SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yes, welcome to you, Gina, Coreen, and Thomas.  It's so interesting to read about your different backgrounds.  Best wishes to you in all your writing endeavors!
#481 - August 02, 2005, 11:29 AM

Mervi

Hello all new ones!  :jump
#482 - August 05, 2005, 02:27 AM

Sthrnwriter

Welcome Gina, Thomas, and Coreen!  I'm still kind of new myself but I'm sure y'all will like it here.
#483 - August 05, 2005, 06:00 PM

Adi_Sangra_Lujuria

Hey all!

My name is Melanie, but I go by Adrine. I write a lot of things. Poems, fantasy, sci-fi, ect. I've been told my writing is quite good, and can be quite shocking due to my age (17 going on 18 in september). I'm always looking for people to talk to about writing and reading and what not. Also people to review my work and give me some advice on how to get moving on in this brutal world of publishers, agents and all that fun stuff. Contact me if you wish to be my friend ;) or to read a bit of my writing (I'm working on a series of Vampire novels currently, just so ya'll know.)

Alright I best be going. I need to work on my writing. Talk to ya'll later. BYE!

~Adrine~
#484 - August 05, 2005, 06:34 PM

JodiG

Okay, I guess it wouldn't be proper to lurk for too much longer.

Greetings.  My name is Jodi.  I'm in the midst of reinventing my identity.  As of last school year, I was a teacher (I've taught 5th, 3rd, and 2nd grades), mommy, and wife.  This year I am trying to reinvent myself as mommy, wife, former teacher, and aspiring writer.  I find that much of my worldview is still solidly through the eyes of a teacher... how would I use that in my classroom?  When I read children's literature, it has always been through that lens... we'll see if that's a benefit or a detriment as I attempt to write. 

I have two wonderful and goofy little boys, ages 5 and 2, and one goofy and wonderful big boy, also known as my husband.  I'm preparing to be "the other woman" this year as my oldest son starts kindergarten.  I hope to not drive his teacher completely insane.  I will try not to use the phrase, "I was a teacher AND..." during the first month of school.

I've wanted to be a writer as long as I can remember being able to write.  I am NOT a very good artist (though I love art and aspired to be), so I think I took some comfort in the fact that I could use the beauty and power of language to make pictures and to make people feel an emotion. 

My writing "accomplishments" are from my childhood... a citywide Arbor Day essay contest winner entitled "Our Friends the Trees"... very original title, eh?  And a poem published in some anthology when I was about 9 years old.

Hmm... I think that's me.
#485 - August 10, 2005, 11:44 PM

Welcome, from another teacher.

I actually went back to teaching this last year.  Unfortunately, that leaves little time for writing.  My goal is to do both.  Teach part time and write part time (or full-time.)  I love using my teacher talents.  And, it's great to have contact with potential readers every day.  Think about writing teacher resource books.   It would be a great transition for you.

Stephenie
#486 - August 11, 2005, 04:51 AM

elizabethscott

Hey everyone!

I'm Elizabeth, and I write YA novels and the occasional short story. I've just gotten a book deal with HarperCollins (this week, actually!), and I'm still in shock over it!

I'm really enjoying checking out the board and reading all of your great posts!
#487 - August 12, 2005, 12:54 PM

Chronic
Poster Plus
Congrats, Elizabeth! I'm surprised you can get it together enough to sit down and type. What a rush you must be feeling!
#488 - August 12, 2005, 01:56 PM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Lorraine

Wow!  Congratulations on your success, Elizabeth! 
And welcome.  :)
#489 - August 12, 2005, 02:16 PM

Laurie

Welcome, Elizabeth, and congratulations!  Can you tell us more? 

Laurie (living vicariously)
#490 - August 12, 2005, 07:39 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Hey everyone!

I'm Elizabeth, and I write YA novels and the occasional short story. I've just gotten a book deal with HarperCollins (this week, actually!), and I'm still in shock over it!

I'm really enjoying checking out the board and reading all of your great posts!

That is awesome, big congratulations! Please do tell more juicy details!  ;D
#491 - August 13, 2005, 02:42 AM

LadyBard

:clover Hey there everyone,

I'm really happy to be part of this forum.  I've  been writing children's stories for years , but couldn't get
any real answers as to what to do to try to get them published.   I'm really excited to post them here
and get everyone's feedback!!!
#492 - August 22, 2005, 04:48 PM

Hi, LadyBard! Welcome!

This is the perfect spot to ask your questions. Everyone is helpful, kind and encouraging. I love this place!

Congrats to Elizabeth Scott!! What wonderful news!  :yup Do you have a release date?

Jen
#493 - August 22, 2005, 08:18 PM
ALTERED (YA) Little, Brown Fall 2012
BOT WARS (MG) Dial Summer 2013
http://jennrush.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/jenn_rush

Whiskers Ink

Hello Everyone,

My name is Sharon and I currently live in a small southern Vermont town near the Connecticut River, however I was born and raised in Windsor,Vermont (a 5th generation native Vermonter). 

As far as my writing goes I would classify myself as an intermediate beginner, if there is such an animal. ;D  Even though I have been writing since I was 11, I never seriously thought about putting my writing out there in the public eye until I went back to college at 44, graduating from Norwich University :horse with a BA (double major) in Social Studies (concentrations in Native American Studies & Environmental Psychology and Elementary Education) and Literature (concentrations in Native American Literature, Children's Literature and Contemporary Poetry)

My writing is diversified in that I write a little bit of everything. I am currently working on 2 craft articles, 5 stories and 3 poems geared toward children with more simmering on the back burner. I am also refining 7 other poems and am in the process of researching and writing two nonfiction books

I find that when I let a story or poem sit for a while and then reread it I can easily pick up mistakes and/or see where it needs to be reworked. However, my main problem is knowing when "enough is enough" as I could easily edit a story or poem to death. I guess that is just one of the "newbie" mistakes that we all make. Any advice on this aspect of writing would be greatly appreciated. :EmoticonHelp2:

I am an active member of: SCBWI/ NESCBWI,The League of Vermont Writers, New England Writers, Vermont Poets Association and I am the moderator of 3 on-line critique groups :smash:

Now to the nitty-gritty personal stuff!  I am the mother of two, grandmother of one and decided to dig out my boxes of stories and poems and pursue writing on a full time basis as a deterrent to the "empty nest / house syndrome" as I am a recent widow and both of my children no longer live in the area.

What else can I tell you? -- I have been an organic gardener since 1969 and last fall I decided to take my love for gardening and turn it into a home based business. So far I have an agreement with our local food coop to buy my produce and at the moment I am trying to decide what to concentrate on for this coming year – potatoes, winter squash, and tomatoes seem to be heading the list as it needs to be something that “me myself and I ” can handle without  hiring help. I am a member of NOFA-VT (Northeast Organic Farmer's Association - Vermont Chapter)

As you can see from my avatar (his name is Canoe and he is a stray that I took in three years ago) I am a cat lover. I have had cats all my life. To date I have had 97 cats. The most at ONE time 26!  The oldest was Snaps who lived to be 24. Currently I have 5 elderly felines, ages 13-15 (Trisket, Yoshi, Canoe, Zeek, and Little Shitz)

I am also a member of the Second Chance League based in Fairbanks, Alaska which is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit corporation that was co-founded by a college classmate of mine. SCL works with sled dogs exclusively from the municipal animal shelter in Fairbanks, evaluates them, fosters them, and trains them with their own dog teams. SCL's goal is for the dogs to become successful and they strive to match the right dog to the right owner, whether it is for sprint, mid to long distance racing, skijoring, recreational touring or as a family pet.  Since it's beginning, 11 months ago, SCL has approved 76 foster homes and has adopted out 103 dogs, of the 114 dogs pulled from the FNSB Animal Shelter  In fact, John Schandelmeier of Paxson Alaska raced  a team of SCL and shelter dogs in this years Yukon Quest in order to show that "throw away" dogs are just as good as any other dog out there.

Well, I guess that about covers it -- I am very glad to on board.

Sharon

#494 - August 23, 2005, 01:50 PM
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:05 PM by Whiskers Ink »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
What a delightful introduction! Welcome, Sharon!
#495 - August 23, 2005, 01:55 PM

Whiskers Ink

Cassandra,

Thank you for your welcome. It's nice to be here. I have been lurking for a while and thought that I would introduce myself as I am just about ready to begin submitting my work and have a zillion and one questions. My three critique groups are terrific but to my way of thinking one can never have too much feedback and by learning as much as I can about the "ins and outs" of publishing, maybe I'll be more confident in calling myself a writer!

Sharon

#496 - August 23, 2005, 02:45 PM
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:06 PM by Whiskers Ink »

DScott

Hi,

I just graduated (last week) with my Masters in Library Science. I work in a library and do not wear a bun and am very loud.  :moose

I am glad to be part of this chat board.

SickChick  :bat:
#497 - August 25, 2005, 03:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome Sharon, SickChick (what a sad name), and LadyBard!  You sound like great additions to the Blue Board.  We'll look forward to your contributions to the collective wisdom and fun here.
#498 - August 26, 2005, 11:34 AM

DScott

Thank you. SickChick comes from a great band Social Distortion. They wrote a song titled SickBoy...well I am not a boy, so  ;D I don't think it is a sad name...I think it describes me quite well. 

#499 - August 29, 2005, 11:57 AM
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 03:55 PM by SickChick »

smichel

Hey, I work as a librarian too.  No bun, no shushing.  Never took those classes.  Just a love for books, for language, for children.

Stella
#500 - August 29, 2005, 06:44 PM

DScott

What do you do? I have done Reference and now I am on the Bookmobile. I get to be even louder on the road  :moose

#501 - August 30, 2005, 12:27 PM

Chris

I didn't see a Newbie thread (which may very well be because I'm less observant than think I am), so I'm coming here to introduce myself. My first novel came out a few years ago with an epublisher and is now available at Writer Online. Last year for NaNoWriMo, I opted to write a YA murder mystery/ghost story for my daughter and I am currently shopping it around to agents. So far, I had two requests for fulls, one of which led to some VERY helpful critiquing for revisions. Mostly I've had rejections, although some of those have been of the encouraging variety. Right now, it's available at Lulu.com because they offered a free copy of one's NaNo book to anyone who completed the challenge. I got a copy for my daughter and a few friends bought copies. I figure it can't hurt to try to sell a few more while I shop it around to a real publisher (or agent, as the case may be). I've also signed a contract for an erotic novel which I will choose a pseudonym for, for fairly obvious reasons. LOL.

Nice to be here,

Chris :writing3:
#502 - August 30, 2005, 12:49 PM

els

Welcome Chris!

I've heard good things about Lulu- I know a couple of folks who have published through them and are very satisfied.  I hope it works out as well for you!

els
#503 - August 30, 2005, 12:59 PM

daisyjune

Welcome, Chris! I'm glad that you have joined us!
#504 - August 30, 2005, 01:10 PM

Amy Thomas

Welcome! Are you going to give NaNoWriMo another try this year?  I'm feeling a little more confident about it after reading your experience!
#505 - August 30, 2005, 01:34 PM

Chris

Welcome! Are you going to give NaNoWriMo another try this year?  I'm feeling a little more confident about it after reading your experience!

Yes, I think I will. I've got something I've been mulling over, although I've technically already started. I may opt to do the third in the Bailey Sullivan series. I did the rough draft of book #2 in February just to see if I could put out another 50K words in a single month. Did I mention I'm more than slightly mad?  :duh:
#506 - August 30, 2005, 04:49 PM

Mary K.

I do not work as a librarian. Yet. I'm starting my second year of library school next week.

I have been writing for as long as I can remember (which isn't terribly long, as I'm 25), and have recently decided that I should get serious about submitting stuff. I decide this every now and then, and historically have done nothing about these decisions.

Oh, and I only wear a bun for ballet class.
#507 - August 30, 2005, 06:38 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome, Chris!  We're glad to have you and look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes on all your writing,
Ev
#508 - August 30, 2005, 09:14 PM

els

Hey, I work as a librarian too.  No bun, no shushing.  Never took those classes.  Just a love for books, for language, for children.

Stella

awww.  The bun and the shushing are half the fun of being a librarian.  That and buying severe, narrow glasses that you can perch on the end of your nose and look gimlet eyed over.
Sigh, I miss being the night librarian in a small town.
#509 - August 31, 2005, 01:11 AM

DScott

Ok, maybe I shush once in awhile...but buns? No Way!   :) I love being a librarian, I just wish it didn't take me so long to get into it as a career. 

#510 - September 01, 2005, 04:59 PM

Members: