SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cookbook questions

Discussion started on

tesspup

Hi there! When writing a cookbook, how do you go about getting the nutrition info? Do you do it, or does the publisher? Thanks!
#1 - April 15, 2007, 09:51 AM

shelly

Tesspup, I don't know for certain, but I do remember noticing that in one of my cookbooks, the author makes mention of which software she used to analyze her recipes for nutrition information. It sounded like you can buy this software, enter the recipe ingredients and amounts, and it gives you the info. I don't know how expensive it is, and I'm not even sure if cookbook publishers require it, but I thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to look into it.
#2 - April 15, 2007, 10:07 AM

MaudeStephany

There is a program called ChefTec that you can purchase - in which you enter your ingredients and quantities and it generates approximate calories/etc that each finished product has.

A sample of the program came with a text that my hubby had for his culinary degree, but I can assure you that this is no inexpensive program. I think, when I went to check it out, that it came to about $600 (here's the link btw)  http://www.culinarysoftware.com/css-home.htm

I don't know if there are less expensive programs available, but my guess is yes.... and when you find it could you let me know? I have a recipe book that I essentially ready to go except for the nutritional information. Once I have that... well... time to bug a publisher.

BTW, PM me and I can share some info on marketing your recipe book with you.

Maude :jump
#3 - April 15, 2007, 10:13 AM

aniprof

I've started working on a cookbook so this thread prompted me to search for SW. Ran across the following. I'm gonna try it out, and would love to hear other feedback.

http://www.livingcookbook.com/index.htm
#4 - April 15, 2007, 04:23 PM

MaudeStephany

Thanks Aniprof for sharing the link to LivingCookbook. That is one heck of a difference in cost from the professional program I had access to.

I'll show it to the chef hubby and see how excited he gets.

Maude :jump
#5 - April 15, 2007, 10:14 PM

Does anyone know where I can find some guidelines for formatting and submitting cookbooks? I have an uncle who is quite a successful caterer and he would like to publish a book of the recipes he has developed over the years. As I am the only person in the family with any ties to the publishing world, he has come to me for advice on how to submit his book. Unfortunately, I write MG fantasy and I know nothing about cookbooks, except how to use them (if the recipes are easy enough :whistle). Can anyone help me?
#6 - July 16, 2009, 05:37 PM

Members: