SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

BJNewman

Thanks, Greeneyes and Meg for the welcome.

Barbjn
#1591 - December 05, 2007, 08:15 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome to all the newbies!  You have found a wonderful supportive place! This is IMHO the greatest children's writers' website in the universe!   
:cheerleader
#1592 - December 06, 2007, 02:34 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Walks_Btwn_Sight_Unseen

Welcome to all the newbies!  You have found a wonderful supportive place! This is IMHO the greatest children's writers' website in the universe!   
:cheerleader

Thank you for youe lovely welcome! It does look like it. I found this site so randomly, and I am quickly becoming addictive. It is so informative, the mods are so nice, everything is great. I am very pleased to be here.  ;D
#1593 - December 06, 2007, 07:24 AM

eye write

Touche!  :applause
#1594 - December 06, 2007, 06:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
More new people - yay!  :applause Welcome, everyone. This is a terrific place to be!
#1595 - December 08, 2007, 04:39 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

daughterofnone

Hello, all - I found these forums through an agent's blog and have been lurking here for a couple weeks. I just received my very first rejection letter (on a PB) and suddenly feel legitimate! ;) I've been writing contract and freelance for a couple of years for different industry magazines, have a YA fantasy novel in the editing stages and another that I'm mapping out when I'm thoroughly fed up with editing and need a break. I've also written several PBs for my daughter and my friends' children that I've just begun submitting to publishers. I'm already grateful for all the wonderful information I've found here - you all seem like lovely, talented people!
#1596 - December 09, 2007, 03:34 PM

Welcome daughterofnone!   :cheerleader  This is an awesome site and you'll probably end up finding your breaks stretch out much longer than you intended!
#1597 - December 09, 2007, 04:56 PM

m_stiefvater

Hi y'all! I've been lurking for a bit, ever since Melissa Marr mentioned the boards over on another forum I'm a member of (I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it here . . . guess I need to spend a bit more quality time with the user agreement). I'd heard of them before but I'd never really made it over to join.

Anyway, I'm Maggie Stiefvater, and my YA urban fantasy, LAMENT, is coming out this coming fall from Flux/ Llewellyn Worldwide. I'm very excited about it and very glad to be here!
#1598 - December 10, 2007, 06:30 AM

Maggie, welcome!  That's AWESOME news about your book!  I hope you'll post about the ups and downs of preparing for a book launch.
#1599 - December 10, 2007, 05:13 PM

m_stiefvater

Yes! I'll try to be diligent about posting.
#1600 - December 10, 2007, 08:09 PM

SusanAdrian

Whoops! Um...should have posted here first instead of...everywhere else.  :P Sorry!

I'm Susan, a scientific editor in my day job. I have an adult historical firmly under the bed, a YA fantasy out there (2 fulls and 7 outstanding queries out now, I think) and a YA paranormal-ish in progress. I found my way here through Melissa Marr and Jackson Pearce. (when you hear someplace recommended twice, you have to follow up, right?)

I'm loving this place already. Though {whispering} it is a bit of a time-sucker, isn't it?

Susan
#1601 - December 11, 2007, 09:26 AM

Hi y'all! I've been lurking for a bit, ever since Melissa Marr mentioned the boards over on another forum I'm a member of (I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it here . . . guess I need to spend a bit more quality time with the user agreement). I'd heard of them before but I'd never really made it over to join.

Anyway, I'm Maggie Stiefvater, and my YA urban fantasy, LAMENT, is coming out this coming fall from Flux/ Llewellyn Worldwide. I'm very excited about it and very glad to be here!

Hi Maggie! I know you from over at WC, although I haven't visited there is sooo long, you might remember me (az4ever). I didn't know you write too! This is a great place, with tons of great info. Glad you found us. Congrats on your book!!

gail
#1602 - December 11, 2007, 10:35 AM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I'm loving this place already. Though {whispering} it is a bit of a time-sucker, isn't it?

Welcome, Susan! You have such great projects going... And yes {whispering}, it can be a time-sucker but you won't find any other kid lit community like it! Best wishes on your publishing journey ;D!

Edna
#1603 - December 11, 2007, 10:48 AM
Forthcoming books:
HONU AND MOA (fall 2018), author/illustrator
THANKU picture book anthology (fall 2019), contributor

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
 :welcome Susan.  And you are right. This place can definitely be a time-sucker if you let it.  :stuck The thing to do (someone please teach me how?) is to use it like any other tool.  Come visit when you need a lift-me-up  :hug and information  :reading2 or when you have some free time and just want to play.  :dreidel

(And if YOU think it's a time-sucker... try being me. :dr :dr :dr)
#1604 - December 11, 2007, 12:05 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

SusanAdrian

Thanks, Edna! I'm riding on all the good news around here today. Some of that mojo's got to rub off. :)
#1605 - December 11, 2007, 12:23 PM

SusanAdrian

Thanks, Verla!! I appreciate the warm welcome!

Yes, I'm a mod of my own little group of friends board, and that sucks time like mad. Must...be...careful...

(one half of brain saying, oh, don't worry, you have self-discipline, you'll be fine)

(other half of brain screaming just a little)

Susan
#1606 - December 11, 2007, 12:24 PM

RuffianChick

Hello all.

I just signed up a day or so ago. My name is Destiny and I believe I was a member here once before over a year or so back. Had alot going on but have found my way back here!

I am a homeschooled student writer from Alaska. I started writing about 4 years ago. I am also a student of the Insitute of Children's Literature and I am looking to send in my 10th assignment in the next couple days! I'm looking forward to completeing my course after nearly 2 1/2 years of hard work. I write just about anything that strikes my fancy and have wrote poetry, short stories, and have attempted to write 3 novels (non near completion) 2 of which are Nanowrimo novels.

Other than writing I raise and play with my daughter, study, read, work my horse, and play with my dog.

RC   
#1607 - December 12, 2007, 05:40 PM

Welcome back, Destiny. :)

#1608 - December 12, 2007, 06:25 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

eye write

Welcome R-Chiick.   :clover1
#1609 - December 13, 2007, 03:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hello all!  I discovered this wonderful site through the SCBWI site.  I am thankful for finding it, as I have learned so much in the time I have perused the board!  My name is Kelly, as you may have guessed.  :ha I am a former grade school teacher who is now a stay at home mother of three wonderful children (an 8 year old boy, 5 year old girl and 3 year old boy).  I so enjoy children's literature and starting writing and taking online writing classes a few years ago.  I don't write as much as I should but try and squeeze in some writing time a few times a week at my son's naptime.  I am not yet published, but I intend to try and keep trying until I am!  My focus right now is poetry and trying to get a few picture books published.
#1610 - December 13, 2007, 05:19 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hello everyone,

I just joined at the beginning of the week and have quite quickly become 'addicted' to the site, feeling the need to check it as soon as I turn on the computer and again before I shut down--such a wealth of information, and the comments are all so supportive.

While I have always enjoyed writing, my output up until this year was minimal. It was far more exciting to talk about writing than to sit my butt on a chair and do it. This year, I pledged to bite my tongue and stop informing everyone I met that I wanted to write, and actually do something about it. It worked and I've written eight picture book texts (and foolishly went and got one illustrated before doing enough research to realize that is NOT the way to go about it), some poetry, and a load of short stories. And the goal is to push myself further next year. Well, the ultimate goal is publication and I set aside a bit of my time and energy for creative visualisation, but so far the publishers are only sending me rejections. At least they're writing back.....

My writing desk is in a terraced home in Northern England. I'm not a Brit by birth but my husband and daughter are. I grew up in New Hampshire and my immediate relatives now all live in Wisconsin.

I just joined SCBWI in June and have found everything to be extremely useful---from the newsletters posted from across the pond to the local branch meetings I attend.

As I'm still a newbie, I may just lurk on the board for awhile, but I will certainly be here!

Best wishes to all!

#1611 - December 13, 2007, 10:00 PM
MOTOR GOOSE (Feiwel&Friends, 2017)
IT'S RAINING BATS & FROGS (F&F, 2015)
THERE WAS A WEE LASSIE (Floris, 2014)
www.rebeccacolbybooks.com
@amscribbler

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Nunya! Welcome to Verla's Blue Boards.  :)
I enjoyed reading your post and love your enthusiasm! Make yourself comfortable here--folks are friendly and there's a lot to learn and share. Like people have said, in the preceding posts, these boards are a great tool but also a fun diversion...especially with all these awesome new smileys from Verla! Enjoy...and, er, don't bite off more than you can chew here...  :muffins  (hee hee, had to think of an excuse to use that smiley...)  :dr

Edna  :hangloose
#1612 - December 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
Forthcoming books:

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hi Edna,

I probably haven’t received enough rejection letters yet to dampen my enthusiasm, but I do feel being positive and believing things will turn out as you’d like help to go a long way. As my favorite W. Somerset Maugham quote goes, “It’s a funny thing about life: If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.”

Thank you for the warm and fun-filled welcome! The smileys are pretty cool, aren't they?!
Rebecca  ;D

#1613 - December 14, 2007, 11:45 AM
MOTOR GOOSE (Feiwel&Friends, 2017)
IT'S RAINING BATS & FROGS (F&F, 2015)
THERE WAS A WEE LASSIE (Floris, 2014)
www.rebeccacolbybooks.com
@amscribbler

Welcome Kelly and nunya!!!

:welcome
#1614 - December 14, 2007, 12:00 PM

Noodler & doodler
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oops, I forgot to welcome Kelly, too! Sorry about that! Oh, LOOK a smiley just for me:  :oops

Here's a jolly welcome for ya! ;D Wishing you a fruitful publishing journey while using these boards, Kelly. Here's some triple joy for creating and subbing your kid book mss...  :dancing

Cheers,
Edna  :cheerleader

(who's normally not so cutesy with posts but has to celebrate the new smileys somehow...)
#1615 - December 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:26 PM by ecm »
Forthcoming books:

bearsofbath

Post number one; how soon it's over. :artist1

Hi everyone
This is quite some chat board, I stop by and read it often. It seems only right that those, like me, who 'lurk in the shadows' should make ourselves known. My name is Paul and I live and work in Bath, England.
Thanks for this invaluable resource, as an artist attempting to turn images into words I need all the help I can get! I think I have already made all the mistakes in the book but thanks to this message board have saved embarrassment before submitting.
You're all so accomplished, even writing this is making me nervous!

#1616 - December 15, 2007, 02:30 AM
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:42 AM by bearsofbath »

Poster Plus
Welcome, Paul! I checked out your website and your bears are AMAZING!! Do you sell them online? They are just too cute.

We're glad to have you step out of the shadows -- this is a fabulous and friendly board, and we are very glad to make your acquaintance. (Pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable....)

#1617 - December 15, 2007, 04:10 AM

TrishD

Hi, I'm Trish. I live in Florida with my husband, two teenagers and The Cutest Dog in the World. I am a former radio personality and newspaper reporter, but these days I work at my local B&N and write YA.
#1618 - December 15, 2007, 05:07 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome, Paul! I love the bears you and your wife design and make. Wonderful!

Welcome, Trish! Glad to have you here!
#1619 - December 15, 2007, 05:16 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

bearsofbath

Welcome, Paul! I checked out your website and your bears are AMAZING!! Do you sell them online? They are just too cute.

We're glad to have you step out of the shadows -- this is a fabulous and friendly board, and we are very glad to make your acquaintance. (Pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable....)

Thank-you joanclr, you're very kind; we are going to sell the bears online eventually. The problem is, Carol can't make enough and we have retail outlets to supply. The main aim at the moment is to develop the characters of our fictional romp at, 'Comfortable Place'.  :bear

Also many thanks Jenny, it is so nice to be here.
#1620 - December 15, 2007, 10:17 AM

Members: