SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Harry Potter--Deathly Hallows discussion: SPOILERS!

Discussion started on

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Yeah, the one they wanted him to stop using.  Heh heh.
#181 - August 17, 2007, 01:06 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Expelliarmus is THE spell, isn't it?

That is a curse that causes the wand to be expelled from a wizard/witch's hand - it is not one of the Unforgivable Curses - those are

The Cruciatus Curse. This inflicts severe physical pain on whomever it is cast upon. To effectively use the Cruciatus Curse, the witch or wizard casting the spell must have the genuine desire to cause pain. When effectively used, the curse is excruciating and has the ability to drive victims insane. As such, it is one of the three Unforgivable Curses. the Imperius Curse and the Killing Curse. (Neville's parents were driven insane when Bellatrix cursed them with this one.)

The Imperius Curse. "Imperior" (L.) meaning "to give orders, rule, hold sway," or "imperium," meaning "power to command, rule, control." The Imperius Curse. This is used to control the actions of another person, leaving that person at the mercy of the spell caster. The experience of being under the curse is described as a fantastic sense of release, until the victim starts to fight back. The curse can be fought and its hold broken, but many witches and wizards are unable to do so. Because of its very dangerous implications, the Imperius Curse is one of the three Unforgivable Curses.

The Killing Curse (aka Avada Kedavra. ) A corruption of "abracadabra" which was used as a Healing Spell to drive disease from the patient's body in the Middle Ages. Its likely source is either the Arabic "abra kadabra" (may the things be destroyed), or the Aramaic "abhadda kedhabhra" (disappear with these words). It requires a strong bit of magic behind it; the incantation alone is not enough for the spell to work. When cast effectively, Avada Kedavra kills instantaneously, producing a blinding flash of green light but leaving no mark on the victim's body. There is no way to block or counter the Killing Curse, and the only people ever to survive it are Harry Potter and Tom Riddle.

thanks to mugglenet for the above definitions!
#182 - August 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Er...I meant that Expelliarmus was like, "da bomb," or "the most awesome, useful spell evah," or something like that. Those intonation things that never come through no matter how hard I kick my computer, darn it!  ;)
#183 - August 17, 2007, 03:12 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I knew what you meant, Olmue.  I think it came through fine.
#184 - August 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

kellyr

I understood you, Olmue -- it's the one that Harry used to defeat Voldemort (twice, no less), so I got your point.
#185 - August 17, 2007, 03:43 PM

Amy Spitzley

Although Avada Kevadra gets my vote for coolest-sounding curse. (And the  one that made me giggle the most.) I'll never hear "Abracadabra!" the same way again! (grin)
AMY
#186 - August 17, 2007, 04:03 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Er...I meant that Expelliarmus was like, "da bomb," or "the most awesome, useful spell evah," or something like that. Those intonation things that never come through no matter how hard I kick my computer, darn it!  ;)

Oops! My bad... I did not understand you!   :green:  going back to my cave now... 
#187 - August 17, 2007, 07:43 PM

KirstyAnn

Although Avada Kevadra gets my vote for coolest-sounding curse. (And the  one that made me giggle the most.) I'll never hear "Abracadabra!" the same way again! (grin)
AMY

Couldn't agree more!!
#188 - August 17, 2007, 11:18 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Oh, it's okay Julia! (Although if you want to share directions for some of those "householdy" spells so I can spend my time writing instead of cleaning and stuff, that would be fine....  ;))
#189 - August 18, 2007, 12:17 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh, it's okay Julia! (Although if you want to share directions for some of those "householdy" spells so I can spend my time writing instead of cleaning and stuff, that would be fine....  ;))

try a little "scourgify"... should clean things up just fine (unfortunately, I can't get my wand to work, so I'm still scourgify-ing the muggle way   :tired:) 
#190 - August 18, 2007, 07:15 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yeah, "scourgify" works even less for me than for Tonks. My kids have lately gotten into "evanesco," but the kitchen potions experiments don't disappear, either. Must consult Gilderoy Lockhart's books to see what we're doing wrong.
#191 - August 18, 2007, 12:53 PM

HB

AMY

And I can never hear "Abracadabra" without thinking of the Bugs Bunny episode (Abraca-pocus!)
#192 - August 20, 2007, 08:53 PM

The whole thing certainly left me feeling like this was the end of a grand epic on the same scale as LOTR, albeit very different in many ways.  I was glad that it ended at Hogwarts where so much of the action took place.  I found the support Harry found there when he returned quite beautiful and was cheering for him along with his friends.

Hats off to JKR for her achievement!

I liked that his quidditch team returned to fight with him. I loved when they all trouped out--the Order of the Pheonix, the D.A., and Harry's old quidditch team. It added such a quirky touch.
#193 - August 22, 2007, 07:36 PM

sdp

I read this because I was bought two copies of it. JKR is a proper hero, I don't think anyone will be anywhere near as successful as her for a long long time, but I’ve never been a huge fan so I think my reaction is perhaps overly negative.

- I don’t get Harry Potter’s character. I’m not sure if the sense of aversion I have towards him is something that I’m supposed to have or not. I can’t put my finger on it …it’s partly the way other characters hero-worship him and his reaction to that, and partly something else. I don’t know… is it deliberate?
-  I didn’t like that there wasn’t a “previously…” type recap thing at the beginning. I also didn’t like the assumption that I’d read the prior books and so would know what horcruxes, death eaters, etc. are.
- I didn’t like Hedwig dying; that scene jarred in my head and I read over it three times. I know it was necessary for the plot but it seemed so vague. The whole chapter seemed manufactured too.
- I think she left it wide open for sequels. It’s a cash cow – everyone involved will want another slice of the pie eventually.
- I didn’t like the camping stuff. I did a lot of camping in England when I was younger, just me in a tent by a lake for 2-5 days. You need all the survival stuff, food, clean water, warm clothes (it gets cold at night, even in summer) etc... Maybe I missed the bit where it was all magically explained but for me that was stretching the boundaries of plain reality a little too far.

As to what I did like, it’s all been said before so I won’t re-iterate, although I must say I loved the scene where he said goodbye to the Dursleys.

#194 - September 01, 2007, 07:48 PM

CheezWeezil

There are so many subtle things from the earlier books that are tied up in books 7.  How she ever kept it all straight is nothing short of amazing.  My wife pointed out one of these:

Early in book 5 after Dudley and Harry have been attacked by the dementors, Harry has to explain to Uncle Vernon what happened.  Uncle Vernon asks what dementors are, and AUnt Petunia is the one that responds that they guard the wizard prizon Azkaban.  Harry asks here hows she knows that and she replied, "I heard that awful boy tell... her".  Naturally we all assumed she was referring to Harry's father, James.  In fact, as we found in book 7, she was talking about Severus Snape.

Another is from book 6 when Dumbledore come to collect Harry prior to his returning to Hogwarts.  He is introduced to Aunt Petunia, and Dumbledore says, "We have corresponded, of course."  We are tricked by Harry's response about the Howler, but in book 7 we find that Petunia had written to Hogwarts wanting to attend.

Very cool.

I enjoyed book 7 immensely.  I was saddened that Fred Weasley had to die though. He and George gave a lot of live to the series.

I had three particular lines in the book that made me laugh for several minutes:

1) "Accio Hagrid!"

2) In describing Bathilda Bagshot: "She's nutty as squirrel poo"

3) And Mrs. Weasley's much touted response to Bellatrix Lestrange's attack on Ginny  :dr

Loved it through and through.  I was glad it was such a long book.  As I was reading, I wouild periodically check to see how thick the remaining pages were, and was satisfied to see there aws still a lot to go.  I've read it twice, and have read the other six since reading 7 the first time.  What can I say, I like Harry Potter!
#195 - September 01, 2007, 08:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI RAE
I've read 7 three times now and I keep going back and re-reading passages from the others. I really love Harry as a character. He doesn't want the attention, he would prefer not to be the leader but he takes on the responsibility because it was thrust on him. I think reading the seventh book on its own doesn't give you a true idea of who Harry is - at that point, everyone has realized that the only one who will be able to end Voldemort's reign is Harry. He's the only one who has the power to win. He grew up a lot in book six and that growth shows in seven.

I watched the movies this week as well and while I enjoyed them more this time, I still think that they can't show you Harry's character growth. They are fun to watch but they have to leave out so much detail that you don't get to know Harry the way you do when you read all the books.

I wouldn't mind having more stories - maybe as his life as an Auor. We know he will live, and we know that he is happy in his later life (thank goodness after what happened his first 17 years!) but I'm sure the books will be wonderful. After re-reading the series, I am convinced Rowling is brilliant. The books are not perfect - but they are fun reads with a good mixture of humor and heart tugging scenes.

Working in a bookstore, I see people of all ages coming in for the books. It's interesting how people who wouldn't read the series before are now coming in to buy them all. And they love them. There are very few authors who fascinate such wide, diverse group.

LindaB
#196 - September 02, 2007, 06:24 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I know this thread is ancient, but I had to add my story for posterity. I was staying in a hotel the day HPVII came out and had pre-ordered it on Amazon.com. I was so excited to read it, but when I got my package, it was empty!

My husband kindly refrained from poking fun at me, and instead told the front desk clerk that the book needed to be put back in the box by the morning.

Sure enough, 8am, it was returned in near-perfect condition.

Kudos to an author who can write a book so compelling that someone actually stole it and read it all night!
#197 - June 03, 2011, 09:32 PM

Members: