SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Hello, I'm Kelly...
I'm a student at the Institute of Children's Literature, and I've written a YA novel that is currently entered in the Delacorte YA Contest. I found this site while seeking info about the contest. It's now my primary source for procrastination.
 :bubblebath:
I have four kids, ages 9-15 (2 boys and 2 girls). I homeschool them and tutor 50 other homeschoolers. My family also collects antique steam tractors.
That's me in a nutshell.  :)
#391 - April 12, 2005, 10:23 AM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

kellyr

Welcome, other Kelly.
#392 - April 12, 2005, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome!
Els, if you live anywhere near Michigan, you and your hubby should stop by...
We could talk about books and homeschooling and our husbands could tool around on a steam engine.  :)
#393 - April 12, 2005, 06:39 PM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

laverdiere

Hi Ziacat, my ancestors are from old Napierville and Laprairie Counties of Quebec (near Montreal).
#394 - April 13, 2005, 09:33 AM

Poster Plus
Hello everyone!
I officially signed in as a member today! I have been online, occasionally participating, and often lurking since the year 2000. I disappear for periods of time, but I'm always drawn back into the friendly world of children's writers.

I write YA novels, writing often, but submitting very little. :writing: My goal is to change that!

I'm happy to be here. ^-^

~Elle
#395 - April 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

MystiqueWriter1

Welcome Elle,

You'll enjoy the Message Board. Everyone is great here and you'll have lots of fun and its a great way of learning. So Welcome!!  :laugh:
#396 - April 14, 2005, 08:24 PM

els

Thanks for the welcome!
Els, if you live anywhere near Michigan, you and your hubby should stop by...
We could talk about books and homeschooling and our husbands could tool around on a steam engine.  :)

Aw, that sounds like fun!  Thanks!
Unfortunately, I'm in SC, with no plans to go to Michigan in the future. :(  Although, if I tell Andrew about this invitation... hehe.
#397 - April 14, 2005, 08:24 PM

Well, els, we're not going anywhere. The invitation is open...
#398 - April 14, 2005, 08:28 PM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

Donna

Els - What part of SC? I grew up in Cordova NC (about 20 minutes from Cheraw, SC) and now I live in Concord, NC (about 3 hours or so from the beach)

Grace,
D
#399 - April 15, 2005, 11:35 AM

Hols

Els, I definitely remember you!  How could I forget Amy of Orchard Hill?  ;)  And I did know you were Els now.  I'm glad to see you are still online and submitting your novel!
#400 - April 16, 2005, 10:12 AM

Hols

Els, did you see this response?  Sorry it took me so long.  I missed your post somehow and didn't respond to it until recently.  I actually found it by typing in "Hols" in the search feature to see if I'd missed anything.  Sure enough, I had!   :duh:
#401 - April 18, 2005, 11:56 AM

Donna

Please do!  I have been throwing around the idea of having a Christian Children's Writers conference in NC for the surrounding areas (SC included!) It would be a one day event to begin with. But hopefully we could work it up to a couple of days as time goes on. That is just kind of rolling around in my mind, right now. As the Lord leads!  If it gets going, don't you want to come?  :yup We are just a couple of hours away.

There is a writer's conference in the Mountains of NC every year. http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/article_main_page/0%2C1703%2CA%3D152237&M%3D200150%2C00.html It is a beautiful place called Ridgecrest. HOWEVER...it is a week long even and I can't go right now. I don't think my three youngin's could handle it...neither could I!!! Oh yeah, there is a SCBWI event in September (in Charlotte). 

You probably knew all that good stuff. Sorry if it was a repeat! :)

Grace,
Donna
#402 - April 18, 2005, 12:53 PM

Donna

Not sure yet, but probably. My email is poets722@aol.com  I don't want to hijack this thread (I am prone to do that!)...but I would love to talk more about it with you! The writer friend I mentioned homeschools her 4 children and is doing some freelance work for the B.Graham association right now.  She is such a sweetie! I think it would help to have more than two people thinking, praying and working on this thing. :) 

Shoot me an email!

Grace,
Donna

#403 - April 18, 2005, 01:42 PM

Els & Donna,
I'm not from your neck of the woods, but I looked at that URL of the Blue Ridge Conference, and it looks awesome! I can't ever get away for that long either. (It's tough sometimes for a long weekend.) However, I do know how to get on a plane... And, I pray too.  :D
Kelly
#404 - April 18, 2005, 01:51 PM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

Donna

You know what, Kelly? I appreciate your prayers,too! :)  You can certainly hop on a plane and come here anytime you want. We're really friendly down here! heehee!

Seriously, would you be interested in chatting about the conference idea, too? Els has already emailed me. THanks Els! :) I am going to email her back tonight after the kiddies are in bed with some ideas that I had. I could do the same with you if you'd like! Just send me an email and I'll send an email to you, too!

Grace,
D

p.s. If anyone else is in this neck of the woods (or NOT) you are certainly welcome to join in on the conversation/planning AND prayer for this endeavor! It won't happen overnight, but it would be nice to go ahead and see what the Lord is doing with all the folks who feel led to be part of it! COOL! I am excited! :yup

p.s.s. (is there such a thing?) Verla, I hope this alright with you that I posted this idea here!
#405 - April 18, 2005, 02:59 PM

Donna,
I don't know how much help I could be at planning from Michigan, but it sure sounds interesting. I would definately support you in prayer--and more if I can!
Kelly
#406 - April 18, 2005, 04:45 PM
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 05:43 AM by kabarson »
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

cinstress

Hello

I am Cindy from New Hampshire. I really am enjoying this website and message board.  I tend to read more than post, but I am learning a lot.
#407 - April 29, 2005, 05:27 PM

Poster Plus
Hello everyone.  I have posted a few times without first introducing myself (sorry about that...I'm finding my way around the site).  I'm Terry from NY (lower Hudson Valley region).  I'm thrilled to be here and grateful to all of you who share your expertise and knowledge.  I started writing for children about seven years ago (when my kids were in 3rd and 4th grade)....I've spent the last few years (I'm a slow learner) trying to figure out how to go about the 'business' of children's writing....I've gotten quite a stockpile together!  This site and the yellow board offer a wealth of information.  I just subbed my first MS, poem and story...and am really hoping to attend SCBWI in Poughkeepsie in June.  Hopefully I'll have something to contribute in the future!

Terry
#408 - May 04, 2005, 12:53 PM

Markita Meeks

Hi Donna!  I am here in Michigan doing pretty much as you are.  I have been writing Children's stories for some time.  I would simply write them in a journal and leave it at that. However, over the last 8 years I  became very interested in trying to get my work published.  I have had some success and some failures. 

I too would appreciate any advise.  You see I have stories that I want to publish as picture books but I am no illustrator.  I don't really know who to approach or who to ask for help.  Just sending my text in for picutre book makes me feel like there is definitely something missing. 

Hello to and great introduction. The message board looks like it is going to be very helpful. 

Markita in Michigan
#409 - May 07, 2005, 05:53 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi and welcome to Cindy, Terry, and Markita.   :moose

Markita, a writer doesn't submit illustrations for a picture book. The publisher will find the perfect illustrator for your words. There's lots of useful information about this on Verla's home page:

http://www.verlakay.com
#410 - May 07, 2005, 06:38 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Hi Everyone,

I'm Bette Anne from Connecticut. I've posted a few times and read and learned a lot on this message board, but never stopped in here to introduce myself. I've published short stories for adults and kids, but am now concentrating on writing just for kids. I have a MG historical novel that's been requested, requested, requested and I'm waiting, waiting, waiting to hear,  a PB I'm getting ready to send, as soon as I finish researching where to send it and numerous WIP's.

Thanks to Verla for setting up this awesome resource, and thanks to everyone here for your information, inspiration, and determination. I feel lucky to be part of such wonderful and talented group

BAR
#411 - May 08, 2005, 06:53 AM

Poster Plus
Thanks, Dinoknees, for the welcome.  I've been editing all day and suffered over the commas in this sentence long enough to know....it's time for bed.
#412 - May 09, 2005, 08:26 PM

Laurie

I think I'm up to 20 posts now and I feel weird chatting without formally saying hello.  (Waving *and* drowning!)  I've been living in Moscow, Idaho and environs for 10 years now.  Moved here from the Bay Area to work on a degree in American Studies.  Before that I spent 8 years as a newsletter editor in Berkeley.  Lifelong scribbler, but never took publishing very seriously.  Did some freelance articles in Calif. and published poems here and there over the years.  Still have some unfinished short stories stuck in a file cabinet.  Children's literature has always been my main love, though.  Even when I was an undergrad. (before kids) I used to read stacks of kids' books to escape academia.  My husband, a high school teacher, used to tease me about all the YA books I read.  Now he teaches juvenile literature at Washington State University and teaches many of the books I recommend.  I love having the last laugh. 

I've been at-home mom for two orangutans (both redheads) -- 9 and 6-- since my first was born.  I also take care of my 83 year old mom.

My first finished mss is a midgrade historical.  Now I'm working on a contemporary midgrade.  I am a great procrastinator;  I'm ashamed to admit it has taken me decades to take my writing seriously.  But I'm happy to be here . . . in such good company.

Laurie
#413 - May 13, 2005, 08:32 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
BAR and Laurie,

What a wonderful introductions you've written. Thank you and welcome!

-Cassandra
#414 - May 13, 2005, 08:36 PM

AimeeJane

Hello!

I'm Aimee, from Metro Atlanta, GA.  I'm a stay-at-home mom to two rambunctious, loving boys, ages 5 and almost 2.  In my younger years, I was a Navy brat...which is a roundabout way of saying I don't have a hometown.   ;D  I spent my childhood reading (Mom had to tear me away and force me out to play with other kids...no fair!), and I spend much of my adulthood reading to my boys.

I am brand new to writing for others' consumption, but I'm holding my breath and jumping in feet first.  My focus right now is on PBs, but I can see trying my hand at MGs and NF in the future.  I have a growing list of ideas, and a couple serious WIPs; the first is a holiday book, and the second is one of those inspirations that comes in the middle of the night and won't let you sleep until you've practically written the whole thing.

I've spent this week burying myslef in research about all aspects of children's books and publishing, and this site has been OH so helpful!  Many thanks to all the contributors, and to Verla for letting us come in to play & work!   :typing:
#415 - May 15, 2005, 06:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome to the board, Aimee. I used to be a Georgia girl myself for a few years but am now a little (lot) further South. Good for you for jumpingin with both feet. And use the board for all it's worth. There's a treasure trove of info here. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions. :)

Kristy
#416 - May 16, 2005, 04:03 AM
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
ME WITH YOU -- (Philomel)
MINI-RACER -- (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK -- (Abrams)
http://kristydempsey.livejournal.com

debi

Hello all! It was nice to read through these posts and see names from Michigan! I'm from Detroit, though I haven't been there for almost 4 years now (first we moved to the Netherlands and now we're in Ireland). I miss the US, though I have to admit, Ireland  :clover is pretty darn cool, too. Heck, I can stand in my front yard and see the top of a castle!

Anyway, on to the introductions: My name is Debi, and I've had a bit of poetry (the adult variety) published here and there, but I've been doing quite a bit of children's writing for the past several months. A bit of a newbie to the genre, but it's so much fun, I'm completely hooked! For inspiration, I have a 9-year-old son, a 5-year-old daughter and another daughter who just turned 7 months. I also mind a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old during the week. (It's pretty funny being "corrected" by a 4-year-old: "That's not a garbage can; it's the bin" or "These are my runners, not gym shoes." It's amazing he puts up with me at all.)

On the writing end, I've sent out my first PB ms to a couple of agents (already saved the rejections) and an Irish publisher (still waiting to hear). Trying to research where to send another PB ms and trying to revise at least 2 more (when you reach the 20's and 30's, do the draft #'s count anymore? You know, there is the first draft, second draft, 35th draft . . .  :confused2: ).

Well, that's my life in a nutshell. Looking forward to getting to know more of you!

Debi
#417 - May 30, 2005, 07:44 AM

Hi, everyone! I'm new here. I've been reading posts for the last two days and finally decided to register and introduce myself.

I've been at Critique Circle and the Yellowboard. I recognize some names from there. You might know me from CC as Medea and Yellowboard as Jengt54.

I've been writing for about 5 years and have lots of rejections on YA stuff (mostly due I think from inexperience and probably some bad ideas :)) I've just started writing for a younger age group in the last year. And I just got my first scale card from Highlights! HooHoo!

I'm currently working on more short stories for the magazine market. I've got a few PB I think I might start sending out. And I'm working on a few MGs. First time with those so we'll see. I've been reading a lot from that age group and I love the books.

I look forward to getting to know the board better and the people here. I can't believe the wealth of information! And the Good News thread is gigantic! Maybe I'll get to post there someday.

And I'm from Michigan, too! I live in Ludington, on the shoreline of Lake Michigan.

Jen
#418 - May 30, 2005, 10:33 AM
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:40 AM by jengt »
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

Welcome, Debi and Jen! Looks like you've already made yourself at home. Good!

#419 - May 30, 2005, 12:40 PM

luckydog

Hi guys,
I've posted a few times and am only now realizing this thread exists. I tend to skip all directions.  Anyway, I'm from Baton Rouge, LA. I am a school librarian who started writing about 2 years ago b/c, although there's alot of great literature out there, there also lots of trash. Suffering from high self esteem, I feel I can do better.

I've had a few magazine successes and am still trying to break into the big time with a book manuscript. I've got several PB's circulating and one novel out there right now. This board is a wonderful resource (and alot cheaper than my ICL course).

Greetings from down the bayou.

Donna
#420 - May 30, 2005, 02:37 PM

Members: