SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

daisyjune

Donna,
Welcome! I'm glad you've found us! Make yourself at home.
And congratulations on your magazine acceptances and here is a  :clover for your submissions still out there!

JennN
#421 - May 30, 2005, 04:37 PM

DMarie

Wow, I didn't know this thread was here, either.  :) I'm a stay at home mom of three kiddos, by Sept. they will be 6,4, and 2. I homeschool, and currently live in Ontario, Canada.... but am a native Oregonian (I lived in Oregon my entire life...until this past October!). My husband is doing a job here for 3 years...then on to somewhere else. It's been an adventure.

I have not been published (yet!) I love writing pb stories and poetry. :writing3:  Glad to have found this site, it's awesome. Thanks to everyone~

DMarie
#422 - May 30, 2005, 06:04 PM

Jaws

Hi! 

I'm from Northern NY.  I've been writing for children for about 3 years now.  Somehow I managed to get published in other areas first, though.  (I had 2 pieces in Children's Book Insider.)  I do have two brain teasers accepted for publication in 2007, though, so I guess I'm back on track now.  I write PBs mainly and have begun to get to personalized rejections, but haven't hit the jackpot yet.  I've found this board to be a great help and enjoy stopping in to see what everybody has to say.

Jaws

#423 - May 30, 2005, 06:27 PM

tom

Hello everyone.  I have posted a few times without first introducing myself (sorry about that...I'm finding my way around the site).  I'm Terry from NY (lower Hudson Valley region).  I'm thrilled to be here and grateful to all of you who share your expertise and knowledge.  I started writing for children about seven years ago (when my kids were in 3rd and 4th grade)....I've spent the last few years (I'm a slow learner) trying to figure out how to go about the 'business' of children's writing....I've gotten quite a stockpile together!  This site and the yellow board offer a wealth of information.  I just subbed my first MS, poem and story...and am really hoping to attend SCBWI in Poughkeepsie in June.  Hopefully I'll have something to contribute in the future!

Terry

Just had to welcome another T. Hunt to this forum. I've never been to the Hudson River Valley but I've seen the paintings. Beautiful place.   :artist:
#424 - May 30, 2005, 07:23 PM

Ronni

(I'd posted this in the YA Genre forum, but I'll plop it here too!)

Hi!  My name is Ronni and I'm an aspiring YA author.  I am SO THRILLED to find a discussion board that covers this genre!   :yup

I've finished a novel that I'd love to submit for publication (if I'd stop being so scared!) and I'm working on a sequel right now.  I also write poetry (only if I'm in a dramatic mood, though!)

Nice to meet you all.  :werd
#425 - June 02, 2005, 04:37 AM

MamaG

Hello Ronni and all the other new members.  Welcome to the club 
#426 - June 02, 2005, 06:12 AM

Hi, Ronni! I'm new here, too. What's your YA book about? Is it like fantasy, horror, etc.? I've written a few YAs, too, but I probably won't be sending them out.  :)

It's nice to meet you!

Jen
#427 - June 02, 2005, 06:15 AM
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

Ronni

Hi Jen!

My novel is coming of age.  See, this is where I need to rewrite that pesky pitch sentence.  I'd done it a while ago but lost it. 

But the general overview:

Teen romance, faith issues, drama, rivalry, lessons learned maybe?  The usual teen drama stuff, but very dialogue and character centered rather than plot centered. 

I'll have to get to work on my pitch so I can give you a better idea!  :)
#428 - June 02, 2005, 11:49 AM

Bonnie Shimko

I write YA novels and picture books.  It's nice to be here!

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/bonnieshimko/   
#429 - June 10, 2005, 10:47 AM

Skye

Hello, everyone! My name is Skye, and I'm a stay at home mom of two great kids, ages 10 and 4. I recently moved to Charlotte, North Carolina, but I'm originally from NY.

I just finished my first manuscript. It is a fairy tale for middle readers. I have always loved to read, and I've  been told that I'm a pretty good writer. So, I  decided to take the leap of writing a book, and sending it out into the world. Hopefully, it will be favorably received! I'm very happy to have discovered a forum with others who enjoy reading, and writing childrens books. Most people that I know think writing for children is so "sweet', and "cute" and "fluffy". I'm glad that there is a community who appreciates, and respects the effort it takes to write for children! I'm glad to be here.
#430 - June 10, 2005, 12:37 PM

els

Heya Bonnie and Skye, welcome to the board.

There are quite a few of us in the Carolinas, Skye. :)  Welcome to the area, too.
#431 - June 10, 2005, 12:42 PM

Mervi

Hello,

I'm Mervi (23yrs) and from Finland. I'm a fantasy writer. I'm graduated student. I like to write alot of stories since school times. I use to write long stories and I'm writing a fantasy book now (119 pages at the moment).  :writing3: stories are my specialty beside drawing. ^_^ On my webpage more information about the book.

nice to meet you all.  :)
#432 - June 17, 2005, 03:43 AM

Hi, Mervi! I'm pretty new here, too. Welcome to the board! There are a lot of great people here. And you'll find a wealth of information.

Where's the link to your site? I didn't see it on your post.

Jen
#433 - June 17, 2005, 06:30 AM

Mervi

Hi, Mervi! I'm pretty new here, too. Welcome to the board! There are a lot of great people here. And you'll find a wealth of information.

Where's the link to your site? I didn't see it on your post.

Jen

Thanks. I'm sure I will find some information. About my site, it's here http://wnet.suomi.net/kotisivu/mervi/index.htm But you can always hit the icon under my avatar, that "WWW". =)
#434 - June 17, 2005, 11:01 AM

Oh, yes, I see it now. I haven't paid much attention to those icons.  :) Thanks!

Jen
#435 - June 17, 2005, 11:20 AM

Mervi

It is alright. I do stuff like that sometimes, especially when I'm tired.  :yup
#436 - June 17, 2005, 01:10 PM

src

Hi everyone,
What a lively bunch you all are! I've been reading your posts for a while now
but just decided to join. I'm in the middle of writing an MG/YA novel.
Some days I think I'll never reach the end!

So, hi again everyone. Glad to be here.  :)

#437 - June 17, 2005, 04:59 PM

thx1978

Hello! Nice to have you here. There's another thread on here somewhere with introductions, if you're interested.  :)
#438 - June 17, 2005, 07:28 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hi! I'm new here.

I'm really delighted to have discovered this wonderful forum!  Such a wealth of information and great camaraderie.

I an oldie (with the gray hairs fighting to outnumber the dark and probably winning at this point!).  I write mostly puzzle books and educational activity books, but would love to branch out into pbs and magazine articles.  I've written a couple of pbs, but have had no success in getting them published. ( :spaz  <-- rejections)

I'm really looking forward to exchanging ideas with you folks and getting to know you better.   :)

Ev
#439 - June 18, 2005, 10:35 AM
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 12:19 PM by Ev »

Hello,

I'm Laura and I've browsed this site before, including the amazing message boards loaded with so much information and generous support. (Thanks to Verla for setting this up in the first place.)

I have been publishing nonfiction for kids for several years, mostly biographies and some animal books in the K-5 range. I am looking to publishing a MG novel. So far I've received some nice rejections and a few form letters. I'm trying to figure out my next step. (Maybe I'll post this question separately.) Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of this group of dedicated kidl-lit folks.

Laura
#440 - June 18, 2005, 01:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Wow! I'm impressed, Laura!  Congratulations on all your books.  I'm not teaching currently (taking time off to write), but have taught primary age for many years and am such a sucker for K-5 nonfiction books.  I've got boxes and boxes of them out in my garage waiting for when I go back to teaching.  Maybe some of them are even yours!  :)

Best wishes to you on your novel.
Ev
#441 - June 18, 2005, 05:11 PM

Thanks, Ev. I think it's great that you're taking time off to focus on your writing. I hope it's going well!

Laura
#442 - June 18, 2005, 05:18 PM

Mervi

Hello Laura and Ev,

welcome to the board! I'm new myself too. Good luck with all things. I'm about to finish my fantasy book.
And I wish to write for children too. I have been writing my book for 2 years by now, I think.
#443 - June 19, 2005, 12:46 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hi Mervi,
Glad to meet you! Enjoyed visiting your website. It's 'neat' that you both write and draw.  Did you draw the opening illustration at your website?
Best wishes to you on your fantasy book.
#444 - June 19, 2005, 10:35 AM

Mervi

Hi Mervi,
Glad to meet you! Enjoyed visiting your website. It's 'neat' that you both write and draw.  Did you draw the opening illustration at your website?
Best wishes to you on your fantasy book.

Hi Ev,
No i didn't make it. Ayami Kojima did it. Should I do it myself.
Thank you for wishes. ^_^ It's been hard work.
#445 - June 19, 2005, 11:25 PM

Mervi

I have removed the opening illustration from my site and added my own illustration "elven magic forge"..
#446 - June 19, 2005, 11:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Mervi,
I wasn't implying that the illustration on your website needed to be done by you.  I was just curious, that's all.
#447 - June 20, 2005, 12:16 PM

Mervi

Mervi,
I wasn't implying that the illustration on your website needed to be done by you.  I was just curious, that's all.

Ev,
It's okey.  :)
#448 - June 20, 2005, 10:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome, SRC!   :)
I just joined a few days ago myself.  The thread that thx1978 mentioned is the first one under the topic "Writing" ---in case you haven't found it yet.
Good luck on your novel.  :typing:

See ya around!
#449 - June 21, 2005, 05:33 PM

thx1978

Hello to all the new people here. Sorry it took me so long. I'm fairly new here myself. :)
#450 - June 21, 2005, 06:04 PM

Members: