SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Harry Potter--Deathly Hallows discussion: SPOILERS!

Discussion started on

Kim

Just finished... There are so many great posts here, I can't add to them, but I have some questions--can anyone help me out?

1. Voldemort's soul was fractured... and then the pieces destoryed... so how come he was still so "together" at the end? How come I thought that breaking the Horcruxes would kill him? He didn't even seem to notice...

2. Yuk! What was the flopping, tied up baby-like creature at King's Cross?

Good read! Feeling a little emotional about everything...
#91 - July 25, 2007, 10:59 AM

AooH

I think Voldemort was running on simply the physical and mental plane at the end of the book- he had been so callous with his soul that he didn't realize it was gone.
The flayed child thing was a fragment of Voldemort's soul, the part that was inside Harry.
#92 - July 25, 2007, 11:09 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yes, from the moment Dudley and Harry said goodbye, I knew the sad end was upon us. Sniff! Nice send-off, though.

The scarred baby was, I think, the bit of Voldemort's soul that he killed out of Harry. The general idea was for Harry to get rid of all of the Horcruxes first, then to do away with Voldemort. That way, the only soul left was the one in his body, and when that was gone, so was he. I liked how Harry was able to defeat him without turning into a killer himself.

From the point that Harry opens the snitch through the entire King's Cross chapter has got to be one of the hardest-hitting emotional moments I've read in a long time. I still feel like I'm carrying a bit of it with me.
#93 - July 25, 2007, 11:18 AM

Kim

Got it! I guess my eyes were blurring near that end and I missed that the baby was Voldemort's soul. Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not certain I still understand that Voldemort could still be human and alive and standing (before the duel). It seems that he fractured his soul, then was nearly killed when he tried killing HP all those years earlier, and then spent 10 years regaining strength... But then the soul is destroyed, and there he is, still standing and ready to fight HP.

I'll let it go, though, because it's a great book and I enjoyed it (but felt that the first 1/2 was draggy... I mean, how long would it take three bright young wizards to come up with these plans? Three days, maybe... but months? They're smarter than that. Oh well...)

Kim
#94 - July 25, 2007, 11:27 AM

emykate03

Ahhh. I'm satisfied. JKR is a genious when it comes to tying up a million loose strings. With about 100 pages left, I couldn't imagine how all the plot lines could come together and be resolved. She did it, though. I knew many characters would die. I'm relieved that Harry, Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, Luna and Neville lived. I thought Neville was a goner. The deaths were surprises but I don't think any of the losses were as hard as when Sirius or Dumbledore died. I loved when Harry dug Dobby's grave without magic.

My two minor disappointments: We saw less of Ginny than I would have liked and I wanted to know the characters' professions in the epilogue.

Still, I'm satisfied.
#95 - July 25, 2007, 07:34 PM

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
Confession: I've actually read it twice already. I'm not ready for it all to end and my eyes keep welling up when I think about all the scenes that I'll never get to read for the first time.

My favourite parts: Harry's walk to the forest, Ron and Hermione's kiss and Harry's response, Dobby, the scene where everyone believes that Harry is dead. Is it wrong that I also loved all the scenes where Harry was tortured by the pain in his scar and his visions were back and everything felt a little out of control. I loved that in the end he learned to control it.

What I'd change: Seriously, Harry needed to give Ginny a giant kiss in the great hall when it was all over. A bit cliche, but isn't that what we were all waiting for?
                             Nothing else. It was perfection.
#96 - July 25, 2007, 08:22 PM

MandyT

Confession: I've actually read it twice already. I'm not ready for it all to end and my eyes keep welling up when I think about all the scenes that I'll never get to read for the first time.

My favourite parts: Harry's walk to the forest, Ron and Hermione's kiss and Harry's response, Dobby, the scene where everyone believes that Harry is dead. Is it wrong that I also loved all the scenes where Harry was tortured by the pain in his scar and his visions were back and everything felt a little out of control. I loved that in the end he learned to control it.

What I'd change: Seriously, Harry needed to give Ginny a giant kiss in the great hall when it was all over. A bit cliche, but isn't that what we were all waiting for?
                             Nothing else. It was perfection.

sbk- we are soul twins!!  :) :)  I agree 100% with all of the above.  I haven't read it for the second time yet though, partly because I was so emotionally drained by the first go round and partly because I'm not ready to read those scenes not for the "first time"... I worry some of the magic will wear off.  Hooray for Harry and a wonderful end to his story!!
#97 - July 25, 2007, 10:36 PM

Z-cat

Completely dorky info you can get if you spend too much time dwelling on that epilogue-

Harry was born in 1980 (I gather because his parents died in 81, on the tombstones)
That means it's only 1998 at the end of the last book. In the Epilouge, Harry would be about 36, and Ginny would be 35.
That also means that today, Harry would be 27, and already have a 3 year old son, a 2 year old son, and a daughter on the way.
He and Ginny didn't waste much time, did they?
#98 - July 26, 2007, 12:53 PM

schmara

Wow. What else to say, huh? I was happy to see some of my theories confirmed, though! I reread all of the books beforehand, and I knew, in book 2, that Harry was a horcrux - it says so right at the end when he asks Dumbledor something like, "So Voldemort put a bit of himself in me, then?" BINGO! And, although I never loved Snape, I was so happy to see he was loyal to the end!

About the epilogue - in the Today Show interview, she said she had written a longer one with a lot more information in it, but it dragged on too much, so she had to make it short and sweet. For those who would like to know - Ron and Harry revamped the Auror department and Hermione is a big shot in the Magical Law Enforcement Dept. She doesn't say what Luna does - unfortunately. I love Luna!

I have loved being around as the story has unfolded!
#99 - July 26, 2007, 01:03 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
She did say something in one of the interviews I saw on the internet today (USA Today or the Today Show) about Luna. She's come to realize that a few of her father's beliefs were actually wrong, but she's still Luna--she's the magical equivalent of a naturalist, and goes around the world trying to discover new creatures.
#100 - July 26, 2007, 01:44 PM

Athena529

I posted links to the interview mentioned above in this thread:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=20526.0;topicseen

I'm curious to know who the second character to get a "reprieve" was. Hagrid, perhaps?
#101 - July 26, 2007, 02:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Done!

I liked the way it all wrapped up, JK is a master at characters, and the plot was brilliant.  I liked how the scene where Ron's trying to "kill" the Horcrux turned into Harry telling Ron that he and Hermione are only friends -- like the scene between Leia and Han in Star Wars VI. :)  The fast-paced action of the last quarter was excellent.

My issues -- too long.  I know, I know, ppl like to stay in this story, but some parts in the first 3/4 dragged for me and it could've been wrapped up with a lot less words and repetition.  I didn't like how fast Snape was killed, I didn't like the info-dumping of his entire past and all the answers about him and Dumbledor's relationship, and I didn't like the info-dumping when Harry is "killed" the first time and talking to Dumbledore.  Seemed way too easy.

But overall I was satisfied with the way the series wrapped up.
#102 - July 26, 2007, 02:43 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus

That also means that today, Harry would be 27, and already have a 3 year old son, a 2 year old son, and a daughter on the way.

Well, James and Lily wasted even less time conceiving Harry!  Weren't they only twenty when he was born?
#103 - July 26, 2007, 02:47 PM

Z-cat

Yeah, apparently, there is no such thing as "college" in the wizarding world. Or, University, I suppose, since they're British.
Everyone just pairs up after high school. It is kind of sweet, though. All those childhood sweethearts.
#104 - July 26, 2007, 05:05 PM

Fred's death affected me more deeply than any fictional character's death has affected me before.  I actually glaze over every once in a while and tear up when I remember that he's gone, that he died laughing and that George has to go it alone.  Weird, I know ... I ultimately realized that his death makes me want to carpe diem the heck out of life, but I still miss him.

For some reason, it hasn't kicked in for me that Snape is dead.  I read the death scene.  I teared up during his memories.  Still, as I read people's thoughts about the book and watch music videos about Snape and Lily, I keep forgetting that he actually died.

I think Snape's storyline was, and is, my favourite of the series.  And the most complex.  Books 1 to 6, I was convinced that James and Lily were the ultimate tragic couple, and I loved them together, and felt awful for how they were torn apart and torn from Harry.  All I saw was the love between them, the love that grew near the end of their Hogwarts years.

Now, though ... I still feel that Lily made the right choice.  I think Snape's soul was sick, to put it bluntly.  I think it was twisted and events coiled it even more tightly.  But James had his issues, too.  His verbal abuse of Snape had to be incredibly damaging, just as much, if not more so, as Snape's Dark Art attacks on him and his friends.

I remind myself every once in a while, Well, Sirius tried to lead Snape to his DEATH, and yet you love(d) him!  And I still love James, I still feel that Lily made the right choice, but that doesn't stop me from seeing the varnish stripped away from the Lily/James relationship.  Maybe that's what makes it so interesting, that the varnish vanished and you finally saw their relationship for something much closer to what it really was.

I enjoyed this book so much, right up there with 3, 5, and 6. :) Also, anyone who wants to see a neat music video about Snape and Lily, check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCUhkpzcBcY
#105 - July 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
- Victoria -

Writing Coaching: vlawinning.ca
Blog: victorialynnfry.blogspot.ca
Twitter: twitter.com/victorialfry

Amy Spitzley

The day after I finished the book I was driving around town with my kids and I was thinking about the Fred thing, and found myself getting all teary, wondering what would happen to George, how he'd handle it and everything. I had to sternly remind myself that it is a story and to stop thinking about it while I was driving! (grin)
Mayber it's just to comfort myself, but I think George and Fred must have discussed what would happen if one of them didn't make it. I mean, they were together all the time, shared a room and a business, and knew what they were getting into with Dumbledore's Army and the war, and then with George's injury--I think they must have had some really deep talks. I like to think that would help George at least a little.
As for the lack of college, with something like an Auror wouldn't there be a lot of training? And there are professors--they must have more education somewhere, to teach them how to teach and all that. I'm thinking there would be at least two years, minimum, of training for any of the major characters, job-wise, before they start really hooking up. Still leaves them pretty darn young, though!
AMY
#106 - July 26, 2007, 07:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I had to wait until my kids finished the book, and so I finally managed to get through it last night around 1pm! I thought I was being such the good mother by waiting my turn.

Anyway - I truly enjoyed it. I think it may be my favorite yet, although Prizoner of Azkaban is a VERY close second.

Amy - that is so funny that you had those thoughts about Fred and George because I wondered some of the same things. In fact, in the epilogue, I keep asking JKR, what about George? What about George? What is he doing? Fred's death really bothered me. I keep wondering why it was necessary to kill him off. I was also bothered by both Lupin and Tonks dying without any explanation.

I enjoyed the back story of Dumbledore's life. He become such a three dimensional character in the last two books.

I found myself really missing Snape in this book. For such a big character, with such a huge unanswered question at the end of book 6, he played a very small part in book 7.  And I agree with others who mentioned that his death seemed so quick. I was thinking he would battle with Voldemort and die in that battle.

I think someone already mentioned this, but the best scene, in my opinion, was when Hermione and Ron finally kiss and Harry says, "OI! There's a war going on!" I laughed my head off! I also liked the book that Ron gives Harry on his birthday about dealing with women - very funny too!

Thanks, JKR for the ride!

Jody
#107 - July 26, 2007, 09:29 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Amy Spitzley

Another bit I keep forgetting to mention, although I think someone else has, was Percy getting back together with his family, and Fleur trying to defuse the awkwardness by asking Lupin about the baby. I love him going "Here! I have a picture!" in the middle of a reunion in the middle of a war. (grin)
And is it just me, or do you guys totally think Hermione will hyphenate her name? I can just see an important-looking offfice with Hermione Granger-Weasley on the gold nameplate. And the office will be immaculate, of course. (grin)
There is a very serious possibility that I need a life.

AMY
#108 - July 27, 2007, 06:29 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Oh I don't know, Amy--I thought I spotted you when I was at Flourish and Blotts the other day, didn't I?

By the way, if anyone wants to see what the Forest of Dean (where they picked up the sword) really looks like, here's a link: http://www.cinderfordbrassband.co.uk/tall-forest.jpg
#109 - July 27, 2007, 07:16 AM

Ronni

Completely dorky info you can get if you spend too much time dwelling on that epilogue-

Harry was born in 1980 (I gather because his parents died in 81, on the tombstones)
That means it's only 1998 at the end of the last book. In the Epilouge, Harry would be about 36, and Ginny would be 35.

If Ginny'd had her way, they'd have gotten it on on Harry's birthday.  My bf pointed that out to me and when I went back and re-read it, and yes, it seems to imply that Ginny had a very...special gift in mind for Harry, but they were interrupted by Ron.  Heh.
#110 - July 27, 2007, 07:43 AM

Amy Spitzley

I didn't read it that way, either, but you may have something there, Ronni...

AMY
#111 - July 27, 2007, 07:53 AM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh I don't know, Amy--I thought I spotted you when I was at Flourish and Blotts the other day, didn't I?

By the way, if anyone wants to see what the Forest of Dean (where they picked up the sword) really looks like, here's a link: http://www.cinderfordbrassband.co.uk/tall-forest.jpg

Fabulous picture!
#112 - July 27, 2007, 08:06 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Wordaholic
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
If Ginny'd had her way, they'd have gotten it on on Harry's birthday.  My bf pointed that out to me and when I went back and re-read it, and yes, it seems to imply that Ginny had a very...special gift in mind for Harry, but they were interrupted by Ron.  Heh.

Ha ha! Now I'm going to have to reread that part...
Karen
#113 - July 27, 2007, 09:59 AM
Out now: DEADLY DELICIOUS

www.karenkincy.com
Twitter: @karenkincy

Kelsey

I finally finished the book after taking my own sweet time.  It was nice knowing what to expect, yet still having fun discovering it for myself.

I got teary during Dobby's burial, when folks dressed him and said thanks.

I smiled at some funny, snarky parts, like "nutty as squirrel poo."

I felt more should've happened between Ginny and Harry.

I wanted eye contact between Harry and Snape's headmaster portrait (which I know wasn't even mentioned) with some sort of knowing and kind understanding.

I was glad to hear in an interview with JKR, that Harry and Ron where revolutionizing auroring and Her. was somewhere up top in the MOM.

Overall, a pleasing, satisfying read.  :yup
#114 - July 27, 2007, 10:43 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Just home from vacation...I thought it was the best of the series. I loved it and am totally satisfied. And I am so glad that Snape was good and I don't care that hid death was not heroic, because his life was.

The only part that didn't work for me was the relationship between Harry and Ginny. I wasn't feeling it in this book so even in the epilogue I was left feeling cold about their relationship.

Dobby and Duddley made me cry. And then I cried at the end because it's over.

And then I cried because I'm so glad that I got to live through the release of the the books. There's something delightful about the anticipation of the next book, and drawing out the reading of the series over years. It's not quite the same as reading all seven books one after the other.

Does anyone else find that after reading HP they have HP dreams? I experienced this with the first book and it reccurs every time I read a new HP.
#115 - July 27, 2007, 06:30 PM
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 06:37 PM by Cassandra »

Does anyone else find that after reading HP they have HP dreams? I experienced this with the first book and it reccurs every time I read a new HP.

Yes.  Most definitely.  Honestly, I've recreated and rewritten several scenes from HP7 in my dreams this week.  I wake up feeling the same way.  I can't believe it's over.  I don't want it to be.  Not unless I can give Harry an actual hug.  I think that's the only satisfactory closure there could ever be for me. 

I think I dreamt the most in the book (5, I think?) where Dumbledore was largely avoiding Harry.  I could totally relate to what Harry was going through, and I felt his pain every step of the way.  I understood his emotions when his friends didn't understand his temper or lack of patience, too.  I cried as much for him in that book as I did for Book 7.

My friend and I were talking about Harry today.  I asked her, in a non-commital way, "Would it be weird to be somewhat, sort of, attracted to Harry, now that's he's grown up and taken on the evil dark lord?"

Thought she was about to make fun of me when she said, "You mean like having a crush?  Umm...only if it would be weird to feel shameless attraction toward Snape!"  Then she turned beet red and couldn't look at me. :o

Yup.  I think it's fair to say that some of us are having HP dreams...

buglady
#116 - July 27, 2007, 06:42 PM

MandyT

I can't STOP dreaming about Harry, Ron and Hermione!!  I read the whole series over just before starting Deathly Hallows, most intensely in the past 3 weeks or so (I read 5, 6 and 7 in that time), so EVERY night they're there!  I can't stop thinking about them during the day either, so I guess it makes sense.  Last night I had an awful dream about Dobby's burial, they were burying another girl killed by Voldemort right next to him.  It was weird and sad... I don't mind dreaming about them, but I would appreciate them a bit more on the pleasant side!!
#117 - July 27, 2007, 08:22 PM

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
I've been dreaming about them all like crazy, too! I never remember the dreams, but I wake up feeling like they've been around all night long. It's kinda strange. It's so hard to let it all go. I did the same thing and read all the books together back to back before DH came out and I've been dreaming HP dreams for a month now. I love it, actually. I don't want them to stop.

#118 - July 28, 2007, 01:48 AM

eryan75

Done, finally.   :snail:
Loved it too.   :lov:
Agree, the deaths at the end were too fast. :angel
JKR has a true gift in the way she words things...my favorite line:

pg 703 "..Harry, whowse heart was now throwing itself against his rib cage as though determined to escape..." 

I swear I could feel it. :eek5:

Cheers,
Erin
#119 - July 28, 2007, 07:08 AM

MandyT

pg 703 "..Harry, whose heart was now throwing itself against his rib cage as though determined to escape..." 

I swear I could feel it. :eek5:

Cheers,
Erin

AGREED Erin!  That whole scene from the second he found out he had to die to standing in front of Voldemort I could have BEEN Harry I was so sucked in.  My heart was pounding exactly like that and I was shaking and sobbing the whole way!  Some of the best writing I have ever read.

I was actually surprised to find out Harry was indeed a Horcrux... it had been so overly predicted that I was certain it WOULDN'T be so... but there you go, most of the "surprise" twists were predicted by someone I guess... it's a big Harry Potter obsessed world out there! :)  I was least surprised by the Snape/Lily connection.  Once I heard someone guess that, I thought that would be the absolute only way Snape could be even remotely good. 

I think it's odd how people call him a hero now.  I still strongly disliked him even at the end (though I teared up at the "look at my eyes" part along with everyone else).  I pitied him to be sure, and he was definitely brave... but a hero?  Not so much.  More like a sad, twisted man who never managed to recover from the injuries to his soul in early life.  I thought it was very thought provoking how the theme of love being the true saving magic, the channel of real grace, came through here... his love for Lily was his only thread left to his humanity. 

Funny to me how some so-called Christians can call the books a "vision from demons" when the clear central theme is saving grace through sacrificial love, first Harry's mother for him and then Harry himself for his friends.  Interesting how the point can get missed when one gets hung up in doctrine and fear.
#120 - July 28, 2007, 01:37 PM

Members: