SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Witches - Highlights

Discussion started on

Pickles

I did a search on the boards, but nothing came up.

Does anyone know if Highlights has a "thing" against witches? The witch isn't a main character at all. But there is a noise that makes the characters in the story THINK there is a witch.

Thanks.
#1 - February 09, 2007, 02:18 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, Highlights has published stories about naughty witches  ;)  And they've also published stories about strange noises in which the MC thinks there's a monster (usually).  Go for it.
Vijaya
#2 - February 09, 2007, 02:21 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Pickles

Thanks Vijaya!

There isn't a witch in the story, but the word "witch" is mentioned probably a half dozen times. I could be safe and change it to a monster, but Cack! sounds more like a witch than a monster to me.
#3 - February 09, 2007, 02:32 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Witch is probably mentioned tons of times in The Wizard of Oz, and that's one of the most popular stories of our time. You can't have good without bad. Unless she's a good witch...Hmmm, they might not like that. Oh, what do I know!!!! ;D
#4 - February 09, 2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.wendylynndeckerauthor.com
https://twitter.com/WendyDecker19
Sweet Tea (Vox Dei Publishing, October 20, 2015)
The Bedazzling Bowl (2006)

I think it's fine. If they love the story, but want the witch taken out, it'd probably turn up in a revision request. (Even though I doubt it'll be a problem.) It doesn't sound like it's a horror story.
Kelly
#5 - February 09, 2007, 04:27 PM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

Pickles

It's for the contest. I don't want to get eliminated over a witch. A crit bud thought she remembered something about Highlights not liking witches, and she suggested I hunt around here.

I'm guessing the naughty witch story was Vijaya's. : )

#6 - February 09, 2007, 05:29 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm guessing the naughty witch story was Vijaya's. : )

Shoot, I wish I could write a naughty witch story ...
I don't think Highlights has anything against witches though, so if it needs to be a witch, it needs to be a witch.  And even for the contest, I doubt they would discard it because of a witch.
Good luck.
Vijaya
#7 - February 09, 2007, 05:50 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Pickles

Okay, thanks.

Just double checking. I knew a lot of people around here had lots of Highlights experience.
#8 - February 09, 2007, 05:55 PM

I think it depends on the story and what kind of witch. They're not into scary stuff and stuff. But anybody who's read Highlights knows how wholesome they are. I doubt they'd disqualify the story for someone thinking a noise "could" be a witch and then it's not.

I'll ask 'em if ya want...I'm going back there next month. I'm so excited!
Kelly
#9 - February 10, 2007, 06:30 AM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

cdb

Pickles, are you subbing for the mystery contest? I don't know about Highlights feelings on witches. All I know

is I don't want to compete with your story, so don't send, please. "Cack, cack" says, Carole.
#10 - February 10, 2007, 07:42 AM

Pickles

LOL, Carole.
#11 - February 10, 2007, 07:43 AM

Pickles

Thanks, Kelly, but it will be too late. I think I"ll risk it. :)
#12 - February 10, 2007, 07:45 AM

I think it's a safe bet, Pickles. Good luck.  :clover
Kelly
#13 - February 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

Pickles

Thanks, everybody. I'm going with it. Before I sold Yak, I had subbed an early reader version of this story to Blooming Tree, and I took out the ghost.

Okay, all ghoulies intact...it's a go.
#14 - February 10, 2007, 01:35 PM

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
Hi Pickles,

I searched using witch and found lots of entries. I even found the word pirate. Hmm I know they say no pirates. But I guess because it's only a Halloween costume and not a real pirate it's ok.

http://www.highlightskids.com/OLIndex/h8parentsIndex.asp?issueMonth=--Select+a+Month--&issueYear=--Select+a+Year--&category=--Select+a+Category--&searchTerm=witch&searchType=searchByKey&langToggle=

There's the link.

Rainchains  :horse
#15 - February 10, 2007, 06:56 PM

Pickles

Thanks Rainchains.
#16 - February 10, 2007, 07:04 PM

Members: