SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The search engine is your best friend

Discussion started on

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
We've had a lot of thoughtful discussions over the years.  With over 150,000 posts on the boards, it's highly likely that your question has been asked before.  Before starting a new topic, use the search engine to see if your question has already been addressed.  There's a lot of wisdom in these pages; it's there for the taking if you can find it.

As with any search engine, what comes out is dependent on what goes in.  If you don't get a good results from your first attempt, try varying your keywords.  Make sure your keywords are spelled correctly.  And, most important, make sure you're searching from the main page.

Unique to our search engine is the fact that WHERE YOU ARE when you begin your search will impact your results.  For the broadest response, be sure you're on the main home page when you do your search.  For example, if you search "Courier vs. Times New Roman" from the home page, you'll get over 15 responses.  Search from "Sample Work" and you'll get nothing.  That's because the search engine only searches the area you're in at the time, and there's nothing in the Sample Work area about fonts. (Of course, if you are searching for new comments on a particular thread that you read yesterday in Book Talk, go ahead and search Book Talk.) 

Advanced search is another option.  You reach it by clicking on the words "Advanced search" right next to the regular Search feature.

Finally, I'd like to remind you that there are dozens of good search engines outside of this site:  Google, Yahoo, and Ask Jeeves are just a few of the better-known ones.  Sometimes members will be surprised at how quickly I post a response to a question and joke with me that I know everything, but in fact, I've got them fooled BIG TIME.  What I do know?  How to Google. 

Question:  "What does 'enigma' mean?"  Quick Google:  "enigma definition."
Question:  "Anybody know the address for Writers House?"  Quick Google:  "Writers House submission"
Question:  "What's that saying that has to do with geese and golden eggs?" Quick Google:  "geese golden eggs"
Question:  "I need another word for 'evil'." Quick Google:  "evil synonym"

If Google doesn't work, try one of the others.  Every search engine returns slightly different results, so you may find what you need elsewhere.  And as with our own search engine, try rearranging the order of your keywords or wording your search in a slightly different way.  As fast as search engines are, doing a new search should take only seconds.

I'm not saying you should never ask questions here.  Of course you should.  That's part of the joy of this board--that there are so many people here with knowledge they're willing to share.  But please don't ask your fellow members to answer a question that's been answered before--and sometimes, answered three or four times.

Happy searching!
#1 - January 25, 2007, 06:28 AM
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:09 AM by Anne Marie »
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
When I try to do a search, I get back only a 403 Forbidden message. This is frustrating. I want to be a good citizen and update an existing thread rather than start a new one, but I can't find the existing one.
#2 - March 08, 2011, 07:04 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
The Search function can be picky if you include certain forms of punctuation in your search terms...might that be what you're running into?
#3 - March 08, 2011, 07:47 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
No apostrophes? I was searching for "Who's Moving Where" so I could update the thread. Eventually found it by scrolling through the listing of my posts.

That's a surprising issue. Surely they could fix that.
#4 - March 08, 2011, 07:59 PM
Harold Underdown

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
We just use the software that is provided for our message board, Harold. I'm not a computer guru and can't modify it to suit our own needs. Because of that, we have to work within the limits of the existing program. That mean no punctuation in searches, unfortunately. It's defeated me a number of times, too!
#5 - March 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I know it isn't ideal, Harold, but it does work if you use the accent grave/backward apostrophe (under the tilde, by the '1') or the '?' wildcard.

e.g. Who`s moving where or Who?s moving where

#6 - March 21, 2011, 10:49 AM

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
David, thanks, that's ingenious! I'm not sure I can remember it, though. As Verla said, this is just one of those things...
#7 - March 21, 2011, 07:31 PM
Harold Underdown

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Bumping this up for our new members.

Vijaya
#8 - September 05, 2013, 06:06 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: