SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Welcome aboard, Laffter. ;D

#1501 - October 21, 2007, 07:02 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Also just found this thread after lurking around for a couple of weeks and posting a couple of questions. 

I am a mom of four boys and a school-based occupational therapist.  I've always written but am pleased to have the time to pursue it more seriously.  Two big relocations in two years due my husband's job now allows me to be home with my kids.  I love having a little time to also focus on what I like to do. Moving is a great way to clear your schedule--once you survive the actual move!

I finished my first MG novel last spring and have a couple more in the works along with two early readers.  Hopefully all the great advice will lead me in the right direction. I love to write boy-friendly material--for obvious reasons!   
#1502 - October 22, 2007, 08:42 AM

Welcome to the board, jojohn. :)

#1503 - October 22, 2007, 07:17 PM

scribe

Hello everyone,
I'm Evie from Long Island, another really old person. :D I have had a tiny amount of success, but I am sure you all know once you have tasted the waters, you long for more, and my taste was only a sip. ;D
I have two grown children, one grandchild, one husband, and one pia hybrid dog. Since retirement I have more time on my hands, and would like to get into writing full blast.  :dancing:. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Have a blessed day to all.
Evie
#1504 - October 27, 2007, 02:19 PM

Welcome aboard, Evie! :)

#1505 - October 27, 2007, 06:50 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Hi,
I'm Deb. I'm new to the board (although I have lurked here a few times), but I'm not new to writing. I've been writing since I picked up a pencil. I wrote and produced a play that my 3rd grade class presented, and I was the hit of my 6th grade class with my "spelling word" stories. Several of my short stories were published in national children's magazines when my children were young, but my life got too hectic and I put aside submitting (but never put aside writing) for quite a few years. Now that the kids have moved out, I find myself with a bit more time to pursue my writing seriously.

• I've finished a middle grade novel and several picture book and short story manuscripts.
  • I belong to 2 critique groups (one for general writing and one for children's writing.)
  • I pitched my middle grade novel to 2 different agents at a writer's conference this summer (both wanted to see it!.)
  • I started a blog in September that shares the story of me and my pet rabbit's rocky relationship (she hated women, but she's better now!)

Looking forward to meeting lots of new friends on this forum!
#1506 - October 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 06:36 PM by Deb Cushman »

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Poster Plus
Hi,
My name is Pam, I am in my late 30's and I have been a Head Start teacher for almost 15 years now. I was an avid writer as a child, but found myself starting a family in college with little spare time. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say I started around 50 books, mainly adult, during my twenties! I always had some excuse not to continue. I found myself unable to stop one of these in late-2005. My husband's reaction to my writing was the final straw of my marriage, and now here I am, two years later with nearly three books finished. But no takers. I know it is a matter of investing the time in my queries, but it is difficult with four kids, a fulltime job and a still difficult divorce in process to use what little time I have for writing on queries. I have made a promise to do EVERYTHING I can by the end of this year! If I still have no bites, I will start one of my numerous other ideas and shelf my series.

I want to say thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome and for all the help!
#1507 - October 28, 2007, 03:48 PM

Welcome, Deb and Pam. :)

#1508 - October 28, 2007, 06:00 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI Regional Moderator
I'm pretty new here, but this is the longest thread I've seen on the blue boards...

I've illustrated 24 published early reader books and wrote one. I'm currently working on creating dummies for two picture book manuscripts I wrote. I've had some really helpful critiques from Art Directors lately at conferences which you can read about on my blog ( http://kristivaliant.blogspot.com ). Some of my favorite things in life are my husband, close friends and fam, coconut ice cream, swing dancing, musicals, reading, my elliptical machine, and above all, my faith in Jesus. I graduated from Columbus College of Art & Design, and I'm full-time freelance doing mostly illustration with a bit of graphic design and web design thrown in there.

I'm probably going to go to the national SCBWI conference in New York in February. Hope to meet some of you there!

Warm wishes,
Kristi Valiant
#1509 - October 28, 2007, 08:34 PM
Kristi Valiant
Illustrator: PRETTY MINNIE IN PARIS, written by Danielle Steel, Doubleday 2014
Author/illustrator: PENGUIN CHA-CHA, Random House 2013

Carrie Jones

Hi, I'm Carrie Jones.
My first novel, TIPS ON HAVING A GAY (ex) BOYFRIEND debuted in May. It's YA. Not a picture book. I swear.
My next two books appear in March and July 2008. Then I have a couple more books coming out after that.

What else?
I live in Maine. It was ridiculously cold here today. I had to put on mittens when I walked the dog. My dog is huge and furry and she likes to hug. Believe me, she is a good and accomplished hugger. If you ever need one, come on over.
#1510 - October 29, 2007, 05:38 PM

Welcome to the board, Carrie and Kristi. Congratulations on getting published! ;D

#1511 - October 29, 2007, 06:07 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi Carrie!  Welcome!   :jump

It was ridiculously cold in Massachusetts, too.  Twenty-four degrees at 6:15.  Brr.
#1512 - October 29, 2007, 07:02 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

goadingthepen

Wow! Lots of new members. I haven't visited this post in a very long time! Sounds like it is time for a party!

Carrie great to see you over hear!

:balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup: :balloongroup:
#1513 - October 29, 2007, 07:14 PM

eye write

Hello, I'm new to the site.  I've just finished writing my first children's book.  Should I seek out an agent or submit directly to publishers? 
#1514 - October 30, 2007, 05:56 PM

Welcome, eyewrite. :)

I'm not published yet myself, but I've heard that it would be easier to find publishers that accept new authors than it would be to find agents who do.  :-\
#1515 - October 30, 2007, 06:33 PM

eye write

Thanks, G.R.  It's a difficult deciding which approach to take.  I've written for years, but have only reached the point where my writing material is of a quality where it could be published.  When submitting directly to publishers, should a writer be concerned that their work will be rejected, but the idea stolen? 
#1516 - October 30, 2007, 07:10 PM

moomoowrites

Hi everyone!  I'm new here and unpublished BUT I can't help but write.  I haven't grown up yet.   :jump  Currently hitting a block with writing nonfiction, so I'm going back to the fiction stories.  I'm almost finished with my second ICL course - Beyond the Basics.   :writing3:  I think I need a kick in the bee hind.  I hope to get lots of encouragement and inspiration from you all and give it as well.  Oh, I'm also a member of SCBWI, too.   :study
#1517 - November 03, 2007, 08:01 AM

Mussel Bound

Just stopped by to welcome all the newbies.  You've found an excellent resource for writing information, motivation and much more.

And Laffter, I love your screen name!
#1518 - November 03, 2007, 02:09 PM

blythe

Is it easier to learn to swim or breathe water?

The first chapters of my first book are with a very kind editor. That book is, at the moment, unfinished, and I'm determined not to bother that kind editor until it is finished. I have learned a great deal about readability since those early chapters were drafted. I'd like to revise the early chapters because reviewing them triggers more ideas and helps the whole writing process move along.

Question 1: Is it fair to revise while work is with an editor?

Question 2: Should I start seeking an agent as soon as I have the book done? It should be done by the New Year.

Question 3: I've started another, quite, different book. Bad idea?

To introduce myself: I am writing a book by accident. I index scholarly books for a living. I don't have much time to devote to fiction, but I find the writing process pleasant--it is very like reading. My previous careers were goat herd, artist's model, editorial assistant, library clerk, teacher, and copy editor. In my spare time I raise children. I spend most of my time mystified.
#1519 - November 03, 2007, 09:42 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
What an enjoyable introduction. Welcome, Blythe!

Cassandra
#1520 - November 03, 2007, 10:18 PM

Shelly Lynn

Hello everyone!
My name is Shelly and I mainly write PB's. I have written 2 and am working on my third. I have just started sending them out and am hopeful for a positive response soon. I have two children that keep me very busy, but I wouldn't trade these years for anything!

Anyway, this is a great site! I am so glad to have found it when i did.
#1521 - November 04, 2007, 05:17 PM

Welcome aboard, Shelly Lynn. I'm glad you've been enjoying it here so far! ;D

When submitting directly to publishers, should a writer be concerned that their work will be rejected, but the idea stolen?

I hadn't really thought of that before, but I would hope that the publishing houses have taken care to hire editors and readers who are honest enough to not do stuff like that...  ??? Anybody else here have any thoughts on this?
#1522 - November 04, 2007, 07:05 PM
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 07:07 PM by G.R. »

NiennaC

Brand new! I've been lurking for a while now, and just decided to join! Still learning the lay of the land, so to speak. I'm also NiennaC at AW, for anyone whose from there. I shall go forth now and explore  :horse < because I wanted a reason to use this icon.

Oh, and a little about me:

I'm a YA Fantasy writer with a website, a little blog and some pretty lofty writing dreams.
#1523 - November 05, 2007, 04:41 PM

Welcome to the board, Nienna C. I hope you have fun here! :)

#1524 - November 05, 2007, 06:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Welcome, recent new folks!

Blythe, I love your opening line. I can see you know how to hook a reader!
Nienna, you can put your website and blog addresses in your signature line if you like, so that people can visit and get to know you. "Lofty writing dreams" are our stock in trade around here, so you should fit right in.
#1525 - November 06, 2007, 03:46 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Hi Nienna! I recognize you from AW. (I occasionally browse there while doing agent research, and you're on a lot of the threads of people I've checked out.) Welcome to Verla's!
#1526 - November 06, 2007, 10:22 AM

Arya

Hey everybody! I'm new.    :band
My name is Arya, I'm 15, and I'm from the United States (California, to be exact). I love writing and I'm currently working on a novel following the lives of four teenage girls with major issues and disorders.  :reading2
#1527 - November 06, 2007, 06:21 PM

Welcome, Arya! :) That sounds like an interesting project you're working on.

#1528 - November 06, 2007, 06:27 PM

Arya

Thank you :)
#1529 - November 06, 2007, 06:34 PM

Legionsynch

Hi all,

I'm Scott, and I mainly write YA urban fantasy.  Sorcerers, spells, and superlatives mainly. I'm currently on my second novel's second draft, after a pretty enlightening trip through the 'finding an agent' obsession with my first novel. 
#1530 - November 07, 2007, 06:12 PM

Members: