SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writer's Block

Discussion started on

MystiqueWriter1

My days are just no good right now as a writer!!  :banghead: I have writer's block and I can't seem to loose it. All I do is stare at my story with so many paragraphs and I see that little blinker at the end of the sentence!! It just blinks and blinks. I feel as if I were losing my interest in writing because of writer's block. I have lost all love for my books! Does anyone elso go through that? And trust me I don't want to forget about my writing it seems I just want to pull away from it! Something I don't want to do!   :cry: Every day that passes I just ignore my books as if they were never created! Please  :EmoticonHelp2: What is the best way of overcoming this?

MystiqueWriter1/Elaina  :mad4:
#1 - September 27, 2003, 08:00 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
When I have trouble thinking of something to write, I write something else.   :typing: I'll write nonsense, a letter to a friend, a grocery list, bills.  (Bills will do it every time for me, I'd rather do ANYTHING than pay the bills or work on taxes!)  Is the reason you can't keep writing it because you don't know where the story is going?  I find I get bogged down big time  :-\ when I don't have a clear ending for my story.  It's taken me as long as a year and a half :snail: to "find" the right ending for some of my stories.  Until then, I could only write "so far" and then I hit that poverbial brick wall :banghead: .

For additional ideas and help, there are a couple of great workshops on breaking writer's block on the Transcripts page on this website.  :paper:

Good luck.  The main thing is to write even when you have nothing to say!  Because usually, something of what you write will be good, and even if it isn't, sometimes you just have to get the "garbage writing" :writing: out of the way to get to the good stuff behind it. :writing3:
#2 - September 27, 2003, 08:14 AM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 09:31 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

ClaraRose

Excellent advice Verla Kay -- Something I needed to hear right now too!   :)
#3 - September 27, 2003, 09:05 AM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
I agree with Verla: write something (anything) else... even if it's complete nonsense, it should help a bit.  I have a specific line of nonsense I write whenever I'm blocked, and it usually frees me right up.
#4 - September 27, 2003, 10:16 AM

MystiqueWriter1

Thanks everyone for the advice. Verla I would of never thought of writing slush to get my mind flowing again. Because what everyone told me earlier my mind is in thinking again and it seems I drew back to my YA Book even though I am writing a new pb right now. There are some many ideas that I'll be            :writing3: tonight. Even though my book is mind confusing. Chapters will be hard to overcome but I am ready for the challenge and when ever I have writer's block again I'll depend on the wonderful advice that was given. Thank you, Verla, Jen, Clara, Lorraine, and all other writers who are going through the same thing as me. Let this advice be taken seriously it helps.   :yay
God Bless those who help others before they help themselves.

MystiqueWriter1/Elaina  :typing:
#5 - September 27, 2003, 02:13 PM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 02:21 PM by MystiqueWriter1 »

Lorraine

Elaina, I know the feeling well....  :smash:

If I'm really stuck I'll go to the library and get out a ton of books and read read read.  And then...I'm almost embarrassed to say this, I often type out passages that are particularly well written.  Somehow that stimulates my own writing, and I'll just free write without worrying a bit about how it comes out.  Sometimes that feels like such a relief as I'm a very slow writer and worry about every word.  :writing:    

One thing I've noticed about being stuck in the middle of a story is that it often comes when I haven't fully fleshed out the main character, and I realize he/she is still one-dimensional.  If that happens, I end up filling a few notebook pages birthing this character into a fully rounded person.  At a conference this summer, someone suggested having the character write some letters to another character just to really get into the heart of the personality.

Good luck--I know how frustrating it can be to be STUCK.   :banghead:
#6 - September 27, 2003, 02:17 PM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 02:19 PM by Lorraine »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I'm still sorting through the 20+ boxes of papers we moved from our old house.  Just ran into something I wrote once that seemed appropriate to post here.

Writer's Block is when your mind is too tired or too busy or too distracted to let you step out of it and create a fantasy world on paper.  <Verla Kay>
#7 - October 01, 2003, 12:36 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

MystiqueWriter1

Good Advice Verla  ;D
#8 - October 01, 2003, 03:28 PM

Members: