SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Introduce yourself!

Discussion started on

psharmon

Welcome from another newbie!  I haven't really introduced myself to anyone before, so here I go.

I have always dreamed of being published and only recently became serious.  I have a stack of rejection letters, but I'm not letting it stop me.  I did recently sell a story to Chicken Soup for the Girls Soul, to be released sometime this month.  I'm just waiting to get my copy in the mail.  I am very excited to see my name in print.

I currently work as a real estate agent on the coast of Maine.  I love to help people find a home, but my real goal in life is to stay at home and write.  I have two children, my son is almost 19 and a member of the Army National Guard.  My daughter is 16.  I used to write stories for them when they were little and over time, decided to do more with them.  I also have my almost step-son, 18 (a member of the Air Force) and my almost step-daughter, 15.  Add 4 cats, a dog, and a rabbit, and the house is full.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and welcome any advice and helping at whatever I can. 

Penny  ;D
#511 - September 11, 2005, 10:15 AM

Laurie

Welcome, Penny, and congratulations on selling your story.  Now about that dream home on the Maine Coast...

:)

Laurie
#512 - September 11, 2005, 05:04 PM

psharmon

Must sell more houses or sell more writing to get it....I'm holding out for the dream of selling more writing!  :EmoticonDollar:
#513 - September 11, 2005, 07:04 PM

Brookie Wookie

Hello! I've posted a few times already, but I thought I'd introduce myself because I'm bored at work right now and I like to talk about myself!  :zzz

I just graduated with an English Education degree, but have not found a teaching job, yet.

I live in San Antonio, but have lived in Seattle, Wa and all over the fabulous state of Iowa.

I have performed in several improv troupes. My favorite comedien is Dave Chapelle.

I just finished my first story! It's a middle grader and Scott Treimel the literary agent is having a looksie right now! Yay!  :yay

I have a cat and a dog (a blue heeler).

I am currently working as a travel agent, and am engaged to a Biochem major at Texas State.

That's about it! Buh-bye!

#514 - September 12, 2005, 05:23 PM

redbear

hello everyone.

i'm new here so thought i'd just make a point of saying hello before i start picking your brains for advice.

rb
#515 - September 13, 2005, 04:39 AM

tgseale

tg *waves* back.
Welcome redbear.
#516 - September 13, 2005, 08:06 AM

tgseale

Helloooooooooooooo and welcome to you all.  What an interesting bunch you are!  I'm looking forward to getting to know each of you better.
tg
#517 - September 13, 2005, 08:30 AM

redbear

oh err! my post moved!

(i don't know, you create something, care for it, and then it just gets a will of it's own and starts wandering around)

anyhow, nice to be here folks.

rb
#518 - September 13, 2005, 10:15 AM

GreenFrog

Okay, i'll do it. I always have to hold off on these things and see if anyone really wants to know who i am. But you all seem like a nice lot and it's starting to seem rude to keep posting and not say who i am.

My name is Holly, i live in Washington state (not DC), but i grew up in beautiful Northern California and still think of myself as a California girl despite the fact i've lived in the northwest since high school. I am in a perpetual state of being in school or wishing i was in school, so i am starting back this fall for an English degree and secondary teaching certification. I already have one BA and an MSW. After getting a good look at dysfunctional families, i decided that social work was not for me. I loved the kids, but wanted to do very bad things to the parents. So, i am going to be a teacher.

I have written 1 and 1/4 of a fantasy trilogy. Book 1 is currently under consideration with a lovely editor at a good house and i am sitting at home biting my nails waiting for the final word. I will probably also write some historical fiction and general novels later - as soon as the trilogy has burned its way out of my brain. I admire all you PB people, but doubt that i will ever turn my eye that way. Such wonderful precision with words. Don't know if i have the patience. :)

Anyway, that's likely enough about me. Oh, i have a dog, a cat, three fish and lots of former students who i refer to as "my kids". The kids will come when i am done with school.

Holly
#519 - September 15, 2005, 12:43 PM

ErinS

Glad to have you here Holly! 

This is a great place to be!

Erin
#520 - September 15, 2005, 12:56 PM

thx1978

Hello, hello, to the new people! :)
#521 - September 18, 2005, 11:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Welcome Redbear and Holly!
Redbear, did you find your post?  I think it's on the bottom of the previous page.
Holly, I've been enjoying your posts throughout the forum, but it's nice to know a little more about you.  Thanks for sharing.  Best wishes to you as you follow your dreams.  Teaching can be challenging, but it sounds like you have what it takes.
And I'll be pulling for you on Book 1 that that lovely editor will come through with a YES.

Our family enjoyed visiting your state (i.e., WA) in July.  In fact, I have a beautiful photo of Mt. Rainier taken from the plane window as my computer desktop background picture to keep my memories fresh.

Ev
#522 - September 19, 2005, 07:32 PM

GreenFrog

Thanks, Ev. Rainier is gorgeous. Wish i lived closer to it - but i usually only see it when i happen to be flying into Seattle.
#523 - September 19, 2005, 09:10 PM

Official Blueboard Scapegoat
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
This is Greg Fishbone from Massachusetts, reintroducing myself after an extended absense to work on my day jobs in law, real estate, and web design.  I'm also Assistant Regional Advisor and Webmaster for SCBWI New England and a soon-to-be published author/illustrator.

The ink is still wet on my publishing contract, and I'm still in the process of shifting mental gears from creating a book to creating a buzz.  Looking for any advice I can get.

Talk to y'all later.

tem2
#524 - September 26, 2005, 06:39 AM
Greg R. Fishbone: Home | Facebook

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi again, tem2. Good to see you again! A book deal!!!  :yay  Tell us all about it!

Owl
(the writer formerly known as dinoknees, and still known as Barb)
#525 - September 26, 2005, 07:10 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, Owl.

There will be a website coming online soon with all the details.  In the meantime, I've posted some background to my blog here:

http://gfishbone.com/weblog/archives/2005/09/more_septina_de.html

tem2
#526 - September 26, 2005, 01:02 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Welcome back, Greg. I would say "I hope all is well" but I just read about your sale to BTP so I =know= all is well. <g>

Paula IS proud of you. That was a lovely piece in the new CWIM. I miss her too. It is hard to believe we won't ever laugh with her again.

Well, that's not true. Her books will bring smiles and snot-flying laughter until the day books go out of existence.

But oh.. Paula. We wish =you= were here too.

-Pamela
(congrats again, Greg!)
#527 - September 26, 2005, 02:56 PM

dwrites

Congratulations on the sale, Greg. Anyone who was a friend of Paula's is good people in my book. She was the best. How can we help you create that buzz?

Diana
#528 - September 26, 2005, 09:55 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Welcome back, Greg. I loved your article in SCBWI this month. Your last line was perfect.

Congratulations on the sale to BTP!!!

-Cassandra
#529 - September 26, 2005, 10:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Congratulations on the sale, Greg. Anyone who was a friend of Paula's is good people in my book. She was the best. How can we help you create that buzz?

Funny you should ask...   :n

:x  I can't announce anything yet because we're still putting things together behind the scenes but there will be a website that's quite unlike anything I've ever seen done for a book.  It will be highly interactive and very funny.  My editor is working with me on it and I can tell already that we're going to have a whole lot of fun.  I'll post details here as soon as I can.

--tem2
#530 - September 27, 2005, 06:36 AM

Audiate

Erm...
hi there, actually not all THAT new... I've been using this site for about a year but only recently found the time to actually register and start participating in the forums! So, hello again! :)

And WHAT a great resource this is. Thanks to Verla.
#531 - September 27, 2005, 02:26 PM

daisyjune

Welcome new writing/illustrating friends! We're so glad you're here.  :hug1:
#532 - September 27, 2005, 06:43 PM

All right, here I am, I've met some of you, a bit, at workshop chats, and I've decided to take the plunge.  It's not fair for me to lurk forever, right?

I'm a 23 year old girl from Orlando, FL; I write YA that kind of straddles genres between fantasy and modern-day semi-comedic relationship stories.  I have one novel out for submission to agents, which I wrote when I was 18 and then sat on because the submission process intimidated me, now I've finally done it and I've been getting decent response but no bites.  I'm polishing up novel #2 now, and so far I think it's about a hundred times better than the one that seemed so great when I started submitting it.  But I have learned a lot in five years. 

And, a little bit about me, I guess: I was homeschooled most of my life, which allowed me to spend a LOT of time developing my worlds and characters--the character in my avatar has been knocking around my head for ten years.  Obviously, I like to draw, too, but my sister is really the family artist.  I work at a health food store, try to read two books a week, and I live with my boyfriend and a cat named Tacy.  (Named after one of my favorite childhood series, Betsy-Tacy; although there is no Betsy for my Tacy, no wonder she always seems lonely!)  And lifeonmars is after the David Bowie song; it was an alias I thought of very hastily.
#533 - September 27, 2005, 08:28 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

ErinS

Welcome welcome life on mars!! 

I'm so happy you're joining in and coming out of lurkdom! 

It's great to have you!  ;D

Erin
#534 - September 27, 2005, 10:47 PM

wicked

Greetings and salutations...i am the dreaded newbie of the day.
i am very new to writing, and not so new to illustration, i have a bfa in graphic design ... and a very gabby brain.
i am at the urging of many finally putting down some of my ramblings with pretty
 ::) pictures...

how many others here are author/illustrators?

i am older than dirt, i watched them make mud for the first time.
i have two kids, 12 and 8... or at least that's what the birth certificates say...i think the eldest is actually closer to 40

i am sure this lovely message board will give me great gobs of guidance... and for that i thank you.
because i am about confused enough for one life...

hope to have a chance to chat with many of you

wicked
#535 - September 28, 2005, 08:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Welcome to Verla's to LIFE ON MARS and WICKED!
-Pamela
(a boring, regular screen name) ;>
#536 - September 28, 2005, 09:52 PM

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
I guess it's my turn to introduce myself. I have spent a lot of time over at the yellow board and have always heard people referring to Verla Kay but hadn't bothered to check it out. Now I'm glad I did. It's nice to see some familiar "faces" around here as well.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, have 3 kids (4, 9, and 12) and a wonderful DH. Finding time to write is my biggest obstacle right now. I'm looking forward to kindergarten starting for my youngest next year.

I've been writing for a few years now but I still haven't managed to break into the submission mode of writing yet. I have a PB that is almost ready and a MG that is waiting for round 2 of editing. I still have so much to learn - I look forward to all of the great advice out there.

:dancing:
#537 - October 04, 2005, 11:23 AM

JodiG

sbk, Welcome.  This is a great place to be.  Good luck breaking into the submission mode.  It's kinda' intimidating, but this is a great supportive place to delve into it.
#538 - October 09, 2005, 08:53 AM

Mervi

Welcome!  :jump Hoping you have much fun here! ^_^ :typing:
#539 - October 10, 2005, 12:58 AM

dwrites

there will be a website that's quite unlike anything I've ever seen done for a book. 
--tem2

Yes, do tell when it's up and running so we can help with that buzz. I'll link you to my site for starters if you'd like me to do that. Networking is fun, fun, fun...

Diana
#540 - October 10, 2005, 09:31 AM

Members: