SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Rebus question?

Discussion started on

tesspup

I'd like to try writing some rebuses....quick question and hopefully not too dumb ;)....but you just write the words, right? The magazine will insert the pics where they see fit. I don't need to send pictures within the sentences do I? How do I format the text? Just regular?

Also, if I am correct, rebuses are simple stories/descriptions right? Not as "plot driven" as a fiction or PB, right? Thanks much!
#1 - February 27, 2007, 10:11 AM

You submit the story, the magazine will provide the pix. When I submit a rebus, I underline the nouns which I think would be illustrated. The stories are usually between 100-150 words, depending on the mag you want to sub to.
#2 - February 27, 2007, 10:31 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes, you just write the story and the art dept. will take care of the pictures.  However, when I submit a rebus, I underline words that should be pictured and when I'm doing a draft, I make sure that the same picture is repeated a couple of times.

They need to be short: 75-150 words, so every word counts.  They should have lots of concrete images and a fun twist at the end.  An element of surprise.  These are really fun.

Get thee to a library and read several of these: Highlights, Ladybug, Clubhouse come to mind immediately.
Check the archives for ICL -- I'm pretty sure they have an article or two about writing a rebus.

Vijaya
#3 - February 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

tesspup

Thanks everyone. We get Highlights and that's who I'd like to submit to ultimately so we've been reading alot of them. I think they would be really fun to write. :)
#4 - February 27, 2007, 10:59 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
This is good information that the others have provided.

Clubhouse Jr. and Ladybug both accept rebus stories which are slightly longer (up to 200 words), so if you can't seem to cut your story to fit Highlights word count, those are possibilities.

Wee Ones and Cecil Child both accept rebuses but the author needs to include the illustrations for those publications.

Best wishes to you,
Ev
#5 - February 27, 2007, 11:26 AM

Members: