34 PM

Judy43

Thanks, Redban...now I know where everything is!

Wow--50,000 words is a lot! I just finished a mid-grade and thought I was doing well to get to 29,000. My first MG was only about 19,000.

Judy
#1404 - August 12, 2007, 05:13 AM
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:16 AM by Judy43 »

ladyeclectic

Welcome to the boards Redban and Sarah! Always awesome to have more YA fantasy writers on here. :D Have fun looking around!!  :girl
#1405 - August 12, 2007, 10:20 AM

ColdWolf07

Hey Enya.

Hey.. Listen do me a favor and email me please.. I have to ask ya something. I tried to pm ya.. but it wouldn't work

My email is ColdWolf07@yahoo.com

I can understand if you don't.. why email someone you don't know, But it is rather important, and I am sure it will be helpful for both of us

Thank you

And HOLA to all the new people out there.
#1406 - August 12, 2007, 10:52 AM

Redban

Thanks, Redban...now I know where everything is!

Wow--50,000 words is a lot! I just finished a mid-grade and thought I was doing well to get to 29,000. My first MG was only about 19,000.

Judy

I imagine by the time I get through editing I will have taken out quite a bit.  I am up to about 60,000 now and I'm a little concerned I'm taking it too fast.  I don't want it much longer than it is now, but I still have more to write.  Right now, my plan is to finish my story and edit it down later.   :horse
#1407 - August 12, 2007, 11:54 PM

Judy43

That's a good plan, Redban...I've heard it said that we should just get it down first, and then do the edits, rather than edit on the way, because creating and editing use two different sides of the brain. If we try to edit while still writing the story we lose some of our creativity.

Good luck.

:reading2:
#1408 - August 13, 2007, 05:22 AM

amberzak

My name is Rebekah and I am an aspiring children's writer with an interest in fantasy.

I work in a cinema and end up doing mot of my writing while at work because it's dead boring.  :faint:

I live in the south of England and I am going to University to study creative writing English and Media Production. I will then train to be a primary school teacher.

I am an avid reader  :study Always reading books, but mainly children's books.

Other than when reading, I write. I writes loads a day, but I rarely keep any of it.  :paper:
#1409 - August 13, 2007, 10:05 AM

L.N.Lee

My name is Rebekah and I am an aspiring children's writer with an interest in fantasy.

I work in a cinema and end up doing mot of my writing while at work because it's dead boring.  :faint:

I live in the south of England and I am going to University to study creative writing English and Media Production. I will then train to be a primary school teacher.

I am an avid reader  :study Always reading books, but mainly children's books.

Other than when reading, I write. I writes loads a day, but I rarely keep any of it.  :paper:
Welcome! Wow, England!
#1410 - August 13, 2007, 04:01 PM

Members: