SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Thirteen Reasons Why

Discussion started on

..you need to read this book.

1. The hype surrounding the sale.
2. The hype surrounding the release.
3. Talented debut author. (With even more hype!)
4. Intriguing title.
5. Cool cover.
6. Even cooler concept.
7. Clay’s frustrated and confused voice.
8. Hannah’s troubled and hopeless voice.
9. Compelling suspense.
10. Raw emotion.
11. A setting you will long remember.
12. A premise you won’t soon forget.
13. A profound ending that will really make you think.

THIRTEEN REASONS WHY by Jay Asher
will be released October 2007 by Razorbill/Penguin

I have to admit, at first I wasn’t sure about the book. Just like when you hear a lot of good things about a movie. When you get to see it, it doesn't always live up to all the hype. I also thought maybe I was too old to relate to the experiences of the characters. Has it been too long since high school? Has that much changed? Maybe my life experiences would make the problems the characters faced seem trivial. But with each side of a new tape, I was drawn in. The problems became real. Like a snowball, each action built on the next until I completely understood Hannah’s despair.

The interesting thing is, you know the outcome. You know Hannah does kill herself. You know Clay can’t do anything to change that. But you also know something needs to change. Once I got to this point, I couldn’t put the book down. I wanted so badly for Clay to not be on the list. I wanted Hannah to snap out of it. She was making me angry. I couldn’t put the book down, until I got to the last chapter. Then I waited. I knew I wanted to control where I was, and what I was surrounded by when I read the ending. I knew I wanted to be able to reflect on everything that had just taken place in the last 24 hours.

But the real reason to read this novel is the chance that, just maybe, it might cause someone to make a different choice in their actions, that ultimately could make a difference in someone’s life.
#1 - August 23, 2007, 10:09 AM

goadingthepen

Wow!
My 14 year old son finished this last week and was floored by it.
I just finished it today.
I know now why he was floored.

Jay handles a very tough situation in a way that makes you really stop and think. There have been two kids within a close proximity of my sons "circle" commit suicide with in the last year. It is a very real horrific situation that faces these kids. This book is a wake-up call. Following along with Clay as Hannah's story unfolds, revealing how every miniscule action leads to another, forcing the reader to take note.

This book has the potential of really making a difference on both sides of this issue.

I was held captive reading this book. Just as Clay couldn't stop listening until he reached the end of the tapes, I couldn't lay the book down.

I am horrid with reviews, but when I find something like this I just want to pass it along!

I was fortunate enough to receive and arc copy......But it will be out this month! The 17th I think. I definitely recommend putting it on your list.
#2 - October 05, 2007, 06:44 PM

After Thirteen Reasons Why wins the Newbery, I wonder who Hollywood will cast in the movie!!!   

This is a book that WILL change history before it happens.

If Jay Asher NEVER writes another book, this one is ENOUGH.   It is a story that will change everybody's life who reads it.  It is a story that will make us ALL better human beings.

It is a story that every single principal should have, and every single student body should listen to. If the schools were smart they would all buy an audio cassette version and BLAST it over the intercom so every student can hear this story.  It is that amazing!!!  I guarantee you, each student, every person, who reads or listens to this book will be forever changed.  This book is worth more than any amount of money that anybody will every spend on education. A life lesson, from the heart and hands of Jay Asher.

It will help us to STOP and think before we do things and what effect our actions have on somebody else.

Jay should be VERY proud of the DIFFERENCE his words will make for every single reader.

A POWERFUL READ!

Grateful that I read it.
Brenda
#3 - October 23, 2007, 04:31 AM
10 Turkeys in the Road, Marshall Cavendish, Scholastic, Amazon 2011
The Lake Where Loon Lives, Islandport Press 2014
TOUCHDOWN, MeeGenius 2014

nomi

A POWERFUL READ!

Grateful that I read it.
Brenda

Me, too!  Take a look at this: http://www.boysbloggingbooks.blogspot.com/  It's a great new blog, and their first review is Thirteen Reasons Why. They even have a great author interview with Jay Asher!  I think this will be a blog to watch.  I don't know where to post that kind of information.
Naomi
#4 - November 14, 2007, 08:56 PM

T. Pierce

I started this book on a flight from LAX to Providence and I couldn't put it down. This was one of the most compelling books I've read in a while. I was a little hesitant about reading a story about suicide, but since Jay is from my SCBWI region, and his book is a hot topic, I decided to read it. He did an awesome job of handling a difficult subject. I would feel so bad for Hannah that I wanted to cry, yet I'd get so mad at her that I wanted to throttle her.  My heart went out to Clay. I wanted to jump into the book and give the secondary characters a piece of my mind. I was constantly thinking back to high school, wondering if I had been guilty of such insensitive behavior. This story really did touch my emotional core.  Jay's years of hard work crafting this story really paid off well.

Terry P.

To read my review of it, visit my blog at http://www.terrypierce.blogspot.com

#5 - November 27, 2007, 06:17 PM
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:02 PM by T. Pierce »

Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region cencal
FYI - I interviewed Jay.  I posted it on my blog this morning:

www.writersgroupblog.blogspot.com

He's pretty inspirational!

Lisa